VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

acnumber9

A save/block doesn't count as a deliberate play of the ball. Because obviously if it did you'd have situations where a player is miles offside, someone else takes a pot-shot, then the goalkeeper's save plays the offside player on again for a tap in. So I would guess they counted Pickford's touch here as a block/save.

The difference between that and the Antonio goal is that in Antonio's case there was a save, then the defender unquestionably played the ball, then Antonio scored. You can see the goal here from 2.30:

That's my read of how they interpreted it anyway. But hey, I could be wrong. The rules are confusing and full of technicalities.
It’s not a save, it’s a tackle.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just looked at it. It’s about 7 seconds between then and when he jogs towards the keeper and goes around him.
It’s just not immediate. If that’s the rule then it doesn’t apply.
I’m wondering if VAR thinks he’s taking it around the keeper on the replay, it’s the only explanation
It should have been ruled out they made a mistake

acnumber9

Damn, so they thought that Boro's player had arm in natural position back then? Bloody hell
I’m fairly certain that time they got wrapped up in the rule change that meant passing after an accidental handball meant the goal was given. Forgetting to apply the actual handball rule before that.

arnie_ni

Except rules have been adjusted off the back of VAR. It micro manages games in a way the rules were never designed for.

VAR isn’t improving the standard of officials and saying it’s not VAR’s fault it’s the officials is fecking stupid. It literally stands for video assistant referee. VAR is a person watching tv. If that person is a problem then VAR is a problem.
See I don't agree. With decent officials in other countries it runs "largely" smoothly.

It's the shite officials here that's the problem. Two World cups in a row with no English league refs.

Fredrik.A

Maybe it was the right call, but thats not what should be discussed. VAR has to be consistent. You can not allow West hams second and third goals to stand and then in another game disallow Rashys. Its absurd and should be talked about a lot. Changes need to happen.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m fairly certain that time they got wrapped up in the rule change that meant passing after an accidental handball meant the goal was given. Forgetting to apply the actual handball rule before that.
Yeah, i also remember that they said that back then. The point was that it is accidental. Nothing with unnatural position (which it was).
So they changed it after that?

Red_Aaron

I know it's in line with the guidelines for the season but it's an absolute nonsense to penalise an attacker for something a defender would be allowed to get away with . Completely against the spirit of the game imo

Widow

There is no interpretation of 'immediatly' it's definition is quite straight forward 'at once, instantly' and/or 'without any intervening time or space'. Rashford does not score immediately after his alleged handball offence meaning that it shouldn't of been ruled out, it's actually quite straight forward when you think about it.
There is zero time allocated to any of the words you copied from Google's definition. Therefore, the officials will give their own interpretation.

acnumber9

See I don't agree. With decent officials in other countries it runs "largely" smoothly.

It's the shite officials here that's the problem. Two World cups in a row with no English league refs.
People say it does but I’ve seen some shocking ones given. Recent example bing the ref who gave Sociedad a penalty against United recently.

Idxomer

It didn't count because the away team was the one scoring.

If the foul on Eriksen was at the Emirates, Martinelli's goal would've also stood.

acnumber9

Yeah, i also remember that they said that back then. The point was that it is accidental. Nothing with unnatural position (which it was).
So they changed it after that?
No. The rule was changed at the start of that season to say it was only disallowed if the player handling the ball scores. If there was an accidental handball and then they lay it off for somebody else it’s allowed. The fact it’s a handball if your ball is in an unnatural position wasn’t changed. They just forgot that part.

cyberman

There is no interpretation of 'immediatly' it's definition is quite straight forward 'at once, instantly' and/or 'without any intervening time or space'. Rashford does not score immediately after his alleged handball offence meaning that it shouldn't of been ruled out, it's actually quite straight forward when you think about it.
Yep, it’s worded immediately for a reason. That definition is pretty cut and dry. Not for a handball 30 yards out that goes in the net 7 seconds later after rounding the keeper

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No. The rule was changed at the start of that season to say it was only disallowed if the player handling the ball scores. If there was an accidental handball and then they lay it off for somebody else it’s allowed. The fact it’s a handball if your ball is in an unnatural position wasn’t changed. They just forgot that part.
Ah, so back then they forgot the rules? Oh, bloody hell

acnumber9

Yep, it’s worded immediately for a reason. That definition is pretty cut and dry. Not for a handball 30 yards out that goes in the net 7 seconds later after rounding the keeper
The more you think about it the more ridiculous it is. Of course this will be sweeped under the carpet because it was United and it didn’t change the result.

bucky

Did he have to tear off his leg for it to be red? Leg straight, from behind, forceful, leg off the ground showing studs…
I thought it was a red, as well. Whether a player gets injured shouldn't be the determining factor, but apparently it is.

HookedOnAPhelan

I know it's in line with the guidelines for the season but it's an absolute nonsense to penalise an attacker for something a defender would be allowed to get away with . Completely against the spirit of the game imo
Yeah it's fecking idiotic. No sane, fair-minded person thinks that goal should be disallowed. And nobody would've complained if it wasn't.

Longshanks

There is zero time allocated to any of the words you copied from Google's definition. Therefore, the officials will give their own interpretation.
Without any intervening time or space? As in for something to happen immediately there should be no time between the events in question.

