US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This cracked me up last night. Jon Stewart rips Fox on the Common/WH issue.
Video: Jon Stewart Slams Fox News Over "Common" Issue! (Shows Proof That They Are Hypocritical)

On the illegal immigrant issue, why do people support giving illegals certain rights when they are not legally in the US? Isn't hard enough for people legally seeking to work in the US to acquire the appropriate papers yet we'll just give those that crossed the border freedom to do whatever?

Assuming I'm even questioning the right stuff here. I'm not familiar with all the policy talk in regards to this but am curious why some are in favor of and others are not. Spare me the racial undertones however. I believe it foes far deeper than that.
I agree. Go to any US Embassy overseas (in the Third world at least) and you see lines and lines of people waiting outside, day and night, for the chance to acquire a visa. Why should illegals be viewed in a different light? America welcomes all who come in, the right way.

That the majority of those who oppose a hard crackdown on illegals are Hispanics says it all.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
so why do illegals come to the US?

Because they know there are unscrupulous employers who are willing to hire them.

If we put these employers behind bars instead of just fining them (which they just add on as a cost of operations) do you think they will still hire illegals?

People in congress on both sides are in on this game.

building fences and border patrols?? :lol:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Trump giving up. What a shame.

"I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election," Mr Trump added.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Teahadists and the GOP combined to lose a secure Republican seat in NY. Things aren't looking good for the GOP in North Carolina either. They're trying to ram through an unpopular budget. They weren't in power for over 100 years and probably won't be for another if they manage to pass the budget.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Teahadists and the GOP combined to lose a secure Republican seat in NY. Things aren't looking good for the GOP in North Carolina either. They're trying to ram through an unpopular budget. They weren't in power for over 100 years and probably won't be for another if they manage to pass the budget.
They tried to sell cutting Medicare to a mostly ageing populace in that county, everyone saw it coming. Even Boehner went there to try and save the issue

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Believe it or not, this isn't a spoof...

Excal

Not really sure what would lead one to believe that was a spoof. I'm hardly a fan of Palin, and the line "From Washington to Lincoln to Reagan" was laughable, but it seemed a good ad for its intended audience.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Aside from the animatronic mama grizzly, and the screechy voice, I suppose it was ok.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I hope she runs. I hope she wins the republican nomination.

Please, Jesus. If you're really there. Give us Palin. You couldn't follow through on Trump; let's be honest, that was a little bit too far out there, but this is the perfect amount of crazy. Jon Stewart begs you. Stephen Colbert begs you. The entirety of MSNBC begs you. Hell, Fox News begs you!

Red Dreams

I hope she runs. I hope she wins the republican nomination.

Please, Jesus. If you're really there. Give us Palin. You couldn't follow through on Trump; let's be honest, that was a little bit too far out there, but this is the perfect amount of crazy. Jon Stewart begs you. Stephen Colbert begs you. The entirety of MSNBC begs you. Hell, Fox News begs you!
Palin would be a God send..but I will settle for Bachmann :)

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I agree. Go to any US Embassy overseas (in the Third world at least) and you see lines and lines of people waiting outside, day and night, for the chance to acquire a visa. Why should illegals be viewed in a different light? America welcomes all who come in, the right way.
It doesn't though, I know of a few people who have got permanent residence in the US via overstaying visas and not having a legitimate right to remain. When I was at university in the US there was a Nigerian who grew up in England, as it turns out she was in Britain illegally despite going through the education system and using the NHS. When it became clear she was on the verge of being sent to a detention centre she somehow got a 90 day tourist visa to the US, enrolled at a university knowing that Americans don't deport you if enrolled at university, she has now married and has been granted permanent residence.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Believe it or not, this isn't a spoof...

'Freedom is a God given right.'

What does she even mean by that? Is this the same God that condoned slavery when setting out his basic moral code on Mount Sinai? The same God that commands people to worship him and live by his rules... or else? That God?

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
'Freedom is a God given right.'

What does she even mean by that? Is this the same God that condoned slavery when setting out his basic moral code on Mount Sinai? The same God that commands people to worship him and live by his rules... or else? That God?
The Americans believe rights are God-given on the basis that somehow makes them incontrovertible and above man messing around with them.

