VAR and Refs | General Discussion

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
It seems that only offsides are working (usually). They are so protective of their refs that any wrong call made by the ref regarding fouls/handballs is pretty much never corrected by the VAR.
This, exactly

Sweet Square

Apart from on offsides, VAR feels almost as big a lottery as the real-time decision.
Agree, we are pretty much getting the same mistakes. The randomness feels far more annoying now then when mistakes could be blamed on basic human error like not seeing a handball in real time.

It appears VAR looked at it and decided it wasn't a handball.

Nothing one can do if the refs are incompetent. No amount of technology will fix that.
Ah cheers didn’t know it went to VAR. Makes it even more strange

DoctorPepper

Pawson is the worst ref in the league (amidst some fecking stiff competition) but I think he's got that right. The arm is coming down in one clean motion to brace his fall, and under the rules, it's not a pen.

You can argue that the rule is daft, but I think it's been applied correctly.

His knees are already on the ground when the ball makes contact with his hand. I think he would have had more of a case if he was using his hand to break his fall but his hand doesn't even touch the ground. I think it's a stonewall penalty however you look at it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I guess all you need to do is dive and save like a GK. After all you are falling.
Never seen a goalkeeper dive like that in my life. Have seen that posture 50 times every game from defenders blocking or making slide tackles though.

His arm goes in one motion from where it is to where it needs to be to brace his fall. It's not a penalty.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Which was predicted. It still relies on the opinion of a human.
Agree on some penalty decisions which you can watch over and again and it's still debatable, but no-one expected the extent of the shitshow on blindingly obvious decisions, like that handball.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Agree, we are pretty much getting the same mistakes. The randomness feels far more annoying now then when mistakes could be blamed on basic human error like not seeing a handball in real time.
Yeah the inconsistency is annoying. Having such poor officiating in the self-proclaimed best league in the world with all its billions is bizarre. Can't they just poach some decent ones from overseas or something? Outsource VAR to Collina.

redshaw

It's one of those where you could intervene but his hand is also behind the knee area when going to ground. Like we've seen, Howard Webb has brought it back to basics so things like this given in previous seasons won't be given now.

Had he dived to the floor with an outstretched arm it would've been flagged for the ref to rewatch.

That's what the original VAR idea was about, not intervening on negligible incidents. We have video and tech for goal line and offsides, off the ball incidents and glaring errors.

arnie_ni

Pawson is the worst ref in the league (amidst some fecking stiff competition) but I think he's got that right. The arm is coming down in one clean motion to brace his fall, and under the rules, it's not a pen.

You can argue that the rule is daft, but I think it's been applied correctly.
I know what the rule says but that has to be a pen. There's no way that cannot be given. Throwing himself to block a shot, arms away from his body, it shouldn't matter that he's going to the ground. It's a stone wall pen, at least it should be

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Ah cheers didn’t know it went to VAR. Makes it even more strange
Almost everything is reviewed by VAR. However, our knowledge of it is only confirmed by what the broadcaster chooses to show from the VAR stream.

90 + 5min

Unreal. Comedy. Arsenal game. What are VAR doing? What are they looking at? It was clear goal.

* My misstake. It looks offside and they still didn't get it right. I guess it is some justice in some way because of that disallowed goal from Brentford.

Last edited:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Unreal. Comedy. Arsenal game. What are VAR doing? What are they looking at? It was clear goal.
Ermmm.... Wasn't the guy who played it across to Toney offside ? :lol: I think they forgot to check that part of the build up.

Jev

Today's call in the Chelsea match is the perfect example of why VAR is fine for offsides but should be scrapped for everything else. Offside is an objective call, a player is either ahead of the last defender or he isn't. Although I dislike the toenail offsides, at least VAR has (after several tweaks) proven capable of consistently getting decisions technically right.

But other calls are not objective. It's always gonna be one (or a couple of) person(s) interpretation of often imprecise rules. But when you have VAR, you create an illusion of objectivity, of scientific methods, that makes people much more furious when calls are illogical, inconsistent or just downright wrong. The extreme hesitancy to overturn any decision now makes it obsolete anyway so just scrap it already.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
You'd have to think they're purposely undermining VAR in order to get rid of it at this point. If decisions still turn out wrong then what's even the point of using it? It's the same old shit except you can't celebrate goals anymore.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The typical "use" of VAR this season - back every call and non-call by the on-field referee.

Flying high

Almost everything is reviewed by VAR. However, our knowledge of it is only confirmed by what the broadcaster chooses to show from the VAR stream.
I hate the fact that, at times, the comentators are clearly watching the replays that we can't see. Don't fukking wait to see if it fits the narrative, show us what happened!

