Varchester City 18/19 discussion

Andersons Dietician

Yep I’ve seen the trailer. Looks like yet another manufactured nugget of the most expensive vanity project in professional sports. The entire idea is a nauseating propaganda tool that top managers of years gone by would have booted into oblivion. Found the 90 second trailer so cringeworthy that not even morbid curiosity could make me watch any more.

This is football for the streaming generation
Riiiiiiight..... bye now.

Seven Seas Sardines

Would be incredible if he didn't come back until mid-November, after the derby on the 11th. However, they've got an easy ride until until then except for two away games to Liverpool and Tottenham in October. Could mean that the only game where they lose points without him would be against the scouse. :(

Reddy Rederson

Yep I’ve seen the trailer. Looks like yet another manufactured nugget of the most expensive vanity project in professional sports. The entire idea is a nauseating propaganda tool that top managers of years gone by would have booted into oblivion. Found the 90 second trailer so cringeworthy that not even morbid curiosity could make me watch any more.

This is football for the streaming generation
It’s worse than that, it’s a “city project” to further distance themselves from where the money is coming from. The doc might as well have been called “look at the shiny, shiny”. The city PR campaign is desperate to stop people talking about the human rights abuses that fund the mega stars. Or the cattle proding of former business partners.

This is only the latest example of their PR assault to paint the city franchise as the makings of a footballing empire. The finically times and the guardian having rather long winded articles on why city are so amazing without really digging too deep. There’s no mention of the threads against journalists access to the club and it’s players if they dare to link negative Abu Dhabi news coverage. The men running city are not the right hand man of Mansour, but of the crown prince. That guy with with the cattle prod. And there’s simon Pearce. A PR man who is best described as evils pr man, and he works very very hard to make city look above board. So far he’s put a face on city that seems a nice unassuming businessman, and he’s flooding the media with puff pieces. Makes you wonder what’s next.

It’s a shame that the council have taken the approach to “take the money” from Abu Dhabi which really sullys the good name and reputation of Manchester. A city who’s workers refused to touch cotton picked by slaves in America, even though it cost them. City fans might be happy with winning at the moment, but what their club might end up being will pour cold water on that soon enough.

SER19

It’s worse than that, it’s a “city project” to further distance themselves from where the money is coming from. The doc might as well have been called “look at the shiny, shiny”. The city PR campaign is desperate to stop people talking about the human rights abuses that fund the mega stars. Or the cattle proding of former business partners.

This is only the latest example of their PR assault to paint the city franchise as the makings of a footballing empire. The finically times and the guardian having rather long winded articles on why city are so amazing without really digging too deep. There’s no mention of the threads against journalists access to the club and it’s players if they dare to link negative Abu Dhabi news coverage. The men running city are not the right hand man of Mansour, but of the crown prince. That guy with with the cattle prod. And there’s simon Pearce. A PR man who is best described as evils pr man, and he works very very hard to make city look above board. So far he’s put a face on city that seems a nice unassuming businessman, and he’s flooding the media with puff pieces. Makes you wonder what’s next.

It’s a shame that the council have taken the approach to “take the money” from Abu Dhabi which really sullys the good name and reputation of Manchester. A city who’s workers refused to touch cotton picked by slaves in America, even though it cost them. City fans might be happy with winning at the moment, but what their club might end up being will pour cold water on that soon enough.
Youre spot on. Ive just read that at one point they describe the upcoming united game as some sort of purist white knights versus, quote, 'park the bus' football. I wonder if they go to lengths to deride the style of other sides that set up defensively versus their 1bn project or is just united? :lol: an embarrassing transparent propoganda tool to try soften their image in foreign fanbases and pull the wool over the eyes of people who are happy to be tricked.

Red Star One

Resident City fans - what do you think Pep will do with Bernardo over the next weeks? Will he start majority of games and if so, any chance he gets to play on the wing? He looked much better when he moved there last game and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing quite a lot in the upcoming days. Any expected line ups for the Huddersfield game?

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Resident City fans - what do you think Pep will do with Bernardo over the next weeks? Will he start majority of games and if so, any chance he gets to play on the wing? He looked much better when he moved there last game and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing quite a lot in the upcoming days. Any expected line ups for the Huddersfield game?
We're going to have to be very flexible without De Bruyne. It's going to be really interesting to watch how we go about it. I wouldn't read too much into him looking better when he moved out wide on Sunday, though. We focused all of our play to the wings because we knew that Arsenal were going to try and be compact in the middle and it worked.

I actually expect to see a lot of switches in games for the next couple of months. Should imagine we'll see Sterling off the front man regularly and we also have the option of Mahrez through the middle too. If anything, it's going to make it a little tougher for opponents to prepare to face us because we have a few different ways of playing and everything isn't going to be focused through De Bruyne. We'll definitely lose a bit of potency on the counter though as that's where De Bruyne is at his very best.

Sunday's line up very much depends on David Silva's availability. I'd expect it to be very similar to the lineup we saw for the Arsenal game though

Red Star One

We're going to have to be very flexible without De Bruyne. It's going to be really interesting to watch how we go about it. I wouldn't read too much into him looking better when he moved out wide on Sunday, though. We focused all of our play to the wings because we knew that Arsenal were going to try and be compact in the middle and it worked.

