Van Gaal Needs To Get Cease and Desist & Posters need to read the article

RedCurry

Gakpo was always a backup option to Antony. Once we got our main target, we ended our pursuit of the backup option. This is just a case of sour grapes situation from a player who isn’t good enough embellished further by a tabloid agency.

Ladron de redcafe

I'm really not sure it's a direct attack on United. It sounds like a manager who desperately wants his players to be in top form 2 months from now and prefers no movements to new clubs or leagues.

R'hllor

You ok OP? Best ones are those using made up shit to chime in and express their hate for the guy, fecking hell

jeepers

OP didn’t read the article.

And we didn’t bother with Gakpo once we secured Anthony.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its fascinating how LVG would say to Timber not to join Manchester United despite he'd be joining ETH (the man who made him) while on the other hand he's perfectly happy having FDJ being portrayed as the villain and playing as CB at Barcelona. The same with Depay. He's set to be a reserve player at Barcelona and yet LVG hasn't said anything about the matter whatsoever.

So yes, LVG does have issues with us which is kind of said considering that the guy was fired by almost every top club he worked with. When one looks at his career, he wasn't really that good to start with. I mean 1 CL win in 1995, despite managing clubs like Barca, Bayern and United (the former twice)....that's poor isn't it?

Having said that I wonder if the issue is with us or with ETH. I mean ETH is basically a younger version then him. Now some people take that gracefully (ex Lippi and Conte) but some actually hate that (Sacchi vs Capello and Allegri)

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So basically you want to initiate legal action based on something that you’ve imagined was said without any evidence (even tabloid talk) to back it up? And van Gaal is somehow the unreasonable one?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Its fascinating how LVG would say to Timber not to join Manchester United while on the other hand he would stay perfectly silent on the FDJ situation. Surely having his own player being chased away by fans and being portrayed as some sort of traitor to the cause won't help his performance to the WC. The same with Depay. He's set to be a reserve player at Barcelona and yet LVG hasn't said anything about the matter.

So yes, LVG does hate us which is kind of said considering that the guy was fired by almost every top club he worked with. When one looks at his career, he wasn't really that good to start with. I mean 1 CL win in 1995, despite managing clubs like Barca, Bayern and United (the former twice)....that's poor isn't it?
I mean, even if that were "it" (it isn't) then still a Champions League with Ajax is not something to be sniffed at.

But he also has multiple league titles in La Liga, Bundesliga and Eredivise to his name, a UEFA Cup, multiple Super Cups, domestic cups and a 3rd place finish at the World Cup with a poor/aging Dutch side. All while developing and coaching some of the best talent to ever grace their respective positions.

So I think his career is a little better than being "not really all that good"

As it pertains to this situation, I understand his bitterness given the manner of his dismissal and I think it is obvious he still feels let down by Woodward during his time here and he subsequently carried the can for his incompetence.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I mean, even if that were "it" (it isn't) then still a Champions League with Ajax is not something to be sniffed at.

But he also has multiple league titles in La Liga, Bundesliga and Eredivise to his name, a UEFA Cup, multiple Super Cups, domestic cups and a 3rd place finish at the World Cup with a poor/aging Dutch side. All while developing and coaching some of the best talent to ever grace their respective positions.

So I think his career is a little better than being "not really all that good"

As it pertains to this situation, I understand his bitterness given the manner of his dismissal and I think it is obvious he still feels let down by Woodward during his time here and he subsequently carried the can for his incompetence.
A CL in 95 is hardly a great achievement considering the clubs he managed and his long career. Saf gets criticised for winning just 2 CL despite his endless list of honours and the fact that United could really financially compete with the Spanish/Italian clubs mid way of his career. Also Dutch football of the time was way better then it is today That ajax team would easily beat our team.

I don't get LVG sourness either. He is been around for decades, he got fired many times and had managed far ruthless clubs to ours. Yet he seem to have issues with only us

Which makes me wonder is his hatred towards us or is it jealousy towards ETH. I mean LVG was the Don of Dutch football and Ajax up until ETH showed up. Erik might not be to his level yet but if he succeeds at a club where LVG failed....yes managers can be that petty (ex sacchi)

led_scholes

Its fascinating how LVG would say to Timber not to join Manchester United despite he'd be joining ETH (the man who made him) while on the other hand he's perfectly happy having FDJ being portrayed as the villain and playing as CB at Barcelona. The same with Depay. He's set to be a reserve player at Barcelona and yet LVG hasn't said anything about the matter whatsoever.

So yes, LVG does have issues with us which is kind of said considering that the guy was fired by almost every top club he worked with. When one looks at his career, he wasn't really that good to start with. I mean 1 CL win in 1995, despite managing clubs like Barca, Bayern and United (the former twice)....that's poor isn't it?

