VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Any idea when was the last time we've got a penalty ? Since that Klopp comment we don't get anything anymore

And when our managers criticize the refs post match - we're automatically get punished
I’ve just looked and in the prem, in the 2.5 seasons until Klopp made his comments we’d had 32 penalties. In the two years since, approx 2 seasons, we’ve had 11. Im not sure what has changed in that time.

ROFLUTION

Coufal with a clear stamp on Summerville - ball nowhere near, yet VAR is completely quiet. Could/should have been a red imo.

Fitchett

I've long suspected that the orders come from the Premier League hierarchy to the referees. Let the smaller teams kick the sh*t out of the bigger teams, to even things up, so as to make the league artificially closer, more marketable and hence, more profitable.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Obviously a foul on Bowen but should the penalty have been given as the ref gives the advantage, which West Ham take, and miss a great chance and then they want the penalty afterwards...

I don't think so.

Posh Red

Obviously a foul on Bowen but should the penalty have been given as the ref gives the advantage, which West Ham take, and miss a great chance and then they want the penalty afterwards...

I don't think so.
I was wondering this. ‘Two bites of the cherry’ springs to mind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I don't think so.
Sort of related but unrelated... why is the ref not asking that pen to be retaken? He basically comes to a complete stop in his run up.... it's a massive bug-bearer of mine that refs don't crack down on that.

cyberman

I don't think so.
Don’t think the ref saw the pen so it’s not classed as advantage but being missed?

Anders Agnalt

I'm aware commenting the ref could end up in heavy penalties, unless you are Klopp or Pep si. So no comment!

Eric_the_Red99

Sort of related but unrelated... why is the ref not asking that pen to be retaken? He basically comes to a complete stop in his run up.... it's a massive bug-bearer of mine that refs don't crack down on that.
It probably would have been retaken if he’d missed due to encroachment as there were two Leeds players clearly in the D when he kicked the ball.

But yes, this stuttering style of penalty has now clearly crossed the line into breaking the rules. The authorities should issue some guidance for refs, ie solve an actual problem rather than constantly tinkering with handball and offside.

nufc-forever

Supports
newcastle
Those very soft penalties the big 6 get, and my team will get in a few years when we will be big is ruining the game. A very good solution will be for every penalty the referee is giving, whatever right or wrong, go to the var monitor. The big teams get an head start almost every game

criticalanalysis

I always thought the rule was to punish a complete stop/pause. Paqueta's movement and stutter step probably comes under the definition of 'one whole motion/movement'.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Those very soft penalties the big 6 get, and my team will get in a few years when we will be big is ruining the game. A very good solution will be for every penalty the referee is giving, whatever right or wrong, go to the var monitor. The big teams get an head start almost every game
You do realize that VAR looks at every penalty and if they reckon the ref made a mistake they tell him to go and look at it, the big 6 get more because they attack more and therefore increase their chances

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You do realize that VAR looks at every penalty and if they reckon the ref made a mistake they tell him to go and look at it, the big 6 get more because they attack more and therefore increase their chances
They've clearly forgotten our game against them. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does anyone in football actually like that stupid offside rule or think it makes sense apart from the people that makes the rules?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Does anyone in football actually like that stupid offside rule or think it makes sense apart from the people that makes the rules?
Well it's one if the few rules that are based on actual fact, you are either onside or offside, most other rules are based on interpretation

Dan_F

Horrendous. I have no idea what the defender is supposed to do. Leave the ball and chance it being offside?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Didn't Brentford have goal ruled out for offside in the last game against Liverpool for pretty much same situation in which they allowed Salah's goal tonight?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Don't you remember your game at Old Trafford this season?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Horrendous. I have no idea what the defender is supposed to do. Leave the ball and chance it being offside?
Why does the defender have to do anything? A player is offside when the pass is played, one of the skills of a defender is to know when to play the ball and when to leave it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why does the defender have to do anything? A player is offside when the pass is played, one of the skills of a defender is to know when to play the ball and when to leave it
Are you taking the piss? Did you watch the goal?

Cpt Negative

nonsense. The offside was marginal, no defender is taking a change leaving that

Dan_F

I’m so confused. How on earth can Salah be onside but that one isn’t.

Regardless of whether he’s behind the line etc, how is it offside?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Either I don’t know what offside rule is or anymore or the officials don’t. I’d like to think it’s me but I dunno.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I mean surely it's best to wait and see officially why it was given before jumping to conclusions. I doubt VAR made the call for no reason.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Take the Everton game, the "goal" was disallowed for offside, mostly because Shaw (if I recall correctly) made no effort to chase or intercept the ball, in fact he made a judgement to move up, that action made it offside,therefore Shaw had the skill to recognize what needed to be done and executed it, still a bit too close for my liking

Dan_F

Take the Everton game, the "goal" was disallowed for offside, mostly because Shaw (if I recall correctly) made no effort to chase or intercept the ball, in fact he made a judgement to move up, that action made it offside,therefore Shaw had the skill to recognize what needed to be done and executed it, still a bit too close for my liking
I would use the classic cliche “have you ever played the game” but you don’t even need to have done so to know why he headed that ball. I’d be surprised if you can get one person on this forum to agree with you.