VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Rossa

Since when have cynical aggressive fouls that are just to stop an attack not a booking guy the way? A directive only today I assume?
That irks me as well. In the first half, Burn should have had three yellow cards. First for stopping a counter attack by more or less using Antony as a punching bag. Then he punched the ball away when United were trying to take a quick throw - because he was gassed from running up and down and up again within a minute. Then the obvious one that resulted in a yellow. Awful refereeing and inconsistent as feck.

hp88

How was that Haaland goal ruled out ? He’s doing what most players does when defending a corner.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There’s no rhyme or reason to when VAR chooses to intervene is there?
Nope. The goal disallowed for City just now?

There’s also the stupid inconsistency that when a ref doesn’t give a pen there needs to be a broken fecking bone for them to make him look at in on the screen and overturn his decision but the ref’s original call seems completely irrelevant for a foul in the build-up.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Newcastle should have had a pen on Varane tackle, Sancho was a dive more than a Pen. Ronaldo one was just silly... like the Nani? one years ago. Maybe if SAF was still manager...

For balance, Chilwell should probably be sent off for studs up potential ankle breaker. Endangering safety etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Newcastle should have had a pen on Varane tackle, Sancho was a dive more than a Pen. Ronaldo one was just silly... like the Nani? one years ago. Maybe if SAF was still manager...

For balance, Chilwell should probably be sent off for studs up potential ankle breaker. Endangering safety etc.
Sancho a dive??? Come on, it was a clear foul. Would be more upset if I didn't feel Varanes tackle should've been a foul too though.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sancho a dive??? Come on, it was a clear foul. Would be more upset if I didn't feel Varanes tackle should've been a foul too though.
Exaggerated contact then, jumps in the air. Very soft of that's given.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

What about Trippier not getting near the ball and bringing Ronaldo down?

SER19

That rodri foul on Salah not given is just incredible.

The standard of officiating is a million miles off and is impacting the league like never before. You can see players and managers reacting and while it's a tough job its just plainly clear that refs get caught up in emotion and narrative of games. Rodri, and pep dm's generally, get away with murder every single week. It just must be infuriating and then the one on Salah isn't even kind of questionable.

It's genuinely hard to comprehend how it was just a simple blow of the whistle without questioning either fairness, cowardice or some sort of guardiola sycophancy that sees his teams do this year in year out

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

The standard of officiating is a million miles off and is impacting the league like never before. You can see players and managers reacting and while it's a tough job its just plainly clear that refs get caught up in emotion and narrative of games. Rodri, and pep dm's generally, get away with murder every single week. It just must be infuriating and then the one on Salah isn't even kind of questionable.

It's genuinely hard to comprehend how it was just a simple blow of the whistle without questioning either fairness, cowardice or some sort of guardiola sycophancy that sees his teams do this year in year out
It's this higher threshold nonsense... And you then suddenly get refs judging obvious fouls as non fouls.

Its bullshit anyway as the threshold varies wildly from game to game.

Phil

I’ve just watched 2 games today reffed in the polar opposite way. Every touch of a Newcastle player was a foul earlier but possibly 3 total pens missed and not looked at by Var.

In the City game nothing short of rugby was called a foul and Var intervenes on a goal.

What is going on

SER19

It's this higher threshold nonsense... And you then suddenly get refs judging obvious fouls as non fouls.

Its bullshit anyway as the threshold varies wildly from game to game.

They're over complicating the game. But what infuriates me most of all is 'narrative'. I just don't believe for one second that mctominay or Fred making that exact challenge ends in anything but a free kick and likely a booking. They need an all summer boot camp or something to standardise things as much as possible. Refs are reffing games like guys who spend too much time on twitter, not emotionally controlled professionals

SER19

I’ve just watched 2 games today reffed in the polar opposite way. Every touch of a Newcastle player was a foul earlier but possibly 3 total pens missed and not looked at by Var.

In the City game nothing short of rugby was called a foul and Var intervenes on a goal.

What is going on

Exactly this. I said weeks ago that barring a few exceptional players, a referees personality now dictates a game more than any player. Its absolutely ridiculous

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was a clear tug by Haaland.

Thought Thiago was lucky near the end. O.k he slipped but it's still two feet going into another player which could cause bad injury.

Haven't seen any of the Man. United game so will wait until MOTD 2 and see these apparent decisions and comment further.

arnie_ni

It was a clear tug by Haaland.

Thought Thiago was lucky near the end. O.k he slipped but it's still two feet going into another player which could cause bad injury.

Haven't seen any of the Man. United game so will wait until MOTD 2 and see these apparent decisions and comment further.
You'll see 3 penalties i think. 2 to us and 1 to them

arnie_ni

Anyone a clip of this foul? I missed it

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You'll see 3 penalties i think. 2 to us and 1 to them
I was only reading BBC text but they were reporting that Man. United players were going down incredibly easy in box and initiating contact. Most interesting one for me will be this Ronaldo "goal." If one of the Newcastle defenders actually rolled it back to Pope I can't see why that should be disallowed just because he wasn't ready so that seems most contestable incident in your game.

arnie_ni

I was only reading BBC text but they were reporting that Man. United players were going down incredibly easy in box and initiating contact. Most interesting one for me will be this Ronaldo "goal." If one of the Newcastle defenders actually rolled it back to Pope I can't see why that should be disallowed just because he wasn't ready so that seems most contestable incident in your game.
Actually completely forgot about that. Yes, I think that should stand. Great awareness by Ronaldo.

