US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 8, 2016

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
suddenly the Republicans are talking about changing demographics and the Latino vote... duh.

so what are they going to do to attract them?

wear sombreros and give out taco lunches?
GW was good at courting the Latino vote, because he can speak a lil' Spanish.

They'll need a bilingual candidate if they want to reach out to what is actually a fairly conservative demographic. They work hard, love God and probably aren't that in favour of gay marriage. It's a match made in heaven.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Put one on the VP ticket seems the best bet. Then they can be as crazy as they like. Beats actually having to change.

Drainy

Put one on the VP ticket seems the best bet. Then they can be as crazy as they like. Beats actually having to change.
yeah, I can see them doing something superficial like that.

Got to say this is all lined up to be Obama's (positive) legacy, Immigration Reform and fingers crossed Puerto Rico becoming a state.

Shame he'll probably agree to a 'Grand Bargain' that screws over poorer people and not get much from the rich.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
GW was good at courting the Latino vote, because he can speak a lil' Spanish.

They'll need a bilingual candidate if they want to reach out to what is actually a fairly conservative demographic. They work hard, love God and probably aren't that in favour of gay marriage. It's a match made in heaven.
Dubya was a moderate compared to the current crew running the GOP.
The current lot want to electrocute those coming across or worse.

Self deporting is mild.

Secondly, you were seeing the votes of the conservativ Latinos/Cubans in the vote share of about 25% or less.

Younger latinos want what everyone else wants..jobs, fair pay, health care.

Current GOP policies favor the wealthy. that was evident in the exit polls.

In short the GOP needs to move to the middle. The only way to do that is to cut themselves away from the religious right.

being fiscally conservative will not be too hard to sell but like most people they want teh basic things.

Jeb Bush himself said he could not run because of where the party is.

mjs020294

That would be a very strange thing to do now, at precisely the time life expectancy is getting longer. What is the retirement age in America? Around Europe people's working lives are being extended, presumably this is something that will be happening in America too.
They have a lower age limit. I don't particularity want someone in their late 70s making major decisions about our future.

Mockney

In short the GOP needs to move to the middle. The only way to do that is to cut themselves away from the religious right.
Nah, blacks & latinos are traditionally very religious in the US. They can quite happily keep pushing that shit. They just need to be less rich white men orientated.

Mockney

I don't think its helpful to think of "Latino vote" as a thing. Should look at it by Cuban American, Mexican American, etc.
Rubio - Martinez would cover both those bases. Who are we kidding, it's exactly how they're thinking.

Kaos

Cuban Americans are too small a group nationally, but might help the Repubs tip Florida in their favour. A lot of Mexicans already live in red states anyway (except NM).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rubio - Martinez would cover both those bases. Who are we kidding, it's exactly how they're thinking.
Rubio: "I have some ideas who I could place in various cabinet positions."

Unidentified neocon: "You just win the the election and we'll worry about the cabinet positions."

Rubio: "So I'm a puppet?"

Unidentified neocon: "No problem. We will just find another token Latino."

Rubio: "I'm your puppet."

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They're certainly going to have to refine their position on immigration, which, from what I gathered during the primaries, is somewhere between "deport yourself" and "let's build an enormous fence". Ironically that was Rick Perry's strongest subject.

Red Dreams

Nah, blacks & latinos are traditionally very religious in the US. They can quite happily keep pushing that shit. They just need to be less rich white men orientated.
Mock...no way blacks, latino or even most white people buy into the scary shit they are into. I mean the 'rape' candididates lost because they are seen as aliens even by your average weekly church going voter.

That is why they lost in states like Indiana and Missouri which otherwise would have been certain solid seats for the GOP.

Mockney

Yeah the rape shit was bonkers, but the insistent promotion of America as a God fearing christian country would sit perfectly fine.

The fair & balanced channel haven't mentioned the Democrats in about 4 hours now.

Ubik

Ironically, Hillary actually tends to do very well (comparatively) with white working class voters, so if the GOP just decided to put a Hispanic person up against her as a ploy to recapture some of that demographic without doing anything else, they'd probably lose a ton of votes elsewhere. They need to actually change, because the economy isn't going to be as bad as this in 4 years.

Ubik

:lol: Yes, that's more or less what'll really happen. I hope Bachmann runs again.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
In 4 years time Florida will have even less bitter old white people and hopefully some election reforms will have been enacted to prevent disenfranchisement of dem blocs. We may also be targetting Texas!

