VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

witchtrials

The drama of the game comes from Pogba doing a silly celebration? As opposed to the actual effect the goal has on the game? Hmmm.
In a small part, yes. But the larger point is that if Pogba is waiting around for the outcome of a potential VAR intervention then you can bet that that's how the fans at the ground are experiencing it as well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well you're welcome to love VAR but you can't force others to ignore the facts of how it affects the game.
What facts? The facts are that no one knew whether the ball crossed the line or not and that it was only determined with a couple of seconds delay, by goal line technology, not by VAR.

I couldn't care less if VAR ruins the flow for 1 minute of every game if it stops some of the horrendous refereeing errors we regularly see. And that's all it is, 1 or 2 minutes max in a game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In a small part, yes. But the larger point is that if Pogba is waiting around for the outcome of a potential VAR intervention then you can bet that that's how the fans at the ground are experiencing it as well.
Yet I still saw fans celebrating like lunatics.

The potential for a goal to be overturned doesn't rob the game of any drama, at worst it just changes the rythym of it. Something fans will get used to. The actual drama comes from the effect a goal has, which doesn't change.

witchtrials

What facts? The facts are that no one knew whether the ball crossed the line or not and that it was only determined with a couple of seconds delay, by goal line technology, not by VAR.
Ah, I see - the problem is that you didn't read my post and are arguing with something I didn't say. The goal was indeed awarded almost immediately using the very effective wristband system, but after that Pogba was watching the big screen waiting to see if the goal would be cancelled out for some other reason involving VAR.

witchtrials

The potential for a goal to be overturned doesn't rob the game of any drama, at worst it just changes the rythym of it. Something fans will get used to. The actual drama comes from the effect a goal has, which doesn't change.
Hmm, can't agree with that - the drama derives from the way that events unfold, not just from the final decision that is taken.

Flying_Heckfish

Only thing I don’t get with VAR is why does the ref have to go over to the screen on the side of the pitch to check the incident? Can’t the fellas in the VAR room who are constantly assessing the game just give a snappy call over a headset for which the referee will have to trust their professional judgement?

Takes too long sometimes.
Agreed, when we were all discussing this in the past, I always imagined the guys in the box would be telling the referee on the pitch their decision. By the time the ref even makes it to the screen, those guys will have seen every angle at least once.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The penalty Griezmann won via VAR was correct. I'd certainly want it given if a Socceroos player went down in that situation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ah, I see - the problem is that you didn't read my post and are arguing with something I didn't say. The goal was indeed awarded almost immediately using the very effective wristband system, but after that Pogba was watching the big screen waiting to see if the goal would be cancelled out for some other reason involving VAR.
So cancel VAR because Pogba looked up?

El Zoido

Phil Neville doesn't like VAR.

So we can all be satisfied that it's a good thing.
How can you watch today’s game and say you don’t like it? It’s ensured the result was correct and justice has been done.

Minimalist

How can you watch today’s game and say you don’t like it? It’s ensured the result was correct and justice has been done.
Phil Neville thinks the penalty was 100% wrong.

So it was 100% right by common sense.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Imagine Pogba scoring a goal, doing his dab dance shit, brazilions of young Frenchmen doing their dab dance around the world, tears of joy and excitement, all of that just to be overruled seconds later by disgusting 'technology'. Tears of joy turn into tears of despair and suffering, collective 'fils de pute' heard from council houses all around Manchester, somewhere in Saint-Denis Jean Pierre breaks his baguette in half, cursing the world, promising his ancestors never to watch what once has been a beautiful escape from tormenting visions of Vichy again.

Not sure how anybody can say VAR's a good thing, you guys are worse than Hitler.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Say what you will, that was another very weak pen. Griezmann had hade up his mind to fall just like Ronaldo.

Hansa

The referee knows the rule book inside out. They're probably having regular meet-ups in the preparation for the World Cup where rules, decisions and hypothetical situations are dissected. He gets the benefit of watching replays from multiple angles, and sees a clear foul (I didn't think it was a penalty at first, but the replays clearly showed why the ref gave it). And yet, some people still argue that a horrible decision has been made, mostly based on old-school misconceptions about 'getting a touch' on the ball first.

