Vaccinated Players

choccy77

Just seen this stat posted.

@utdreport: Well-placed sources have revealed that just 30-35% of Premier League footballers have been vaccinated against coronavirus. At least two teams have no more than half a dozen players vaccinated, with others having less than half.

This is crazy, but totally matches what I said in past about players not taking up the vaccine.

432JuanMata

Just seen this stat posted.

@utdreport: Well-placed sources have revealed that just 30-35% of Premier League footballers have been vaccinated against coronavirus. At least two teams have no more than half a dozen players vaccinated, with others having less than half.

This is crazy, but totally matches what I said in past about players not taking up the vaccine.
While the vaccinated figures mostly show 80% of population is it’s based on 16-100. All pro footballers that play in PL are under 35 with most being in their 20’s. They also are insanely fit also being monitored day in day out.
In Ireland people only 43% of people are under 30 are vaccinated. Young people tend it stay away

Fred just posted himself on Instagram getting the second dose.

I reckon many will be wary of the side effects knocking them out for a few days mid season.

There was a report in The Athletic too that said 'less than 40% of players in the PL'. They also pointed out that the figure is hugely raised by non-English players in the league who are vaccinated. They said that English players were 'substantially lower'.

There were also these reports a couple of days ago. Daily Mail got the exclusive, but it's also paywalled elsewhere on more reliable sites (the DM does have some really good reporters like Sami Mokbel, but there's still the stigma of their employer):

EXCLUSIVE: Big-name Premier League stars are refusing to take part in a publicity campaign encouraging other players to get the Covid-19 vaccine

Basically they went to the usual suspects who regularly star in the adverts and PSAs put out by the PL (almost exclusively English players) asking them to record a few words each about the importance of vaccination and protecting each other. Every single player asked refused.

Even Southgate backed out over 'abuse' and said "I'm probably going to keep out of that argument for the time being."

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I reckon many will be wary of the side effects knocking them out for a few days mid season.
I'd wager more have been sucked into the rabbit hole of the long term effects and are paranoid it will affect their career.

EngimaMK

Footballers are so thick. I hear them speak and can't help but think that compared to other sportsmen (rugby players, athletes etc), they are thick as shit. Why is that?

Pep's Suit

Called it weeks ago! I thought it was obvious that the most I can imagine is between 1/4 and 1/3 of all players.

They're hardly people you should care about or even idolize. If they put on a show on the pitch then fine the job's done but I'd be surprised if any team has more than 2-4 players which I would actually rate as people. The rest is dumb or immature or both.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That explains a lot. He’s been playing like he’s knocked out lately.

Just kidding :nervous:

Righteous Steps

Footballers are so thick. I hear them speak and can't help but think that compared to other sportsmen (rugby players, athletes etc), they are thick as shit. Why is that?
Maybe because they don’t have the privilege of being from middle class privately educated backgrounds like many of the Rugby examples you would have used, and football is a sport where you need complete devotion from the ages of 10 or before to make it.

I don’t think they are thicker than any other athletes anyways especially if you take out the sports who tend to attract posh middle class participants like Rugby Tennis and Rowing.

SuperiorXI

This just shocks me... top-level teams have doctors that can surely explain to the players the risks vs the benefits... the benefits strongly out-weighing the risks.

Then again, perhaps the players would rather believe in what they read online than the actual doctors and scientists... similar to a large chunk of the population.

ariveded

These players live on medicines, injections, do crazy treatments like horse placenta, yet whine and worry about Covid vaccines.

They are flawed people whose thinking are entirely motivated by money. If these Covid vaccines were exclusive, and high price, they would grab it. Now, it's free and easy, and thus the onus is on common people to get them, while these players get exclusive and rich treatments by club doctors.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Called it weeks ago! I thought it was obvious that the most I can imagine is between 1/4 and 1/3 of all players.

They're hardly people you should care about or even idolize. If they put on a show on the pitch then fine the job's done but I'd be surprised if any team has more than 2-4 players which I would actually rate as people. The rest is dumb or immature or both.
Do they have to be bad people if they won't take the vax

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hope it doesn’t come back to bite through illness (we know that it can affect even the super fit) or through not being allowed into some countries to play CL etc

OdinsEye

Players under 30 are statistically likely to not be affected by covid so much as other demographics - especially with their high levels of fitness. I can see them not wanting to take an experimental therapy when the risks do not outweigh the benefits for them. They have some of the best medical doctors in the world around them constantly. If they were at risk it would be made clear to them.

ariveded

I hope it doesn’t come back to bite through illness (we know that it can affect even the super fit) or through not being allowed into some countries to play CL etc
If you are rich and popular, countries gives you exemption from vaccine rules. It's unfair yet is clearly visible in last 1 year.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let people do their own risk assessments and stop condemning them, I don’t think the vaccine is a one size fits all, A tennis player just ended his season suffering from a vaccine injury. People know their bodies, give them space to make their choices.

hanovercigars

The people at highest risk from COVID are the elderly and those with chronic disease (i.e. not professional footballers). The people at highest risk from the vaccine side effects (cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, myocarditis etc) are the young. Footballers are not stupid for not taking the vaccine they have looked at the risk of COVID/vaccine and made a decision they feel comfortable about.

golden_blunder

Staff
Let people do their own risk assessments and stop condemning them, I don’t think the vaccine is a one size fits all, A tennis player just ended his season suffering from a vaccine injury. People know their bodies, give them space to make their choices.
Sorry but that’s silly, it’s proven without doubt that vaccines prevent serious illness. There is more risk from not taking it

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah. They're fecking dumb. What the feck is a vaccine injury? Sounds fake.

