VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Kag

There’s a fine line between letting things go and not having control of the game. Erring towards the latter tonight.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There’s a fine line between letting things go and not having control of the game. Erring towards the latter tonight.
Guy looks like he goes to the Jon Moss fitness centre! Very slow turning and keeping up with play.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Nothing happened to complain about in that half. Even got the injury time right.

People looking for excuses because we're wank.

Anustart89

Just like the Martinez one right? Or that one from Rashford? If those are that one too.
Which one's the Martinez one?

You can't compare an accidental handball in the build-up that's committed by a player who passes another player who then squares the ball, which is then turned into their own net by a defender to an accidental handball by the guy who ends up scoring the goal shortly thereafter. Especially since the rule says accidental handball only applies to the goalscorer in the immediate build-up to the goal.

However, if that guy in the middle of the park had launched a shot from 30 yards out and scored then it would've been looked at and disallowed if it did indeed touch his arm.

Anustart89

What's the rule now, are handballs in the build up not reviewed any more?
Deliberate handballs reviewed as normal, but accidental handball only on goalscorer and if it's in direct connection to the goal being scored. Used to be assister too but not anymore.

This clearly ricocheted off a bunch of players and no deliberate movement towards ball so nothing wrong with this one.

E-mal

I hope they keep the same energy when next it is advantage to us following an accidental handball. Also, when is it alright to push a player off the ball in a penalty area?

Darlington Padgett

Deliberate handballs reviewed as normal, but accidental handball only on goalscorer and if it's in direct connection to the goal being scored. Used to be assister too but not anymore.

This clearly ricocheted off a bunch of players and no deliberate movement towards ball so nothing wrong with this one.
That clearly gave him ball control regardless of how accidental it was, and the same thing could be said for that Martinez penalty that cost us points.

Anustart89

That clearly gave him ball control regardless of how accidental it was, and the same thing could be said for that Martinez penalty that cost us points.
The rules don't mention that it's a foul if you accidentally get it under control from a ricochet.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I hope they keep the same energy when next it is advantage to us following an accidental handball. Also, when is it alright to push a player off the ball in a penalty area?
The handball one I had no issue with, if anything Garnacho messed up not getting it away quicker.

The shove in the penalty box by Ayling (I think) was ridiculous. There was no attempt to play the ball at all, it was a clear foul.

Chief123

That’s an absolute shocker from VAR. Blatant handball by West Ham. Chelsea will be fuming!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure what's the point of VAR if they can't give that as a penalty. It was clear handball.

slored1

This was so blatant it is actually hilarious how they decided not to look at it. Boehly forgot to pay the refs as well it seems.

Golden Nugget

VAR can help the game so much - I felt it was used perfectly at the World Cup.

I don’t blame the ref for this one as it would have been hard to see - but if the clowns behind the screen aren’t going to help him and let him know, you may as well get rid of it

Chief123

Apparently Chelsea agreed a deal in January to spread out their luck of VAR over 8.5 years.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They forgot it's only not handball if the arm on the ground is supporting the player. Baffling ?

PoTMS

Shocker of a decision again after the last fixture between these two.

dove

It seems that only offsides are working (usually). They are so protective of their refs that any wrong call made by the ref regarding fouls/handballs is pretty much never corrected by the VAR.

El Zoido

At this point I think VAR is being deliberately sabotaged. Reckon they’ll give it another year or two before letting clubs vote on if they want it, and they’ll unanimously vote to scrap it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Pawson is the worst ref in the league (amidst some fecking stiff competition) but I think he's got that right. The arm is coming down in one clean motion to brace his fall, and under the rules, it's not a pen.

You can argue that the rule is daft, but I think it's been applied correctly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:It was quite funny though. The speed of the decision made it even more so.
They took so much time to give blatant offside decision and barely a second for that handball :lol:

mav_9me

Pawson is the worst ref in the league (amidst some fecking stiff competition) but I think he's got that right. The arm is coming down in one clean motion to brace his fall, and under the rules, it's not a pen.

You can argue that the rule is daft, but I think it's been applied correctly.
I guess all you need to do is dive and save like a GK. After all you are falling.

mav_9me

Bring in a challenge system where managers can force the use of VAR or just get rid of it.
It appears VAR looked at it and decided it wasn't a handball.

Nothing one can do if the refs are incompetent. No amount of technology will fix that.

Chief123

He was falling down. No idea how some of you think that was a pen

https://dubz.co/c/g35kmw
There looked like intent though. Otherwise every defender will fall to the ground in front of every shot and put their hands out below them and claim they were falling.

It can’t just be no handball because a player is on their way down. Every defender can now dive down and use their hands to stop the ball going past.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
That is soooo bad. You give the defender some benefit if it's coming straight at him. But when you consider the distance to the ball, and that he leans and goes towards it. It's as stonewall as you can get.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The ball clearly comes off his knee, are they all blind?