g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Love them to explain why it isnt a foul? Anywhere else and it'd be a foul

Berbasbullet

Hardly any football in the second half, bet theres only 4 mins or at most 5 mins added time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
VAR is a great tool by my fecking god are they butchering the application of it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Clearest pen today was the one they should have had on Wilson.

SER19

We can have this conversation without discussing United games to remove bias. On those terms, i would say the league has a genuine crisis of refereeing. What you get in one gameweek now used to be a months worth. Three horrific calls so far in today's game.

Were it not for a bizarre crowded season i think its so bad a pause on games would be justified while its figured out how to progress. They are a mix of weak willed and egotistical and var somehow has made them worse when it's there to help them with human error

cyberman

There’s an awful middle ground of refs letting things go that might be pens and VAR not wanting to get involved. It’s messing the game up and needs looked at.
They can say it’s to make getting pens tougher but it’s to cover up this middle ground that’s not doing anybody any favours

90 + 5min

One more gameweek, a new set of abnormal decision. It is like they are trying to get it wrong. How we didn't get any penalty today is beyond me.

This will happen next gameweek aswell. As long as there are no mics and videos on referees and inside VAR room. They can do what they want. As long as they don't have to answer questions, this will keep going.

Berbasbullet

It is shocking when you think about it that there is a video referee just arbitrarily making calls and with zero visibility of why they have made the decision they have made.

It's the worlds biggest sport at the highest level and we have zero insight into their thought process.

SuperiorXI

There’s an awful middle ground of refs letting things go that might be pens and VAR not wanting to get involved. It’s messing the game up and needs looked at.
They can say it’s to make getting pens tougher but it’s to cover up this middle ground that’s not doing anybody any favours
It's obvious, it's being run by refs who don't want to show up each others mistakes. It's wildly inconsistent and doesn't work. A new system is needed.

cyberman

It's obvious, it's being run by refs who don't want to show up each others mistakes. It's wildly inconsistent and doesn't work. A new system is needed.
I’ve always said we need a panel of 3 in different rooms and majority decision wins. It would really stamp out one ref shitting the bed.

SuperiorXI

I’ve always said we need a panel of 3 in different rooms and majority decision wins. It would really stamp out one ref shitting the bed.
Why don't they just have no on-field ref and then this 3-ref system? So the refs are not even on the pitch but can see everything at different angles in real time?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Evidence for that?
From the video footage that you have seen them using, are you capable of making better decisions than they are?

The problem is not the technology, the problem is the referee’s protectionist application of it. They’re more interested in supporting their mate on the field personally than professionally.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
VAR seems pointless - it just seems transferring the possibility of one human being making a mistake to another human being making a mistake.

Just play the game and stop wasting time. If the referee misses it - so what - the chances are that the person operating the VAR will too.

MDFC Manager

VAR seems pointless - it just seems transferring the possibility of one human being making a mistake to another human being making a mistake.

Just play the game and stop wasting time. If the referee misses it - so what - the chances are that the person operating the VAR will too.
Interestingly, Pawson had the clearest view of the incident in real time. Probably would have given it if not for the VAR system

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
There really should be post-match reports by officials explaining certain decisions to allow for proper scrutiny. Officials have a difficult job, but the lack of transparency and apparent consequences for poor performances continues to undermine their credibility. The NBA has reports on the last two minutes of games that document correct and incorrect decisions made by referees. The Premier League should have this for all major decisions in a match. Allow the match official to give his explanation and then PGMOL or whoever provides an objective analysis of the decision.

Thom Merrilin

The whole point of VAR is to catch things that the on field ref misses. Currently it seems that the on field ref's decisions are given far more weight than the decision of someone watching slo-mo replays from several angles, it's madness in my opinion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
From the video footage that you have seen them using, are you capable of making better decisions than they are?

The problem is not the technology, the problem is the referee’s protectionist application of it. They’re more interested in supporting their mate on the field personally than professionally.
I’m far too biased, to be honest. This is the same shit we’ve seen on MOTD (and on the caf!) since forever. Different opinions based on the exact same footage. The notion that video footage would provide some “truth” to every controversial decision was always a pipe dream. All it’s doing is making the decisions that go against your team infinitely more annoying. All because a bunch of twats couldn’t handle the fallibility of real time, on the pitch, decisions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interestingly, Pawson had the clearest view of the incident in real time. Probably would have given it if not for the VAR system
Yup. That’s one of the worst unintended consequences. Officials not trusting their real time instincts. “VAR will have a look at it. I’ll keep my whistle in my pocket”.

EDIT: To be fair, refs don’t ever keep their whistle in their pocket. Can’t put that one on VAR.

Last edited:

A-man

One pen each so think it evens out but surprised none of them was given.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Since when have cynical aggressive fouls that are just to stop an attack not a booking guy the way? A directive only today I assume?

ManUnitedCanuck

I feel like Ronaldo has not had any "luck" with VAR decisions which he is involved. Appears the refs and VAR don't want to give him anything. With today's incident, if he goes down people will say he's diving or going down easily, however he tries to stay on his feet but gets his standing leg knocked off and gets nothing.