VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone have a single other example of a similar penalty being given? Honestly can't think of one.
You’re saying it’s an accepted part of the game that defenders can just put two hands around a players waist and hold them back without challenging for the ball?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But your stance is “never a penalty for me” because referees are inconsistent and often don’t give that foul as a penalty.

That defies logic. It’s a clear penalty, its a clear foul in the box, yet you’re making your personal judgement that it shouldn’t be given as a penalty because referees are inconsistent in giving it.

If you think it was a foul in the box, you think it was a penalty. Referee’s regularly getting it wrong shouldn’t factor into your objective view of the incident.
Yeah for me, even it's a foul outside the box, I wouldn't give it as a pen still. You're free to disagree, I don't gotta convince you

BabySinclair

Eriksen against Richarlison is a free-kick but Udogie against Garnacho isn't a penalty.....this is always crazy :houllier:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yeah for me, even it's a foul outside the box, I wouldn't give it as a pen still. You're free to disagree, I don't gotta convince you
So defenders in your opinion are free to use their hands to hold a player back, without making any attempt at challenging for the ball? That’s just fine as long as it’s in the box.

ManUnitedCanuck

I've seen it thousands of times. Never given as a pen and definitely not when the player falls like he was taken out by a sniper
Well he was on his feet and ref wasn’t giving the foul…so why do you think players flop

Pens are given weekly when players are “shot by a sniper” when someone brushes their toenail

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Bentancur scores. After booting the ball away in first half, getting booked then berating the referee for a minute afterwards. Seeing as Dalot's red wasn't rescinded and no apology yet from PMGOL, we can expect asking for our game to be replayed now because of the mistake of not sending Bentancur off?
Gibbs-White was even worse. And then he stayed on and scored the winner

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You’re saying it’s an accepted part of the game that defenders can just put two hands around a players waist and hold them back without challenging for the ball?
Was a genuine question.

kouroux

So defenders in your opinion are free to use their hands to hold a player back, without making any attempt at challenging for the ball? That’s just fine as long as it’s in the box.
There is a degree of freedom they've always been given inside the box because the threshold for a pen is more often higher than a simple foul in the middle of the park. It's the reality of football.

ManUnitedCanuck

There is a degree of freedom they've always been given inside the box because the threshold for a pen is more often higher than a simple foul in the middle of the park. It's the reality of football.
So explain Rodri pen then…this is the problem…they have replay to see similar events and they produce completely different outcomes.

You can always explain an individual incident, however when you then compare that to others the argument goes out the window. Ie. See Gallagher when he was recently asked to compare two incidents…he stumbled and then just restated why he thought the one was a pen…would not state the reason one was given, one wasn’t.

kouroux

So explain Rodri pen then…this is the problem…they have replay to see similar events and they produce completely different outcomes.

You can always explain an individual incident, however when you then compare that to others the argument goes out the window. Ie. See Gallagher when he was recently asked to compare two incidents…he stumbled and then just restated why he thought the one was a pen…would not state the reason one was given, one wasn’t.
Rodri pen was never a pen for me, joke of a decision

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Gibbs-White was even worse. And then he stayed on and scored the winner
Forgot about that one. The catalogue of officiating decisions which have affected results this year is really adding up. Spurs handball in first game. Arsenal no red card for Saka on Bruno, no penalty on Hojlund, Garnacho wrongly given offside. Liverpool Dalot red card. Spurs non-penalty today and Bentancur not sent off. Nottingham Forest with Gibbs-White not sent off. Sure there are many more. There's a clear agenda.

ManUnitedCanuck

Rodri pen was never a pen for me, joke of a decision
Great, but it was given after VAR…so they have to call it the same throughout the season…hence the problem…can’t pick and chose whom you are going to call a penalty for and whom your not

kouroux

Great, but it was given after VAR…so they have to call it the same throughout the season…hence the problem…can’t pick and chose whom you are going to call a penalty for and whom your not
That's why all I've ever mentioned is how I view things. Expecting consistency from refs is like hoping for snow where I live, maybe in a million years time

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Helps when the people who own Manchester City are bribing EPL officials with half their yearly salary to referee 5-a-side games on all expenses paid trips.

Nothing to see here though :wenger:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Does anyone have a single other example of a similar penalty being given? Honestly can't think of one.
I can’t think of many times I’ve actually seen that happen on a football pitch. Never mind in the box…he literally restrained him which is brainless for a defender in the box. Not sure what he was thinking.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

You can literally his pull on him isn’t superficial it drags him back. It’s exactly what VAR should be picking up.

ManUArfa

This is the problem. The ref was not well placed to judge the foul on Garnacho and he appeared to wave it away as nothing - hence VAR would not touch it. If VAR is being used as a retrospective check then all refs should not be giving an indication of their initial opinion of any possible foul in the box.

antk

This is the problem. The ref was not well placed to judge the foul on Garnacho and he appeared to wave it away as nothing - hence VAR would not touch it. If VAR is being used as a retrospective check then all refs should not be giving an indication of their initial opinion of any possible foul in the box.
This is not how VAR works.

ManUArfa

This is not how VAR works.
Which is the problem. Every decision is assumed to be correct unless a penalty that is given is an obvious howler which they then reluctantly overturn. The ref should be referring all possible penalties to VAR, especially when they're not at the correct angle to judge and well away from it. Alternatively team captains should be allowed up to a certain number of referrals.

The alternative is no VAR for subjective decisions and just stick with goalline technology.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't understand how Garnacho's wasn't given a penalty. Had he gone down on the initial grab I'd understand why it wasn't given. But he clearly tried to go and couldn't. He went down on his second try to run for the ball. Thankfully we scored shortly after, but this was yet again another call we that we deserved and didn't get...

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Textbook pen on Garnarcho. Udogie has both arms around him and drags him back. Was it even checked by VAR?
120% penalty but VAR didn't intervene at all.
If it was LiVARpoo Klopp would have screamed to kingdom come and the media would be going wild !!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I don't understand how Garnacho's wasn't given a penalty. Had he gone down on the initial grab I'd understand why it wasn't given. But he clearly tried to go and couldn't. He went down on his second try to run for the ball. Thankfully we scored shortly after, but this was yet again another call we that we deserved and didn't get...
The problem is that EtH and our club never criticise these actions

KjaAnd

120% penalty but VAR didn't intervene at all.
If it was LiVARpoo Klopp would have screamed to kingdom come and the media would be going wild !!
Absolutely. I don't get why we don't do the same. Apply pressure to the refs. What's the worst thing that can happen? They're already screwing us over.