You'd have to think they're purposely undermining VAR in order to get rid of it at this point. If decisions still turn out wrong then what's even the point of using it? It's the same old shit except you can't celebrate goals anymore.
I don't agree with your first part. I think they are this bad because they don't approach decisions in isolation. By which I literally mean they don't judge an incident on merit, but on how it fits into the game and a wider narrative.

But I agree with the rest. The cost far outweighs any benefit, for me.

I saw the new-ish head of refs the other day, bald fella, forget his name. He had a level of arrogance that is typically only found in police officers and, of course, referees. They are the problem.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Today's call in the Chelsea match is the perfect example of why VAR is fine for offsides but should be scrapped for everything else. Offside is an objective call, a player is either ahead of the last defender or he isn't. Although I dislike the toenail offsides, at least VAR has (after several tweaks) proven capable of consistently getting decisions technically right.

But other calls are not objective. It's always gonna be one (or a couple of) person(s) interpretation of often imprecise rules. But when you have VAR, you create an illusion of objectivity, of scientific methods, that makes people much more furious when calls are illogical, inconsistent or just downright wrong. The extreme hesitancy to overturn any decision now makes it obsolete anyway so just scrap it already.

You picked a bad day to say the bold. :lol:

But yeah, generally you're right. The semi-automated system we saw in the world cup is more accurate and effective again (the above mistake wouldn't happen with it for a start) and it's something that will keep getting better as the tech keeps getting better. People might not like the tight calls, but (barring subjective decisions on whether someone is interfering in play or not) it's the easiest thing to get factually and consistently correct, because it's just about measuring where objects are in relation to each other.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

But yeah, generally you're right. The semi-automated system we saw in the world cup is more accurate and effective again (the above mistake wouldn't happen with it for a start) and it's something that will keep getting better as the tech keeps getting better. People might not like the tight calls, but (barring subjective decisions on whether someone is interfering in play or not) it's the easiest thing to get factually and consistently correct, because it's just about measuring where objects are in relation to each other.
That mistake is really bad going off the wrong defender. Quite ridiculous actually

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That mistake is really bad going off the wrong defender. Quite ridiculous actually
Aye, it's not even slightly difficult to notice:

When I saw it being mentioned I assumed they must have missed a player because he was out of frame down by the corner flag or something but nope, he's right behind him.

cyberman

The first offside call for the Brentford goal doesn’t look that obvious to me, seems to be a feck up as in the camera can’t see Arsenal players arm because it’s tucked behind Brentford player on wrong side

cyberman

They won’t be punished. He nor the idiot in the Brighton VAR room.
What more does it take? They’ve completely fecked VAR from top to bottom but this will get less traction than Bruno scoring an onside goal

Edit I’m guessing lineman didn’t flag at all?

Last edited:

sugar_kane

Is there any reason all the refs need to be English? The Premier League should have the pick of all the best refs in the world rather than the sea of mediocrity and incompetence we currently have.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I thought it was offside when I was watching the replays but when they didn't call I figured I missed something about the technicality of the offside rule.

The Firestarter

Isn't it literally the same mistake that happened with Lautaro's goal against Saudi?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is there any reason all the refs need to be English? The Premier League should have the pick of all the best refs in the world rather than the sea of mediocrity and incompetence we currently have.
Tbf one of the refs is Australian. He sent off some poor bloke for "running aggressively towards the ref" :lol:

Okey

Just watched the Lemina sending off on MoTD, and you just have to laugh at the awfulness of the decision.

cyberman

Tbf one of the refs is Australian. He sent off some poor bloke for "running aggressively towards the ref" :lol:

Referee quality is a huge problem in our league that simply isn’t being addressed.
It’s a mixture of changing the rules every season just because fans think the controversial goal of the week shouldn’t have stood and pretends it happens every week. I’m not surprised referees are too scared to jump in with VAR.
we need something. feck knows what,
Maybe referees accountability but that would only worsen their apprehension to get involved.
Imo we need a panel of three for VAR, if two thinks a decision needs overturned then do it. It’s harder for 3 to be wrong than one.
One sitting there with his thumb up his ass simply doesn’t work. The ref assigned to VAR must fecking hate it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That should have been hand ball against soucek I think, I can see how his hand is bracing his fall but he’s not making a tackle, he’s literally dived to save it :lol:

the Brighton goal being disallowed because they drew the line off the wrong defender

Brentford goal given because they forgot to check the man offside before the goal was scored:lol:

I’m not even surprised anymore, hopefully they’re doing it so VAR gets canned from the league, I can’t stand it.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Both of those offside calls are made even worse by the fact that they LOOK offside. How do you get a decision like that wrong when you have as much time as you need to get it right?!?