VAR and Refs | General Discussion

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
But he follows through. If you make a tackle and detract your leg, fine. If you follow through you can seriously injure someone, like Martinez. It’s too violent. Just as if a defender comes in with similar force it shouldn’t matter if you get the ball.
Didn't Casemiro do one of those in the first half, won the ball but one of those scissor kick tackles. Don't think we even got a free kick out of it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But he follows through. If you make a tackle and detract your leg, fine. If you follow through you can seriously injure someone, like Martinez. It’s too violent. Just as if a defender comes in with similar force it shouldn’t matter if you get the ball.
He looked like he was pulling his hands away to be fair - Also he had open palms, think its a different story if its a fist.

Like in a tackle, follow through without studs is largely fine, but with studs then it's an issue.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So insulting is fine but not being called for it?
Taking this result well Rossa? Look, I was only messing around mate. No offence intended and I apologise if that's what happened.

Wasn't a pen though ffs :lol:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Didn't Casemiro do one of those in the first half, won the ball but one of those scissor kick tackles. Don't think we even got a free kick out of it.
That was a clear foul I thought (largely cos Casemiro left the ground) - but then the ref basically just tossed a coin in the air to see what was and wasn't a foul for both teams to be fair

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was a clear foul I thought (largely cos Casemiro left the ground) - but then the ref basically just tossed a coin in the air to see what was and wasn't a foul for both teams to be fair
Yeah was watching Taylor and his on field positioning was terrible, blocked a very promising counter attack in second half and on another occasion when you were around our box he was trying to play a 1-2 with Eriksen. :lol:

Greater Manchester refs for you there.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What's the keeper meant to do instead though? He has to try and make a save (and he does)
I think I agree with @Rossa here. Every player has a responsibility for the safety of other players. Including goalkeepers. Even if the keeper makes a successful save that doesn’t give them carte blanche to annihilate another player with the follow through. Even more so when they don’t actually play the ball. Pure luck that the ball hit Martinez. At no point was he consciously playing the ball.

Rossa

Taking this result well Rossa? Look, I was only messing around mate. No offence intended and I apologise if that's what happened.

Wasn't a pen though ffs :lol:
Terrible result. Mostly fuming with the complete lack of intensity from our players. Not even chasing the ball. Terrible by all accounts.

Fair enough mate, no hard feelings.

Still think it was a pen because of the force he hit him with. If an outfield player does it, it’s a free kick - red card situation. Norwegian pundits thought as much as well. Definitely worthy of a discussion.

Rossa

I think I agree with @Rossa here. Every player has a responsibility for the safety of other players. Including goalkeepers. Even if the keeper makes a successful save that doesn’t give them carte blanche to annihilate another player with the follow through. Even more so when they don’t actually play the ball. Pure luck that the ball hit Martinez. At no point was he consciously playing the ball.
Cheers mate. Completely agree, and the refs let goalies get away with far too much. Feck, I once punched someone straight in his face and got nothing. Felt terrible afterwards.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I just think it's different when you're a keeper... You're often always counting on luck that you'll reach/make contact with the ball. Schmeichel's Star Jump is a prime example of that!

I think it's unfortunate but judging by how strong he connects with the ball, there's no closed fists, and he's moving his hands away as the impact is made, it's not a foul.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just think it's different when you're a keeper... You're often always counting on luck that you'll reach/make contact with the ball. Schmeichel's Star Jump is a prime example of that!

I think it's unfortunate but judging by how strong he connects with the ball, there's no closed fists, and he's moving his hands away as the impact is made, it's not a foul.
I just think there’s a big difference between a star jump in front of a striker and a star jump at a striker. Today seemed to be more in that latter category. Which is dangerous. Especially when the two players are coming together at speed and only one of them is actually trying to play the ball.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So what? It's possible to think Sancho hasn't got what it takes and to also think it wasn't a penalty you know. You seem to have already made your mind up that some agenda is in play though so I'll just say see you later and enjoy the game.
Well you could explain your point of view

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I was surprised VAR didn't get the referee to look at Martinez clattering Elanga. He palmed the ball away with one arm, and smacked him around the head with the other. On the ground, if you nick the ball with your right foot, and follow through with the left, it's a foul, regardless of if you 'got the ball'. Or it certainly should be if the referee sees it (funnily enough Casemiro did that exact thing in the first half, which wasn't given and probably should've been)

If Martinez catches Elanga with the arm he palmed the ball away with, then I don't think it's a foul, but catching Elanga looked like a separate motion and with a different part of the body to the one that won the ball. If it was given against us, I'd be lambasting De Gea's recklessness, and not the decision.

Carl

If that's a red and a pen against Cancelo, then that's a pen against TAA just then.

Carl

Sorry I missed it. Where was that?
Where I said I didnt think Sancho was fouled, but I think De Bruyne was... or at least, KDB made it look more of a foul. Which makes a big difference when you consider a lot of what is and isn't a foul is subjective and ultimately down to a human's opinion.