Casemiro dived for one after these 2 weren't given. Can't remember any others tbh but couldn't be mis remembering

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Varane should’ve had one against him early. Trippier on Ronaldo was another stonewall penalty. Didn’t think much of the Sancho situation tbh.

But what’s the point? The standard of officiating is more inconsistent than it has ever been.

It’s time to scrap this farce once and for all.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Penalties or not, what was wrong with Ronaldo's goal? How VAR didn't react on Newcastle player touching the ball? I don't get that decision at most

Ibi Dreams

What actually happened with the Ronaldo disallowed goal earlier? I missed the start of the move, but people were saying the free kick was already taken so Ronaldo's goal was legit. Was it?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What happened happens every game. A player knocks the ball to the free kick position. It's assumed that's what they're doing anyway. Not that the kick is being taken...

Guess they should be coached to throw it just to make sure everyone realises the ball is still dead.

cyberman

What happened happens every game. A player knocks the ball to the free kick position. It's assumed that's what they're doing anyway. Not that the kick is being taken...

Guess they should be coached to throw it just to make sure everyone realises the ball is still dead.
No, the player played the ball back to the keeper from where a free kick was supposed ti be taken. It is what happens every game, a player taking a quick free kick.
The player may not have realised what he’s doing but he 100 percent played the ball. That’s his fault. Otherwise no quick free kick would ever be legal again.
Rules don’t include the words intent, it just has to be clearly played.
Edit Trippier clearly placed the ball before playing it back as well and the ref blew the whistle. It gets worse every time I see it

Ibi Dreams

Free kicks in those areas are often not taken at the point of the foul, they just carry on because they're already deep in their own half. So it isn't unreasonable to say that the free kick was already taken, if indeed that is what happened. Annoyingly all the replays start at Ronaldo taking the ball from Pope, not from the foul and then the player kicking it back, so I don't know exactly what happened.

Maroon Lucifer

but the ref put his hand up as they do for an indirect free kick, and blew his whistle. the ball was passed to the goalie after that

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Free kicks in those areas are often not taken at the point of the foul, they just carry on because they're already deep in their own half. So it isn't unreasonable to say that the free kick was already taken, if indeed that is what happened. Annoyingly all the replays start at Ronaldo taking the ball from Pope, not from the foul and then the player kicking it back, so I don't know exactly what happened.

1:41 in this video shows it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
They should just use VAR for offside decisions and if the ball crosses the goal line and they need confirmation if the whole ball crossed it.

Shouldn’t be used for anything else as the people upstairs are fecking incompetent. I can only deal with and am prepared to put up with the incompetence from the ref on the pitch.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

He's got somewhat of a point to be fair.

Now I thought it was a foul... But by the standard of what constituted a foul in the game... It wasn't a foul.

Longshanks

Should of been a penalty each in our game today. Varane on Wilson and longstaff on Sancho, not sure we neither was given but at least there was consistency it would of been an absolute travesty if one was given and one wasn't.

Don't think there is anything else to moan about in our game, Trippier on Ronaldo wasn't enough IMO and Ronaldo was definitely looking for it.

cyberman

Varane should’ve had one against him early. Trippier on Ronaldo was another stonewall penalty. Didn’t think much of the Sancho situation tbh.

But what’s the point? The standard of officiating is more inconsistent than it has ever been.

It’s time to scrap this farce once and for all.
Refs have sometimes made the major feck up like today but nothing ever comes of it. I remember Liverpool early in Klopps reign had a corner and the ref wasn’t allowing the corner to be taken because of pushing and shoving. Liverpool take the corner and the ref blows after the corner is taken, while the ball is in mid air, to sort them out again. It was a pen but it was such a feck up that the ref didn’t go back in it.
It’s why Pawson blew incessantly as the ball was entering the goal today. He was making it clear VAR can’t get involved and basically hoping Ronaldo wouldn’t shoot.
If he’s refereeing next week then somethings wrong

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Should of been a penalty each in our game today. Varane on Wilson and longstaff on Sancho, not sure we neither was given but at least there was consistency it would of been an absolute travesty if one was given and one wasn't.

Don't think there is anything else to moan about in our game, Trippier on Ronaldo wasn't enough IMO and Ronaldo was definitely looking for it.
Apart from the ref having no grip on time wasting, feigning injury, and constantly changing his mind on what constituted a free kick or a booking

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He's got somewhat of a point to be fair.

Now I thought it was a foul... But by the standard of what constituted a foul in the game... It wasn't a foul.
There’s also the fact that VAR is only supposed to correct clear and obvious bad decisions. Which is presumably why there was no penalties in our match. Yet City get a goal disallowed for, at best, a debatable foul? So fecking dumb.