Having said that I wonder if the issue is with us or with ETH. I mean ETH is basically a younger version then him. Now some people take that gracefully (ex Lippi and Conte) but some actually hate that (Sacchi vs Capello and Allegri)
No 1 CL is not poor. Barca in the 90s wasn't the force of mid to late 00s, and it wasn't a massive club outside of Spain.

He reached the final with Bayern.

And we were a mess when he came. It s not like we were the United of the old.

And he also lost another CL final in penalties.

Winning the CL for manager like LVG or SAF (who has only 2) was always more difficult, because they were architects of clubs - they were not like Pep (post Barca) or Jose who just want to outspend everyone in the market (who both have only 2).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
A CL in 95 is hardly a great achievement considering the clubs he managed and his long career. Saf gets criticised for winning just 2 CL despite his endless list of honours and the fact that United could really financially compete with the Spanish/Italian clubs mid way of his career. Also Dutch football of the time was way better then it is today That ajax team would easily beat our team.

I don't get LVG sourness either. He is been around for decades, he got fired many times and had managed far ruthless clubs to ours

Which makes me wonder is his hatred towards us or is it jealousy towards ETH. I mean LVG was the Don of Dutch football and Ajax up until ETH showed up. Erik might not be to his level yet but if he succeeds at a club where LVG failed....yes managers can be that petty (ex sacchi)
A CL title in any year is a great achievement, for Ajax who were not in a position to compete financially with the rest of Europe at the time, even more so, to then be a penalty shoot out away from repeating the achievement minus Rijkaard and Seedorf.

If you try to remove all context from a situation then you can be dismissive of almost anything accomplished in football.

And just because a manager is wrongly criticised for not winning a cup competition more than arbitrary "X" amount of times, doesn't mean that it is ok to then do it for other coaches.

At those.clubs that LvG was fired from, I bet if you asked him if he felt like he was backed in the market and his targets acquired he would probably tell you that he was, he absolutely wasn't backed here and in his own words, got his 4th or 5th choice routinely. Whether he is right or wrong to feel a certain way about us after that, I don't know. But I can certainly understand being backed and told the job you isn't up to standard and being able to accept that, rather than being asked to accept being the fall guy after not being backed and being shit canned hours after just having delivered a domestic title.

Andersonson

So basically you want to initiate legal action based on something that you’ve imagined was said without any evidence (even tabloid talk) to back it up? And van Gaal is somehow the unreasonable one?
Bizarre indeed

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's actually hilarious how so many react based on just headline.

Player himself said he will be moving to ManUtd but move didn't happen as we didn't go for him after getting Antony. Then Southampton made the move and player was not sure about last min changes.

Somehow it got translated to "Van Gaal asked Gakpo not to move to ManUtd".

GazTheLegend

He's looking out for his own national team's interest, nothing wrong with that. He didn't say it was bad to move to United-just not in a World Cup year.
He's not though. He doesn't give a shit if players move to Chelsea, City, Norwich or whoever. It's only when they go to us it's a problem, so he can feck off

Oranges038

By the title I thought it meant he should get a cease and desist order against the caf to stop idiots posting stupid crap about him.

fallengt

I don't see it? LvG told Gakpo shouldn't move to oversea club (not United specifically) in World cup year. It's totally sensible.

In which part that he said "United bad" ?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
OP didn’t read the article.

And we didn’t bother with Gakpo once we secured Anthony.
Whitwell is suggesting today it’s more to do with Ronaldo staying, paying an extra 20m for Antony and ETH deciding not to loan out Elanga to Leicester. If Ronaldo went we’d have signed him. If Antony was cheaper we’d have signed him even with Ronaldo staying. Either way, we pulled out and he then rightly decided not to rush into a decision and join Leeds.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
To be fair he was sacked a couple days after winning the FA cup. Which in days gone by would be a huge achievement and in recent times a comparable achievement. It’s understandable he may show some unconscious bias towards the club.
Or conscious. To him, as an ex employee, the owners are the club. He had many grievances, of which the way he was sacked was among the worst. The people to blame here are 100% the Glazers and Woody and whoever made those calls. LVG deserved better. Stay classy, Glazers, sounds wrong. They are a disgrace to the badge.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not a case of bitterness, just a case of dont make that transfer right before a world cup, because chances are you will at least start as a bench player and lose form.

Van Gaal is a massive twat, but this is good advice. Gakpo isnt good enough for United and shouldnt go there.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A CL title in any year is a great achievement, for Ajax who were not in a position to compete financially with the rest of Europe at the time, even more so, to then be a penalty shoot out away from repeating the achievement minus Rijkaard and Seedorf.

If you try to remove all context from a situation then you can be dismissive of almost anything accomplished in football.

And just because a manager is wrongly criticised for not winning a cup competition more than arbitrary "X" amount of times, doesn't mean that it is ok to then do it for other coaches.

