Utd bid to sign 16 year old twins from Man City - Darren Fletcher’s sons!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ok that’s another group for the collection
Think Ronaldo's lad played in the same team before he left as well, must have been interesting for the young lads potentially having Ronaldo and Rooney coming to watch their matches.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Kai Rooney is at United

Hardly damning. I daresay you would complain about the tea ladies if you could find a reason
He is now same as the Fletchers which suggest that things had since improved (and results at U18 level show that). That's what I said in previous posts.

Ultimately I don't blame ex players for sending their children elsewhere. Every parent sends his kids were he think its best for them. I would do the same and if you're a father then you'll probably do the same. However there's no denying that its damning for a United legend to be reduced to send his own kids to a rival club. United had won just 1 U18 North league in the past 10 years and in 2015-16 we even ended 11th. In comparison City won the darn thing 4 times in a row

Last edited:

Bigsid

He is now same as the Fletchers which suggest that things had since improved (and results at U18 level show that). That's what I said in previous posts.

Ultimately I don't blame ex players for sending their children elsewhere. Every parent sends his kids were he think its best for them. I would do the same and if you're a father then you'll probably do the same. However there's no denying that its damning for a United legend to be reduced to send his own kids to a rival club. United had won just 1 U18 North league in the past 10 years and in 2015-16 we even ended 11th. In comparison City won the darn thing 4 times in a row
L
The truth as always is somewwhere in the middle. The boys left City as the financial package offered combined with the pathway wasnt to there liking. They were in talks with Mukasa from West Ham so there may have been a feeling game time would be limited. City in a tit for tat nature then took Parker. Both Fletchers are strong physical players and given their Fathers position at the club will be pushed on without doubt.

It is obvious to all that our academy at U18 level at least has closed the gap on City. Our crop of u17 players are equal in my opinion if not better, though the u18s would be some way behind. City play 8 u18s in the 21s side permanently and i would expect them to win the Youth cup this season if they are brought back down. There is a huge chasm below the Manchester clubs in terms of financial clout at youth level and this is being played out more than ever. The other clubs simply struggle to compete with clubs like ours financially and the fact we sign 30 u18 players whilst other clubs may have 15 to 20 players at that level (sharing them between first team, 21s and 18s over the season) means that gap will get bigger.

Archer

I think that they believed that their kids will be better off at City rather then with us. Whether its down to structuring, coaching or simply better opportunities is down to debate. Its still damning though on our part. I am sure that the likes of Rooney, Fletcher, Van Persie and Cole would have rather sent them to United then to City.
Funny you even mention Cole's son,who specificly said in an interview that join City's academy is worst decision he ever made, should choose United or Southhampton instead, to support your claim.In fact, none of are with City's academy would suggest its a terrible academy, isn‘t it?
And just out of curiosity, what makes you think former players could just send their kid to United academy, not because United just not interested in them? For example, every year United would promote about 15 players from U16 to U18, if you have, let's say a forward as good as Greedwood, would you just drop him and save the spot for a former players's son if he plays same position?

Tyrion

I think you would have realised how things panned out can be used in favour of Fletcher had you even bothered to think this through .
Why? The source says it'll be for a substantial fee and we're relying on City agreeing to the deal. Plus if it worked out that they were at City, that implies they're better at training players than we are.

No, it isn't. Fletcher twins joined City when Darren Fletcher was playing for West Brom. He joined ManUtd in 2020, they joined CIty around 2015.
That I didn't know. I assumed they'd joined more recently.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You have to do what is best for your kids and what was best for Fletcher, Rooney, Van Persie etc was to send their kids to the City academy. And that was purely down to the sheer incompetence of David Gill along with the Glazers , where under their watch the academy was neglected.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Our Academy is set up differently.

We're set up to produce 1/2 top players a season, City are set up to pump numbers of decent players.

Hence, if you just want game time, City works, if you are top, top quality, you try and make it through United.

stealthy

Our Academy is set up differently.

