VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

90 + 5min

Mike Dean always sounds so wrong with that horrible northern accent.
Of course he is defending his mates. Nothing strange. We know how it works. We know how we are treated.

There is need to start looking for referees and VAR officials outside England.

Longshanks

There is already a tolerance level ( I think it's 5cm) to account for the margins.
5cm isn't enough when even Harry Maguire could potentially move 16cm in-between frames. And that's just taken from top speeds and not necceserialy how fast the arms and legs are actually moving. And of course it's two players possibly moving in opposite directions. So two Harry Maguire's could move 32cm apart in-between frames. Essentially the offside line is potentially moving 32cm in-between frames. And that's one of the slowest players in the league.

Take two very quick players and it's potentially more like 40-50cm in-between frames.

So 5cm is something of a joke is you ask me.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Does anyone know the rules on the following situation regarding the VAR protocols?

In today's Porto match, they got a penalty, but the VAR called the ref to watch the replay. When the ref got to the screen there was a technical issue and there was no image. The ref then relied on what the VAR said and said no penalty without seeing the images. It was a clear dive by the way, never a penalty.

Porto is now asking for the match to be replayed because the ref couldn't revert the decision without seeing the images. Is Porto just clutching at straws here or do the rules say this is the case?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Every dog has his day.

I guess this is what you live for after 20 years and likely still counting come May. Thankfully not that long yet for United.
I'm a simple man, I'm happy when my team beats a rival and I'm sad when they lose to a rival.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
My opinion has always been that rule changes should only be implemented if you can do so all the way down to grass roots. The back pass rule, for example. A wonderful rule change that improved football immeasurably.

VAR is a load of bollocks. It's made the sport worse without a shadow of a doubt.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You try doing the same thing. In fact do it in front of a wall so you can test it. This time, actually turn your torso in the same manner the defender has so that one shoulder is ahead of the other. If at that point you can't get your shoulder to touch the wall before your head, you need to either see a doctor or get broader shoulders.
Maybe I look at the image of the defender and see if that works. He’s not a fecking contortionist

eire-red

I'm a simple man, I'm happy when my team beats a rival and I'm sad when they lose to a rival.
What's the Arsenal equivalent of Redcafe? Is it any good?

Never understood why anyone would be on a rival forum after a big win. I picture them as those fans who are seated by the stewarts and throw the middle finger to the away end after every goal.

wolvored

You know what Fergies favourite thing he said over decisions. 'It all evens itself out over a season'. Without VAR Arsenal would have had a pen and they may have been 2-1 earlier and the game would have been different. VAR gets more right than wrong overall.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
"Hojlund's got a hold of his left arm there", says former pro ref Mike Dean. Gabriel's fecking put the left arm out in front of him to stop him getting ahead of him, is Hojlund just supposed to stop and say "ah there's an arm there I have to stop now".

If someone trips someone else, is Mike Dean going to say "well he's kicked the defenders foot there" as a reason to not deem it a foul?

These pundits and their reasons for backing the on-field decisions are getting more daft by the day.
It’s an interesting one because at first I thought no pen…..then I thought what if he doesn’t have the covering defender as close (which makes no difference to whether it’s a foul) ie if he didn’t have another defender there….that’s a penalty all day long.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What's the Arsenal equivalent of Redcafe? Is it any good?

Never understood why anyone would be on a rival forum after a big win. I picture them as those fans who are seated by the stewarts and throw the middle finger to the away end after every goal.
No idea, I'm not a member of any other forum. Arsenal-mania, maybe?

I logged in to take a look at the CE forum and came here to have a look, no idea why you think it's weird.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think every fanbase, including our own, is guilty of playing victim with VAR and blaming everything on it when things go wrong. I firmly do believe these things balance out over the season. That being said, Arsenal have now gotten that crucial penalty at Palace where Partey fouled someone, got a goal from a foul on Evans today, and had a Rice handball in another tight game vs Forest that probably should have been a penalty. They're getting the rub of the green right now.

fallengt

Arsenal's 2nd goal should be a foul but British VAR would never overturn it. It was not clear error, either ref call it or they don't. Anthony Taylor is just a cnut.
In the last world cup they VAR'ed shirt pulling during corner kick many times.