'Straight away' 'without delay' could be other definitions. There is no 'time' allocated because there quite literally is no time inbetween for something to happen immediately.

cyberman

The more you think about it the more ridiculous it is. Of course this will be sweeped under the carpet because it was United and it didn’t change the result.
The rule is basically made for you can’t score a goal with your hand. That’s how it was explained and it’s why the rule changed to if you pass the ball after it then it’s a goal.
It’s weird to see it argued any differently, if you’re giving handballs 30 yards out then scrap the rule and just say any handball in the build up because that’s basically how it was judged today.
Has there been any longer periods of time for goals to be disallowed like that? It’s such an outlier it’s unreal. There must be many examples of similar timed decisions if it is understandable

Suedesi

I have no horse in this fight, but the ref really handed West Ham the win.

Such a dodgy penalty and then the Scamacca goal - what the cack was that? You know it's not a goal when the player himself looks sheepish as fck and does the most timid of celebrations fully expecting to be chalked off.

And then goes full Italian when the goal is given.

English referees are really special, what do they smoke up at the FA?

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

Fully Fledged

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
  • scores in the opponents' goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental
It's on the officials to interpret the time.
Define immediate? That's not immediate to me.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As always, they'll have to clarify their terrible wording in a 'clarification' next week, at which point goals like that will stand, as they should.

Like Lindelof's 'handball' a few seasons ago.

Red00012

Rashfords goal was disallowed because it was one phase. Antonio’s goal today was allowed because he scored in the 2nd phase of the play . (Confirmed on MOTD tonight )

Another new rule I’ve just found out about

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unbelievable that Rashford had his goal disallowed but the two West Ham goals stood :lol:
The explanations given by the VAR officials to MOTD were ridiculous. “No clear evidence of the ball hitting Scamacca’s hand” and Antonio scored from a “second phase of play” after it hit his hand. The stupidest fecking thing about the Antonio handball was that he controlled the ball with his hand. It was a blatant deliberate handball. A free out, whether or not he scores.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not just rounding the keeper. Playing the ball off the keeper. Yet when Antonio bounced the ball off opposition players that created a “second phase” which made his prior handball irrelevant.

I’m not making this up. That is exactly the reason they gave to MOTD.

Fully Fledged

Rashfords goal was disallowed because it was one phase. Antonio’s goal today was allowed because he scored in the 2nd phase of the play . (Confirmed on MOTD tonight )

Another new rule I’ve just found out about
But his was handball where ever it was on the pitch he moved both arms towards the ball. There is no way that was accidental.

Fully Fledged

Not just rounding the keeper. Playing the ball off the keeper. Yet when Antonio bounced the ball off opposition players that created a “second phase” which made his prior handball irrelevant.

I’m not making this up. That is exactly the reason they gave to MOTD.
Yes I think this made it second phase for Rashford's goal but as I said above I think that Antonio's arm movement was deliberate.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Pathetic from VAR today.

Also, pathetic display from Michael Oliver in the Arse - Liverpool game.

The Gabriel handball was 50/50 but how on earth was that a pen on Jesus? (I moaned about this in another thread too).

BarcaSpurs

The explanations given by the VAR officials to MOTD were ridiculous. “No clear evidence of the ball hitting Scamacca’s hand” and Antonio scored from a “second phase of play” after it hit his hand. The stupidest fecking thing about the Antonio handball was that he controlled the ball with his hand. It was a blatant deliberate handball. A free out, whether or not he scores.
An absurd explanation re Antonio, it wasn't exactly ages before the goal. If he was offside instead of handballing it, there'd have been no problem going that far back to disallow it, why would handball have some unique rule?

Red00012

Pathetic from VAR today.

Also, pathetic display from Michael Oliver in the Arse - Liverpool game.

The Gabriel handball was 50/50 but how on earth was that a pen on Jesus? (I moaned about this in another thread too).
It’s ok it was at Liverpools expense

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s just utter incompetence.

arthurka

VAR is always going to be used by officials. They aren’t distinct. It’s an additional tool to make decisions and it’s shit.
That we can agree on its a tool and I think we both agree on the officials being a bit shit too.

NotThatSoph

Without any intervening time or space? As in for something to happen immediately there should be no time between the events in question.

'Straight away' 'without delay' could be other definitions. There is no 'time' allocated because there quite literally is no time inbetween for something to happen immediately.
I googled "immediately" and clicked on the news section. This led me to the article Ukraine, NATO Negotiations Should Begin Immediately: Lithuania in Newsweek. Now, NATO negotiations aren't simple, there are 30 member countries and Ukraine is in a state of war, and even if it was simple you still have to set up a meeting and coordinate. It is completely impossible to get something like this going quite literally with no time inbetween now and the start of negotiations, yet the article exists. 'Immediately' here can mean days, maybe even weeks.

According to the National Library of Medicine, immediate hypersensitivity reactions are called immediate because they happen within 24 hours. If you instead want to do some science experiments for kids, 'immediately' here means seconds or faster.

This is a longwinded way of saying that of course there's interpretation involved.

TheReligion

Abusive
I googled "immediately" and clicked on the news section. This led me to the article Ukraine, NATO Negotiations Should Begin Immediately: Lithuania in Newsweek. Now, NATO negotiations aren't simple, there are 30 member countries and Ukraine is in a state of war, and even if it was simple you still have to set up a meeting and coordinate. It is completely impossible to get something like this going quite literally with no time inbetween now and the start of negotiations, yet the article exists. 'Immediately' here can mean days, maybe even weeks.

According to the National Library of Medicine, immediate hypersensitivity reactions are called immediate because they happen within 24 hours. If you instead want to do some science experiments for kids, 'immediately' here means seconds or faster.

This is a longwinded way of saying that of course there's interpretation involved.
Bloody VAR