We're set up to produce 1/2 top players a season, City are set up to pump numbers of decent players.

Hence, if you just want game time, City works, if you are top, top quality, you try and make it through United.
That’s correct i think regards United’s approach, however I think with all their resources City's approach was to produce top players in every position, so slightly misguided in that respect.

of course it doesn’t work out that way, United don’t get 1 or 2 wc players in every group, and they certainly don’t get 11 of them every other year, but aim high shoot low I suppose.

to be fair both clubs now doing well at first team level. Mainoo, Lewis etc, and both teams currently seem to have really good u18 teams, so it’s good healthy, competitive fixtures at most age groups.

looked it up and U18 derby January u21 February, they should be interesting games

greater wall

You have to do what is best for your kids and what was best for Fletcher, Rooney, Van Persie etc was to send their kids to the City academy. And that was purely down to the sheer incompetence of David Gill along with the Glazers , where under their watch the academy was neglected.
I think that city were just pumping more resources in their youth system. It's like choosing the best school for your kids. Now it's a case where is the best route through to the first team. Certainly for Jack Fletcher, the first team is crying out for a player of his profile. If he was three years older then he would be in the first team squad.

lysglimt

Scout
What was happening 1-3-5 years ago is one thing - but regardless what is happening at United now, clearly we are doing something right because I have never seen a better batch of young players than what we have now. If you look at the players who can play in this years FA Youth Cup - players born after august 31st 2005

Goalkeeper - Harryson and Myles

Defenders: Amass, Jackson, Nolan, Ogunneye, Kingdon, Kamason and Munro

Midfield: Baumann, 2xFletcher, McAllister, Williams, Scanlon, Fitzpatrick, Devaney, Moorhouse, Lacey and Curley

Attack: Musa, Missin, Biancheri, Sharpe and Wheatley

There are some seriously talented players who went even make the match-squad.

But the scary part is - that the following players are all eligible to play even next seasons FA Youth Cup:

Amass, Munro, Kamason, Jack and Tyler Fletcher, Lacey, Biancheri, Devaney, Musa, Baumann and Fitzgerald

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What was happening 1-3-5 years ago is one thing - but regardless what is happening at United now, clearly we are doing something right because I have never seen a better batch of young players than what we have now. If you look at the players who can play in this years FA Youth Cup - players born after august 31st 2005

Goalkeeper - Harryson and Myles

Defenders: Amass, Jackson, Nolan, Ogunneye, Kingdon, Kamason and Munro

Midfield: Baumann, 2xFletcher, McAllister, Williams, Scanlon, Fitzpatrick, Devaney, Moorhouse, Lacey and Curley

Attack: Musa, Missin, Biancheri, Sharpe and Wheatley

There are some seriously talented players who went even make the match-squad.

But the scary part is - that the following players are all eligible to play even next seasons FA Youth Cup:

Amass, Munro, Kamason, Jack and Tyler Fletcher, Lacey, Biancheri, Devaney, Musa, Baumann and Fitzgerald
Agreed.

JohnnyKills

Those who watch the academy regularly - how good is the current crop?

Looks like we're winning most of our games easily, which is great to see.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Looks like we're winning most of our games easily, which is great to see.
We've played poor today and still won 2-0. Theres plenty of talent there, I'm thinking there's maybe 3 or 4 potential United first teamers in the U18 group which would be an incredible return if it happens that way

JohnnyKills

We've played poor today and still won 2-0. Theres plenty of talent there, I'm thinking there's maybe 3 or 4 potential United first teamers in the U18 group which would be an incredible return if it happens that way
Great. Who are the standouts?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Among the very best at this level...and unusually well stocked in most departments; a marked improvement on some bygone squads (where you could sense that we were foundationally unbalanced and falling behind the leaders of the pack from a developmental, tactical and recruitment-related standpoint, despite boasting one or two players with who broke through the glass ceiling by virtue of pure, exceptional qualities). In some ways they offer a contrast to the senior team — methodical on the ball and unflinching under pressure (in terms of decision-making, and also a lot of them are quite press resistant), energetic and capable of pragmatism to systematically grind out results despite boasting talent in spades, and just seem well-drilled and educated in most aspects of the collective game (which accentuates their individual features).

