VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

padr81

Supports
Man City
The Martinez one could have been given, 2nd one no chance. I'd say 1 pen to United vs 0.5 for Spurs. Embarrassing ref performance.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How foul on Pellistri was not a pen? It was clear contact
Couldn't possibly give that after Marinez one. After denying the stonewall peno in the first half, someone could have hit the other with a sledge hammer 2nd half and there'd be no peno.

We should have been 2 or 3 ahead by the time they got their first half decent shot away. Instead it kept them in the game.
Yeah this. We're not good enough right now to get away with those moments (including missing the sitter) going against us.

That sort of handball has been given fairly consistently for a while now. The lack of outrage and even coverage is exactly the double-standards that people pointed out after the Onana incident.

Red_toad

Nice to see Mount, Bruno, Antony etc all being blamed, in a game where we had 2 clear penalties denied by an incompetent VAR and referee. We didn’t deserve to lose, spuds were gifted those points, those decisions were indefensible.

RORY65

Nice to see Mount, Bruno, Antony etc all being blamed, in a game where we had 2 clear penalties denied by an incompetent VAR and referee. We didn’t deserve to lose, spuds were gifted those points, those decisions were indefensible.
The idea is to go out and batter every team you play, if getting something out of a game is dependent on refereeing then it tells you that you're not good enough and reliant on factors that you can't control. Maybe we were unlucky today, although I thought we were really poor in the 2nd half and even in the first our finishing was a bigger issue, but then we were lucky on Monday.

Rustyspider13

I know we were woeful second half, but goals change games. We get the penalty, score first, players get confidence and we very likely win the game. People will think that's an excuse but we've seen the psychological effect of these decisions time and time again.

VAR has created a nice loop of abdicating responsibility. Ref doesn't give the handball thinking VAR will sort it out, VAR doesn't give the handball because they want to 'preserve the authority' of the on field official. It's a farce and with the new rules giving more power and less accountability to the refs (unless they make a bad decision that benefits United, then they are punished) more and more teams are going to get screwed over weekly.

Red_toad

The idea is to go out and batter every team you play, if getting something out of a game is dependent on refereeing then it tells you that you're not good enough and reliant on factors that you can't control. Maybe we were unlucky today, although I thought we were really poor in the 2nd half and even in the first our finishing was a bigger issue, but then we were lucky on Monday.
We get that first handball, we win the game in my opinion. Everything in the game is depending on the refs and VAR, offsides, perceived fouls etc. Terrible officiating, we obviously won’t get a Wolves like reaction from the media and will have to suck it up for a good few weeks.

RORY65

We get that first handball, we win the game in my opinion. Everything in the game is depending on the refs and VAR, offsides, perceived fouls etc. Terrible officiating, we obviously won’t get a Wolves like reaction from the media and will have to suck it up for a good few weeks.
A properly good team takes the decision on the chin and still goes and wins a game against a pretty average side who have just lot their best player. The fact that we're not that good, or at least aren't currently given we look miles off the pace physically and tactically, means a decision not going our way is enough excuse for us to lose a game and produce a really poor 2nd half performance.

Red_toad

A properly good team takes the decision on the chin and still goes and wins a game against a pretty average side who have just lot their best player. The fact that we're not that good, or at least aren't currently given we look miles off the pace physically and tactically, means a decision not going our way is enough excuse for us to lose a game and produce a really poor 2nd half performance.
We’re not a good team at the moment, how haven’t you noticed that? Plus it wasn’t a decision, there went 2 such calls and both were incorrectly called. If Mike Dean or whoever it is Sky have, needs to make a comment and get todays officials stood down, if Wolves is now the standard.

90 + 5min

ten Hag needs to stop being so fecking passive and call this bull shit out.
If he doesn’t start to put pressure on referees and start talking about this every press conference he can resign. I’m fed up seeing us being bullied by everyone.

So can anybody explain exactly why that wasn't a penalty? Because it looked to me like the textbook example, hand away from body, hand at shoulder height, hand moving towards the ball, goal bound shot, not close to the ball striker. Ticks every box.

The Martinez one could have been given, 2nd one no chance. I'd say 1 pen to United vs 0.5 for Spurs. Embarrassing ref performance.
Martinez got his foot across onto the ball marginally ahead of the Spurs player. If he hadn't i think it would have been given.

The handball was as clear a penalty as I've ever seen.

FerociousCorgis

It really will never matter until they put an independent group in charge of var. Refs aren't gonna go against other refs due to their little code/not wanting to consistently correct their peers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So can anybody explain exactly why that wasn't a penalty? Because it looked to me like the textbook example, hand away from body, hand at shoulder height, hand moving towards the ball, goal bound shot, not close to the ball striker. Ticks every box.
Because Wolves didn't get a penalty last week.

I don't even think that's tin foil hat stuff, that is genuinely 100% the reason.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The simple and obvious thing to go is to have them mic'd so we can hear them talking to each other when a VAR decision is happening. It kills all conspiracy nonsense dead in its tracks.

bstb3

Glad Bruno is calling it out, needs to keep happening. I fully expect some charge or penalty for him now, but they deserve it. They are crap. Moss can try to schmooze it with the managers and apologize after. Webb can go on sky and try to explain how they are making changes, so they have more respect and less hassle. Maybe instead they can actually just be better and more accountable? Is that too much to ask?

Zoid

The simple and obvious thing to go is to have them mic'd so we can hear them talking to each other when a VAR decision is happening. It kills all conspiracy nonsense dead in its tracks.
That's why it's never going to happen.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Has to be called out really, while there are aspects of the performance that it doesn't directly relate to, a penalty that's scored there changes the game from that point on.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Just seen Macallisters red card for Liverpool, how can pundits say that isn't a red with a straight face. An absolute cowards tackle, dangerous as feck, he's purposely went in studs first to protect himself by taking any contact to his studs, from any potential follow through from the opposition who went for the ball instead.

Oranges038

He's bang on.

Meanwhile Klopp is going to talk to the authorities about their red card, I think that was a shocking decision, worse than the penalty decision.

I assume both sets of referees will get next weekend off now.

90 + 5min

I like this. We need to hear this not from individual but from the club. We should be proud of our captain for saying like it is and we should demand club to do the same.

Last week we were denied 2 penalties and we saw what happened today. 3 denied penalties in 2 weeks. What is going on?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I like this. We need to hear this not from individual but from the club. We should be proud of our captain for saying like it is and we should demand club to do the same.

Last week we were denied 2 penalties and we saw what happened today. 3 denied penalties in 2 weeks. What is going on?
Have you ever seen utd do something like this?