Vardy's challenge on Mustafi, deserved Red?

El Zoido

It’s clearly deliberate, don’t even know how that’s up for debate. There’s no reason for him to kick his leg out in that way, it’s not a natural movement.

SirAnderson

It’s accidental so obviously not a red. As much as I hate Vardy he’s not going into a tackle or anything, it’s accidental collision while falling down.

No way is that a red & if that happened to us & a red was given I’d be fuming
His foot has no business swinging up high there. When you fall down, you don't lift you feet in the air to do it.
Sorry but that's a red.
Besides just because it can be accidental, doesn't mean it can't be a red.

Rafaeldagold

It’s clearly deliberate, don’t even know how that’s up for debate. There’s no reason for him to kick his leg out in that way, it’s not a natural movement.
I’m sorry that’s utter rubbish. You can’t give a red for that.

Vardy May be trying to kick him in the face, if he’s that much of a Cnut. (Possible for him)

But no way can you give a red . You can’t prove that was deliberate as he’s not going in for a tackle, it’s while he’s falling down.

You can’t second guess his motives for an accidental collision & give a red. That’s ridiculous

Anekdote

This should be investigated by the FA and ban Vardy afterwards. Any announcement by the FA if they will have a look?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Agreed in as much as I don't know why he's flinging his leg up in a circular motion. If it's intentional that's terrible conduct, if it's a bit of frustration wanting to kick out his leg but not necessarily make contact that's still wreckless conduct, and the result is a nasty injury that could have been far worse. What's more...
Yeah I'm inclined to think it was probably frustration. A heat of the moment thing.

Still a red though as it's so bloody dangerous.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal

Vardy May be trying to kick him in the face, if he’s that much of a Cnut. (Possible for him)

But no way can you give a red . You can’t prove that was deliberate as he’s not going in for a tackle, it’s while he’s falling down.

You can’t second guess his motives for an accidental collision & give a red. That’s ridiculous
Based on that logic, Nketiah shouldn't have been sent off as his wasn't delierate

Rafaeldagold

Based on that logic, Nketiah shouldn't have been sent off as his wasn't delierate
No wrong again. Nketiah deserved to get sent off as he’s deliberately going in for a challenge.

Going in for a challenge & falling over are 2 very different things

El Zoido

You can see him look at the guy then kick him in the head. There was absolutely no reason for him to kick out like that. It’s like punching someone in the face then claiming it was accidental because “my fist was going that way anyway”.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is it just me, or has retrospective bans decreased dramatically since the introduction of VAR?
This in the past would definitely get looked at!
They definitely have. I don’t know if the protocol has changed but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just the FA protecting the reputation of the VAR guys who they don’t want to appear to be missing things. Obviously as well as cards being picked up by VAR.

Fully Fledged

Just made a comment in the VAR thread... but yeah, absolutely a red card

Even if it is an accident... shouldn't it still be a red card because it's a dangerous thing to do?

Nketiah was clearly going for the ball in his challenge and most likely didn't mean to connect with the leg... but because he went in in a dangerous manner its still a red card.
How can falling down be dangerous play. The only way that you can say he deserved a red card is if you think he had time to withdraw his leg and left it out there intentionally. The problem with that was because of the chaotic manner of 2 people falling he could have had the other player falling on his leg and breaking it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think it's intentional, it's not like Vardy is some known saint.

Fully Fledged

They definitely have. I don’t know if the protocol has changed but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just the FA protecting the reputation of the VAR guys who they don’t want to appear to be missing things. Obviously as well as cards being picked up by VAR.
Retrospective bans only happened when the ref said that he didn't see the incident with the inception of VAR a ref sees everything that the camera catches.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How can falling down be dangerous play. The only way that you can say he deserved a red card is if you think he had time to withdraw his leg and left it out there intentionally. The problem with that was because of the chaotic manner of 2 people falling he could have had the other player falling on his leg and breaking it.
I think that's a totally unnatural way to fall over... When do you see people fall over and fling their leg out that high and aggressively?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No wrong again. Nketiah deserved to get sent off as he’s deliberately going in for a challenge.