I actually expect to see a lot of switches in games for the next couple of months. Should imagine we'll see Sterling off the front man regularly and we also have the option of Mahrez through the middle too. If anything, it's going to make it a little tougher for opponents to prepare to face us because we have a few different ways of playing and everything isn't going to be focused through De Bruyne. We'll definitely lose a bit of potency on the counter though as that's where De Bruyne is at his very best.

Sunday's line up very much depends on David Silva's availability. I'd expect it to be very similar to the lineup we saw for the Arsenal game though
Cheers. Any idea when David Silva is expected to be back?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Think he'll play through the middle. Pep has already said David Silva will be on reduced game time this season and now with KDB out, I think he'll make up a midfield 3 with Fernandinho and Gundogan. Can't see him play ahead of both Sterling and Mahrez on the right and he's not great from the left.

redchamp

Proud to support United rather than that lot. Their desperation to overtake and overthrow us has seen them throw many principles any decent person would have straight out of the window. We will be on the right side of history in due course.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Proud to support United rather than that lot. Their desperation to overtake and overthrow us has seen them throw many principles any decent person would have straight out of the window. We will be on the right side of history in due course.
:lol: Its football for christ sake. You'd swear we were Nazi Germany with the shite on this page of the thread.
And what principles is it that we've thrown away? Being bought by Abu Dhabi?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
All or nothing is available now

Pep swears loads which for some reason surprises me

keener

DeBruyne's injury is certainly the first crack in the dam. They have depth to handle this injury but IMO he's their most important player. They're not the same without him but maybe still better than everyone.

Hoof the ball

City's team is somehow better than the sum of its parts, and the parts are extraordinary, so, a De Bruyne absence probably would have some effect, but the system itself is efficient enough to slot in Bernardo and operate almost at that same level anyway. If he's going to be out for a couple of months then I hope that invigorates us to start the season taking as many points in the process.

Seven Seas Sardines

I was sad to see they have lots of easy games during his lay-off, however there could be a few potential slips in there. No one more important than de Bruyne chasing a goal against a parked bus.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Saw the first episode not a bad watch at all.
Pep is really intense.

Neo_Mufc

I've just watched the first episode. Not a bad watch.

It's quite interesting watching things you would not normally see outside of a football pitch.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Amazing really, as a football fan more than a City fan. You can see why Pep is a great coach, so focussed. Makes you question how do you evolve from here?

liamp

Kind of wish we had done this. As a Dallas Cowboys fan it's fascinating seeing this for your own team.

Kompany's an incredible servant to that club

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Watched the first episode and it’s us getting thumped 5-0. :(

I love seeing how a manager like Guardiola works though, and what goes on behind the scenes. He really is a fantastic coach.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Pep is really something else, so damn intense and involved in his team.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
DeBruyne's injury is certainly the first crack in the dam. They have depth to handle this injury but IMO he's their most important player. They're not the same without him but maybe still better than everyone.
Football analysts and pundits already have analysis material if City fail this season.

redchamp

:lol: Its football for christ sake. You'd swear we were Nazi Germany with the shite on this page of the thread.
And what principles is it that we've thrown away? Being bought by Abu Dhabi?
Yeah it's just football mate. Forget the underlying source of your wealth and the kind of people you're in bed with, cos y'know City are playing pretty football so who cares, right? :rolleyes:

Go watch your sanitised documentary of City, I'm sure you'd lap it right up

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Remember when Guardiola was vastly overrated and would fail in the PL?

Remember when La Liga was shit and only in Spain could teams get 100 points?

Last season must have been great for the EPL fanboys on here and elsewhere! :lol:

Anyway City clearly the team to beat, seems that kn*b Klopp and his Liverpool are the media darlings this season and are going to compete for the title, when did the last win it again? Both overrated.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Watched the first episode and it’s us getting thumped 5-0. :(

I love seeing how a manager like Guardiola works though, and what goes on behind the scenes. He really is a fantastic coach.
Wait till episode 7 I've heard it's really good.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Apparently Chelsea turned down Amazon's offer to do one of these as well last season.

With all the shit that went down at Stamford Bridge last season, that would've been amazing.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah it's just football mate. Forget the underlying source of your wealth and the kind of people you're in bed with, cos y'know City are playing pretty football so who cares, right? :rolleyes:

Go watch your sanitised documentary of City, I'm sure you'd lap it right up
You do know United have been in bed with Saudi Telecom for donkey's years right? Your longest running international partnership... wheres your posts about that. You probably don't because you're another person who knows nothing about you own clubs business and spends all your time obsessing about City.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...d-agree-strategic-partnership-in-saudi-arabia

Here's a quote:
"The club has a long-standing relationship with Saudi Arabia and has over five million passionate fans in the region.

"Our partnership with Saudi Telecom is the longest running of all our commercial partners.

Oh and theres... that other company of righteousness:
http://gulfoil.co.uk/gulf-sport/manchester-united/

But wait theres more: Commercial bank of Qatar? Never, would United associate with...
Oh wait: https://www.manutd.com/en/partners/financial/commercial-bank-of-qatar

Cry me a river and have a good day.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
You do know United have been in bed with Saudi Telecom for donkey's years right? Your longest running international partnership... wheres your posts about that.
Cry me a river.
Ah yes, that one sponsorship that is bankrolling our entire club and all the success that the one partner has yielded. Absolutely the same thing!