Red Dreams

It doesn't though, I know of a few people who have got permanent residence in the US via overstaying visas and not having a legitimate right to remain. When I was at university in the US there was a Nigerian who grew up in England, as it turns out she was in Britain illegally despite going through the education system and using the NHS. When it became clear she was on the verge of being sent to a detention centre she somehow got a 90 day tourist visa to the US, enrolled at a university knowing that Americans don't deport you if enrolled at university, she has now married and has been granted permanent residence.
its not that easy to get the green card this way. I know a friend who came to the US to study, married an American and still had to go to court to get his green card.

another Argentinian couple we know also came as students and they had to pay substantial money to an attorney to help them get green cards.

People do get to stay eventually. But they do make it pretty hard.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like Rick Perry may enter the race. If he does, he would be the first legitimate challenger to Obama imo.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Mitt Romney has to win the primaries. He would do the best if he were just selected, but he'll struggle to win the nomination. His healthcare history in Mass. will hurt him a lot and he's already expecting to lose Iowa...again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Mitt Romney has to win the primaries. He would do the best if he were just selected, but he'll struggle to win the nomination. His healthcare history in Mass. will hurt him a lot and he's already expecting to lose Iowa...again.
Yeah Romney's conservative credentials aren't all there. He's strong on the business side, but oddly liberal (as Republicans go) on social issues. That plus health care would be problems for him. Conversely, Perry is the type of candidate who could step into the vacuum and do well, particularly as there really are no other viable candidates. The big downside to Perry are his social conservative positions, which may be tolerated in Texas, but would probably cost him in a national election, especially against a fantastic campaigner like Obama.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
So you see it to be similar to Howard Dean in 2004? Overwhelmingly favoured democrat who has the institutional support, the money and the polling numbers but falters early on and falls away to Kerry?

That is always the case though really, if you are the frontrunner and you don't take Iowa and New Hampshire you are no longer the frontrunner as ridiculous as that is.

Excal

So you see it to be similar to Howard Dean in 2004? Overwhelmingly favoured democrat who has the nstitutional support, the money and the polling numbers but falters early on and falls away to Kerry?

That is always the case though really, if you are the frontrunner and you don't take Iowa and New Hampshire you are no longer the frontrunner as ridiculous as that is.
There's a bit of logic though in that when a heavily-favored candidate loses IA and/or NH, it's a failure of retail politics, i.e. the candidate failing to connect with voters on a personal level.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
There's a bit of logic though in that when a heavily-favored candidate loses IA and/or NH, it's a failure of retail politics, i.e. the candidate failing to connect with voters on a personal level.
Though that is on top of ideological positions, one is a socially conservative, agrarian republican state and the other is an anti-taxation, small government, I'll protect my rights with a shotgun, leaning republican state. It doesn't matter how good you are at connecting with voters in these states if your agenda contradicts their views. If these two states were not first, and the likes of New Jersey, Maine, Maryland or Conneticut were first then Rudy Giuliani would have taken the nomination three years ago.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Though that is on top of ideological positions, one is a socially conservative, agrarian republican state and the other is an anti-taxation, small government, I'll protect my rights with a shotgun, leaning republican state. It doesn't matter how good you are at connecting with voters in these states if your agenda contradicts their views. If these two states were not first, and the likes of New Jersey, Maine, Maryland or Conneticut were first then Rudy Giuliani would have taken the nomination three years ago.
Except that Iowa isn't really a Republican state. Its gone blue five out of the last six general elections.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Question - do people think that Obama could lose in 2012 if the US economy doesn't pick up?
Could? Yes. Unlikely I'd say though. Wait until the Republicans and Tea Party start kicking lumps out of each other in the nomination process.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Question - do people think that Obama could lose in 2012 if the US economy doesn't pick up?
If the economy were to go backwards and fuel prices stay as high as they are (or go even higher), I'd say that someone like Rick Perry could win. In such a scenario, he would probably sweep all of the former Bush red states in the south, midwest, and west, and reclaim Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, and one or two others to pip Obama in a very tight race. The odds are stacked against it, but its not impossible.

Neutral

BTV
lol newt gingrich just equivocated muslims with nazis and communists.
Not the 1st time he has done this either...he and that feckwit King from NY consistently do this.

This has pretty much become the norm, yet if we complain, we get told, why are Muslims being so precious, and how Politically Correct the world has become :rolleyes:

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
We have another phrase to enter the lexicon of inane American politicaldom - Michele Bachmann defines herself as a 'constitutional conservative'.

Status
Not open for further replies.