Going in for a challenge & falling over are 2 very different things
I can see your point; if we start policing falling down we could end up with some ridiculous decisions. However what you're essentially saying is that if you're falling you can do whatever you like with your legs and it will be passed off as accidental and no action will be taken. Why is Vardy wheeling his leg around? If it's a bit of frustration, if it's to try to get the ref's attention so his team are more likely to get a freekick he's acted in a way that has resulted in a nasty injury to an opponent, which is textbook reckless conduct.

Doracle

Looks accidental to me and, if it’s accidental, it’s clearly not a red as he isn’t being reckless by falling over.

RyRoc

I think he’s meant to kick him Out of frustration but not straight in his face which has lead to his apolegetic reaction straight after.

SirAnderson

I definitely think it's that too.
The amount of things VAR misses is crazy.
Can't understand how the PL has to be the worst in implementating all these things.
Last to bring VAR in, worst in use and refereeing in general.

Honestly don't know where to from here. You'd think a newer crop of refs would help but they learning their trade with the old guard and picking up the same crap.

Rafaeldagold

I can see your point; if we start policing falling down we could end up with some ridiculous decisions. However what you're essentially saying is that if you're falling you can do whatever you like with your legs and it will be passed off as accidental and no action will be taken. Why is Vardy wheeling his leg around? If it's a bit of frustration, if it's to try to get the ref's attention so his team are more likely to get a freekick he's acted in a way that has resulted in a nasty injury to an opponent, which is textbook reckless conduct.
Do I think it could be deliberate? Possibly.

Can you give a red- absolutely not.

As like you say you’ll be policing every player who falls down and accidentally makes contact with another player. It just can’t be proven it’s what he’s intending & it’s not reckless like Nkiteah as it’s not a challenge. He’s just falling over

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

As like you say you’ll be policing every player who falls down and accidentally makes contact with another player. It just can’t be proven it’s what he’s intending & it’s not reckless like Nkiteah as it’s not a challenge. He’s just falling over
If you're swinging a boot, whether you're falling or not, that could be considered reckless. Where we certainly don't want to get to is two players tussle for the ball, one falls on top of another and he's treated like he's done an intentional body slam. But even in the motion of falling you can do additional reckless things with your limbs, and in this case Vardy has done that for me.

MadMike

We do that already mate and should continue to do that. We try to judge if contact is intentional or not and if it the movement is unnatural it's deemed intentional and cards are brandished.

A player falling over is not carte blanche to kick and punch people. And most footballers are trying to disguise intentional lash outs as accidental while falling over. It's nothing new

Rafaeldagold

We do that already mate and should continue to do that. We try to judge if contact is intentional or not and if it the movement is unnatural it's deemed intentional and cards are brandished.

A player falling over is not carte blanche to kick and punch people. And most footballers are trying to disguise intentional lash outs as accidental while falling over. It's nothing new
No we do that already with challenges .

Not with people falling over.

I can’t even believe there’s a debate that a red should be given for accidentally contacting someone while falling over.

MalcolmTucker

I really don't understand this logic. The only reason this is being talked about is because it is reckless - whether it's challenge or not is a weird and arbitary distinction to make. Does that mean it's impossible to be reckless if two players are falling over?

You can see from this replay that there's absolutely no reason for him to swing his foot round that high. It's already planted and he decides to swing it deliberately.

Rafaeldagold

I really don't understand this logic. The only reason this is being talked about is because it is reckless - whether it's challenge or not is a weird and arbitary distinction to make. Does that mean it's impossible to be reckless if two players are falling over?

You can see from this replay that there's absolutely no reason for him to swing his foot round that high. It's already planted and he decides to swing it deliberately.
If you’re falling over you are not intending to do a challenge or anything. You’re simply falling over so it can’t be reckless as you’re not intending to do anything.

With other reckless challenges people are going in for tackles but miss timed, high etc.

Surely you can see the difference?