At those.clubs that LvG was fired from, I bet if you asked him if he felt like he was backed in the market and his targets acquired he would probably tell you that he was, he absolutely wasn't backed here and in his own words, got his 4th or 5th choice routinely. Whether he is right or wrong to feel a certain way about us after that, I don't know. But I can certainly understand being backed and told the job you isn't up to standard and being able to accept that, rather than being asked to accept being the fall guy after not being backed and being shit canned hours after just having delivered a domestic title.
Don't forget the fact that 1996 Juve were doped out of their minds on PEDS.

It's quite silly that title hasnt been stripped from them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds like we pulled out rather than Gakpo turning us down anyway. This is just talk to make it seem like it was his choice for some club brownie points.

Smores

I fecking hate LvG but nothing wrong here. Telling a player a transfer before the world cup might not be the best idea is just obvious advice.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Players/managers talking to other players/managers and advising them about moves... is not controversial. Im sure Casemiro talked to Varane and Fred about his move.

Should we outlaw negative advice?

I'm sure other NT managers do the same. Would Rangnick dissuade Austrians to join United? Is it a big deal if he does? Not really.

Feck Van Gaal, he's a cnut, but he ain't the first and it's nothing special.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Jurrien Timber in an interview with Algemeen Dagblad mentioned that he didn't consult with Van Gaal about a possible move to Manchester United, unlike what was suggested in lots of media. He said he spoke with Van Gaal during the last National break, but Van Gaal said: if you make a choice, Im confidence you will get playing time wherever you will go.

Gakpo however confirmed he spoke with Van Gaal in an interview with NOS. He said Van gaal told him to follow his own feeling, but that he felt a transfer in a world cup year would not be ideal for him. That was not necessarily about Unite though, also about Leeds and Southampton which were eager to sign him.

So to be honest, this thread sound like a lot of bull to me..

Son

Van Gaal was very much correct in his assumption here. It’s nothing against us. He wants one of his fringe players pushing for a first 11 place which if he stays grounded he might well do for the next 6 months.

Come to a new league and culture / tactics you don’t know if he can throw in a WC too in that time period. All different styles of football.

Lentwood

I understand that he is a grumpy old man, who cannot get over being sacked and keeps being sour, but for feck's sake he cannot continue to bad-mouth United and discourage player after player from joining us. This is not the first time the old fart has pulled this shit. It doesn't always work and not everybody listens to him, but this is still wrong and at some point he needs to be told to knock it off. Especially given that he is not just a random mean dude, he is the manager of Dutch team and is borderline telling Dutch players that if they join United, he will hold that against them.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-gakpo-vangaal-transfer-27893109
We should have treated him better then...

Regardless of what you think of his performance as manager the way we handled his sacking was poor form

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We didn't even try buy Gakpo in the end, thankfully.

Chumpsbechumps

Glazers’ ownership of this club and the ass kisses that they employ have made United a joke in the football world; the club’s reputation is bottom of the barrel amongst executives and agents. Woodward’s arrogance and then capitulation on deals sums up United’s transfer business in the last 10 years. The treatment of Jose, RR and United’s latest dealings over Antony will come back to haunt this club. While Ajax might have made off with 100 mil Euros, the whole business of the player mutinying last minute damaged the relationship. More than anything it displays Jack-off Joel’s utter disregard for football - this p.o.s owes much of their family fortune to this club, but he treats it and football like a side hobby. In 17 years this moron hasn’t bothered learning the business or getting the right people to run it.

Unless the Glazers are ousted, and competent professionals are put in place to run this club, we will continue to run into issues every transfer window. So much of this business is cultivating contacts and mutual respect with other club executives and agents. Jack-off Joel, Murtough and Arnold are just a bunch of bumbling clowns that engender nothing but contempt. These jokers are viewed as marks meant to be rinsed for every penny - which sadly is the club’s money.
I read that and couldn’t remember when I’d written it! Literally couldn’t of said it better myself.

I’ve no issue with LVG advising players off United or moves, he’s more informed then anybody on a footballforum.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
This seems more like a case of different news outlets cobbling things together. It all stems from an interview Gakpo had with the NOS.

He basically said that Utd showed interest weeks before the deadline, but that interest started to wane as time moved forward. Then towards the deadline, and especially in the final days, there was concrete interest from clubs Southampton and Leeds. His decision to ultimately stay at PSV was influenced by a combination of factors that he weighed, including a conversation with Van Gaal in that regard.

Which makes complete sense. Talented as Gakpo is, he’s far from a guaranteed starter. Even in the national team. And imo Gakpo’s chances of playing in the World Cup would have been hurt had he moved to either Utd, where he would have no guarantees of starting, or Southampton/Leeds where he could struggle at a mid table team.