Heinzesight

Without VAR this would almost guaranteed have been ruled offside by the linesman. Then everyone would have cried out for VAR being used in offside situations, until VAR also deemed it offside.
Wouldn’t the linesman have put his flag up at the end of that phase of play if he thought Garnacho was off?

forevrared

First, the "penalty" on Havertz - I'm not sure how he pulls it back and doesn't book Havertz for a dive? He hasn't been touched - so if it's not a penalty, it must be a dive.

Saka on Bruno was a red card all day long. Two footed, off the ground, ball is gone. Nasty one that Casemiro would've been sent off and banned 3 matches for committing.

The offside decision is unbelievable - measuring from Garnacho's hand and the defender's shoulder when his head is obviously further along. Nothing whatsoever clear and obvious about that even with the dubious lines drawn. They're just making it up as they go. Especially in light of the goal City scored yesterday... but United get all the decisions.

Hojlund I didn't think was a penalty in real time, but I've got no clue how the VAR didn't look at that. It's as blatant as it gets on replay.

The foul on Evans was more of a foul than Onana against Wolves. Outcry for one, no one cares for the second. Funny how that works. He's likely not even in the place to deflect it past Onana if he's not dragged there. It's shit defending to leave Rice open at the back post and allow him to take that sort of touch and still get a shot away - but there'd have been an inquisition if United had scored that goal.

We've been on the receiving end of maybe one dubious call this season and been the victim of plenty that have changed games. Who knows how the Spurs game changes if we take the lead and the decisions today are tough to see as anything but 3 full points lost. The standard of refereeing has been absolutely shocking this season around the league. I'm not sure what PGMOL are getting at. Are they trying to get VAR dumped to put the decisions back in their hands? At absolute minimum they've got to start explaining decisions. It's how it works in nearly every other instance of sport where there's replay.

CoopersDream

Wouldn’t the linesman have put his flag up at the end of that phase of play if he thought Garnacho was off?
I'm not sure, perhaps. I just think in such a situation a linesman would much more often than not call the offside, considering it's the safe option. You see that with refs all the time.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm not sure, perhaps. I just think in such a situation a linesman would much more often than not call the offside, considering it's the safe option. You see that with refs all the time.
So you’re just making it up. Right

C'est Moi Cantona

Offside looked like a horse racing dead heat to me.

Still not seen a replay of penalty call.

All pointless now anyway.

Flying high

You know what Fergies favourite thing he said over decisions. 'It all evens itself out over a season'. Without VAR Arsenal would have had a pen and they may have been 2-1 earlier and the game would have been different. VAR gets more right than wrong overall.
That's an extremely low bar you're setting. For a team of full time professionals. In a quiet studio with all the technology and multiple angles.

Scrap VAR now. We've seen what it has to offer and the pros do not outweigh the cons, not by a long way.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's offside, the tech won't get that wrong. The lines are mapped to the pitch.
A human adds the points to make the lines by the way. I think it was off side though, just. Fifa use an automated offside system which the PL for some reason have not adopted.

RedDevilQuebecois

Tell me its not a penalty ?

Penalty any day of the year, especially with that bearhug. Gabriel was being turned inside out and was never playing the ball at all.

But, of course, you can't piss off that ape-faced loser Martin Keown twice in 8 days because he would throw feces all over the BBC studio if it was called.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I missed this during the game but this looks like a standard penalty to me.
You missed it because they didn't show a single replay during the game and VAR checked it in seconds and made a decision. Only showed a replay after the game because Ten Hag bought it up.

RedDevilQuebecois

You missed it because they didn't show a single replay during the game and VAR checked it in seconds and made a decision. Only showed a replay after the game because Ten Hag bought it up.
That is exactly what was weird during the live broadcast. You'd normally have replays after the next whistle, but there was none at all and until AFTER the match.

wr8_utd

:'(
That is exactly what was weird during the live broadcast. You'd normally have replays after the next whistle, but there was none at all and until AFTER the match.
United players probably need to be more vociferous in the future and make a big deal about it at the next instance of the whistle being blown. Its the kind of pressure that can make a referee go and look at the screen for a decision he otherwise might not have considered at all.