US soldier defects to North Korea through the DMZ after facing bad conduct discharge

RedDevilQuebecois

Surprised no one has been talking about this.

What do you think the US will or should do with him? Based on accounts of what he did in South Korea, that's the kind of guy that the US armed forces HATE having as creators of bad reputation.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Surprised no one has been talking about this.

What do you think the US will or should do with him? Based on accounts of what he did in South Korea, that's the kind of guy that the US armed forces HATE having as creators of bad reputation.
Leave him there?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They're gonna throw the books on him. Stash him somewhere never to be seen again
Do you reckon? How come? Because they’re worried about something specific he might do or just because he’s an American?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Or they will treat him well and use him for propogranda?
Certainly the later. As they tortured the last yank they had to the point of brain damage, amongst other things, resulting in his death soon after his return, I wouldn't be that confident he will be treated OK.

The United

Certainly the later. As they tortured the last yank they had to the point of brain damage, amongst other things, resulting in his death soon after his return, I wouldn't be that confident he will be treated OK.
Oh, yeah. I remember that now. Pretty grim for this guy then.

neverdie

what the feck would he have had to do to defect to north korea. bad conduct or mass murder

RedDevilQuebecois

Leave him there?
In the context that he is a low-level grunt and a troublemaker, that is what I would do. However, we all know that the DOD has done a lot of things in order to retrieve deserters like Bowe Bergdahl, who was with the Taliban for 5 years after desertion.

what the feck would he have had to do to defect to north korea. bad conduct or mass murder
Go figure. We know that he served 50 days of hard labor in a South Korean detention facility on charges of pushing and repeatedly punching a victim in the face in a club in Mapo-gu, Seoul back in last October. That kind of routine case involving drunk brawling is simply not enough to justify one's decision to defect.

Last edited:

Abizzz

I've long thought that dudes who randomly punch people in bars probably don't make the wisest life choices.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Nothing sensible I'd say.
Yeah probably a fair point that. If the stuff about him laughing while running to the area is true I wonder if he’s been having certain issues, especially with the stuff about him taking his cousin’s death hard and the fact he’s been acting out so much, and violently at that.

They'll treat him well, he'll be wheeled out for propaganda until the US offer something tempting enough for them to send him back. This is not like the other guy who was caught trying to steal from the hotel.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Imagine running into North Korea for
any reason, imagine thinking that would be a great course of action.

Simbo

Will be used for pure propaganda if he wants any quality of life over there.

In a similar vein, recently learned about these fellas. Sons of a US guy who defected during the Korean war.