Varchester City 18/19 discussion

padr81

Supports
Man City
I disagree and I don't think its a City thing. It's a Pep thing. At Barcelona he had that little prick Busquets doing it.
Don't get me wrong, I think its clearly instructed but its instructed not just by Pep. Klopp, Emery and co. just as much. It makes sense. It doesn't happen near as much as made out on here though.. imho.

Everytime Fernandinho touches someone its a yellow card according to this place. In reality its only every 2nd time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
On a side note you'd think I'd be confident for tonight after the weekend but I fully expect you guys to crown Liverpool.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
If City win the title this year, it will rank among the greatest title wins we’ve seen in the Premier League era, IMO. Trimming a ten-point deficit at Christmas against a side blessed with good fortune all season long (no key injuries to speak of, offside goals, opposition goalkeeper howlers, last-minute, flukey wonder goals, late opposition penalty misses etc.) whilst trying to contend with multiple injuries of their own to key players throughout the campaign, all the while playing the best football in the league by a country mile, is a fantastic achievement.

I despise their ‘project’ as much as the next Red, but fair dues, if they retain the title this year whilst almost matching last season’s record points total, it’ll be a superlative effort.

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
If City win the title this year, it will rank among the greatest title wins we’ve seen in the Premier League era, IMO. Trimming a ten-point deficit at Christmas against a side blessed with good fortune all season long (no key injuries to speak of, offside goals, opposition goalkeeper howlers, last-minute, flukey wonder goals, late opposition penalty misses etc.) whilst trying to contend with multiple injuries of their own to key players throughout the campaign, all the while playing the best football in the league by a country mile, is a fantastic achievement.

I despise their ‘project’ as much as the next Red, but fair dues, if they retain the title this year whilst almost matching last season’s record points total, it’ll be a superlative effort.
Excellent, reasoned opinion. thank you. Deep down, as to the 'project', I think there are a very large number of City fans that have always been uncomfortable with the 'owners' and all of the issues/baggage they come with. But as any football fan, a bit like not being able to choose your family, you dont generally get a choice with who is going to 'own' your club. If you don't like the owners, as a fan, are you just going to stop supporting, not go to games and jump ship to another club, or do you just hunker down and support the players and manager on the day. I remember at the time of the takeover, that loads of opposing fans were asking why on earth did these guys want to take over at City, rather than so many other clubs and in reality, if they had gone United at that time (not that might have been able to get it), would that, as a 'project' have had Utd fans walking away in droves because their moral compass was at odds with the morals & ethics of the owner? I think not.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

It's such fine margins though isn't it. If we drop points and lose the league to Liverpool then this team will be instantly forgettable. But if we can hold on for the last 3 games, then I think this team moves up the conversation on greatest teams of the PL era -- back to back titles with 198 points combined would be some effort.

ExecutionerWasp001

It will be nowhere near any of the greatest PL title wins. Liverpool have had a lot of luck through the season but City have the most expensive squad in world football. The luck Liverpool have had has evened the playing field. We saw what a devastating impact City had last season having the luck on their side & the best squad. If Liverpool win it they will probably go down as the luckiest winners in the PL era. If City win then it's only to be expected with the money that's been spent. You can hardly call either team great champions on the back of this.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Excellent, reasoned opinion. thank you. Deep down, as to the 'project', I think there are a very large number of City fans that have always been uncomfortable with the 'owners' and all of the issues/baggage they come with. But as any football fan, a bit like not being able to choose your family, you dont generally get a choice with who is going to 'own' your club. If you don't like the owners, as a fan, are you just going to stop supporting, not go to games and jump ship to another club, or do you just hunker down and support the players and manager on the day. I remember at the time of the takeover, that loads of opposing fans were asking why on earth did these guys want to take over at City, rather than so many other clubs and in reality, if they had gone United at that time (not that might have been able to get it), would that, as a 'project' have had Utd fans walking away in droves because their moral compass was at odds with the morals & ethics of the owner? I think not.
I'm in the don't go to home games or buy any merch. camp

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Cardiff are terrible but there’s just that nagging feeling that Liverpool will slip up in the run in.

When was their last convincing performance domestically? Watford in February? I can only think of two PL games since the turn of the year that they’ve been in control of.

Meanwhile, City continue to win game after game in second gear. Now we’re coming to such a packed part of the season, I think that’s a major advantage for City.

As you say, rarely have liverpool looked convincing domestically in 2019 but there's a limit to how often one can keep saying liverpool are lucky - we are beyond the stage where it can be solely or even primarily down to luck

It will be utterly hilarious if liverpool get 97 points, a total that would win in any year other than this year and last, a total that is 8 higher than the record for coming second (United did hold the record with 89 in 2011/12), two consecutive player of the year awards, a great run in Europe, but still fail to win the league

Raw

As you say, rarely have liverpool looked convincing domestically in 2019 but there's a limit to how often one can keep saying liverpool are lucky - we are beyond the stage where it can be solely or even primarily down to luck

It will be utterly hilarious if liverpool get 97 points, a total that would win in any year other than this year and last, a total that is 8 higher than the record for coming second (United did hold the record with 89 in 2011/12), two consecutive player of the year awards, a great run in Europe, but still fail to win the league
I only wish it was us in your position to crush Liverpools hopes like that :lol:

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
I only wish it was us in your position to crush Liverpools hopes like that :lol:
I'll bet !

