g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Varchester City 18/19 discussion

AshRK

Pragmatism at its best. Full marks to pep for not just having one plan and sticking to it. He has adapted himself which is what top managers do.

JohnnyKills

No matter how funny it is that Liverpool won't win the league, it's hard not to feel a little bit cheated when you see City doing so well.

We got punished for our own success, and City profited from it. We got taken over by a bunch of asset-stripping leaches and they got bought out by owners with unlimited money - due in no small part, no doubt, to the fact that they had 'Manchester' in their name.

Still, them's the breaks I guess.

Ban

I can understand people not wanting Liverpool to win the league but would've thought they'd be some mass resistance to Man. City becoming the first English team since I don't know when to win the domestic treble, that's a pretty historic achievement in its own right.

Guess we'll have everyone going Watford mad on May 18th.
Our Treble still beats theirs.

haram

Neville just said that on the ball, Kompany is the most limited City player on the pitch. Now compare that to us :lol:

JohnnyKills

Neville just said Kompany is the most limited City player on the pitch. Now compare that to us :lol:
Always thought Kompany was a United player in the wrong shirt. He epitomises everything our club is about. If there were any chance of signing him, even know, he'd be perfect for us.

haram

If we had a defender that limited we would be golden. I lost count of the amount of times he split the lines and got the ball straight to a wide player.
Invaluable quality for any team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Our Treble still beats theirs.
Of course it does.

However I did always chuckle at that Stretford End banner that had the timer of Man. City last trophy that ran to nearly 40 years. Now you're actively cheering them on to win league titles (I know it's the lesser of two evils).

The problem is this could really turn into a long period of dominance for Man. City, 5-6 titles in a row which would be very boring for the neutral and also mean Man. United go on a long title drought of their own.

Ban

Of course it does.

However I did always chuckle at that Stretford End banner that had the timer of Man. City last trophy that ran to nearly 40 years. Now you're actively cheering them on to win league titles (I know it's the lesser of two evils).

The problem is this could really turn into a long period of dominance for Man. City, 5-6 titles in a row which would be very boring for the neutral and also mean Man. United go on a long title drought of their own.
Of course. It would ve bad, but not as bad as Liverpool winning it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Always thought Kompany was a United player in the wrong shirt. He epitomises everything our club is about. If there were any chance of signing him, even know, he'd be perfect for us.
He's their Evra/Vidic. Just gets the club and area and so fans will always forgive him errors. He's always had the knack of scoring in big games, scored in a few Manchester derbies down the years such as the famous goal in 2012.

Huge will to win even in his mid 30s.

Irwin99

Nowhere have I even said that.
I meant that's our consolation that we can use, I don't meant that you suggested it was better. The ultimate evil is Liverpool winning. City winning the domestic treble is not as bad, and we can always state the obvious that our Treble was better so it dulls the pain a bit. That's what I meant.

Of course I will be praying that Watford pulls something out the hat on Cup final day and then it's 'only' a double.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I presume this forum was going in 2005, just wondering how some of you who were registered way back then coped when Istanbul happened!

I had to survive fecking Birmingham City win a major trophy and I've (just) survived to live the tale.

Liverpool will win the title eventually so I just see it a bit as cutting nose off to spite your face, willing Man. City to win league after league so they get into double figures pretty quickly (and eventually win a CL aswell) and then it all goes right for Liverpool one season while Man. United remain in the wilderness.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I can understand people not wanting Liverpool to win the league but would've thought they'd be some mass resistance to Man. City becoming the first English team since I don't know when to win the domestic treble, that's a pretty historic achievement in its own right.

Guess we'll have everyone going Watford mad on May 18th.
Who cares about a domestic treble? It's a meaningless feat really. People only refer to 'proper' trebles as League, Main national cup and CL. No-one speaks about Pool's one bar Liverpool fans, it'll be the same for this.

SirAF

Ageist
I presume this forum was going in 2005, just wondering how some of you who were registered way back then coped when Istanbul happened!

I had to survive fecking Birmingham City win a major trophy and I've (just) survived to live the tale.

Liverpool will win the title eventually so I just see it a bit as cutting nose off to spite your face, willing Man. City to win league after league so they get into double figures pretty quickly (and eventually win a CL aswell) and then it all goes right for Liverpool one season while Man. United remain in the wilderness.
Not necessarily

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Kompany leaving City in the Summer going by his interview. Looked very emotional and was speaking about how he was coming to the end etc. Seemed like he was trying to choose his words very carefully.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Who cares about a domestic treble? It's a meaningless feat really. People only refer to 'proper' trebles as League, Main national cup and CL. No-one speaks about Pool's one bar Liverpool fans, it'll be the same for this.
Winning all the trophies in your country is a big deal.

I welcome us accomplishing meaningless feats like this in the future.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
When he's not spouting about the quadruple, Kompany seems a decent lad. Wish we had him right now.

Skills

Snitch
Of course it does.

Only as long as Guardiola is there. They've been spunking money for about 10 years now and it's only under Guardiola they've hit this height.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Liverpool 2001 was a good effort but my criteria for worthy treble is it always has to include a league title so Man. City will be much better. Obviously not as good as 1999 which is standalone in English football until someone else does it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Winning all the trophies in your country is a big deal.

I welcome us accomplishing meaningless feats like this in the future.
Winning 3 trophies is a huge achievement, but it won't be referred to as the treble in the way that United's was, or Barca's etc. Hard to explain my point properly really. When people think of a treble in England (or a big country) it naturally includes the CL.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Winning 3 trophies is a huge achievement, but it won't be referred to as the treble in the way that United's was, or Barca's etc. Hard to explain my point properly really. When people think of a treble in England (or a big country) it naturally includes the CL.
Oh yeah fair enough

Skills

Snitch
They've shown immense character so far this season.

