VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Players don't dive outside the box much. Sterling would stay on his feet for example if challenge like the one on Saturday if it wasn't near goal.

Holding at corners is almost never enforced. Similar to the Garnacho holding.

If the laws were actually applied to the letter, corners would be near impossible to defend often.

The sport would be totally different. Probably better but we'll likely never know.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I understand what you're getting at, and unfortunately that is often true, however, it is also 100000% wrong. A foul is a foul regardless of where it is. And the foul on Garnacho should have been given regardless of where it happened. That was a stonewall penalty. Had he dropped on his first attempt to run I'd say he was looking for it. But the video clearly shows he is literally held in place and doesn't fall until his 2nd attempt to get away...
It wasn't a stonewall though since it wasn't given, the ref didn't think so. Some ex players didn't think so either so there is a room for debate I'd say.
The law is never applied the same way everywhere on the pitch

RedRJ

That's a lie.
Maybe only after the Arsenal game from EtH but never from our club.
You may well be right, but equally, MU may have privately contacted PGMOL and asked for an explanation of certain decisions. Sadly, maybe we need to react like Arteta and Klopp to get anyone to pay attention to our grievances.

RedRJ

Haha…brilliant.

It’s car crash tv this show. We’re now paying ex refs mass amounts of money to be a pundit…a bias pundit that supports his fellow ref at every opportunity.
I have to wonder what Sky make of his performance on this show - why would you want to pay money for someone to always back-up the referee's decision, even when it is demonstrably wrong? You'd be as well saving the money and replacing Gallagher with some AI generated talking head constantly repeating the phrase "I agree with the ref". If they're happy with his performance, then I can only assume that they're trolling the viewers.

FerociousCorgis

id be more curious to hear an explanation on the incredibly sudden rise of giving 2 yellows for dissent in the Dalot situation followed by the incredibly quick disappearance of players getting a second yellow for dissent. Wont happen though obviously.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
id be more curious to hear an explanation on the incredibly sudden rise of giving 2 yellows for dissent in the Dalot situation followed by the incredibly quick disappearance of players getting a second yellow for dissent. Wont happen though obviously.
One of the most controversial and talked about decisions of the last few weeks and it’s not even mentioned.

RedRocket9908

Howard Webb also thinks this handball was correctly given as a penalty for City despite the fact that is closer in proximity than ours against Spurs that apparentlty wasnt a penalty due to the proximity

90 + 5min

Howard Webb also thinks this handball was correctly given as a penalty for City despite the fact that is closer in proximity than ours against Spurs that apparentlty wasnt a penalty due to the proximity

They have no clue what they are doing. Rules are all over the place and it is just about guessing. Unless you play for ManUtd. Than it is pretty much often against the team. We have lost about 12-15 points because of strange decisions only this year.

Do they never learn from misstakes or is it just a mentality that they are always right. Listning to former referees they are in most cases always in agreement with referees even if it is shocking decisions.

Fitchett

Funny how Howard Webb never discusses bad decisions that went against United. We haven't had one example of him saying that we were badly done by. The South Yorkshire Pep Guardiola is my idol.

SuperiorXI

The problem is they're setting precedents every week which they then break shortly after. Sometimes the same game day. This will always be a problem until you have some kind of AI reffing system which is always consistent in its decision making.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I might have known he wouldnt think Garnacho should have had a penalty

What is the point of him being on the show every time? I don't think I've ever seen him once disagree with a decision. That's impressive; agreeing every time with every decision made by different refs who have different interpretations of the rules - sometimes even in the same match.

This stuff doesn't protect referees. If anything it just puts up another brick wall that sows dissent in the everyday punter like myself. If Dermot actually had the balls to be honest and sometimes say "actually, that doesn't feel like the right decision to me" then more people would realise that refs are just humans doing a tough job, and they'd probably be less likely to treat them like pantomime villains that are there to hurl abuse at.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It wasn't a stonewall though since it wasn't given, the ref didn't think so. Some ex players didn't think so either so there is a room for debate I'd say.
The law is never applied the same way everywhere on the pitch
There is no debate. Anyone who says it wasn't a penalty is either being biased, trying not to be seen as being biased, or an idiot.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Here it is, Howard Webb says it should have been a penalty.

