VAR and Refs | General Discussion

cyberman

No. The ball is spherical. You need to look from above to be sure. If that angle is not there, for whatever reason, it cannot be ruled out.
That’s not how you judge these situation though. If a linesman saw the situation from that pic he would flag.

RedDevil@84

How would looking at it from above be any different? There is a line of green visible between the edge of the ball and the white line all the way up the touch line. How would that be the case if any part of the ball met the line ? From any angle the line of green would stop existing at the point of contact between ball and line
BBC had an image after the Spain/Japan game

Ludens the Red

It’s at the stage where basically all of them need sacking. They seem to bring out extra special disgraceful officiating in the fa cup too. How can you have the benefit of rewatching a video of a black and white decision and still get it wrong. They’re very fortunate this wasn’t a decision that went our way, because as we know that brings about 100 times more scrutiny.

Last edited:

The Purley King

No. The ball is spherical. You need to look from above to be sure. If that angle is not there, for whatever reason, it cannot be ruled out.
Yes to be certain you would have to view from above, just that the top picture, if I had to guess I’d call it in play

cyberman

Yes to be certain you would have to view from above, just that the top picture, if I had to guess I’d call it in play
But if that can’t be done then surely it’s out since it looks out? VAR judged that last night from an angle they couldn’t see

OldSchoolManc

If that ball not out decision had been on a United goal, we would hear about it for the rest of the season. There would be questions in parliament. And Klopp would say United get all the VAR decisions

The Purley King

But if that can’t be done then surely it’s out since it looks out? VAR judged that last night from an angle they couldn’t see
It wasn’t given out at the time and based on the angle they had it was inconclusive. Not clear and obvious.
If var is going to be used for this we’ll need more cameras looking straight down the touchlines. As it is it’s just going to sow more confusion

Sylar

It wasn’t given out at the time and based on the angle they had it was inconclusive. Not clear and obvious.
If var is going to be used for this we’ll need more cameras looking straight down the touchlines. As it is it’s just going to sow more confusion
Yeah that's how I read it. It's flawed obviously but they just stuck with the decision that was given

Similar to that pogba goal v west ham where it looked out but there wasn't a conclusive picture to prove either way (unless I'm forgetting) so they went with the on field decision.

It's like with a goal, you always see the image with the ball overhead to see if all of the ball went over the line.

Live I thought it was out and same with the replay it looks out. But I understand why you can't base it on that (or well shouldn't base it on that )

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If that ball not out decision had been on a United goal, we would hear about it for the rest of the season. There would be questions in parliament. And Klopp would say United get all the VAR decisions
It's less of a talking point as we won.

We scored a goal at west ham a few years back under Ole when the ball went about 3 yards off the pitch before Pogba pinged one in.

cyberman

But it looks out in that pic. It isn’t even close as the Japan example from side on, the ball is further over the line.
From that angle it does look out. Conclusively out at that imo. I just can’t understand the logic of not overturning it because they can’t see an angle that might show it’s still in.
luckily it didn’t cost us but it’s a flaw. If that ball was 5 foot in the air there’s no way it wouldn’t be given out. Being close to the line has confused everyone. 99 percent of the instances that need to be judged are nowhere near the line to be used as a reference.
It’s a flaw that needs to be addressed if examples such as last night are the norm. How there isn’t a margin of error such as offside wasn’t applied is beyond me

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The fact people are still trying to argue that ball was in, now a very clear photo that it was out has emerged shows the old adage that once people have a view it generally doesn't change.

The Purley King

The fact people are still trying to argue that ball was in, now a very clear photo that it was out has emerged shows the old adage that once people have a view it generally doesn't change.
I don’t think anyone is now arguing it was in, merely that on the evidence presented last night it wasn’t obviously out.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t think anyone is now arguing it was in, merely that on the evidence presented last night it wasn’t obviously out.
I honestly don’t think we need to go as far as Hawkeye for a throw in. To ALL of the players involved it was out. Even Souchek paused when the ball rolled over the line. As a defending player it’s not as simple as ‘play to the whistle’ as human beings will always react to what has been seen with a thought process. In the case of what is being said there would be no natural pauses in the game until the whistle blows, which would see games continuing at full pelt at all times until the whistle blows.

To everyone other than the linesman that ball had gone out. VAR for the second time in weeks decided to show an angle that didn’t accurately reflect what actually happened and made it appear different to what it was.

Chief123

I know we won the game but that could have been costly. Surely they can add a couple more cameras which at least let them see down the line if a ball has gone out. They’ve got so many cameras in the ground it’s weird not to have one to cover the perimeter of the pitch.

90 + 5min

I'm so disgusted with behaviour of Arsenal players and that referees don't do anything about that. If it was ManUtd we would be getting cards for fun but Arsenal can complain pretty much every decision and not get anything. Today, they could have 2 324 penalties and free kicks looking at all those hands up and screaming.

And to let them play 1,5 minutes more without anything that could warrant that is, to put it mildly, very impressive.

Anustart89

What I can't wrap my head around is how Arsenal became so universally liked by media, pundits and referees.

They've got some of the worst moaners in the league, one of the most obnoxious managers who moans about everything and treats the technical area as a mere recommendation, they showboat when wanting to humiliate their local rivals which everyone finds hilarious, and everyone laughs at their manager making a disrespectful, mocking impression of a referee during a game.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What I can't wrap my head around is how Arsenal became so universally liked by media, pundits and referees.

