Van de Beek to Frankfurt | Loan with no mandatory buy option.

Red Royal

Fully expect him to flop in the Bundesleague and he returns 'rejuvenated' ready to rebuild his United career next season (sadly).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What does VdB have other than off-ball movement and link-up play?

McTominay offers more, it's just controversial to state it right now because we are in a crisis.
He’s a smarter player in general. And link up play is crucial is it not? Mctominay runs around like an headless chicken and has no positional awareness.

KeanoMagicHat

A bit of a nothing player but still very underused. Just a terrible signing all round, never a plan for him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think most people would do that if they were in his shoes. He's reportedly earning around €7m p.a. right? Even if he shows great performances there they'd probably offer him around half of that.
I’d never blame the player. Just ridiculous how the club keep ending up in these situations

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seeing as he came from the same cloning bay as Davy Klaassen, I'm sure he'll be fine in Germany.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Good luck to him. He’s actually a decent guy. Didn’t kick up a fuss despite never starting. Just got on with it. Deserves to be playing somewhere else
I wish he had, to be honest. Nothing wrong with collecting his contractually agreed paychecks, but he'd be off our books by now if he had shown a little more ambition during his time here.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hope he enjoys his time in the Bundesliga to support a summer sale.

No shame in not being quite cut out for Uniteds starting CM. Very few have been post Ferguson.

lex talionis

I wish he had, to be honest. Nothing wrong with collecting his contractually agreed paychecks, but he'd be off our books by now if he had shown a little more ambition during his time here.
But in all honesty the squad has been shambolically managed since Donny's arrival. Ole, Ralf and now Erik...when did our star shine brightly during the tenure of any of those managers apart from Ole's first three months? Never. We've been poor in attack during all three managers, all the while the squad was screaming for both a natural scorer and a creator in tight spaces. We had the natural scorer in Ronaldo but rightly let him go but we never did solve the creator in tight spaces problem. One might say Bruno but Bruno is a long ball merchant, a pretty good one actually, but he misplaces too many passes. Clubs wise to our weakness as a squad play a low block and hit us on the counter (or wait for set pieces) knowing that Bruno is completely ineffective against low block sides, but it's against low block sides where Donny does his best work. Yet there was no chance that Ole, Ralf or Erik was going to field Donny over Bruno for a variety of good reasons, but preferring Bruno has resulted in no recognizable pattern of play -- it's Hollywood ball match after match, and it when it comes off it's a thing of beauty but no one can argue that we've been beautiful to watch on a consistent basis since we brought in Bruno. I'm not a Bruno hater, but as long as we rely on Bruno instead of a more disciplined pass and move attacking midfielder we're going to top out at 4th or 5th in the PL.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Maybe but might not have been, we may just of had another moaning player in the dressing room. Took us forever to get rid of some of the more vocal and deadwood players. Plus it’s not a good attitude so won’t attract many teams.

led_scholes

Wishing him an injury free loan, and hope he impresses enough so they can buy him.

marktan

One of the worst midfielders I've ever seen play for United. I thought Cleverly was the floor, but this guy did even less

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He has to hit the ground running while Shkiri and Chaibi are at the Africa Cup. If he doesn't impress immediately he is in danger of being benched quite quickly again.

Devil81

Fully expect him to flop in the Bundesleague and he returns 'rejuvenated' ready to rebuild his United career next season (sadly).
Surely close to the end of his contract. Bet we end up selling for around 10 million.

Glorio

We really should have been wary by the whole "Take care of Donny" messages back then!

Anyways, take care of our Donny Frankfurt! :)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wouldn’t miss him at all, as we’ve already got the best possible replacement in Mount.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Him joining us back in next summer would be like new signings for us.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was never going to work here. He worked at Ajax as a no.10 who was basically allowed to ghost around until he got into the final third for a goal or key pass. He had Ziyech (creative wide player), de Jong (ball carrying), and Tadic (creative false 9) all who were clearly far too good for the Dutch league doing the heavy lifting. Donny just had to run around and sometimes be in the right spot for a pass.

How a player like that was going to add anything of significant value to the players we had and still have... Still got no idea. I see our latest midfield permanent signing going down a similar route, whenever he does get fit.

Maybe one day we'll stop buying players in a vacuum and have some regard for tactical implementation.

Skills

Snitch
He was never going to work here. He worked at Ajax as a no.10 who was basically allowed to ghost around until he got into the final third for a goal or key pass. He had Ziyech (creative wide player), de Jong (ball carrying), and Tadic (creative false 9) all who were clearly far too good for the Dutch league doing the heavy lifting. Donny just had to run around and sometimes be in the right spot for a pass.

How a player like that was going to add anything of significant value to the players we had and still have... Still got no idea. I see our latest midfield permanent signing going down a similar route, whenever he does get fit.

Maybe one day we'll stop buying players in a vacuum and have some regard for tactical implementation.
Also, our most important player plays in exactly his position and is always available. How was it ever going to work?

It made no sense at all.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just occured to me, considering how Frankfurt has the tendency to go on crazy cup runs it's absolutely possible that van de Beek returns in the summer as Europa Conference League winner, while everyone else is just lost on mediocrity

Smores

It's odd how ETH had so little use of him when you think about it. He was a key part of their system for a while and for all the complaints of our players not being able to play Ten Hags way he's sidelined.

If players don't transfer to the PL so easily then what makes us think the manager would.

WitchWithoutACat

I feel we bought him as a backup midfielder who would do the basics well and be a wonderful option for rotation.

Honestly, he does the basics...okay. But it's just okay. It genuinely feels like he's just another body on the pitch rather than someone who can just do slightly decent passing and movement.

I mean he's made more money than most of us ever will, but I do have to wonder where he will go from here.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t know. I know he doesn’t really tackle much and he hasn’t done well on loan anywhere but wouldn’t we have been better off giving the like of Amrabat and Sabitzers minutes to him and seeing if we could have gotten a fee for him? Or even better let him go at the start of the second season when we’d had a good look at him but everyone else wouldn’t have known he couldn’t fully cut it here. Once again we play it out until the dying day when the player is absolutely worthless. Horrible horrible recruitment and management from us with an international player who was seemingly on the way up

Mike Smalling

I’d completely forgotten about him. It’s so weird how none of our managers in his time has gotten anything at all out of him.