Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Some posters don’t see what’s in front of them. The lads utter garbage and was
Marking a man young already had for their goal today. In the PL he’s a complete liability and excels at absolutely nothing. Just to put this into perspective Spurs signed Sanchez in the same window for circa £15m more (after he had a great game for Ajax against us in the uefa final). What are our scouts doing??
Only time will tell.....a players worth is valued at the end of their careers, not at the beginning of them.

Johan07

I can't warm up to him.

He must be one of the weakest defenders we've ever had. Physically and mentally.
Victor needs to bulk up a bit. Thats a fair point. To refer to him weak mentally is ignorant though. If anything he is the opposite.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Just to put this into perspective Spurs signed Sanchez in the same window for circa £15m more (after he had a great game for Ajax against us in the uefa final). What are our scouts doing??
The thing is though, we had just played a European final against Ajax where Sanchez had a phenomenal season. His only problem was that he's not that brilliant on the ball, our tactics in the final actually seemed to be to put the focus on 17 year old De Ligt who was already better at playing out from the back and leave Sanchez be. So it's not like our scouts or Mourinho himself didn't know or analyse the player properly.

It's just that with Jones, Rojo, Smalling, and also Bailly we already had loads of physically very strong and agressive defenders and Sanchez has exactly the same profile as them. Lindelof has a very different profile, so Mourinho probably wanted him to give our defense something extra and try to improve our building from the back. All of this is kind of ironic given that our football was still pretty dire last year and Mourinho constantly got accused of not being interested in playing more postive, while in the meanwhile Lindelof is a bit quicker on the ball than all our other defenders yet other than that he's added nothing to our team.

Loublaze

ATLien
Clearly I weren't. Well done on deferring the conversation enough so you don't have to answer. Good news is we can all see it. ;)
No one else gives a fvck but you. You're the only one harping on about assumptions here. Well done.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No one else gives a fvck but you. You're the only one harping on about assumptions here. Well done.
Says the one who brought it up in the first place. Then refused to answer the question to move it on! That hole must be pretty fecking big now.

TheRedDevil95

My beef with Vic is that it seems like his nerves or whatever are preventing him from actually letting his supposed strengths help the team. I would be very forgiving if he played the ball out of the back like Blind but left something to work on in terms of the physical duels with big, strong strikers. That's all right. But he doesn't seem cool on the ball at all. He seems nervous all the time, like he's found himself at a higher level than his talent warrants. He tries a bit more risky passes than Smalling, which is good, but his succes rate is not that good for those passes from what I've seen. And more often than not he's playing just as safe as our other centerbacks.

It's different when he plays for Sweden. His distribution is much better and he seems way more confident on the ball.

Since we basically have to wrap him in cotton wool to make sure he's not exposed (like playing Fella as CB-cover) it's hard to see what we stand to gain from playing him ahead of say Bailly. It might be that the coaching staff can tell he's better in terms of carrying out instructions, taking feedback and fixing mistakes, has a better attitude or whatever. In which case I don't have any problem with the decision to play Lindelöf and Smalling as our number 1 centerbacks. But from what we can see, it's a bit odd he's suddenly in that position.

Loublaze

ATLien
Says the one who brought it up in the first place. Then refused to answer the question to move it on! That hole must be pretty fecking big now.
Yes it is. Im besides myself with shame. Congrats on winning the internet.

Loublaze

ATLien
Cheers. You keep arguing about meaningless shit; you'll get there one day.
Good luck in life with your affinity for making dumbass assumptions. Looking forward to your next jewel drop seeing as you can't help yourself but repeatedly respond to meaningless shit.

Red_toad

That tends to be a good thing for defenders. I thought he did alright today.
I dare say the really good defenders have outstanding moments in every game. Lindelof just goes unnoticed as he genuinely doesn't appear to do that much. I can't think of any decent defender who never makes an impression on a game. The stand out and so they should. Even Rio, who was a sublime defender and made the game look easy, you knew he was on the pitch every time he played. Smalling was outstanding against Watford, his partner was largely anonymous.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Good luck in life with your affinity for making dumbass assumptions. Looking forward to your next jewel drop seeing as you can't help yourself but repeatedly respond to meaningless shit.
I can't. I guess you'll hear a helluva lot from me in the future.