Wrong outcome ultimately and not helped by the camera angle by the goal, but for once I'm encouraged by how they reviewed the incident. Insisting on real-time was a big positive we've not really seen much evidence of to date. And then clearly some recognition that not every ball to hand is deliberate or a penalty, which is refreshing given the volume of nonsense penalties that are given as handballs in recent months.

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
This is pretty funny but outrageous cheating by Toney. Never would have expected this behaviour from him.

Why don't VAR intervene for something like this?

https://dubz.live/mc/ea3cb7
It makes it even more funny when done within the first 20 minutes of his comeback from a lengthy ban for breaking rules.

Please top it with "Ivan Toney caught for betting on himself to score a direct free kick vs. Forest" as breaking news tomorrow morning.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Thoughts on the second Arsenal goal? Certainly appeared the Arsenal player, think commentary said Ben White, made no attempt to play the ball and appeared to further push into the keeper. Not sure what the keeper is to do in that situation, maybe bowl the opposing player over?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Thoughts on the second Arsenal goal? Certainly appeared the Arsenal player, think commentary said Ben White, made no attempt to play the ball and appeared to further push into the keeper. Not sure what the keeper is to do in that situation, maybe bowl the opposing player over?
White is notorious for doing this sort of things on corners, it's pretty much his role to disturb the keeper. He has overdone it a few times and got some goals rightly ruled out.
But i think today would have been extremely soft. He's not doing much, Henderson was weak and should be pushing him around.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought that was a clear foul. It's one thing if White is just standing there, but he was leaning in on the keeper. If that's not goal tender inteference then I don't know what is

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How on earth has VAR not picked up on this!?
It's the Forest players fault. There is 10 of them who can see what he was doing but none of them were paying attention to him. He is literally the only dangerous player on the pitch at that moment and they're just looking around dozily.

One of them should be running up to put the ball back where it was and if the ref says anything tell him to check VAR.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's the Forest players fault. There is 10 of them who can see what he was doing but none of them were paying attention to him. He is literally the only dangerous player on the pitch at that moment and they're just looking around dozily.

One of them should be running up to put the ball back where it was and if the ref says anything tell him to check VAR.
Not really. VAR shouldn't need opposition player or on pitch referee intervention to pick things like that up. It's once again shocking utilisation of the system.

RedRocket9908

If an opposition player had have run over and moved the ball he would have been yellow carded and if he had then told the ref to check VAR he probably would have been shown another yellow.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Sure, players telling refs they’ve got something wrong always works out well.

Blaming the opposition players for the refs not doing their jobs is quite a take.

Fr. Todd Unctious

I'm now onvinced the current crop of EPL refs are just incompetent when it comes to V.A.R. No other refs in Europe nor else where are having as many controversies, inconsistencies and blatant gaffes as them!

Have been saying from day one the issues are the officials rather than VAR. To the best of my knowledge there's nowhere near the level of controverisal decisions in other European Leagues that use VAR

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Sure, players telling refs they’ve got something wrong always works out well.

Blaming the opposition players for the refs not doing their jobs is quite a take.
They always check VAR when they get surrounded or players are outraged. Acting like they don't is just being wilfully obtuse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm now onvinced the current crop of EPL refs are just incompetent when it comes to V.A.R. No other refs in Europe nor else where are having as many controversies, inconsistencies and blatant gaffes as them!
Have been saying from day one the issues are the officials rather than VAR. To the best of my knowledge there's nowhere near the level of controverisal decisions in other European Leagues that use VAR
Nah, there are VAR controversies every weekend, in every major league. It’s baked into the way it works. Trying to interpret grey areas, in super slo mo, while under incredible pressure to make a quick decision.