They've got some of the worst moaners in the league, one of the most obnoxious managers who moans about everything and treats the technical area as a mere recommendation, they showboat when wanting to humiliate their local rivals which everyone finds hilarious, and everyone laughs at their manager making a disrespectful, mocking impression of a referee during a game.
Didn't know Richard Keys had an account here :houllier:

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
I'm so disgusted with behaviour of Arsenal players and that referees don't do anything about that. If it was ManUtd we would be getting cards for fun but Arsenal can complain pretty much every decision and not get anything. Today, they could have 2 324 penalties and free kicks looking at all those hands up and screaming.

And to let them play 1,5 minutes more without anything that could warrant that is, to put it mildly, very impressive.
You literally have Fernandez who spends most comes many marking the ref.

1. Stoppage time is the minimum amount
2. Their player went down injured/play acted during stoppage time so the ref correctly added it on

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I know we won the game but that could have been costly. Surely they can add a couple more cameras which at least let them see down the line if a ball has gone out. They’ve got so many cameras in the ground it’s weird not to have one to cover the perimeter of the pitch.

That's not conclusive that the ball was all out.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
There was me thinking the ball was conical when it turns out that it's actually spherical. Feel like a right numpty.

You literally have Fernandez who spends most comes many marking the ref.

1. Stoppage time is the minimum amount
2. Their player went down injured/play acted during stoppage time so the ref correctly added it on
And gets a yellow card most games for it. We all wish he would stop.

In no other game does that extra extra time get added on like that.

dove

To me it's something VAR should not be involved in at all, we have other technologies for that. Balls already have chips in them that was used in World Cup to help with offsides by determining the exact moment the ball was kicked. It would be very simple to just place some trackers on each corner of the pitch to create a perimeter and the refs could see when it goes out of bounds on their watch similar to how they do with goal line technology. It's something that would be very easy and cheap to implement.

Anustart89

Didn't know Richard Keys had an account here :houllier:
What exactly is the problem with what I wrote?

Didn’t people find it hilarious when Martinelli brought the ball down with his back against Spurs at 2-0 up, just a few weeks after spending a week discussing how disrespectful Antony's spin was?

Am I wrong in that Arteta's impression of the ref was being laughed at in the final segment of MOTD when they picked out the top things of the weekend?

Edit: Forgot to mention that there’s hardly any media reaction to your lot playing someone whose bail has been extended for a third time for pretty serious allegations, while other clubs have acted in a different way for either legal or PR reasons. There’s no way that the guy that used to play for us could ever turn out for United due to pressure from fans and media, yet your guy’s out there doing his thing week in, week out.

With these examples in mind, and while avoiding to resort to silly ad hominem arguments, wouldn’t you agree that you seem to get somewhat favourable media coverage and appear to be somewhat liked by pundits and media compared to other clubs?

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What exactly is the problem with what I wrote?

Didn’t people find it hilarious when Martinelli brought the ball down with his back against Spurs at 2-0 up, just a few weeks after spending a week discussing how disrespectful Antony's spin was?

Am I wrong in that Arteta's impression of the ref was being laughed at in the final segment of MOTD when they picked out the top things of the weekend?

Edit: Forgot to mention that there’s hardly any media reaction to your lot playing someone whose bail has been extended for a third time for pretty serious allegations, while other clubs have acted in a different way for either legal or PR reasons. There’s no way that the guy that used to play for us could ever turn out for United due to pressure from fans and media, yet your guy’s out there doing his thing week in, week out.

With these examples in mind, and while avoiding to resort to silly ad hominem arguments, wouldn’t you agree that you seem to get somewhat favourable media coverage and appear to be somewhat liked by pundits and media compared to other clubs?
There is no "problem", you're entitled to your opinion.

Club currently top of the league playing good football with a young squad "seem to get somewhat favourable media coverage and appear to be somewhat liked by pundits and media compared to other clubs" Yes, this is brand new and never happened the years before to City, Liverpool, Leicester, United etc... Every fanbase think the media hate them.

"Worst moaners in the league" when every single team does the exact same thing every week. Yet you react like you've seen snow for the first time.
I have no issue whatsoever with Martinelli controlling the ball with his back against Spurs nor do i have any issue with Arteta imitating the referee in these 2 precise events. It was funny and somewhat justified to me at least.
I was absolutely appaled that ETH went dancing with the players after beating the huge institution that is FC Barcelona as if he won the cup already. I was enraged seeing Rio, Scholes and the english media enjoy it. Is there no respect in the game anymore ? I didn't give a sh*t and thought it was very funny.

Regarding your last point, you're walking on egg shells on fecking Redcafe.net but you expect the BBC, Sky and every journo to make big declarations or a public trial.
There is no media reaction because they legally can't, you (as few other posters here) are fully aware of that but keep trying to score points over it.
You're perfectly right to question the morality of it; many Arsenal fans did and continue to do it. Unfortunately it's often the minority of idiots that gets amplified.

I saw dozens of social media posts with tens of thousands of RT and likes in favor of your player.
You don't see me saying "every United fan are fine with it and want him back asap" because that would be completely dumb, unfair and just not true.

Now, why you felt the need to bring all of this in the VAR topic, i'm not sure, but you do you.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One thing VAR should do, even if they’re not overturning the decisions is feedback to the referee when they have been duped so they don’t count it towards their aggregation yellows.

Idxomer

Bruno was dumb to jump over Alisson when he was going to clatter him.

PSV

Clear dive, should just let VAR give yellows for that kind of stuff.