Of course, you never quite know some someone will adjust to U-23 football, let alone the ruthless world of First Team football in the Premier League, but as @JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo pointed out, as many as 3-4 of them could have a genuine chance of making it: Jack Fletcher will surely get an opportunity (he is the Technical Director's son but also an impressively purposeful playmaker in his own right) and already seems to be on the fast track, Amass looks classy on most days and could realistically challenge Shaw in the near future, Lacey (currently injured) is arguably, or dare I say it unarguably, the most talented of the lot in terms of offensive skills and almost always makes goal contributions, Wheatley can be hit-and-miss but has evidenced a degree of improvement of late and flashes some promising characteristics (so he could be an unexpected riser), Fitzgerald is a nifty central midfielder and could well carve out a role for himself (at least as a valuable squad player), McAllister (primarily a midfielder, but frequently moved around) and Missin are could be multipurpose, hard-working “tactical options” if the Head Coach takes a shine to them.

As a fanbase, we should obviously keep our feet firmly on the ground (instead of tempting the cruel hand of fate and placing a heavy burden of expectations on 'em), and even the best prospects need a fair bit of development (as well as luck on their side) before they are properly ready (e.g. Lacey requires physical maturation, his workrate ebbs and flows and he can be a bit too cheeky for his own good), but it's hard not to feel genuinely excited! :)

JohnnyKills

Among the very best at this level...and unusually well stocked in most departments; a marked improvement on some bygone squads (where you could sense that we were foundationally unbalanced and falling behind the leaders of the pack from a developmental, tactical and recruitment-related standpoint, despite boasting one or two players with who broke through the glass ceiling by virtue of pure, exceptional qualities). In some ways they offer a contrast to the senior team — methodical on the ball and unflinching under pressure (in terms of decision-making, and also a lot of them are quite press resistant), energetic and capable of pragmatism to systematically grind out results despite boasting talent in spades, and just seem well-drilled and educated in most aspects of the collective game (which accentuates their individual features).

Of course, you never quite know some someone will adjust to U-23 football, let alone the ruthless world of First Team football in the Premier League, but as @JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo pointed out, as many as 3-4 of them could have a genuine chance of making it: Jack Fletcher will surely get an opportunity (he is the Technical Director's son but also an impressively purposeful playmaker in his own right) and already seems to be on the fast track, Amass looks classy on most days and could realistically challenge Shaw in the near future, Lacey (currently injured) is arguably, or dare I say it unarguably, the most talented of the lot in terms of offensive skills and almost always makes goal contributions, Wheatley can be hit-and-miss but has evidenced a degree of improvement of late and flashes some promising characteristics (so he could be an unexpected riser), Fitzgerald is a nifty central midfielder and could well carve out a role for himself (at least as a valuable squad player), McAllister (primarily a midfielder, but frequently moved around) and Missin are could be multipurpose, hard-working “tactical options” if the Head Coach takes a shine to them.

As a fanbase, we should obviously keep our feet firmly on the ground (instead of tempting the cruel hand of fate and placing a heavy burden of expectations on 'em), and even the best prospects need a fair bit of development (as well as luck on their side) before they are properly ready (e.g. Lacey requires physical maturation, his workrate ebbs and flows and he can be a bit too cheeky for his own good), but it's hard not to feel genuinely excited! :)
This is great mate, thanks so much for the detailed info.

Would Fletcher be ready for an FA Cup/Europa League debut later in the season?

Bigsid

This is great mate, thanks so much for the detailed info.