Always being a game behind must be mentally draining. Even after the caught up on the game in hand, the fixtures always lined them up to play second.

JohnnyKills

Kompany leaving City in the Summer going by his interview. Looked very emotional and was speaking about how he was coming to the end etc. Seemed like he was trying to choose his words very carefully.
Would be delighted if we signed him. Won't happen but would be the best thing we've done in ages.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Only as long as Guardiola is there. They've been spunking money for about 10 years now and it's only under Guardiola they've hit this height.
Well this is his 3rd season and in other years he's been stressed (Barca) or felt he'd taken a club as far as he could (Bayern). Think he's settled at Man. City so can see him staying for another 2-3 years at least. He really will want to win CL again.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
He's not the player he once was and as much as I love him he cant be relied upon to be in form or even fit when you need him. Seeing him leave would hurt though, I'd much prefer to see him retire and become a coach with the club. It's always sad to see great players leave clubs and go somewhere worse, taints the memories of just how good they were. Like Ferdinand at QPR or Terry at Villa.

JohnnyKills

Yeah that's the big factor isn't it. He'll be there next year but surely he'll want a new challenge before too long. Maybe Barca again when they go into decline.

Edit: sorry, by challenge, I meant a new gimme with the most powerful club in the league.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well this is his 3rd season and in other years he's been stressed (Barca) or felt he'd taken a club as far as he could (Bayern). Think he's settled at Man. City so can see him staying for another 2-3 years at least. He really will want to win CL again.
Still don't think he'll do more than 2 more seasons at most but I'm curious because in 2 seasons this team, his team will be at its peak. No more Kompany, Silva or Aguero quite likely and all his players like Jesus, Gundogan (if he renews) will be the key players. Will be interesting to see what happens when that time comes.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He's not the player he once was and as much as I love him he cant be relied upon to be in form or even fit when you need him. Seeing him leave would hurt though, I'd much prefer to see him retire and become a coach with the club. It's always sad to see great players leave clubs and go somewhere worse, taints the memories of just how good they were. Like Ferdinand at QPR or Terry at Villa.
I think he's a huge liability defensively, always feel like he has a big error in him still. He makes far too many reckless lunges (like the one today) as well. Incredible player in his prime though and still a great guy to have around. Be a great signing for someone.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think he's a huge liability defensively, always feel like he has a big error in him still. He makes far too many reckless lunges (like the one today) as well. Incredible player in his prime though and still a great guy to have around. Be a great signing for someone.
He's too slow now and misses all those tackles so they are all red's waiting to happen. Before injuries he was quick enough to make those balls though still had a rash tackle, now every time there is a 50/50 with both players making a running start I have to look away as you just know he's getting there late, flying through the air and risking the match. I'd be tempted to give him a new contract as 4th choice if he'd take it.

Tbh, I think we might have a bit of a rebuild in the summer. Kompany, Fernandinho need replacements (even if Fern is still first choice). Gundogan and Sane don't seem to want to renew and will probably be sold if it runs too long as opposed to being allowed to enter their final year. It's also looking more likely Pep has got sick of Mendy leaving him out of the 18 now two games in a row and playing a no.10 in his position. Danilo too rumored to be off.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Huge liability is a bit much, but you do feel he's prone to lunging in and getting sent off occasionally. As time's gone on he's lost a bit of speed and is obviously much more injury prone.

It's not just his presence on the pitch and all the big moments he's had though that I'll miss though. Off the pitch he's married a local girl, went to Manchester Uni, speaks with the accent despite being not from here and generally just is an all round solid guy. Having grown up with him as the keystone of the team though he's the player I think of when I think of City and definitely as a captain. He's been here 10 years through 4 managers, the most constant player in our team and just always done everything he can for the club. He's the only player whose career I'd actively follow after leaving the club.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He's too slow now and misses all those tackles so they are all red's waiting to happen. Before injuries he was quick enough to make those balls though still had a rash tackle, now every time there is a 50/50 with both players making a running start I have to look away as you just know he's getting there late, flying through the air and risking the match. I'd be tempted to give him a new contract as 4th choice if he'd take it.

Tbh, I think we might have a bit of a rebuild in the summer. Kompany, Fernandinho need replacements (even if Fern is still first choice). Gundogan and Sane don't seem to want to renew and will probably be sold if it runs too long as opposed to being allowed to enter their final year. It's also looking more likely Pep has got sick of Mendy leaving him out of the 18 now two games in a row and playing a no.10 in his position. Danilo too rumored to be off.
I think judging by the way Pep was fawning over Chilwell at the end you'll get him to replace Mendy.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think judging by the way Pep was fawning over Chilwell at the end you'll get him to replace Mendy.
We've been after him for awhile and probably would have went for him if Zinchenko had moved to Wolves in the summer. Now its looking like Zinchenko will stick around and Mendy will get the boot purely because of instagram. I don't think Mendy is enough of a pro off the pitch for Pep. This is a guy who after all had issues with. I quite like Chilwell to be honest but another £50m fullback would be taking the piss.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I remember many years ago when he was a prospective DM United were linked with him but he got a bad toe injury and he seemed to fall off your RADAR.
A few years later he'd gone via Hamburg to City for a modest fee.

mu4c_20le

I remember many years ago when he was a prospective DM United were linked with him but he got a bad toe injury and he seemed to fall off your RADAR.
A few years later he'd gone via Hamburg to City for a modest fee.
I remember he and vanden borre being rated back then, i actually preferred vanden borre because he could play multiple positions. Always thought Kompany was too rash, but fair play to City for sticking by him all these years, theyve finally been rewarded.