VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Danger5

Another VAR decision against Ma.....
wait a minute.

Very soft pen, but a dreadful take anyway.

Flying high

Very soft penalty. VAR is just not the right tool for football. Not as it stands at least.

RedRocket9908

Simon Stone: And that goal was confirmed by VAR because Rasmus Hojlund, whilst in an offside position, did not make a play for the ball and was not in Robert Sanchez's way as it went in.

The Denmark striker just stood and watched it.

arnie_ni

Simon Stone: And that goal was confirmed by VAR because Rasmus Hojlund, whilst in an offside position, did not make a play for the ball and was not in Robert Sanchez's way as it went in.

The Denmark striker just stood and watched it.
He was inside the goal, effectively off the pitch, is that offside?

Garnacho's Shoelaces

4 yellow cards for frustrating the restart of free kicks by our players.

No issue with it in principle but I'd put my mortgage on the fact you will not see a cumulative 4 yellow cards between now and the end of the season for the same thing by opponents of United.

No issue with the rules. Consistency has always been the issue. Allows referees to implement their own bias, e.g. Michael Oliver.

SER19

the good and bad tonight. both penalty calls in first half correct, and absolute howler to not give us a penalty for handball and then a truly pointless prolonged check for our winner.

ti vu

What happened in Liverpool game? 2 goal with two clear fouls involved, and somehow VAR allowed both :eek::houllier:

Anustart89

What happened in Liverpool game? 2 goal with two clear fouls involved, and somehow VAR allowed both :eek::houllier:
Not to mention the foul for the winner against Fulham a couple of days ago. That Diaz offside massively paying off for them!

Bobski

How did Amrabat get away with the push on Mudryk as he was striking the ball?

Thrilled he did but on replay it is so blatantly obvious, did they even look at it, would guess they just..missed it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How did Amrabat get away with the push on Mudryk as he was striking the ball?

Thrilled he did but on replay it is so blatantly obvious, did they even look at it, would guess they just..missed it.
That would have been incredibly soft.

Bobski

That would have been incredibly soft.
I don't think so, Amrabat deliberately shoves him as he is looking to strike the ball, knocking him off balance.

Now Mudryk is so bad that the shove probably made the strike better than it would have been but the push is blatant and obvious.

DickDastardly

It was definitely going in but also definitely accidental. Probably a penalty in the CL, mind you.
The rules really need a change.

Accidental or not, you can't just stop a goal with your hand and get away with it.

Never could.
Can't really tell when did they actually change that, but that sucks.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't think so, Amrabat deliberately shoves him as he is looking to strike the ball, knocking him off balance.

Now Mudryk is so bad that the shove probably made the strike better than it would have been but the push is blatant and obvious.
You are allowed contact in football you know!

Bobski

You are allowed contact in football you know!
He literally reaches out as Mudryk is setting himself for a shot and shoves him with his left hand. I hate all the soft pens we get, handball especially but given the environment we are in as soon as I saw the replay I just assumed pen would be given as there was nothing ambiguous about it, wasn't a nothing coming together made dramatic by slow-mo, he tried to knock him off balance to affect the shot, succeeded and got away with it. What wizardry is this.

Doracle

How did Wissa get away with a full on punch?? That’s as bad a decision as I’ve ever seen.

RedRocket9908

Why does Dermot Gallagher hate Man Utd getting penalties, he can never just say correct decision its a penalty kick

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why does Dermot Gallagher hate Man Utd getting penalties, he can never just say correct decision its a penalty kick

Dermot Gallagher was a shite referee 25 years ago so it'd have been true to form for him to not give it.

Flying high

Anyone got a replay of that handball that should have been given for us?

That was going in.
That's just another example of the current handball rules not being good enough.

The ball travelled a really long way. Plenty of time to move his arm out the way. But because it was down by his side, it's deemed not handball.