Why should uneducated people make their own risk assessments when people who have studied their whole lives on the topic have said it works, and it has proven to be effective? It's not a case of "everyone's opinion should be respected", because not everyone's opinion is right (some are talking out their ass, some are speaking based on data and facts).

Jazz

Sorry but that’s silly, it’s proven without doubt that vaccines prevent serious illness. There is more risk from not taking it
The guys injury is not silly, I personally know someone who.s immune system is fecked. these vaccines don’t work for everyone. They are still quite knew. It’s perfectly reasonable that some people will have issues. It’s up to the individual to decide if they want to risk COVID or get the vaccine.

Jazz

Nah. They're fecking dumb. What the feck is a vaccine injury? Sounds fake.

Why should uneducated people make their own risk assessments when people who have studied their whole lives on the topic have said it works, and it has proven to be effective? It's not a case of "everyone's opinion should be respected", because not everyone's opinion is right (some are talking out their ass, some are speaking based on data and facts).
Vaccine injuries aren’t.t fake. Injuries that have occurred are on gov.uk site if you wish to look.

Yeah, let's not. Let their doctors do their risk assessments. The ones who spend their lives studying this stuff. I've no problem if the club doctors advised against it but let's be honest, they're not going to do that are they? Because they know it would be stupid.

golden_blunder

Staff
The guys injury is not silly, I personally know someone who.s immune system is fecked. these vaccines don’t work for everyone. They are still quite knew. It’s perfectly reasonable that some people will have issues. It’s up to the individual to decide if they want to risk COVID or get the vaccine.
It is off course their choice but if the medical evidence is overwhelming telling you one thing, then it’s a bit silly to not go with it. Actually it’s probably more than silly, I’m being nice. They are putting their careers at risk and in worse case scenario leaving their children without a father.

Jazz

Yeah, let's not. Let their doctors do their risk assessments. The ones who spend their lives studying this stuff. I've no problem if the club doctors advised against it but let's be honest, they're not going to do that are they? Because they know it would be stupid.
You have no idea about people’s medical issues or what any doctor has told them.

Jazz

It is off course their choice but if the medical evidence is overwhelming telling you one thing, then it’s a bit silly to not go with it. Actually it’s probably more than silly, I’m being nice. They are putting their careers at risk and in worse case scenario leaving their children without a father.
I understand but it is an individuals choice is all I’m saying. I’m not in the habit of telling people what to do. I don’t think someone should be demonised because of their choice. That’s all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It is absolutely wild to me that there are anti vax people in 2021 who think they know better. Like I'm not surprised, but it's fecking wild after everything the world has been through and the constant evidence of vaccines eradicating so many diseases. But anyway. I guess every asshole wants to be recognized like a doctor.

hanovercigars

There is a reason why the MHRA and SAGE refused to recommend COVID vaccines for those below the age of 13. It is because the chance of getting serious thrombosis from the vaccine was the same as getting it from actual COVID. For those below 30 the the risk from COVID only barely outweighs the risk of severe adverse effects from the vaccine.
I am a doctor who works in a medium sized hospital in the West Midlands and I have been fully vaccinated but I support people's right to decide for themselves, without being made to feel like social pariahs. We are also seeing patients who are fully vaccinated ending up in ITU, the numbers are increasing. So for young footballers you would have weigh the fact that the vaccine only confers temporary and incomplete protection with the fact that in a pandemic the vast majority of the population will get infected at some stage regardless of any public health measures.

MalcolmTucker

There is a reason why the MHRA and SAGE refused to recommend COVID vaccines for those below the age of 13. It is because the chance of getting serious thrombosis from the vaccine was the same as getting it from actual COVID. For those below 30 the the risk from COVID only barely outweighs the risk of severe adverse effects from the vaccine.
I am a doctor who works in a medium sized hospital in the West Midlands and I have been fully vaccinated but I support people's right to decide for themselves, without being made to feel like social pariahs. We are also seeing patients who are fully vaccinated ending up in ITU, the numbers are increasing. So for young footballers you would have weigh the fact that the vaccine only confers temporary and incomplete protection with the fact that in a pandemic the vast majority of the population will get infected at some stage regardless of any public health measures.
Nice to see a sensible reply amongst the vitriol.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And how many professional footballers have died from Covid yet? Genuine question, I don't know.

I am pro vaccine, and will take it as soon as it's available in my country, but surely footballers are surrounded with best doctors and advice arround, definitely more informed than caf posters.

Maybe they are afforded good threatment from corona virus that they simply don't need vaccine, and considering they are tested pretty much every day they aren't spreaders so they don't have to be called ant waxxers or selfish, etc.

golden_blunder

Staff
And how many professional footballers have died from Covid yet? Genuine question, I don't know.

I am pro vaccine, and will take it as soon as it's available in my country, but surely footballers are surrounded with best doctors and advice arround, definitely more informed than caf posters.

Maybe they are afforded good threatment from corona virus that they simply don't need vaccine, and considering they are tested pretty much every day they aren't spreaders so they don't have to be called ant waxxers or selfish, etc.
Think about what you’re saying. Medically we know that the best medical thing they can do is take the vaccine. If they catch it, it’s a lottery to how sick they will get, if they survive it, if they survive what long term affects there are. There are literally loads of very fit people ended up with long covid and now can’t walk up the stairs at home. They are literally putting their careers and lives at risk. It’s a huge gamble they are taking. I’d be very surprised if the club doctors aren’t in their ear telling them to vaccinate

Fluctuation0161

Fair comment.

Fluctuation0161

Good post. Rare to see an educated response rather than posters arrogantly claiming players are "thick as shit".

golden_blunder

Staff
And you think they aren't listening to them, but trust more people from Facebook?
I don’t know who they are getting info from but you can be sure medical doctors will be following advice from the CMO

Last edited: