VAR and Refs | General Discussion

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The simple and obvious thing to go is to have them mic'd so we can hear them talking to each other when a VAR decision is happening. It kills all conspiracy nonsense dead in its tracks.
They have done it in cricket not sure why can't they do it here

90 + 5min

Have you ever seen utd do something like this?
No. Not from the club. Only individuals. However that must change. How can you change something without making your voice heard? Everybody knew what would happen today after last weeks game. Everybody. It has even been discused here. A game we were denied two penalties but still got others to make up agenda that we won because of VAR.

The sooner this club act and stand by their players, staff and fans the better it will be.

cyberman

Refs being pressured into ruling against us and the constant hysteria when we do get a decision is the little sliver of light I’ll see when Qatar takes us over.
Nobody fecking likes us to the point we are now at a disadvantage on the pitch. Being Qatar owned won’t change our standing one iota outside of our fanbase.
I fecking hate it

Cpt Negative

We had 3 penalties all season and two were charity penalty’ (given at a point in game where the result is a formality and the ref can make an easier decision)

Removing the Chelsea and City penalties, we got 1 meaningful penalty in the league all season… and I don’t think that was given on field either.

Klopp really did a number on his when he talked about penalties, we don’t even get stone wall ones

Jurgen Plopp

When Nunes was sent off for wolves v Brighton yesterday Cuna ran in and grabbed Dunk around the neck which Casimiro was sent off for - missed by VAR i suppose?
its at 2:52 on Sky highlights here: (or MOTD BBC iplayer)

Sky Highlights

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
About time we started doing this.
Blasting the ball in to someone's hand from a meter away is not a pen. It not deliberate handball. If there's movement hand towards ball or similar deliberate movement you can argue it. Not in that case. Bruno needs to learn the law. A big part of the problem is its been got wrong for years now. With the deliberate part forgotten. Now they've corrected it.

The Liverpool game had a lot of problems yesterday. The Liverpool penalty and red card should both be overturned and Bournemouth had a good shout (certainly better than the Liverpool one given for a dive..) with this (was quite hard to find, can't see it in the official highlights or any better quality view):

Webb needs to get things together fast...

cyberman

Blasting the ball in to someone's hand from a meter away is not a pen. It not deliberate handball. If there's movement hand towards ball or similar deliberate movement you can argue it. Not in that case. Bruno needs to learn the law. A big part of the problem is its been got wrong for years now. With the deliberate part forgotten. Now they've corrected it.

The Liverpool game had a lot of problems yesterday. The Liverpool penalty and red card should both be overturned and Bournemouth had a good shout (certainly better than the Liverpool one given for a dive..) with this (was quite hard to find, can't see it in the official highlights or any better quality view):

It wasn’t blasted, there was enough distance between the shot and the defender and he had his arms up and out away from his body.
There’s not one aspect of the handball rule that it fails.
I don’t know if you realise you’re doing it but you and a few other Chelsea fans are literally on here arguing against every talking point against United fans when the decisions blatantly doesn’t go our way.
Feck me we cant always be wrong

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Intent hasn't actually been part of the law for a while now has it?
Even if you're correct, they only made that decision this weekend because Brighton had a penalty given against them for hand ball last weekend that definitely wasn't deliberate.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sky kept it completely out of their YouTube highlights.
Seriously, I could understand if there was a poor decision and then a bit of debate about it but an absolutely fecking terrible decision followed by media embargo really fecking stinks.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger

This feels rather ironic. If you check the rule, you will see that deliberate is one small part of the rule, while a more central one is:

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Now, the reasoning for not awarding us a penalty was down to proximity, but proximity isn’t key, which was clarified when the rules were changed for the 21/22 season. It’s the positioning of the arm and if the defender has made his body unnaturally bigger.

An arm extended away from the body makes that body bigger, in an unnatural position," explains Mike Riley, Managing Director of Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the referees' body.

"If the ball strikes that arm, particularly if it is blocking a shot on goal, there is a greater likelihood we will penalise that."

For me, it is rather mental that Romero is allowed to go in with his arm stretched that far out, which for me is far from an natural position. I also fail to see how it’s correct to use proximity in situations like these, where the defender is lunging in to block a shot. Proximity is more for situations where defenders are standing still, not actively moving their arms, and getting the ball hammered at them from close distance.[/i]

Plastic Evra

Always thought introducing VAR was a terrible idea. Some argued "If it doesn't work we can always roll back" that I never believed.
I think the prediction that it wouldn't solve more disputes but just displace them elsewhere has proved accurate.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Can’t view the video, what was the reasoning given for the no call being correct?
Because of the proximity apparently. Ignoring the fact it wasn’t a snap shot that caught him off guard, he actively lunged into the path of the ball to block it and made himself big in the process.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Because of the proximity apparently. Ignoring the fact it wasn’t a snap shot that caught him off guard, he actively lunged into the path of the ball to block it and made himself big in the process.
Knew it was gonna be proximity. Thanks.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So, if proximity is the reasoning, what happens in a similar incident but say near/in the six-yard box with an obvious goal/shot on goal? Does proximity then get used if denied? Would they award/confirm the penalty due to closer shot in/near goal?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I thought they'd concluded that the standard of refereeing was in dire need of improvement, and that's partly why Howard Webb was brought in?

But now they've changed two things that give referees significantly more power to influence games:

• They can book players (that aren't the captain - Bruno Fernandes notwithstanding) for approaching them and arguing.
  • There's a higher threshold for "clear and obvious" when it comes to VAR overturning an on field decision.

We're only two games in and we're already seeing wildly inconsistent VAR calls (especially when it comes to penalties), and completely arbitrary enforcement of the rules surrounding arguing with the ref (as well as waving imaginary cards and timewasting).

Oranges038

That's never a red for Tomiyasu, softest second yellow you'll see
The funniest part of that was that Ayew was on a yellow and took Saka down similarly monents earlier and avoided a second yellow for it.

I can only assume that today we are going to hear the apologies and that the referees from the Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal games are to be suspended for next weekend for their "mistakes".

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
I wouldn't mind so much but these guys are on anything from 70k to 200k a year, a frigging var ref is on a 30k retainer...they are meant to be the most elite refs in the UK who have come through the fire and brimstone of grassroots footy to make it to the top level. I know its a tough job and I sure wouldn't want it but when you see some of these decisions you have to wonder what the hell is happening behind the scenes to end up in this situation. They are charged with overseeing the games of a multi-billion pound industry, rewarded handsomely for doing so, and yet, seemingly, can't agree on the colour of shite when it comes to applying the rules.

Part of the problem is they have a massive rate of attrition when it comes to new ref, not many make it past the lower levels because its a bit shit down there, poorly rewarded and thankless. It takes a certain kind of character to make it out which means the actual pool of top flight refs to choose from is rather small, more needs to done to retain newly qualified refs and encourage them to stay in the game, the money is certainly there to do that.

Mics would also help at the top level to reduce abuse and bring transparency to the process, a little go pro could be used as well to help people understand what it is a referee sees. I know top flight refs would probably be reticent to do this but they are professionals who are highly rewarded and it would help reduce abuse, increase transparency and improve understanding. All of which are needed.

At the same time as I say all this and dislike the current standard of refereeing I don't want it to become some sort of robotic process, the refereeing and the decisions that come with it add to the emotion and enjoyment of the game, it's part of the spirit. VAR should only used in edge cases to clear up uncertain situations, not used as a crutch. Refs can essentially pass the buck to VAR and the letter by letter interpretation of the rule book, I don't personally really want that. I accept mistakes will be made; it happens, their human, but consistency please. I'm not sure where the balance in all this is but we're not there right now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just caught up on the Liverpool ones because they sounded juicy. The penalty decision is a disgrace as he clearly dives (literally flops like a magikarp). MacAllister's straight red was also laughable.

These guys running VAR remind me of the bullshit you get when you bring consultants in to "help" your business. Their entire purpose seems to be looking like they're doing a job rather than doing a good one.

Rossa

Are you kidding me? Garnacho didn't strike the ball into a stationary defender. The defender rushed into the tackle with his arms spread like Peter Schmeichel in his prime. The defender rushing in was the only reason why it was close proximity in the first place. He put himself in that position. Nobody else. Of course it's a penalty; unless you go all Sam Harris about it and think you have no free will, I am bloddy adamant about it being deliberate.

Rossa

Exactly. It makes absolutely no sense. It's like kicking someone in the head is clearly an offense. However, if you go all Phil Jones about it and scrub your face to the grass, then one can discuss if it really is all that reckless to make a tackle on the floor. The defender clearly rushed into the situation. Thus it is clearly deliberate. Clearly his arms is not into his body. Obviously he is making himself bigger by so doing. It's about as blatant a penalty I have seen.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Exactly. It makes absolutely no sense. It's like kicking someone in the head is clearly an offense. However, if you go all Phil Jones about it and scrub your face to the grass, then one can discuss if it really is all that reckless to make a tackle on the floor. The defender clearly rushed into the situation. Thus it is clearly deliberate. Clearly his arms is not into his body. Obviously he is making himself bigger by so doing. It's about as blatant a penalty I have seen.
He’s literally saying that you can go diving in at their feet all Stevie Starfish and if it hits your hand from a foot away it’s not a handball because you’re too close to react.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought they'd concluded that the standard of refereeing was in dire need of improvement, and that's partly why Howard Webb was brought in?

But now they've changed two things that give referees significantly more power to influence games:

• They can book players (that aren't the captain - Bruno Fernandes notwithstanding) for approaching them and arguing.
  • There's a higher threshold for "clear and obvious" when it comes to VAR overturning an on field decision.

We're only two games in and we're already seeing wildly inconsistent VAR calls (especially when it comes to penalties), and completely arbitrary enforcement of the rules surrounding arguing with the ref (as well as waving imaginary cards and timewasting).
It's funny because one of the big issues with VAR was that the threshold was actually too high, you'd see clear errors that couldn't be overruled because they weren't seen as big enough errors.

Josep Dowling

Crazy how that's not given. The hand is away from his side and stopped the ball going towards goal. For Dermot Gallagher to give the proximity excuse is ridiculous. So if a defender charges towards an attacker with his arms out that is now not deemed a penalty? This racket of refs needs disbanding because they're all too friendly with each other. VAR and former referees on media channels are being used to protect referee decisions even when they're wrong. Something has to change but it never does.