Sorry guys but these suggestions are bordering on insanity. Have you watched u18 football and compared it to first team level?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Never say never, but probably not, if I had to guess (note: the most regular/astute youth team observers are bound to have a more comprehensive view than petit moi). Even if he makes his debut this term, it would merely be a token gesture (i.e., not entirely indicative of his current standing). Jack is just 16 years old, like Amass, Lacey, Fitzgerald and his brother; he should graduate to more meaningful Premier League 2 football first (and start making an impact at that level), rack up valuable experience with the national team (exposure to some form of tournament football with youth squads would hold him in good stead), concentrate on improving his decision-making, application as well as upper and lower body strength as a midfield maestro in the making, and all things considered there's really no need to jeopardize his development (he is a tall boy but does not boast the build of a “man-child”, and is not ready for the tumultuous world of First Team football yet). Latter half of next season, on the other hand, I would expect one or two of those lads to get some minutes (like Garnacho under Rangnick and Mainoo under ten Hag — even the likes of Foden and Saka followed similar-ish developmental curves and weren't prematurely thrust into the limelight). And if all goes well, one or two (hopefully, more!) of them could end up challenging for proper First Team roles over the course of the 2025/26 campaign (again, like Garnacho last season or Mainoo now).

P.S. Someone like Amass might benefit from a loan move, actually (in the lower leagues, in all likelihood?) The fullback position, specifically, is strenuous and go-go and physically demanding, and while he is seemingly in posession of an up-to-the-mark engine, working on his craft as a defender against a decent standard of grown-up attackers, all while he matures physically and gets better at shielding the ball in congested space, would do him a world of good.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Sorry guys but these suggestions are bordering on insanity. Have you watched u18 football and compared it to first team level?
I don't think Invictus is saying all 4 or 5 of those lads will be in a World XI in 3 years time. He's saying they look like they will be contributors to the first team. Which rounding out the 22 is definitely possible in a few years time

JohnnyKills

Never say never, but probably not, if I had to guess (note: the most regular/astute youth team observers are bound to have a more comprehensive view than petit moi). Even if he makes his debut this term, it would merely be a token gesture (i.e., not entirely indicative of his current standing). Jack is just 16 years old, like Amass, Lacey, Fitzgerald and his brother; he should graduate to more meaningful Premier League 2 football first (and start making an impact at that level), rack up valuable experience with the national team (exposure to some form of tournament football with youth squads would hold him in good stead), concentrate on improving his decision-making, application as well as upper and lower body strength as a midfield maestro in the making, and all things considered there's really no need to jeopardize his development (he is a tall boy but does not boast the build of a “man-child”, and is not ready for the tumultuous world of First Team football yet). Latter half of next season, on the other hand, I would expect one or two of those lads to get some minutes (like Garnacho under Rangnick and Mainoo under ten Hag — even the likes of Foden and Saka followed similar-ish developmental curves and weren't prematurely thrust into the limelight). And if all goes well, one or two (hopefully, more!) of them could end up challenging for proper First Team roles over the course of the 2025/26 campaign (again, like Garnacho last season or Mainoo now).

P.S. Someone like Amass might benefit from a loan move, actually (in the lower leagues, in all likelihood?) The fullback position, specifically, is strenuous and go-go and physically demanding, and while he is seemingly in posession of an up-to-the-mark engine, working on his craft as a defender against a decent standard of grown-up attackers, all while he matures physically and gets better at shielding the ball in congested space, would do him a world of good.
Fair. Maybe next year for a league cup/EL debut then.

Sounds really promising though. With Mainoo, Garnacho and Hjolund, let's hope we can build a really strong core of young players. Maybe this is where ET will come into his own.

stealthy

Absolute worlds apart, jump to u21 is significant, leap to first team cavernous hence why so many fall.

Big Andy

Bloke
He’s worth £100m in my FM save, so I’m predicting big things here based on that and that alone.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He wasnt suggesting that, he was asking those in here who knew more of the situation if it was possible .