Yagami

Good post resistant
VAR hasn't screwed United over yet so, as it stands, I'm fine with it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Anyone arguing is basically arguing in favor of incorrect decisions in favor of more drama. The right decision was made, it didnt take long, maybe 30 seconds to a minute when the ball went out for a throw in. What the feck do people want? Teams knocked out because of incorrect decisions? Feck that

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are aware of the concept of an example?
An example of what? Players who aren't used to this version of VAR who score a goal where they aren't even sure whether the ball crossed a line (probably) looking at the Video screen?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought that was a penalty. For my money the Costa foul on Pepe is still the most controversial decision VAR has made so far.

I think a large part of the problem with VAR is that a lot of fans and pundits aren't actually all that clear on the rules of the game. If you think back to the Mata offside goal, a lot of people didn't know what constitutes an offside. With the penalty shouts today and yesterday, there seems to be confusion as to when something is a penalty or not.

They could do with issuing an explanation for decisions to help clarify things.

Say what you will, that was another very weak pen. Griezmann had hade up his mind to fall just like Ronaldo.
A weak penalty is a penalty.

Ronaldo's penalty yesterday was clear cut.

bosnian_red

Ronaldo's was a blatant pen. Griezmanns was a blatant pen. How anyone can say otherwise is mind boggling. If it wasnt called itd be an outrage. He slid into the back of griezmanns leg and tripped him, its stonewall. Ronaldo's yesterday, he dribbled past, nacho stuck a leg out and tripped him. Again, stonewall, the only controversy is people refusing to admit just because they're resisting change and the introduction of VAR.

witchtrials

An example of what? Players who aren't used to this version of VAR who score a goal where they aren't even sure whether the ball crossed a line (probably) looking at the Video screen?
No, an example of the goal being awarded by existing goal line technology, then - even for an uncontroversial goal - waiting and watching the big screen just to check that there is no cause to review it for other reasons. The opposite of what you're saying really, since my issue is that the more players do get used to the system, the more they are aware that the referee's decision is now totally provisional.

arnie_ni

Think the decision for the French penalty was wrong. The defender got a touch on the ball before following through Griezmann.

The issue I had with the penalty decision were the angles of the reply the ref was given. In that kind of scenario, you would hope a birds eye view of the tackle was shown instead of a low angle across the floor. The ref can only make a decision based on the evidence he has in front of him.
You dont see what the ref sees, so how do you know what angles he seen?

Hephaestus

Don't like that. If you were to look at the clip in isolation, I'd probably say it was a pen. But I don't think it was "clear and obvious".

Still not sure how Costa's first yesterday was allowed, that one seemed much more obvious than this.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ronaldo's was a blatant pen. Griezmanns was a blatant pen. How anyone can say otherwise is mind boggling. If it wasnt called itd be an outrage. He slid into the back of griezmanns leg and tripped him, its stonewall. Ronaldo's yesterday, he dribbled past, nacho stuck a leg out and tripped him. Again, stonewall, the only controversy is people refusing to admit just because they're resisting change and the introduction of VAR.
I never once spoke out against VAR :lol:
I'm against awarding bullshit pens for star players out of favoritism.

arnie_ni

Don't like that. If you were to look at the clip in isolation, I'd probably say it was a pen. But I don't think it was "clear and obvious".

Still not sure how Costa's first yesterday was allowed, that one seemed much more obvious than this.
It doesnt say "clear and obvious" in Fifas rules apparently. Its supposedly made up by pundits

bosnian_red

I never once spoke out against VAR :lol:
I'm against awarding bullshit pens for star players out of favoritism.
But they're both absolutely correct penalties? If they happened to some random from Saudi Arabia, it'd still be blatant.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The foul on Pepe?

Agree. If we're criticising VAR for something then that's the incident I'd look to. Whether this penalty was "clear and obvious" or not, the end result was at least correct imo.