VAR and Refs | General Discussion

erikcred

Ok my two cents on the Onana penalty. 100% NOT a penalty for me and here is why:

Firstly, AWB cleared it so there was no chance denied.

Secondly, a goalkeeper is allowed to use their hands, so have every right to challenge for the ball with their hands where another player has to use their head. If that was the coming together of two heads, it would never be given as a penalty because it’s a 50/50 challenge. So same rule applies here.

Onana wasn’t late, evidenced by the fact he was occupying the same space as the attacker. It’s just that because of AWB there was no challenge for the ball to be made so instead it was a coming together of two players, with the collision being parts of the body both players are legally allowed to use.
Sure. And boot into face would be perfectly legal as well. :houllier:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No, that would be dangerous play because you’re not supposed to have your feet that high. Goalkeepers on the other hand have every right to use their hands at head height.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What is the context here. Didn't see the game and no sound so it looks as he is setting up a free kick. However Gapko running in makes it look like he either fielded a long ball or caught a cross(unlikely given the box is clear)

Was this in live play? Ref looks super confused.
Just been looking at this as the whole thing seemed so strange. Could have been a Nani v Spurs moment.

From what I've seen the ref thinks it's a foul. Areola getting fouled as he caught the ball. Ref doesn't blow his whistle but instead signals advantage to West Ham. After Areola gets up he puts the ball down like that as if to take a free kick and the ref stops the game when Gakpo advances.

Referees do often try to give advantage and then end up stopping play to award a free kick if no actual advantage emerges. That does exist as a concept and we've all seen it I'm sure. I've never seen it happen 25 seconds later which is what potentially happened here.

Problem for the ref is that the game didn't restart with a free kick in the end so he can't say he's pulling play back to award one due to no advantage. It would have been a huge stretch anyway after 25 seconds but from a spirit of the game perspective, and as he actually did think it was a foul I could sort of be sold on it if that's what he'd have gone with.

Last edited:

led_scholes

I understand why the penalty against us was given.

I can't understand why the one in the end was not though.

His arm was not on his body. The defender positioned his arm badly, so he left no time to react. That's not Antony's fault. Clear penalty for me.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ridiculous response. What is your response to the point about a defender coming in with their head after the ball has been won? Never seen a penalty given for that? Have any penalties been given similar to Onana this season?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ridiculous response. What is your response to the point about a defender coming in with their head after the ball has been won? Never seen a penalty given for that? Have any penalties been given similar to Onana this season?
I've seen Lloris concede a pen like that but that was for France

Dansk

If there's the slightest indication that something could be a penalty against United, the ref always gives it.

If there's any room at all to question a penalty decision for United, the ref never gives it.

Always, always, always treated as harshly as the rules allow. That's a product of media whose revenue is measured in volume of clicks, so they print whatever gets the most clicks, and that means anything given to United is scrutinized and called into question while anything that goes against United is just handwaved away or even deemed correct when it clearly wasn't. The anti-United angle is what gets the most clicks, so that's what the media will go with. Refs don't want their decisions to be called into question, so they subconsciously choose whatever decision doesn't lead to bad press at their expense. It has had a very obvious impact on the club since SAF retired. It has basically been the ABU revenge tour.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I can't quite believe I have to say this but goalkeepers are not allowed to punch people in the face

FFS :lol: :lol: :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I can't quite believe I have to say this but goalkeepers are not allowed to punch people in the face

Should be renamed the mental gymnastics thread in here.

I did feel United could and probably should have had a pen for handball, maybe the distance was too short or something but the Onana one was 300% a peno.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

If players clash heads do you get all hyperbolic and scream “oh my god he’s headbutted him!”?

Jev

We certainly can’t complain about the Onana one, clear penalty.

I don’t think the handball one is a penalty. The mistake was giving a similar one against us vs Coventry but that doesn’t mean this one should be given either.

I did think the Garnacho one looked a penalty when watching it back. Looked like his leg was simply swept away under him.

GazTheLegend

Should be renamed the mental gymnastics thread in here.

I did feel United could and probably should have had a pen for handball, maybe the distance was too short or something but the Onana one was 300% a peno.
The Onana one was a pen.

Brushed over on the other hand, the handball that was literally given against us in a semi final a week ago - not given today. And a foul on Garnacho as well, the sort City seem to be the only team to get these days, also - not given. It's been an absolute shitshow as far as refereeing decisions against our club is concerned, you can call it mental gymnastics if you want but when its every week we get a decision against us that's then not given for us, and with -clear examples- then I don't see how people can be mocked for starting to feel a bit chagrinned.

Fitchett

If there's the slightest indication that something could be a penalty against United, the ref always gives it.

If there's any room at all to question a penalty decision for United, the ref never gives it.

