Varane to Saudi league?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You’re right. In a way, all we can really do is laugh about the direction the club is going. Losing two multi-time CL winners won’t mean a thing when our squad has already shown us they are leaders and can be relied upon.

Anyway, let’s hope we can manage to beat Luton at home today and, fingers crossed, avoid our 10th defeat of the season :drool:

Castia

Top player but might be time to cash in. His injuries are a concern and he turns 31before the end of the season.

Use the money on a younger defender. Silva at Benfica and Scalvini from Atalanta are massive talents

Rojofiam

You’re right. In a way, all we can really do is laugh about the direction the club is going. Losing two multi-time CL winners won’t mean a thing when our squad has already shown us they are leaders and can be relied upon.

Anyway, let’s hope we can manage to beat Luton at home today and, fingers crossed, avoid our 10th defeat of the season :drool:
Varane is 31 in April. Frequently injured. Not as good defensively as he used to be. Never was good enough with the ball and in the build-up. We are giving him 340k per week.

But "he's a winner"...

Random question: Do you follow MikeLUHG on Twitter? :lol:

redcucumber

Very disappointing career here. He came here at 29 having won the lot. Expected a hell of a lot more.

Maluco

Varane is 31 in April. Frequently injured. Not as good defensively as he used to be. Never was good enough with the ball and in the build-up. We are giving him 340k per week.

But "he's a winner"...

Random question: Do you follow MikeLUHG on Twitter? :lol:
31 is no age for a center back, his injury problems started at United because of our poor coaching (like so many other examples under ETH). He has been world class for years and, yeah, having proven winners in the squad is vital. No need to quote it, it’s invaluable.

I don’t have Twitter, and don’t need it to see the direction we are going in. We are starting Evans and Maguire. That is where the laughing emoji should come in.

flappyjay

31 is no age for a center back, his injury problems started at United because of our poor coaching (like so many other examples under ETH). He has been world class for years and, yeah, having proven winners in the squad is vital. No need to quote it, it’s invaluable.

I don’t have Twitter, and don’t need it to see the direction we are going in. We are starting Evans and Maguire. That is where the laughing emoji should come in.
He has been injury prone since his Madrid days

Rojofiam

Varane's always had problems with injuries. I remember a lot of posters on RedCafe voice their concerns about it when we were about to sign him.

He also isn't world class anymore, albeit still a good defender.

He's a good player that can and should be upgraded on in the future. If the Saudis do us a favour and we can get his wages off our books and also receive a good fee for him, we need to take it sign a younger, better ball-player defender.

Maluco

He has been injury prone since his Madrid days
Not true. He missed under 16% of games over a 10 year spell.

The issue is that our coaching and player management is terrible. He is a rolls royce of a player that should be managed accordingly.

We just start the season unfit and then run the players into the ground.

It’s the same with Casemiro. Building a midfield to make him run more at 31, rather than less. Ten Hag is getting very basic stuff completely wrong. If we make decisions based on him as the coach, we are only going one way.

The next incumbent will have a worse squad with not a winner in sight.

Maluco

Varane's always had problems with injuries. I remember a lot of posters on RedCafe voice their concerns about it when we were about to sign him.

He also isn't world class anymore, albeit still a good defender.

He's a good player that can and should be upgraded on in the future. If the Saudis do us a favour and we can get his wages off our books and also receive a good fee for him, we need to take it sign a younger, better ball-player defender.
As stated above, he wasn’t injury prone at Madrid. He is missing so many games at United for the same reason the players always look so tired and lethargic and keep picking up injuries. Our fitness and coaching just isn’t up to the required standard.

He is quality and could have played a key role as a proper leader in a new era. We need proper players to set the standard at a club like United. Players who know what it takes to win.

We should be at the stage where we are replacing the likes of Rashford and Bruno in the first eleven. As it stands, they are our best players. The fact that they would be undisputed dressing room leaders is depressing.

Take away Varane and Casemiro and our squad looks incredibly shit. We are in trouble.

Rojofiam

As stated above, he wasn’t injury prone at Madrid. He is missing so many games at United for the same reason the players always look so tired and lethargic and keep picking up injuries. Our fitness and coaching just isn’t up to the required standard.

