Vardy's challenge on Mustafi, deserved Red?

Fully Fledged

He's not falling forward only, the static image is deceiving you. They have momentum towards the right, which is the direction of the ball they are challenging for and the direction they were heading towards when they collided.

I'm not saying it's intentional or not. But simply using a static image to infer momentum doesn't work.
What your static image does do is show that those who were saying he looked at him and extended his leg are wrong. He is looking in completely the other direction there is no way he can know where the defender is. I also think from that picture that he has his eyes closed.

MadMike

Watch it again, his rotating momentum has almost completely stopped by the time he swings his leg around. In fact, his left leg planting on the ground is what stops the momentum of his left foot. Then he lifts it and swings it in a roundhouse kick style. The ONLY way this can happen, is if he did it on purpose.
I've watched it again and again, and I simply don't agree. He still has momentum heading right and "simply falling forward" means an inversion of momentum that is not possible.

Does he generate extra rotational momentum for his leg by using his muscles and does he intentionally raise his leg higher? Quite possible, probable even. But falling forward is no option there. His body is heading right and as he falls on his right shoulder, his body will naturally rotate.

El Zoido

I've watched it again and again, and I don't agree. He still has momentum heading right and "simply falling forward" means an inversion of momentum that is not possible.

Does he generate extra rotational momentum for his leg by using his muscles and does he intentionally raise his leg higher? Quite possible, probable even. But falling forward is not option there. His body is heading right and as he falls on his right shoulder his body will rotate.
No, at the point of the kick his body is falling down vertically and has little to no rotational momentum at that point. The movement is entirely from him kicking his leg out, he has visible control of the kick. There’s also a deliberate extension of his leg at the point of him dropping to the ground (again, no rotational momentum). He could easily have completely avoided contact here.

MadMike

No, at the point of the kick his body is falling down vertically and has little to no rotational momentum at that point. The movement is entirely from him kicking his leg out, he has visible control of the kick. There’s also a deliberate extension of his leg at the point of him dropping to the ground (again, no rotational momentum). He could easily have completely avoided contact here.
There's no point discussing then. We see two entirely different things.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Totally accidental.

Funny how most people thought Maguire's was accidental when he did a similar kick out earlier in the season.

I thought that was accidental too.

It's all this slowing sh!T down frame by frame. Always looks worse, and people over analyse everything.

Total ludicrous whataboutery with the Arsenal red too, and there shouldn't be, as he studded someone late and high.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's really hard to call intention on that. I've seen something look like intention but in reality player didn't mean it. This could be one of the scenario. You could say Vardy was just being frustrated (like the one when him vs Bailly) and decided to swing his leg randomly but unfortunately hitting Mustafi's face.

Nketiah on the other hand wasn't intention since he was trying to go for the ball, but showing his stud when clearly he was nowhere near close to get it first since Justin was the closest one. That's something I have seen given. May be if you have been hiding under the rock for the last 8 years, I can see why Arsenal fans were moaning about it because back then you could get away with yellow or even nothing.

My point is that we've seen something similar on Vardy's situation and wasn't given while we've seen Nketiah's situation and was always given.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For all the "accidental" people;

Do you think falling forwards and then swinging your leg around with force is completely normal, or are you saying he just swang his leg around to try and kick the ball and caught him by accident?

I cannot see any situation where falling forwards makes you suddenly perform a roundhouse kick :lol: it looked like he was Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon ffs!

At the 2 second mark his left foot hits the floor. If it was a natural fall that would be it, his body would hit the floor. Instead he LIFTS his leg back up. If that isn't intentional then what is?

MalcolmTucker

What your static image does do is show that those who were saying he looked at him and extended his leg are wrong. He is looking in completely the other direction there is no way he can know where the defender is. I also think from that picture that he has his eyes closed.
He just barged into him, of course he knows where he is :lol:

mu4c_20le

This is more of a red card than Nketiah, who barely raised his foot.

MadMike

Do you think falling forwards and then swinging your leg around with force is completely normal, or are you saying he just swang his leg around to try and kick the ball and caught him by accident?

I cannot see any situation where falling forwards makes you suddenly perform a roundhouse kick :lol: it looked like he was Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon ffs!

At the 2 second mark his left foot hits the floor. If it was a natural fall that would be it, his body would hit the floor. Instead he LIFTS his leg back up. If that isn't intentional then what is?
No. I think he's not falling forwards because I'm using the optical devices attached to my face, called eyes.

Both Vardy's and Mustafi's bodies clearly have a momentum carrying them right. Mustafi falls flat on his back while Vardy lands on his right shoulder and rolls. They are both heading in the same direction with similar speed, but land differently.

For the record, I find the leg extension unnaturally high. But to claim that he doesn't have momentum carrying him right is, quite frankly, seeing something else from what is happening.

Last edited:

mancan92

Come on guys this stuff is done at full speed. This is an accident vardy well done aswell so his body is also starting to attempt to get back up quickly.

mancan92

When his body is predicting a fall he easily could have swung knowing that his quickest way back up would be turning as he did.

LoneStar

feck, I read this as Vader’s challenge in Mustafar. Would have been far more interesting tbf

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think that looks intentional and he hasn’t meant to connect as well as he has. It’s definitely a cheeky swing of the boot though in frustration.

Tarrou

I can't see how it could be accidental having watched it a million times

He is turning a bit bit his leg turns faster and he fully extends it, which would be a weird way to fall

Probably didn’t intend to twat him fully in the head, mind you

Let’s just agree that intentional or not, Vardy deserves a ban for the rest of the season

edcunited1878

Nani's red card against Real was an accident and he was looking at the ball the entire time while the Real player runs right into his boot on a high ball. Nani red card.

Nani's shin gets split open by Carragher and it was a yellow card only.

You can swing your boot and miss the ball but if you catch your opponent, that's a card, especially when your studs are showing. Vardy should have gotten at very least a yellow, but getting a red wouldn't have been an issue. That's reckless and endangered Mustafi. Why are you swinging your leg out like that when you and an opponent are on the ground? You didn't control your action or you did and you got what you wanted and it was harming the safety of another player.

TheReligion

Abusive
If his intent was to hang his foot out so it could potentially hit Mustafi in the face then it was intentional.
If his intent was to hang his foot out so it could potentially hit Mustafi in the face then it was intentional.
In legal term he foresaw the risk and went on to go ahead and do it anyway. That makes him guilty.