Using AR/Camera to get real time offside VAR check

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance

Basically surely there could be a camera on a long slider behind the linesman, where it runs with the last player in real time with an augmented reality line which could be operated manually or automated. This could solve a problem of var checks because it would give instant feedback if offside or not similar to hawkeye in other sports. (the aus open just used it with no line judges).

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Couldn't even get an image of a pitch, he decided to draw a wobbly one instead.

SuperiorXI

This reminds me of that thread where that guy had a plan to turn us into some sort of footballing juggernaut demonstrated through some wacky ass backwards MS paint diagram.

Ajr

This reminds me of that thread where that guy had a plan to turn us into some sort of footballing juggernaut demonstrated through some wacky ass backwards MS paint diagram.
It does remind me of that too, but I was actually trying to have a serious discussion but seems I ruined it with my horrible paint drawing.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
My main concern is why this development has led to the decline of 'the D' at the edge of the box.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wasn't there one where someone drew a diagram of 9 outfield players shielding the one with a ball all the way up the pitch?

TheReligion

Abusive

Basically surely there could be a camera on a long slider behind the linesman, where it runs with the last player in real time with an augmented reality line which could be operated manually or automated. This could solve a problem of var checks because it would give instant feedback if offside or not similar to hawkeye in other sports. (the aus open just used it with no line judges).
Have you considered the use of a drone camera or one attached to a wire?

A track each side of the pitch wouldn't work in every stadium due to the layout and would be dangerous for players. It was also need to navigate around technical areas.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’ll never be real-time unless you have two cameras talking to each other, one when the player plays the pass and one for the movement of the attacker, and the first camera needs to know what team played the pass. It may already be possible but I’m not sure.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What about a drone camera that always buzzes near the last defender.

Ajr

Have you considered the use of a drone camera or one attached to a wire?

A track each side of the pitch wouldn't work in every stadium due to the layout and would be dangerous for players. It was also need to navigate around technical areas.
There could be one on a wire, and another camera following the ball that makes a screenshot of the camera on the wire as soon as the last pass is played.

tomaldinho1

They can make it easier and just use the GPS trackers players wear. Players wouldn't have to do anything differently and decisions would be instant.

TheReligion

Abusive
There could be one on a wire, and another camera following the ball that makes a screenshot of the camera on the wire as soon as the last pass is played.
I like the sound of this more so than the track. Can you put something together on a diagram and update the OP so others understand how that would work? Best of both.

youngrell

How does the goal line tech work with the ball? Something similar with the players would be ideal with the ref being notified instantly that there is an offside.

SuperiorXI

How does the goal line tech work with the ball? Something similar with the players would be ideal with the ref being notified instantly that there is an offside.
The goal line is a constant which makes everything easier. The defensive/striker line is all over the place.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What about we hire a guy to run up and down the side where the camera would be, and he watches the pass and the line at the same time and like flags or something when it's off.

Ajr

What about we hire a guy to run up and down the side where the camera would be, and he watches the pass and the line at the same time and like flags or something when it's off.
The goal line is a constant which makes everything easier. The defensive/striker line is all over the place.
Which is why we could track it, at least it could save var time by not having them have to draw the lines which takes ages

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No fair. Put the original back up, nobody quoted it :lol:
To be fair the whole wobbly pitch/bad drawing conversation still makes perfect sense with the current diagrm as well. Much more effort needed.

SuperiorXI

Which is why we could track it, at least it could save var time by not having them have to draw the lines which takes ages
With what?

Offsides are much more complex than a goal because of all the variables. Multiple body parts can or can't be offside, players are different shapes and sizes etc. and also there's the ball. You'd need technology to accurately ascertain the exact point in which the other players foot has hit the ball (or the ball has left the foot, not sure what the rule is).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People are making fun of you but tennis has something a lot less complicated implemented where line judges are no longer necessary.

The margin of error of Hawkeye will also be less of a problem in this case. Might need a few years but I think it's not a bad idea.

Cro_Devil

What about laser on boots of players, and its automaticly turn on on player who is the closest to his goalkeeper.
With today techology that could be posible.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Wouldn't the linesman block the view of the camera, or the camera the view of the crowd?