Varchester City 18/19 discussion

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Watched half the episodes so far and must say I don't get the hype. Barring a few PE teacher-like team talks there's little real behind the scenes dressing room insight. Must be cool for City fans though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ah yes, that one sponsorship that is bankrolling our entire club and all the success that the one partner has yielded. Absolutely the same thing!
We'll add Commercial bank of Qatar, and Gulf Oil too.

Oh I see, this is a human rights thing not financial according to you guys.

So you can get in bed with these so called "monsters" as long as they don't overpay you right?
It's ok to be sponsored by and promote their brands but its not ok to be owned by them right?
Because for all the crying you do about human rights abuse, its about the fact we get more money from this region than you?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Watched half the episodes so far and must say I don't get the hype. Barring a few PE teacher-like team talks there's little real behind the scenes dressing room insight. Must be cool for City fans though.
I didn't find it great either to be honest. Pep is pretty intense but you could tell that from the before the documentary but besides that it offers very little insight and is just alot of celebrating in the dressing room and showing team spirit.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
We'll add Commercial bank of Qatar, and Gulf Oil too.

Oh I see, this is a human rights thing not financial according to you guys.

So you can get in bed with these so called "monsters" as long as they don't overpay you right?
It's ok to be sponsored by and promote their brands but its not ok to be owned by them right?
Because for all the crying you do about human rights abuse, its about the fact we get more money from this region than you?
I have no part in this battle, it was just a hilarious thing to say on your part. The difference is insanely obvious though

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I didn't find it great either to be honest. Pep is pretty intense but you could tell that from the before the documentary but besides that it offers very little insight and is just alot of celebrating in the dressing room and showing team spirit.
Yeah, it almost seems to simplify things a bit too much with the little snippets from the pre-match analysis sessions and the team talk soundbites. There must be way more detailed analysis and preparation that the cameras probably weren't allowed to film/release, which is understandable.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I have no part in this battle, it was just a hilarious thing to say on your part. The difference is insanely obvious though
No its not, if the poster I quoted was referring to financial doping etc.. then yes. When he's claiming the moral highground for not being in bed with Human Rights Abusing regimes then its perfectly fair to compare and state United are in bed with many companies from said regimes and more than happy to take their money.

When he comes out with "history will remember us as the good guys" and all the human rights stuff, its perfectly fair to point out his hypocrisy.
Now does he show me a similar complaint about Uniteds dealings over there from before his City post I'll hold my hands up and say, fair play, he genuinely cares about human rights.
We both know he won't though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, it almost seems to simplify things a bit too much with the little snippets from the pre-match analysis sessions and the team talk soundbites. There must be way more detailed analysis and preparation that the cameras probably weren't allowed to film/release, which is understandable.
Without a doubt but I think Pep would probably limit what was and could be shown tactically for obvious reasons.
All said I've only watched 1.5 episodes so far, while its enjoyable in a kind of "I remember that kind of way" or "we were amazing that day", honestly I've learned little only that Brandon guy is daft and the players seem to genuinely love him.

Neo_Mufc

I watched a few episodes of All or Nothing last night and Jesus Christ when I fell asleep I had a nightmare that the City lot were trying to make me a City fan. Felt sick when I woke up :lol:

It's funny when Pep gets animated in the changing room, there's a few points where Aguero looks at him and he's like do I laugh or pretend that I understand what this loon is saying.

We didn't allow their cameras access to the derby at OT which we lost but I remember at the time the issue/fracas was that they were excessively celebrating with the music blaring. I've noticed they carry a large speaker with them to away matches. I don't want to discuss whether it's right/wrong, what I'm more interested in is have they or other clubs always been doing this? It obviously hit a nerve on that day.

Fluctuation0161

You do know United have been in bed with Saudi Telecom for donkey's years right? Your longest running international partnership... wheres your posts about that. You probably don't because you're another person who knows nothing about you own clubs business and spends all your time obsessing about City.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...d-agree-strategic-partnership-in-saudi-arabia

Here's a quote:
"The club has a long-standing relationship with Saudi Arabia and has over five million passionate fans in the region.

"Our partnership with Saudi Telecom is the longest running of all our commercial partners.

Oh and theres... that other company of righteousness:
http://gulfoil.co.uk/gulf-sport/manchester-united/

But wait theres more: Commercial bank of Qatar? Never, would United associate with...
Oh wait: https://www.manutd.com/en/partners/financial/commercial-bank-of-qatar

Cry me a river and have a good day.
Ridiculous argument, but funny. Your whole club is bank rolled by a state. Not a small proportion of its sponsorship from a private company based in a foreign country.

But keep grasping at straws...

redchamp

You do know United have been in bed with Saudi Telecom for donkey's years right? Your longest running international partnership... wheres your posts about that. You probably don't because you're another person who knows nothing about you own clubs business and spends all your time obsessing about City.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...d-agree-strategic-partnership-in-saudi-arabia

Here's a quote:
"The club has a long-standing relationship with Saudi Arabia and has over five million passionate fans in the region.