Your rivalry with liverpool's is completely different to ours. For us, they just happen to be the inform team of the moment. For United, for all kinds of reasons, it's very different

But when we lost to spurs, I was at the game with a spurs fan and congratulated him, genuinely wishing his team well in the CL

With liverpool, they do themselves no favours. They are on RAWK talking about how lucky city have been this season without a hint of irony, or talking about how classy their fans are but in the same thread, suggesting liverpool fans line the streets of manchester before our game with leicester in the hope of intimidating our players. They have zero class and 100% entitlement. I think even the media are not looking like they have quite the same level of love-in with liverpool in recent weeks.

Josh 76

Been a bit quiet. Just checking how preparations are going for Monday night. No media coverage for nearly a week. Any injuries ? The 8 day rest must have done Pep and the players the world of good. No excuses. Just Get the win so we can enjoy Barca hammer another nail in the Klopp coffin on Tuesday.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Been a bit quiet. Just checking how preparations are going for Monday night. No media coverage for nearly a week. Any injuries ? The 8 day rest must have done Pep and the players the world of good. No excuses. Just Get the win so we can enjoy Barca hammer another nail in the Klopp coffin on Tuesday.
Players back in yesterday after 3 days off. Proper build up starts today. Doesn't look like De Bruyne or Fernandinho will be fit.

I feel sick with nerves and there's still ages until kick off.....

Josh 76

Players back in yesterday after 3 days off. Proper build up starts today. Doesn't look like De Bruyne or Fernandinho will be fit.

The 7 days rest should work in your favour. The players haven't had a break like this all season. Surely you can't feck it up now after doing all the hard work.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

We were never ten points ahead of City after the same number of games played. You post that to make it look like we threw away a bigger lead than we actually did. We were never more than 7 points ahead and had to play City away which reduced it to 4 after we lost there.

Also wonder goals aren't flukey. If they were then you could discount every single late wonder goal ever scored. We've had some luck for sure but lets be fair about it and not make things up.

Guardiola's created an incredible side tbf. The way they control games is so impressive and I can't really think of any league games they've been second best in. Should've beaten us at Anfield as well. They deserve to be champions.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Benitez could do you guys a favour on Saturday night. Imagine if he does... the City players will get a huge boost ahead of Monday night knowing a win essentially wins them the title.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Benitez could do you guys a favour on Saturday night. Imagine if he does... the City players will get a huge boost ahead of Monday night knowing a win essentially wins them the title.
It would be very City like not to win on Monday then!

We've gone balls out this season to try and win everything. Failed in the Champions League by a couple of inches but us Blues can be proud of the team. Just really want us to get over the line now and make the season special

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Think we're all too nervous to be posting too much! No idea if the week break is a good thing or a bad thing really. We were on a roll and the extra time between games hasn't helped to get Fernandinho, KDB, etc. back in time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It would be very City like not to win on Monday then!

We've gone balls out this season to try and win everything. Failed in the Champions League by a couple of inches but us Blues can be proud of the team. Just really want us to get over the line now and make the season special
It would be the most City/Liverpool thing of all time if we messed up Monday and than they lose to Wolves.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't think I've ever been so nervous over a game of football. It's so early in the day and I'm a wreck.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think I've ever been so nervous over a game of football. It's so early in the day and I'm a wreck.
Envious position to be in. You lot are nervous with anticipation. Utd fans are bricking it with fear and confusion. But us Pool fans are kind of feeling nothing. Just inevitability.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
It's mental, I'm the same. We had to win 6 in a row to win in 2012, 5 in a row in 2014, but I never remember it being this nervous every game. And it's not just watching our games either, it's watching Liverpool and hoping they slip up. And they never do.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Envious position to be in. You lot are nervous with anticipation. Utd fans are bricking it with fear and confusion. But us Pool fans are kind of feeling nothing. Just inevitability.
I don't know if its anticipation, I think its more Vardy is gonna do Vardy things. I'm probably shitting a brick. I can honestly say I wasn't this nervous before or during the Aguero moment. It's weird.

It's mental, I'm the same. We had to win 6 in a row to win in 2012, 5 in a row in 2014, but I never remember it being this nervous every game. And it's not just watching our games either, it's watching Liverpool and hoping they slip up. And they never do.
Maybe its the 2 games a week, its draining. Constantly waiting for who'll slip up.

Josh 76

Try not to over think it.
I can see the crowd being right up for this. City will press from the start and the high intensity will prevail. Can see this being a 4-1 victory for City

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't know if its anticipation, I think its more Vardy is gonna do Vardy things. I'm probably shitting a brick. I can honestly say I wasn't this nervous before or during the Aguero moment. It's weird.

Maybe its the 2 games a week, its draining. Constantly waiting for who'll slip up.
Foxes will defo score, just need to pray that City score more...

My instinct says that Foxes will score a few.

Have a feeling the City backline will have a bad day.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not nervous at all but only because I'm expecting you to win your remaining games. If you drop points tonight Sunday is going to be unbearable.

It's so much more comfortable supporting the chaser.

Ban

It's always better to play first. I can see City being nervous tonight. Pair that with a tricky Leicester side and anything can happen.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Leicester guaranteed to score first on the counter tonight after we overcommit men trying to win the game. Honestly bricking it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Title game. If City win here it's over.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Make or break today, there's no way that City will drop points against Brighton, Leicester is the last stepping stone.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I can understand people not wanting Liverpool to win the league but would've thought they'd be some mass resistance to Man. City becoming the first English team since I don't know when to win the domestic treble, that's a pretty historic achievement in its own right.

Guess we'll have everyone going Watford mad on May 18th.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I can understand people not wanting Liverpool to win the league but would've thought they'd be some mass resistance to Man. City becoming the first English team since I don't know when to win the domestic treble, that's a pretty historic achievement in its own right.

It's not an ideal scenario but a million percent better than the other.

Irwin99

Not as if it's as good as our Treble either.