He is quality and could have played a key role as a proper leader in a new era. We need proper players to set the standard at a club like United. Players who know what it takes to win.

We should be at the stage where we are replacing the likes of Rashford and Bruno in the first eleven. As it stands, they are our best players. The fact that they would be undisputed dressing room leaders is depressing.

Take away Varane and Casemiro and our squad looks incredibly shit. We are in trouble.
Varane is good but not even top 5 CB in the Prem even defensively. No point in having Martínez and Shaw on the left, two great build-up players with excellent press-resistance, if we're gonna have Varane + AWB/Dalot and struggle to build out from the right side of the defence.

Varane would be a good bench option but I'd rather keep Maguire over him since the latter earns only 190k. Varane being one of the highest earners in the whole league is unwarranted and I'd rather he left the club next summer.

MikeD3m

My exact thoughts when I saw the lineup today, we need 2 good defenders ASAP. Evans can stay as backup but we should sell Harry(his value probably spiked up recently and he's not a good fit for highline defence) and since Varane is likely going we need one in January provided Rapha leaves and one in the summer when Harry goes. I think we'll buy Todibo in the winter window cuz of the Sir Jim connection and then in the summer we should get one of Goncalo Inacio or Antonio Silva, i would opt for the latter cuz I believe his ceiling and ballplaying ability are higher. If we can sign permanently Reguilon then we are very well covered at cb.Lisandro,Silva,Todibo,Shaw,Lindelof,Evans.

Maluco

Varane is good but not even top 5 CB in the Prem even defensively. No point in having Martínez and Shaw on the left, two great build-up players with excellent press-resistance, if we're gonna have Varane + AWB/Dalot and struggle to build out from the right side of the defence.

Varane would be a good bench option but I'd rather keep Maguire over him since the latter earns only 190k. Varane being one of the highest earners in the whole league is unwarranted and I'd rather he left the club next summer.
You are underrating him massively. The fact that Lindelof, Maguire and McTominey are starting today, tells you everything about where we are going with decisions like this.

It’s wrong, and we shouldn’t be letting Ten Hag make anymore mistakes.

Zora

I’ll drive him there myself. Can’t stay fit for more than 2 games.

I would clear out all of these duds who are way past their best. RV, Casemiro, McTomato all need fecking off.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I honestly don't remember him having a good first season at all, i might be wrong. I just remember him seeming to be injured a lot and making a few mistakes when he was fit.

The big turning point for me was last season when we beat Liverpool at OT and he just commanded the defence and dominated. He had a very strong season.

Seems to have gone back to injured/shite again now. It's amazing how our players can never seemingly put in two good seasons in a row.
Yep, first season he was distinctly average. Sure he had some good matches, but he had just as many poor matches and mostly he was just average.

Second season he was a lot better, but even that I think is largely overrated. He was good, but he still had too many poor matches and too many injuries to say he was great.

The Urban Goose

I agree with everyone saying "get rid", and take Casemiro with him.

Hopefully the club will have finally learned that buying Madrid's high mileage old bangers on massive wages is not what we need. We need to revert to the Fergie recipe of young, hungry talents who we can then sell when they're just tipping over their peak, not be the retirement home for "superstars".

For anyone who watches his YouTube channel, we're like the football club version of Matt from High Peak Autos.

Wing Attack Plan R

He was so good when he arrived. Injuries and a nagging feeling he's not up for the challenge have dogged his time here. If we get a decent fee it's probably the right time.

Its a sad end, I was desperate for us to sign him a decade ago when he went to Madrid instead. As good as Rio on his day.
Add him to the list that includes Schweinsteiger, and probably Casemiro too: players who only had a handful of games with United in their best form before a rapid decline. We need to move on from this habit of signing players on their last legs. Eriksen on a free was the exception. When we do sign players of this profile it should be appearances based and on a free, and barring that, a rolling 1 year contract.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I like him, he always delivers good level of performance, but obviously we should be looking to move him on if we ever get a chance. Might sound controversial but I never thought CBs are high on our list of biggest problems.