"Our partnership with Saudi Telecom is the longest running of all our commercial partners.

But wait theres more: Commercial bank of Qatar? Never, would United associate with...

:lol: Looks like I've struck a nerve. Do I agree with all of our sponsorships? No. But the fact you can't see the difference (with your entire club essentially having been turned into an Abu Dhabi vanity project) is hilarious, and has already been pointed out by other posters.

As I said, go ahead and watch your sanitised documentary, and keep putting your head in the sand, "it's just football".

JohnnyKills

:lol: Looks like I've struck a nerve. Do I agree with all of our sponsorships? No. But the fact you can't see the difference (with your entire club essentially having been turned into an Abu Dhabi vanity project) is hilarious, and has already been pointed out by other posters.

As I said, go ahead and watch your sanitised documentary, and keep putting your head in the sand, "it's just football".
Exactly.

I'm sure we all find some of United's sponsorship partners embarrassing, particularly the ones linked to anti-democratic Middle Eastern oil regimes.

But City are actually part of an anti-democratic Middle Eastern oil regime. They're owned, funded and managed by the UAE state. Without Abu Dhabi their club would be unrecognisable from what it is today, aside from the fact that they'd be playing in blue and their stadium would be empty.

It's like asking 'who is worse: the England cricketers who went on rebel tours to Apartheid South Africa, or ... Apartheid South Africa?'

Last edited:

The league is going to become pointless as this rate. 3 of their best players out and you'd barely notice, the bench today is still worth 280m. We have a lot of money but nobody can compete with what they're doing. Pep is building a team with 2+ great players in every position, and if they're not at the club he is going out and spending whatever it takes to buy them..

James Peril

They are ridiculously good, no two ways about it. Perfect understanding between lines, accompanied by brilliant brains in the middle. Silva is everything we wished Mata was going to be, the gulf is pretty big there. Oh and I miss quick and nimble attackers in our team, just isn’t the same with a 200 pounds target man.

Yeah yeah, the only consolation is that Liverpool will not win the league. Never going to happen, which is a great pleasure after all

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City are a great team, realistically 100 points needed to challenge them for the title, like last season. Need incredible consistency. They'll have a good go at the CL this season too. Liverpool and the big 3 from Spain can stop them though.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
City are a great team, realistically 100 points needed to challenge them for the title, like last season. Need incredible consistency. They'll have a good go at the CL this season too. Liverpool and the big 3 from Spain can stop them though.
I think PSG can too. Neymar and Mbappe running at Stones and Otamendi? You can't count Juve out as well. There are about half a dozen teams who are at the same level, feels like the most open CL season for years.

0le

I think PSG can too. Neymar and Mbappe running at Stones and Otamendi? You can't count Juve out as well. There are about half a dozen teams who are at the same level, feels like the most open CL season for years.
It was very open last season too.

marktan

PSG, City, Pool, Real, Barca and maybe Juve. Bayern too I guess since even with an older team they manage deep runs. Just wish we had made more signings this summer to be up there too.

SteveW

The league is going to become pointless as this rate. 3 of their best players out and you'd barely notice, the bench today is still worth 280m. We have a lot of money but nobody can compete with what they're doing. Pep is building a team with 2+ great players in every position, and if they're not at the club he is going out and spending whatever it takes to buy them..
He's a phenomenal coach. How did we let him end up there?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Certainly a class above. The amount of ‘tough’ fixtures we have, on paper, in comparison is way too high. Like, we play Brighton away today. Another ‘difficult fixture’ for us. We may manage to win it, but Again, it’s all grinding and stretching to keep up, whereas Brighton away is an easy fixture for them on paper.

They have very few tough games at all, whereas I’d say at least half of ours we can be realistically expected to drop points.

Water Melon

There were people saying that City had a one-off season, now watch them do it the same in the league and much better in CL. Pep is an absolutely phenomenal coach and it shows in the way his teams play. We will be out of title race before Xmas for 3 seasons in a row with Mou.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
PSG, Bayern Juve are V good sides, problem PSG / Bayern and a lesser extent Juve have is they don't get challenged enough in normal domestic games. Can't just raise the level for a 2 leg CL tie. City big favourites against any of those teams over 2 legs imo.

Spain big 3 or Liverpool and it's even for me.

RonaldoVII

There were people saying that City had a one-off season, now watch them do it the same in the league and much better in CL. Pep is an absolutely phenomenal coach and it shows in the way his teams play. We will be out of title race before Xmas for 3 seasons in a row with Mou.
Then we should've been backed in the market then. Mourinho wasn't backed to win the title.

He's a phenomenal coach. How did we let him end up there?
He is a great coach but he requires the best players or the funds to go out and get them. We could have bought him a few stars as we did for Jose but we couldn't back him to buy 50m+ players across the whole pitch and the bench. He would have struggled here, just as he struggled at City before he bought the best players in every position.

