g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Honestly, I presume people commenting like this have never done any physical activity in their lives, I'm mainly running now and I can tell you, when you clip something at speed, you can continue for 3/4/5 strides while off balance and eventually go down. I don't know if Diaz could have stayed up or not, but the fact is, he was fouled, if that was a Utd player, you'd be calling 100% penalty, take the blinkers off.
He wasn’t off balance. He dived. It was an obvious dive. Almost as obvious as Jota’s.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
His elbow caught Jota. It’s a penalty with a delayed dive with contact which will never get overturned by VAR. Jota should have stayed up and scored but he’s not here to appease supporters.Either way it’s a goal.
said similar in other comment for Diaz one, at that pace, any clip will put you off balance, why wouldn't Jota roll it in? of course he would except he is off balance due to the foul, maybe he could have stayed up, stumbled and missed it while falling over. It's just biased views, any supporter is calling that a penalty for their own team, they should be anyway.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You should be ashamed mate. If any of our players did that I’d be horrified and call them out for it. Absolutely pathetic behaviour.
I just said he should have stayed up and scored so why would I be ashamed? I guess he picked the easier option I suppose.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
His elbow caught Jota. It’s a penalty with a delayed dive with contact which will never get overturned by VAR. Jota should have stayed up and scored but he’s not here to appease supporters.Either way it’s a goal.
So, not a penalty.

Whatever little contact there was was manufactured by Jota. Something the referees had been explicitly warned to help cut out this season. Which made the lack of intervention here even more disgraceful.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
said similar in other comment for Diaz one, at that pace, any clip will put you off balance, why wouldn't Jota roll it in? of course he would except he is off balance due to the foul, maybe he could have stayed up, stumbled and missed it while falling over. It's just biased views, any supporter is calling that a penalty for their own team, they should be anyway.
Because the ball had got away from him. Which is what triggered the embarrassing dive. This is obvious stuff. How can you be so wrong about both incidents?!

kaku06

Vulgarian
Have some god damn honesty ffs :lol: As shameless as Jota.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Embarrassing

You’re right about the dive bit. There’s nothing in VAR rules as far as I know that says they can’t point out to the ref he took two steps after (min8mal) contact and THEN collapsed both legs, which is not what happens when you get ankle tapped.

Watch his left ankle/foot/leg/reaction here. It’s a dive and nothing else, I’d call a United player out for it.

https://x.com/jesshoskingx/status/1741945428772278746?s=61&t=ZvGzfV2Qafn11jKrPfufuA

GazTheLegend

Have some shame for gods sake. Fair enough the best team won tonight but it's an absolutely embarassing decision. I've watched it like 10 times to see if there's contact, the keeper pulls his hands away, Jota takes another step, then throws himself to the ground. It's horrendous.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Because the ball had got away from him. Which is what triggered the embarrassing dive. This is obvious stuff. How can you be so wrong about both incidents?!
"The ball had got away from him"

Utter nonsense. Complete bilge. Watch it three more times. Anyone scores that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Embarrassing

You’re right about the dive bit. There’s nothing in VAR rules as far as I know that says they can’t point out to the ref he took two steps after (min8mal) contact and THEN collapsed both legs, which is not what happens when you get ankle tapped.

Watch his left ankle/foot/leg/reaction here. It’s a dive and nothing else, I’d call a United player out for it.

https://x.com/jesshoskingx/status/1741945428772278746?s=61&t=ZvGzfV2Qafn11jKrPfufuA
How? How do you get a penalty for that? Then HOW does var not overturn it. That’s embarrassing

RedRocket9908

If Man Utd were awarded a penalty like that one there would be full scale uproar with rival fans screaming about corruption and Talksport pundits winging about it for weeks.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Mikel should freelance and make post-match interviews for other clubs. This is absurd...

bstb3

Bullshit. It was heavy touch, taking him wide at pace. On a greasy pitch. A dive was definitely the easier option.

So many clueless takes in this thread…
He's clearly taken it too wide and far ahead to make it an easy finish, he went for the cheap dive option instead. I can't see how people are having difficulty with it.