Always, always, always treated as harshly as the rules allow. That's a product of media whose revenue is measured in volume of clicks, so they print whatever gets the most clicks, and that means anything given to United is scrutinized and called into question while anything that goes against United is just handwaved away or even deemed correct when it clearly wasn't. The anti-United angle is what gets the most clicks, so that's what the media will go with. Refs don't want their decisions to be called into question, so they subconsciously choose whatever decision doesn't lead to bad press at their expense. It has had a very obvious impact on the club since SAF retired. It has basically been the ABU revenge tour.
100% correct sir. United had four strong penalty shouts ignored today, whilst Burnley's "penalty" was so obvious that the on pitch referee initially didn't give it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The Onana one was a pen.

Brushed over on the other hand, the handball that was literally given against us in a semi final a week ago - not given today. And a foul on Garnacho as well, the sort City seem to be the only team to get these days, also - not given. It's been an absolute shitshow as far as refereeing decisions against our club is concerned, you can call it mental gymnastics if you want but when its every week we get a decision against us that's then not given for us, and with -clear examples- then I don't see how people can be mocked for starting to feel a bit chagrinned.
Didn't Pool get relentlessly mocked the year everything went their way? For what its worth I would say you've been on the end of some shockers this season, probably more than anyone in the league but its not every week, that's pure bias, and seeing every 50/50 decision as stonewall. I also agree City have had a lot go for them this season for what its worth.

isn't the fact people are saying todays was a penalty and some of the same folk saying Coventry's was not alone proof of bias and mental gymnastics? They are either both penalties or they are both not? Incompetent officiating aside.

But the inability to view things clearly or objectively by some on here or in the matchday threads, not all, who argued AWB's handball wasn't and todays was, is very clearly mental gymnastics.

Baneofthegame

Onana one is a clear penalty, no where near the ball and he’s wiped him out, in a challenge he didn’t need to make.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I wish Onana would stop twatting opponents in the face.

Also, the incident with Garnacho, any proper clips? Never saw a proper replay of it

GazTheLegend

Didn't Pool get relentlessly mocked the year everything went their way? For what its worth I would say you've been on the end of some shockers this season, probably more than anyone in the league but its not every week, that's pure bias
The thing is it IS EVERY WEEK
I mean literally every week. Every. Week.
I'm only going to go back like the last couple of weeks, which include Coventry and that penalty vs the one today (both correct in my opinion), then the Liverpool game had the extremely weird penalty given for a dive, when Garnacho's today was far more a pen and far more clear cut, and then there's the Chelsea double penalties BOTH of which were soft. That's not going back far is it? You want to add in going back further, the most insane decisions I've ever seen in my life (your lots pen vs us), and Dalot's double yellow/red card vs Liverpool for dissent against a decision that was -wrong-. It's just been an absolutely atrocious season for refereeing, but because it's been in against us and the pundits and most fans simply don't care, it's all glossed over as opposed to the Onana thing!

We're shite, we don't deserve the luck, but it feels like we're just getting fecked every week for insane things and getting nothing

Bobski

100% correct sir. United had four strong penalty shouts ignored today, whilst Burnley's "penalty" was so obvious that the on pitch referee initially didn't give it.
Are we really classifying the blatant dives from Cas and Garnacho as strong penalty shouts while insinuating that that some form of corruption is in play for Onana being penalized for smashing someones face in?

Fecking hell.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Could really do with letting everyone hear what referees are saying during games. It would provide some clarity.

Sadly I think they know all too well that it would expose their incompetence even more.

always_hoping

Chelsea goal disallowed was correct by VAR. Hoddle explaining to Rebecca Lowe what is and isn't a foul was mildly humorous.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Chelsea goal disallowed was correct by VAR. Hoddle explaining to Rebecca Lowe what is and isn't a foul was mildly humorous.
How bad is she? :lol:

Hoddle “it’s a clear foul”

Her “was it enough to stop him playing the ball?”

then her… “but should that rule the goal out?”

Forget woke (whatever that means nowadays)… it’s not about being female, it’s just that some of the presenters/co commentators they’ve parachuted in are AWFUL

E-mal

If players clash heads do you get all hyperbolic and scream “oh my god he’s headbutted him!”?
If you nod a player’s head in the box without getting the ball it is a penalty

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
To award a free kick to Villa is probably the correct call but considering he's looking directly at it you have to wonder what the feck he's doing in the first place, and why he would deem it to be an obvious mistake in the first place, maybe he's just that shit. VAR is supposed to help him out not replace him. A bit frustrating considering the shoving Villa had done earlier in the game that went unpunished (not in like-for-like situations though).

Do miss when you could celebrate goals though, and maybe I have recency bias but games felt less discussed after games before VAR than what they have been after.

Bosws87

The Garnacho one where’s he kicked from behind I’ve watched it loads of times and it’s a bit disorientating cos of the way the legs cross but it looks 99% he boots him straight in the heel. Unless there’s another angle that shows something completely different then it’s seems to be one of the worst decisions.

Withnail

Come on. We didn't have a single strong shout. The strongest was the Garnacho one but the opposition player did get the ball and it was one of those where the onfield decision wasn't going to be overturned either way.