Water Melon

Then we should've been backed in the market then. Mourinho wasn't backed to win the title.
He is supposed to show that he can be as accurate and efficient with his transfers as Pep is. Guardiola is improving everyone and his players are playing the Pep way. We are playing the "lets see if we can beat Sevilla or Brighton" way. Pep is currently streets ahead of Mou as a coach and a manager. Mou will shit his pants again and do nothing of note in CL too.

RonaldoVII

He is supposed to show that he can be as accurate and efficient with his transfers as Pep is. Guardiola is improving everyone and his players are playing the Pep way. We are playing the "lets see if we can beat Sevilla or Brighton" way. Pep is currently streets ahead of Mou as a coach and a manager. Mou will shit his pants again and do nothing of note in CL too.
It's all Jose's fault :(

Dr. StrangeHate

City bought Girona, who are owned / run by Pep's Brother. Catalan connection? Try competiting with that..
I am surprised people forget this bit. City literally bought Guardiola's brother a whole club to play with. UAE are going to make the Guardiolas billionaires, why would he go anywhere else. Pep is city for life now.

OverratedOpinion

Here's a quote:

Indeed United can sign huge sponsorship deals due to our success and brilliant work behind the scenes commercially and with branding for over 2 decades. I think the point is that you won the lottery and every ounce of your success is due to that, unfortunately for you that view won't ever change no matter how much your fans attempt to muddy the waters. There is nothing unique or special about City, if Stoke, West Brom, Watford or whoever had been for sale at the exact time you were and your owners decided they preferred their name or the colour of their kits it would be them defending their title right now.

When Arsenal had a great team I remember feeling a little bitter about it, downplaying their players and manager. With your team at the moment I am more than happy to praise them to the rooftops because of how plastic it all is. If your mate beats you at a video game because he is better than you it can be frustrating, if he beats you because he uses the cheat code then it is a bit irrelevant.

You are relegation contenders with Joey Barton and that centre back who ended up at Pompey being your best players. That is the last thing you did off your own backs :)

PepsiCola

Indeed United can sign huge sponsorship deals due to our success and brilliant work behind the scenes commercially and with branding for over 2 decades. I think the point is that you won the lottery and every ounce of your success is due to that, unfortunately for you that view won't ever change no matter how much your fans attempt to muddy the waters. There is nothing unique or special about City, if Stoke, West Brom, Watford or whoever had been for sale at the exact time you were and your owners decided they preferred their name or the colour of their kits it would be them defending their title right now.

When Arsenal had a great team I remember feeling a little bitter about it, downplaying their players and manager. With your team at the moment I am more than happy to praise them to the rooftops because of how plastic it all is. If your mate beats you at a video game because he is better than you it can be frustrating, if he beats you because he uses the cheat code then it is a bit irrelevant.

You are relegation contenders with Joey Barton and that centre back who ended up at Pompey being your best players. That is the last thing you did off your own backs :)
Their league titles count just as much as ours. It may be plastic but its the best football in the country at the moment and all signs point to them storming to another league win.

The cheat code analogy really doesn't hold water either.

AR87

It is his inability to raise our game having spent shit tons of money. He will bend over a team that spent less than us in CL too. He is not one of the best anymore.
Pep lost to Monaco in the CL and got pumped by Liverpool last season.

Pep's transfer history isn't some unblemished record of success.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I stopped watching the game in the first half. Watching them upsets my spirit.

Renegade

Us signing a CB would have made no difference to competing with this city side. Our best of winning a major title would be fluking our way to a final ala Liverpool.

Teams need to wise up to City though.

OverratedOpinion

Their league titles count just as much as ours. It may be plastic but its the best football in the country at the moment and all signs point to them storming to another league win.

The cheat code analogy really doesn't hold water either.
Saying an analogy doesn't hold water really doesn't hold water without offering an explanation why.

Castia

Obviously the team to beat again this season, looks like they'll be looking to break their own points record.

Water Melon

Pep lost to Monaco in the CL and got pumped by Liverpool last season.

Pep's transfer history isn't some unblemished record of success.
Pep has just broken the PL record and Mou did feck all. Pep will win the prem for two seasons in a row and go pretty deep in the CL too. We are winning sweet feck all again, bar maybe a league cup or FA. We will compete for top 4, City will have double digits points difference against us by New Year.

Mailo

Certainly a class above. The amount of ‘tough’ fixtures we have, on paper, in comparison is way too high. Like, we play Brighton away today. Another ‘difficult fixture’ for us. We may manage to win it, but Again, it’s all grinding and stretching to keep up, whereas Brighton away is an easy fixture for them on paper.

They have very few tough games at all, whereas I’d say at least half of ours we can be realistically expected to drop points.
This.

OverratedOpinion

Us signing a CB would have made no difference to competing with this city side. Our best of winning a major title would be fluking our way to a final ala Liverpool.

Teams need to wise up to City though.
Wise up how? They win the way they do due to having better technical players in every position who are all drilled exceptionally well to understand their role in the system. I think people reference the way Liverpool play against them/that system but that is not easy to do and the ability to do so is one of the main reasons Klopp has been successful.