Nickelodeon

Sorry, what?! It was as blatant as they come. Enzo went in for the tackle and stood on Antony's foot. It was poorly timed and was clearly a foul. Yes, it wouldn't have been given 25 years ago because we didn't have VAR then and refs didn't change their mind randomly. On the rare occasions VAR provides an opportunity to justify its presence, Dermot Gallagher still went ahead and said something controversial.

Doracle

I didn’t think the Antony one was a penalty (or at least it’s the type of situation which is often not given). Antony loses control of the ball, has no chance of getting to it and then the player treds on his foot. Not complaining, given how badly we’ve generally been shafted by VAR this season, but felt an odd one to overturn.

Zed is not dead

The rules really need a change.

Accidental or not, you can't just stop a goal with your hand and get away with it.

Never could.
Can't really tell when did they actually change that, but that sucks.
Agreed.
The handball law was made exactly for this kind of situations in my opinion.
A situation where a handball, deliberate or not, skews the fairness of the game.

In that case he literally blocked a shot with his hands, and a shot on target more likely than not.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I didn’t think the Antony one was a penalty (or at least it’s the type of situation which is often not given). Antony loses control of the ball, has no chance of getting to it and then the player treds on his foot. Not complaining, given how badly we’ve generally been shafted by VAR this season, but felt an odd one to overturn.
If a player is late and stamps on your foot anywhere else on the pitch is it a foul?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's a VAR pen. No-one would have been that fussed on it 4 years ago, now it's seen as a stone waller.

ShinjiNinja26

If that was any other team in the league he’d have simply said it was the correct decision and moved on but because it’s Utd he has to get a little snide comment in about how it’s a “modern day penalty” which wouldn’t have been given years ago. There’s always an ABU angle.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If that was any other team in the league he’d have simply said it was the correct decision and moved on but because it’s Utd he has to get a little snide comment in about how it’s a “modern day penalty” which wouldn’t have been given years ago. There’s always an ABU angle.
He's right TBH

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Always with the hyperbole when it comes to United…The Hojlund penalty claim v Arsenal he said he’d have been ‘amazed’ if that were given. How? Literally how would that have been an amazing decision? How would stamping on a players foot 2 seconds late not have been worthy of a pen in 1999?

glasgow 21

You believe whatever is going on in your head but the facts are Antony gets his toe to the ball before Enzo comes in on him, its a clear penalty.
99,000 instances of defenders goes to kick the ball in penalty box and opposition nicks in a touch on it ( no even goal bound) and the defender follow through catch the attacker and penalty is given.
There isn't even a debate

Dr. T

Once again referees all over the shop. How did Van Dijk get away with that karate move on the defender for Liverpool's first goal? I mean he clearly trips up a player leaving himself completely unmarked to volley home. Pathetic.

I thought our penalty last night was soft - a very rare occurence of something being most likely a yellow card but not actually a penalty (if that could make sense - but then again what does). Fernandez tackling over the ball and coming down on the ankle of someone is a yellow card (minimum) all day, anywhere on the pitch. That's the directive, that's how it is applied. But Antony had lost control of the ball and the challenge didn't deny any opportunity to us in any way.

Just for giggles I'd like to see the ref hand out a yellow card but not give the penalty. Imagine the meltdown.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Always with the hyperbole when it comes to United…The Hojlund penalty claim v Arsenal he said he’d have been ‘amazed’ if that were given. How? Literally how would that have been an amazing decision? How would stamping on a players foot 2 seconds late not have been worthy of a pen in 1999?
It's not the level of contact. It's the idea there's always been a presumption it's not a foul where contact was incidental and the offensive team got their shot/pass away cleanly, so they had an advantage just in advance. There was surprise when Arsenal got a penalty last year against City when Ederson took out Jesus after a shot. Not seen it given since to be fair but the principle is not clear cut.

Oranges038

He's a tool.

Player plays the ball off and then an opponent comes right across his foot with studs. It's a foul everywhere else on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The most annoying thing here isn’t whether or not he’s right that it’s a soft pen. It’s the way he’s been bending over fecking backwards to justify every single VAR call up until this one. Including a bunch of them which were a hell of a lot less obvious.