Ubik

He is an impressive guy no doubt. But he's completely unproven on the national level. And it'll be hard for him to win a Senate seat or Governor job in Texas.
Interestingly, his twin brother was elected to the House yesterday.

mjs020294

They need to actually change, because the economy isn't going to be as bad as this in 4 years.
The economy was pretty damned good in 2000 and the GOP managed to take the White House. No matter how good things maybe in 2016 the grass is always greener. The US is going through a massive adjustment and its a global economy now. The economy might be better in 2016 but most Americans will continue to be worse off year on year for at least another decade, and that will be the case no matter who is in the WH.

Ubik

I didn't say they wouldn't be able to, I said they needed to change in order to do it. Bush was a moderate compared to this lot, he never lost the Hispanic vote by over 40 points, and white voters were a much greater share of the electorate.

Red Dreams

In 4 years time Florida will have even less bitter old white people and hopefully some election reforms will have been enacted to prevent disenfranchisement of dem blocs. We may also be targetting Texas!
did you hear Obama mention the long lines for voting?
He said that will need to be fixed.
I expect some sort of reform...but with this GOP congress....

mjs020294

Here is an idea...have a POTUS election every four years and just vote for the two houses as well. Take all the State stuff off the fecking ballot, that would speed things up.

Red Dreams

I said the GOP needs to go to the middle. Been hearing that too especially on the media. But how does the GOP do this? What polices can they offer that appeals to everyone.

I think that is where the problem is. Because if you take the last election, what the Romney team tried to say was Blacks getting welfare checks, Latinos stealing our jobs...certainly in the primaries. This was a good reason not to vote for the democrats, who encourage this behaivour.

So a lot of their 'appeal' was to the prejudices of the white working class voter.

Now if they actually put forward polices that helped everyone, how would they be different from the democrats? Now of course they do push this 'trickle down ' economics....which the democrats has rebutted quite well this time around.

And we have not yet spoken about the religious/social issue voters.

Would moving to the middle, lose them this group? If they were forward looking, they may want to do this.

Just an observation. Looking at the racial make up of the crowd hearing the Romney concession and the crowd cheering the President at his victory speech.

That really summed it up.

The Democrats are really looking Forward.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I said the GOP needs to go to the middle. Been hearing that too especially on the media. But how does the GOP do this? What polices can they offer that appeals to everyone.

I think that is where the problem is. Because if you take the last election, what the Romney team tried to say was Blacks getting welfare checks, Latinos stealing our jobs...certainly in the primaries. This was a good reason not to vote for the democrats, who encourage this behaivour.

So a lot of their 'appeal' was to the prejudices of the white working class voter.

Now if they actually put forward polices that helped everyone, how would they be different from the democrats? Now of course they do push this 'trickle down ' economics....which the democrats has rebutted quite well this time around.

And we have not yet spoken about the religious/social issue voters.

Would moving to the middle, lose them this group? If they were forward looking, they may want to do this.

Just an observation. Looking at the racial make up of the crowd hearing the Romney concession and the crowd cheering the President at his victory speech.

That really summed it up.

The Democrats are really looking Forward.
The problem for the rapublicans is if they change policies to appeal to hispanics, they alienate the nutters and lose a chunk of support to tea party candidates who will pick off the reasonable ones in primaries.

Drainy

It is all looking good for the Democrats, but then I remember people got cocky after 2008 and 2010 was a royal asskicking.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It is all looking good for the Democrats, but then I remember people got cocky after 2008 and 2010 was a royal asskicking.
But the economy will have improved by the time the mid-terms come around. It's not the same.

Drainy

But the economy will have improved by the time the mid-terms come around. It's not the same.
Well.. fingers crossed. Europe is a timebomb, the banks are too, there are going to be massive cuts to government spending so probably a slow in growth.

Could be other things that come up, but I take your point.

Red Dreams

the talk amongst Democrats is they will be very aggressive in the 2014 elections.

Not just sit back. Every time Turtle Face and Boner put up a barrier and don't work with the president, they will use it as ammo against the GOP in 2014. They made a big mistake causing the long voter lines. They were very angry. they will remember this and come out in 2014. Plus the Obama machinery is still alive.

EDIT: Our numbers are much higher than the republicans. When we turn out, they cannot stop us.

forevrared

I'm expecting Bobby Jindal to be heavily involved for the Republicans.

Edit: Or I should say I would expect it. But knowing them, they'll run some old white guy who's out of touch with the whole country, like clockwork.