Todd

Always liked Varane, and happy that he came to United. But if a decent offer from the Saudis come in January it's probably the right move for all parties involved at this point.

Someone

Something
He was class last season, and I have no issues with Varane other than his injuries. He's one of the few truly world class players in the squad.

I'd only sell him in the summer, because any money available in Jan should be put towards signing forwards that can score goals.

RoyH1

We better bring someone else in then if he's to go. We're not exactly stacked at the position now are we?

Red00012

Wait until Maguire / Lindelof feck up and Varane steps in and everything will be ok again

Devil81

To be honest if the Saudi sides came in we'd be crazy not to cash in as both these players are on a decline. Madrid knew full well about Varane's injury issues and they also knew full well the lack of mobility of Casemiro would get even worse the older he got.

We've got to be better in the market, big clubs only sell when they know a player is either declining or trouble.

saivet

Should have prepared properly for the inevitable. I think both staying was fine and the right decision but we should have been looking at a DM to replace Casemiro in the summer (as back up / competition for this season). The same could be said for Varane, we could have forced Maguire out and brought in a new younger CB as back / competition for Varane, that way the transition of letting the two of them go isn't as big.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Extremely annoying to happen right now. If they go in January there’s no way we sign realistically good enough replacements

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There are a few highly talented CBs around. If we play this smart, we could be better off and with someone much more reliable.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There are a few highly talented CBs around. If we play this smart, we could be better off and with someone much more reliable.
I think if we can actually shift him, it will be extremely easy to improve. We have an interest in Tobido and there are other talented youngsters who just need to be fit and on considerably less, in order to improve us.

cyberman

We’ve obviously got Tobido lined up and he’s the injury prone, under performing 31 year old on massive wages.

Dosse

No need to panick. The club wont sell themselfes into oblivion. Im sure 1 or 2 will stay until next summer, dependant on aviable replacements.

Laurencio

So what we're just going to sell them mid season with no time to replace them properly? Rely on whatever we can cobble together in the January window?

This is such a fecking mess and it's on ETH that he had an entire summer with them and didn't think they were busts who needed replacing.
Only way it makes any sense is if Saudis are offering insane money.

justsomebloke

How on earth did we end up in a place where Jonny Evans is a regular and Raphael Varane is on his way out, if that is indeed the case? I know about the left-footed LB preference and all that, but surely there's a bigger picture here. Involving such things as Varane being a top level CB when he's healthy, and Jonny Evans most definitely not being that. Frankly, if where EtH is taking us requires playing Evans and benching Varane, then I'm not sure I have confidence in where he's taking us.

Also, why the feck is lots of people now talking about Varane as if he's been a failure? He hasn't - he's mostly been great, save for the injury problems.

Stadjer

Ignoring the major injury crisis because that will hopefully end sooner than later.

Maguire, Lindelof, Martinez, Evans and even Shaw should be enough options to play at CB. If there is a very good offer to sell the very injury prone and getting up there in age Raphael Varane, i might take it. I would atleast consider it. We could use the money and there is no guarentee that the option to sell Varane for good money will ever return.

Yes Varane can still be very good (although he isnt really showing it this season) but if he isnt available for games where he could make a huge difference compared to the other defenders then what is the point.

Maguire wasnt really seen as an option at the start of the season but he returned to being a decent Premier League defender. Lindelof isnt the best but also not as bad as some like to make him out to be. Martinez will be the starting LCB and Evans actually has done better than expected. If Malacia ever returns and Reguilon is fit than Luke Shaw becomes an option to play as CB too. If AWB is fit, Dalot becomes an option to play LB too.

Herman Toothrot

Are we to believe Mail sport?
It's a case of adding two and two and possibly getting four. Varane isn't currently getting games and Ratcliffe, rightly, questioned United's transfer policy of buying ageing players on huge wages. That doesn't necessarily mean that Varane won't be back when Martinez is fit to partner him, nor does it mean that a future transfer policy that wouldn't have signed Casemiro mean we'll sell what we already have. However, I don't see either the players or club turning down a silly offer.