E-mal

Because the idea that you can assemble a team of elite referees who didn’t grow up supporting top flight football teams is fecking ridiculous and if you start allocating them based on who they did and didn’t support the whole system would fall apart. Plus the argument being made by Forest here isn’t even that he supported the team that directly benefited, he supported another team near them in the league. How the feck do you design a system where you take shit like that into account?
I am sure united will not want Oliver officiating our games if we going head to head with Newcastle for the title

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How bad is she? :lol:

Hoddle “it’s a clear foul”

Her “was it enough to stop him playing the ball?”

then her… “but should that rule the goal out?”

Forget woke (whatever that means nowadays)… it’s not about being female, it’s just that some of the presenters/co commentators they’ve parachuted in are AWFUL
To be fair she might be awful but she also might have to fill time. If he says that's a foul and she says "ok" they have 45s to fill before the next adbreak. They just have to make them talk even if it's dumb talk.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's fine for VAR to intervene as long as they are consistent - the fundamental problem is they are entirely random with when they get involved. There is just fundamentally no way anyone who is unbiased can justify VAR intervening on this apparent clear and obvious error despite Pawson looking directly at it from 10-12 meters away when one week ago the ref ignored Grealish blatantly handballing in the wall and apparently DIDN'T EVEN feckING NOTICE THE SHOT WAS DEFLECTED. What is the standard here? If it's "clear and obvious error" then fecking apply it consistently you fecking dipshits

GledTheRed

cnuts have ruined the game, every game k aves you fecking foaming.

We've had the absolute piss taken out of us this season and the manager just takes it when he should be going fecking nuts.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
To be fair she might be awful but she also might have to fill time. If he says that's a foul and she says "ok" they have 45s to fill before the next adbreak. They just have to make them talk even if it's dumb talk.
”Do you think VAR is right to intervene?”

”Could the defender have been a little stronger?”

”Did Chelsea deserve to win over the entire game?”

It’s the fact that a lot of people on TV now seem to have zero idea about football.

That’s why people like Laura Woods … well, one reason :)
It's fine for VAR to intervene as long as they are consistent - the fundamental problem is they are entirely random with when they get involved. There is just fundamentally no way anyone who is unbiased can justify VAR intervening on this apparent clear and obvious error despite Pawson looking directly at it from 10-12 meters away when one week ago the ref ignored Grealish blatantly handballing in the wall and apparently DIDN'T EVEN feckING NOTICE THE SHOT WAS DEFLECTED. What is the standard here? If it's "clear and obvious error" then fecking apply it consistently you fecking dipshits
and THATS the issue.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
If you nod a player’s head in the box without getting the ball it is a penalty
If two players clash heads in the box it’s not automatically a foul in favour of the attacker.

E-mal

If two players clash heads in the box it’s not automatically a foul in favour of the attacker.
But if jump and nod an attacker in the box is a penalty. Onana can’t just keep assaulting opponents.
I will be raging if that is not given to us

Bangor_Red

Motd went through our pen shouts.shearer in 5 seconds says all 3 right. The slalom he initiates contact by sticking his leg out. His heel was clipped,but shearer says dive and should be yellow and handball arm was by his side, and ball is what causes it to come up

Fitchett

Motd went through our pen shouts.shearer in 5 seconds says all 3 right. The slalom he initiates contact by sticking his leg out. His heel was clipped,but shearer says dive and should be yellow and handball arm was by his side, and ball is what causes it to come up
Did you really expect any other comment from that bitter Geordie Abu? I'm sure we had another penalty shout which MOTD ignored.

ManUnitedCanuck

Just been looking at this as the whole thing seemed so strange. Could have been a Nani v Spurs moment.

From what I've seen the ref thinks it's a foul. Areola getting fouled as he caught the ball. Ref doesn't blow his whistle but instead signals advantage to West Ham. After Areola gets up he puts the ball down like that as if to take a free kick and the ref stops the game when Gakpo advances.

Referees do often try to give advantage and then end up stopping play to award a free kick if no actual advantage emerges. That does exist as a concept and we've all seen it I'm sure. I've never seen it happen 25 seconds later which is what potentially happened here.

Problem for the ref is that the game didn't restart with a free kick in the end so he can't say he's pulling play back to award one due to no advantage. It would have been a huge stretch anyway after 25 seconds but from a spirit of the game perspective, and as he actually did think it was a foul I could sort of be sold on it if that's what he'd have gone with.
The strangest part of it all is Taylor walking so far back to get the keeper to lie down and ask for the physio. The player did not request it at all, but Taylor basically forces him to have the physio come on, long after any incident and the player standing on his feet. That was when I really started to think he realized he messed up, so now we must bring on the physio so it looks like we needed to stop play.

Oranges038

That "push" at the end of the Chelsea game is a farce.

Funniest part of the whole thing was the halfling coming out and pushing all the Chelsea players twice his size away from the referee.