Sea-Cow

How does he compare to James Garner at this age and at this level? Just curious, because that comp was very impressive. How is he defensively? I would imagine, being the son of Darren, that he at least works his socks off.

foolsgold

Nice to hear the academy is doing better, in modern football it's got a dual purpose firstly to create players for the first team, but secondly as a revenue source by selling 2 or 3 "not quite" players every year to make FPP concerns go away, City do this second part so well and we need to get better.

In Rainbows

How does he compare to James Garner at this age and at this level? Just curious, because that comp was very impressive. How is he defensively? I would imagine, being the son of Darren, that he at least works his socks off.
Garner was a very different type of player. Garner was a DM. Fletcher looks more technical, and better in tight areas. Garner could give some great passes, but not sure he could pull off the passes Fletcher showed today unless had a moment's more time to scan. I rated Garner massively at the time. Fletcher looks very mature in how he handles opposition pressure and in how he handles the speed of the game. I think that part is similar to Greenwood.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Nice to hear the academy is doing better, in modern football it's got a dual purpose firstly to create players for the first team, but secondly as a revenue source by selling 2 or 3 "not quite" players every year to make FPP concerns go away, City do this second part so well and we need to get better.
You are in for dissapointnent. Our track record of selling on produced talent for money making fee in the recent decade has been truly atrocious.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As @In Rainbows pointed out, Jack Fletcher and James Garner are different types of midfielders in terms of profile. The latter was a “pivot” and the former comes across as a natural “interior” who flanks or operates ahead of the pivot...a graceful lock-picker and intuitive offensive passer (who consistently filters in final balls) with quicker feet in congested space, superior dribbling ability, and commendable ball control to boot — aesthetically, very much along the lines of a young Kai Havertz at Leverkusen or indeed Cole Palmer (who progressed through the same system as Jack, no doubt affected by the simplistic excellence of De Bruyne (and Silva, whose influence as playmaker-in-chief loomed large at the club, before him)). As regards industry and grafting nous out of possession, he puts himself about for the most part, but is not a peak Darren Fletcher-esque workhorse by any means (and we shouldn't expect him to be that type of player, at least for the time being; gradual improvement in that department should come with experience and physical maturation).

Oranges038

As @In Rainbows pointed out, Jack Fletcher and James Garner are different types of midfielders in terms of profile. The latter was a “pivot” and the former comes across as a natural “interior” who flanks or operates ahead of the pivot...a graceful lock-picker and intuitive offensive passer (who consistently filters in final balls) with quicker feet in congested space, superior dribbling ability, and commendable ball control to boot — aesthetically, very much along the lines of a young Kai Havertz at Leverkusen or indeed Cole Palmer (who progressed through the same system as Jack, no doubt affected by the simplistic excellence of De Bruyne (and Silva, whose influence as playmaker-in-chief loomed large at the club, before him)). As regards industry and grafting nous out of possession, he puts himself about for the most part, but is not a peak Darren Fletcher-esque workhorse by any means (and we shouldn't expect him to be that type of player, at least for the time being; gradual improvement in that department should come with experience and physical maturation).

I've watched a few of these games.

It's hard to tell at that age, but being able to shape and play precisely weighted passes the way he does isn't a skill that comes naturally to a lot of players. When you add good feet in tight areas, with awareness and the vision to play those splitting passes. You could have a very good player there, he already has a lot of good attributes to work with.

He's quite tall and strong for his age and uses his body well, similar build to his father by the looks of it. It remains to be seen how he matures physically, I think that could determine whether he makes it at the top or not.

Marwood

I was/am s fan of Garner. Didn't want him sold.

But always had doubts about him physically. Fletcher looks a better athlete to me.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’ve watched a lot of videos late at night featuring twins and this is definitely one of the best ones.

In Rainbows

That compilation didn't even show the best angle of his pass

Reminds me of this Pogba pass in the youth cup finals.