VAR and Refs | General Discussion

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The fact a Liverpool fan agrees says a lot :lol:
Ruins the game. The media has to say something at this point. Not the pundits who are biased. An anchor or someone who runs things. Or the owners of the clubs need to do something. Say all you want about the States and their sports, crap like this would be squashed right away.

Yakuza_devils

I think we all have had enough of the VAR incompetencies. It's time to call for it to be abolished. It was supposed to improve football but is has exact opposite effects. It's embarrassing.

You don't put a team of incompetent people in charge of VAR which ruined multibillion pounds business and billions fans worldwide.

PL is a big brand worldwide. They should do something about it. The VAR incompetencies is embarrassing.

VivaRonaldo85

On this occasion, I would support Ten Hag laying into the var decision after the game and accepting the fine and possible sitting in the stand for a few games. We can’t accept this rubbish anymore without showing some Klopp and Pep style public disgruntlement.

SuperiorXI

Did ours get looked at when Arsenal defender had his arms all around Hojlund?! It wasn’t clear and obvious so he should have carried on.
That one was way worse as well and wasn't given. That one was like WWE dragging him down whereas this one it's just a weak arm and Rodri takes an Olympic dive.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Tinfoil hat, lizard people, blah, blah. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I struggle to believe we'd have been awarded the penalty that's been given against us today.

I really don't know why Ten Hag doesn't call it out. Klopp's crying in press conferences has led Liverpool getting every 50/50. The refs give these things against us cos they know we'll just meekly take it.

Amarsdd

Is football the only sport in the world where the rules now basically encourage top level players to cheat?

It's sickening seeing all these pundits saying it was pen because there was "contact".
Yep, and at the same time shame them for doing it.

vanrooney

a challenging system would help. pep would never has challenged this. why dont take some things from other sports that work

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
I think we all have had enough of the VAR incompetencies. It's time to call for it to be abolished. It was supposed to improve football but is has exact opposite effects. It's embarrassing.

You don't put a team of incompetent people in charge of VAR which ruined multibillion pounds business and billions fans worldwide.

PL is a big brand worldwide. They should do something about it. The VAR incompetencies is embarrassing.
Without VAR you'd still have these stupid decisions, wrong offsides not given and team losing out on goals, red cards given which were never so. Without VAR we'd been up 1-0 at OT last year and changed the game.

Problem is the state of the refereeing, not VAR. No way in Europe is the refereeing so awful as here.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Removing VAR doesn't remove reffing incompetence but it does streamline it. The refs just need better training and accountability. I mean if you work in McDonalds and some kid is getting every burger wrong you don't throw out the frier, you throw oout the guy who isn't doing his job correctly.

Heinzesight

Tinfoil hat, lizard people, blah, blah. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I struggle to believe we'd have been awarded the penalty that's been given against us today.

I really don't know why Ten Hag doesn't call it out. Klopp's crying in press conferences has led Liverpool getting every 50/50. The refs give these things against us cos they know we'll just meekly take it.
Yeah, just take the massive fine and go all guns blazing.

Dorris

Michael Oliver’s been horrendous for us in every game he’s reffed. Grew up to United spanking Newcastle and it shows.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The fact a Liverpool fan agrees says a lot :lol:
The fact that tribalism means that most opposition fan bases celebrate calls like this ensure they will suffer them eventually.

That Liverpool offside was a moment that all premier league fan bases should have united and asked for a proper restructure of VAR IMO but in the end it turned into "Liverpool are cry babies" etc etc and now if United complain about today Liverpool fans will call you guys cry babies etc etc and the refs will continue to feck up on a weekly basis.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Omg I just watched this. No refs ever call that. Even if VAR does letter of the law, Oliver should have just let it go. That is really suspicious in being called at a play that happens on every corner kick
Remember during the Slippy G year how your man, Skrtel, used to mug his mark on every set piece? He got away with fouls every time.