GwilDor

If that's a red and a pen against Cancelo, then that's a pen against TAA just then.
Agreed. As the rules stand they are both pen+red. Both are harsh decisions with pen+red, but that is the rukes. What is annoying is the inconsistensies though. For sure the VAR-room has seen the Cancelo incident from yesterday but decides to be inconsistent.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Just seen MOTD and both absolutely correct by the way. Laughable you'd try to bring them up as a way to justify the decision you got.

Fulham's pen and your red card correct too.
I agree that the correct decisions were reached in all of the major incidents that went against City.
The point of contention is whether the ref was bent in City's favour.
He certainly was not.
He was inept, not crooked.

Rossa

I was surprised VAR didn't get the referee to look at Martinez clattering Elanga. He palmed the ball away with one arm, and smacked him around the head with the other. On the ground, if you nick the ball with your right foot, and follow through with the left, it's a foul, regardless of if you 'got the ball'. Or it certainly should be if the referee sees it (funnily enough Casemiro did that exact thing in the first half, which wasn't given and probably should've been)

If Martinez catches Elanga with the arm he palmed the ball away with, then I don't think it's a foul, but catching Elanga looked like a separate motion and with a different part of the body to the one that won the ball. If it was given against us, I'd be lambasting De Gea's recklessness, and not the decision.
Completely agree.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Thiago kicking Moura in the face is not a pen. Unbelieavable
Might have just stopped short? Even if he doesn't make contact though it's a high foot and an indirect kick

Thought the Sessengon decision was far worse - clearly pushed in the back by TAA, very similar to the Cancelo challenge and should have been a pen.

Rossa

Might have just stopped short? Even if he doesn't make contact though it's a high foot and an indirect kick

Thought the Sessengon decision was far worse - clearly pushed in the back by TAA, very similar to the Cancelo challenge and should have been a pen.
Didn’t see the one on Sessegnon. However, VAR not even looking at the Moura incident is beyond belief. Looked like a hit as Moura was in pain as he played on.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Didn’t see the one on Sessegnon. However, VAR not even looking at the Moura incident is beyond belief. Looked like a hit as Moura was in pain as he played on.
VAR did look at it.

Rossa

Moura's fault. He goes down screaming and there's a good chances he gets it.

Referees are some of the stupidest people in society and only react to screams.
Must be. They need a feckin audit the lot of em. Sick and tired of these endless mistakes match after match. Incompetence

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Where I said I didnt think Sancho was fouled, but I think De Bruyne was... or at least, KDB made it look more of a foul. Which makes a big difference when you consider a lot of what is and isn't a foul is subjective and ultimately down to a human's opinion.
But you haven’t though have you…saying you think one is a foul and the other isn’t doesn’t explain why you think one is a foul and the other isn’t.

For example I don’t think the KDB incident is a penalty because the contact is so minimal, contact is not a foul and he is turning away. He’s merely touched by the

Whereas when I look at the Sancho incident he is impeded. The coming together of the leg when the defender outstretches trips him

Even Dermot Gallagher agrees, so simply saying I thought one was and one wasn’t doesn’t really explain why. I can only presume at present that you don’t want to explain why for reasons already stated.

Carl

But you haven’t though have you…saying you think one is a foul and the other isn’t doesn’t explain why you think one is a foul and the other isn’t.

For example I don’t think the KDB incident is a penalty because the contact is so minimal, contact is not a foul and he is turning away. He’s merely touched by the

Whereas when I look at the Sancho incident he is impeded. The coming together of the leg when the defender outstretches trips him

Even Dermot Gallagher agrees, so simply saying I thought one was and one wasn’t doesn’t really explain why. I can only presume at present that you don’t want to explain why for reasons already stated.
Ah thanks for posting that, I hadn't actually seen the Sancho one.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Yeah that didn't make sense. Especially because the ref that reffed the City game was the one in VAR room for Pool/Spurs :lol:

Oranges038

Nah. That's great goalkeeping.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nah. That's great goalkeeping.
Swatting the ball away with one arm whilst smacking a player around the head with the other arm in a separate motion is great goalkeeping? I disagree.

Though you must be right here, because neither the referee nor VAR thought it was a foul either, but it seems wild to me that you're allowed to win the ball with one hand whilst doing whatever you want with the other. It certainly doesnt go that way when you do the same with your feet. You can't win the ball with one and foul with the other. Why are hands different?

Oranges038

Swatting the ball away with one arm whilst smacking a player around the head with the other arm in a separate motion is great goalkeeping? I disagree.

Though you must be right here, because neither the referee nor VAR thought it was a foul either, but it seems wild to me that you're allowed to win the ball with one hand whilst doing whatever you want with the other. It certainly doesnt go that way when you do the same with your feet. You can't win the ball with one and foul with the other. Why are hands different?
Yeah, it is. I'd love if DDG was less of a whimp and would come for balls in the air like that.

It was an aerial challenge and he won it Elanga was never getting near that ball. I'd be pissed as a keeper if that was given against me. As a goalkeeper it's only really a foul if you don't get a hand to the ball in those areas.