Sancho99

This is absolute nonsense. He takes about 3 more steps after a slight brush from dubravka and then throws himself to the floor.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I said got away from him actually. But hey, you’re getting there. Eventually.

Your next task is googling what “minority” means.
I genuinely think you are just trolling me now. Nah, I refuse to believe you are being serious. Well played mate.

Oranges038

Honestly, I presume people commenting like this have never done any physical activity in their lives, I'm mainly running now and I can tell you, when you clip something at speed, you can continue for 3/4/5 strides while off balance and eventually go down. I don't know if Diaz could have stayed up or not, but the fact is, he was fouled, if that was a Utd player, you'd be calling 100% penalty, take the blinkers off.
Aye, and people online know when others have played sport their whole lives or not. I wouldn't call that a penalty for any player Utd or not.

If clipped you can go down, anyone can after a few steps when clipped at speed, but there's a difference between falling and throwing yourself down. You wouldn't throw yourself to the ground when running like Diaz did. Same with Jota for the second penalty. Both are dives.

If those are penalties then Newcastle should have had one before the Liverpool second goal.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Aye, and people online know when others have played sport their whole lives or not. I wouldn't call that a penalty for any player Utd or not.

If clipped you can go down, anyone can after a few steps when clipped at speed, but there's a difference between falling and throwing yourself down. You wouldn't throw yourself to the ground when running like Diaz did. Same with Jota for the second penalty. Both are dives.
It’s so mad how someone can’t see this. Never mind someone who claims to play competitive sports. If you’re tripped at pace - and try to stay on your feet but can’t - you usually end up eating shit in a very ungraceful way. The way they both threw themselves to the ground - with their backs arched - couldn’t have been more unnatural. Nobody goes down like the final scene of Platoon after having their foot clipped.

Obviously there can be a debate about whether it’s ok to draw the ref’s attention to a trip that isn’t enough to knock them over but might prevent them scoring. But referees have been briefed this season to clamp down on players exaggerating minimal contact, or deliberately engineering contact to win a penalty. Which seems to be what happened here.

Oranges038

It’s so mad how someone can’t see this. Never mind someone who claims to play competitive sports. If you’re tripped at pace and try to stay on your feet you usually end up eating shit in a very ungraceful way. The way they both threw themselves to the ground - with their backs arched - couldn’t have been more unnatural. Nobody goes down like the final scene of Platoon after having their foot clipped.

Obviously there can be a debate about whether it’s ok to draw the ref’s attention to a trip that isn’t enough to knock them over but might prevent them scoring. But referees have been briefed this season to clamp down on players exaggerating minimal contact, or deliberately engineering contact to win a penalty. Which seems to be what happened here.
Yeah, you're going to stumble and probably fall forward. You're not going to throw you're legs up, arch your back and jump to the ground.

Clear exaggeration and should have been called for diving. But players will continue to do it, because it doesn't meet the threshold for a clear and obvious error if the referee gives a penalty on field.

I watched the first half with a Liverpool fan and they didn't think it was a penalty either.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Looking beyond the Liverpool game I hate this idea that any sort of contact in the box is basically a penalty. It’s a physical sport but players are just diving all over the place on the most minimal contact. It seems to be happening even more than before and it’s just ugly to watch

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The funny thing is that Diaz penalty is probably a dive but one where you can get away with the lost his balance argument, the Jota one is just a clear & obvious dive and if you can’t see that then there’s no hope for you. If anything the Diaz one in the same game somehow makes the Jota one seem even worse

TheReligion

Abusive
Looking beyond the Liverpool game I hate this idea that any sort of contact in the box is basically a penalty. It’s a physical sport but players are just diving all over the place on the most minimal contact. It seems to be happening even more than before and it’s just ugly to watch
Exactly. It shouldn’t be! even Webb said this during Mic’d Up

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The funny thing is that Diaz penalty is probably a dive but one where you can get away with the lost his balance argument, the Jota one is just a clear & obvious dive and if you can’t see that then there’s no hope for you. If anything the Diaz one in the same game somehow makes the Jota one seem even worse
Yeah, it’s mad to see that happen twice in the same game. And I agree the Diaz one was a bit more marginal. The Jota one was so embarrassing though. Cringe.