Mmm-Qatarian

I mean for real, I don't think it's a pen but why is that incident with Maguire on Haaland not a pen if the first one was?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Remember during the Slippy G year how your man, Skrtel, used to mug his mark on every set piece? He got away with fouls every time.
Whatever. Get all tribal and snarky, either way it’s bad for the game for all teams.

CtRafidah

As a brit, its a disgrace the quality of refs we have. To think we need to send these jokers for international games. UEFA ones comes close in 2nd with their brainfart out of the world decisions.

Its a long way to go for football fans to expect something of quality refs like in hickey, rugby or tennis.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That brain dead prick Oliver ruined the game. It was fairly even before he fecked it for us.

stevoc

If an incident happens in our box that can be interpreted as a penalty then you can guarantee it will be. We might as well start games 1 nil down given the amount of soft penalties given against us this season.

For anyone that is of the opinion that it's all just down to incompetence/inconsistency, could you honestly say you think we'd have been given that penalty today if it happened at the other end?

arnie_ni

Like a lot of these decisions I have no issue with a pen being given..... if every single incident similar was also given a pen.

90 + 5min

I really don’t care about results. This is not about football anymore. If ManUtd don’t demand investigation they should be ashamed. This should be all over social media. 4 of 5 lost games was directly because of referees.

arnie_ni

On the one hand Hojlund has clearly pulled the player back.
But no way that was enough for a 12 stone 6 ft prem mid to twist and fall like that.
Bought it like a kipper.

Such a shame Hojlund didn't go down later as he'd have definitely got a pen and probably red for Stones or the keeper.
I said this after the rashford incident the last game. If you don't fall dramatically you dont win penalties. Being honest gets you nowhere.

Imagine If he throws himself down there and we don't get a pen and red card

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I said this after the rashford incident the last game. If you don't fall dramatically you dont win penalties. Being honest gets you nowhere.

Imagine If he throws himself down there and we don't get a pen and red card
Yep to not get a shot or give the officials a decision there was criminal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, not to be a salty bitter arsehole but in what world is Hojlund's grab on Rodri more of a penalty than Sterling getting forearm smashed in the back yesterday?

The lack of consistency is just staggering. It's made all the worse by this mind-bogglingly stupid rotation of the same idiots within the cabal who don't want to do anything to make a colleague look bad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What's Deane on about Rodri would have got to the "drop in zone" for that cross for the pen.
He was never getting near that ball.

BaguetteBoy

Did ours get looked at when Arsenal defender had his arms all around Hojlund?! It wasn’t clear and obvious so he should have carried on.
If I remember correctly everyone everywhere was saying this is part of football. Now this. They need to make up their minds not make it as they go along

90 + 5min

What's Deane on about Rodri would have got to the "drop in zone" for that cross for the pen.
This is bigger than football. No expert can tell you anything. We have lost 4 of 5 games directly because of referees and crazy decisions. We should demand investigations.

astracrazy

Something just bothers me that you can play another 60+ seconds for football and then they decide to give them a penalty. It just doesn't sit right for me. It's like some sort of advantage is being played.

This is bigger than football. No expert can tell you anything. We have lost 4 of 5 games directly because of referees and crazy decisions. We should demand investigations.
It just feels like its a other week where I'm saying to people one day it will come out VAR has been involved in match fixing. And I 100% believe it will happen.

ShinjiNinja26

Very soft penalty. Rodri wasn’t getting to that ball even if he wasn’t impeded. VAR is destroying the game, simple as. The length of time played after the incident as well was a joke. What’s the time limit on this anyway? Surely we were in a different phase of play.

SuperiorXI

Something just bothers me that you can play another 60+ seconds for football and then they decide to give them a penalty. It just doesn't sit right for me. It's like some sort of advantage is being played.
This is not a feasible way to play the game. What if we scored in those 60 seconds, what then?

Oranges038

He's just desperately defending his mate on the pitch.

No matter what, he'll always say they made the right call in that instance.