At no point, in any of the interpretations from media outlets, did I read animosity towards Utd in this particular instance from Van Gaal. Just Gakpo making an informed decision based on several factors.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We should have treated him better then...

Regardless of what you think of his performance as manager the way we handled his sacking was poor form
How should it have been handled differently? Sacking the manager just before a cup final he had taken the team to is much worse, no? Worse for him and worse for the team.

But he definitely needed to be sacked. We were so so bad under him. And hindsight has proven that almost every single signing he made was a bad one. Plus he froze out/moved on players that hindsight has proved could have been useful for us, if managed properly. For someone with this great reputation for developing youngsters it’s actually remarkable how consistently he backed the wrong ones.

There’s no way he could be allowed to waste even more money and weaken our squad any more than he had already. He had to be fired before that summer transfer window.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He's not though. He doesn't give a shit if players move to Chelsea, City, Norwich or whoever. It's only when they go to us it's a problem, so he can feck off
This. 100% this. Shocking how so many can't understand this simple fact. And that this is not the first time bitter Van Gaal is trash-talking United.

"the way we handled his sacking was poor form" is silly. All sacking is ugly. How do you fire somebody and make it pretty? There is no such thing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well I did read the article, so thanks for judging before thinking.

Hoards of players have moved this summer, majority of them national team players, but it wasn't a problem for any of them. AND Van Gaal has advised players against joining United in the past when there was looming World Cup. How many other Dutch team players changed teams, but Van Gaal didn't say shit because they were not joining United?

But you go ahead and attack OP, why not - that's much easier.
If you think me saying that it's a problem people won't read the article and will just believe what you've said, when your own headline statement isn't even supported by the article you've attached, is "attacking" the OP then feck me...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Glazers’ ownership of this club and the ass kisses that they employ have made United a joke in the football world; the club’s reputation is bottom of the barrel amongst executives and agents. Woodward’s arrogance and then capitulation on deals sums up United’s transfer business in the last 10 years. The treatment of Jose, RR and United’s latest dealings over Antony will come back to haunt this club. While Ajax might have made off with 100 mil Euros, the whole business of the player mutinying last minute damaged the relationship. More than anything it displays Jack-off Joel’s utter disregard for football - this p.o.s owes much of their family fortune to this club, but he treats it and football like a side hobby. In 17 years this moron hasn’t bothered learning the business or getting the right people to run it.

Unless the Glazers are ousted, and competent professionals are put in place to run this club, we will continue to run into issues every transfer window. So much of this business is cultivating contacts and mutual respect with other club executives and agents. Jack-off Joel, Murtough and Arnold are just a bunch of bumbling clowns that engender nothing but contempt. These jokers are viewed as marks meant to be rinsed for every penny - which sadly is the club’s money.
What’s this got to do with the topic of van gaal?

Nick7

So van Gaal didn’t advise a single player to avoid United in the end. Funny thread.

Lentwood

How should it have been handled differently? Sacking the manager just before a cup final he had taken the team to is much worse, no? Worse for him and worse for the team.

But he definitely needed to be sacked. We were so so bad under him. And hindsight has proven that almost every single signing he made was a bad one. Plus he froze out/moved on players that hindsight has proved could have been useful for us, if managed properly. For someone with this great reputation for developing youngsters it’s actually remarkable how consistently he backed the wrong ones.

There’s no way he could be allowed to waste even more money and weaken our squad any more than he had already. He had to be fired before that summer transfer window.
There's nothing wrong with us sacking him necessarily, I think the main problem was it seemed clear that we were basically waiting to see if Mourinho fancied the job and as soon aa he became available we ditched LvG with terrible timing.

Kind of like ditching your girlfriend the day after her birthday for the hotter girl at work you've been claiming is "just a friend" the day after she also split-up with her partner...

I personally feel if Jose hadn't become available we would have given LvG a 3rd season and I think behind the scenes there was no indication the club was unhappy with him.

Abraxas

Totally nonsensical reading of the article aside, it doesn't matter what the heck Louis van Gaal says. Did it stop Malacia? No. If they haven't got the strength of personality to get past what an old man is saying and back themselves, then how the heck are they going to be successful for us? You have to get people desperate to come in the first place, which we have done this summer.

Superden

this is what LVG said according to the article in the OP..

I asked the national coach [Louis van Gaal] for advice. He thought I should follow my gut feeling, but also said that a transfer in a World Cup year would not really be ideal, also because of adjustment. I agreed with him."

the reaction is just a bit over the top.

CloneMC16

His advice made sense. Moving to a new and harder league during a World Cup year will always be a risk. Especially when the team you're moving to has a lot of competition in your position. He would be competing against Sancho and Rashford.

It is also up to the individual to make up their own mind. He told ETH not to come here and he ignored him.