Sylar

It's so weird
Him and smalling are decent together but lindelof himself doesn't look strong, but kinda helps bring out the best in smalling

Weird partnership

Loublaze

ATLien
It's so weird
Him and smalling are decent together but lindelof himself doesn't look strong, but kinda helps bring out the best in smalling

Weird partnership
You'd have no choice but be your absolute best when you're doing the job of two people.

Bobski

You'd have no choice but be your absolute best when you're doing the job of two people.
Say it again but it is probably more to do with predictability of Lindelof's game. You know what to expect from him, weaknesses and all, rarely going to anything totally moronic in the manner of Bailly or Rojo. Lower top end than either of those 2 but a known quantity.

Bola

Been better in the last 2 games, but I suspect this is down to having two defensive midfielders shielding the defence.

Afraid I saw the same problems in terms of a lack of assertivness and the odd brain fart when passing the ball.

I'd rather have TFM or Tunzebe back from loan. A lot more assured.

simplyared

There is a pattern when Lindelöf plays in a CB- partnership. Some posters here have already cottoned on to it. For some reason he brings out the best in his partner. Every time Smalling plays together with Lindelöf, Smalling looks invincible in defence. He wins all the arial battles, makes all the crucial tackles etc etc. And then at the end of the game you wonder where was Lindelöf. The same happened in the world cup when he partnered Granqvist as Sweden's CB duo. Granqvist was doing everything Smalling does when he's paired up with Lindelöf for Utd. What I'm saying is the other CB plays a dominant role and Lindelöf gets unjustifiable credit for it.

Ekeke

There is a pattern when Lindelöf plays in a CB- partnership. Some posters here have already cottoned on to it. For some reason he brings out the best in his partner. Every time Smalling plays together with Lindelöf, Smalling looks invincible in defence. He wins all the arial battles, makes all the crucial tackles etc etc. And then at the end of the game you wonder where was Lindelöf. The same happened in the world cup when he partnered Granqvist as Sweden's CB duo. Granqvist was doing everything Smalling does when he's paired up with Lindelöf for Utd. What I'm saying is the other CB plays a dominant role and Lindelöf gets unjustifiable credit for it.
Well no, Fellaini is helping Smalling win balls in the air more than any partner hes had other than Vidic. Smalling isnt playing better, he's doing what hes always done here.

Grande

Lindelöf vs Watford - 6,5
Good positioning, good passing bar two times, one a bit critical, but made less dangerous mistakes than any of the other in the back seven except Smalling. Performed well in the duels he was in. Little danger arose on his side. Cooperated well with Smalling.

I must question some of the criticism in here today. Watford wins four straight games including Spurs, and have the best home record in 2018. Mourinho puts Fellaini in the holding role to nullify one of Watfords main outlets (Deeney dropping off the back four), we win 2-1 away. Brilliant game plan? No it’s apparently some
Schemento baby-sit Lindelöf (instead of changing him for someone who doesn’t need baby-sitting?) Our only serious problem defensively is Pereyra having a field day with Valencia and Lindgard, and is losing the ball to quickly playing out of midfield in the second half. Their goal comes from Valencia being tricked, Matic error in trying make it offside, and Fellaini making sure it can’t be, falling too deep.this game is not a good stick to beat Lindelöf with, nor does it prove he is going to be the best we can get.

haram

How many games have Smalling and Bailly played together? Who played on the left? Lindelof is playing on the wrong side, rarely does he get to play on the right.

ash_86

I'm not sold on this guy. Should have conceded a free kick on the edge of the box against watford which was not given. He's not built for the premier league. He is a problem and we cannot keep playing him just because we bought him. Cut our losses and move on.

haram

I'm not sold on this guy. Should have conceded a free kick on the edge of the box against watford which was not given. He's not built for the premier league. He is a problem and we cannot keep playing him just because we bought him. Cut our losses and move on.
Jones and Rojo need to leave before Lindelof anyway, he is still young.

ash_86

Jones and Rojo need to leave before Lindelof anyway, he is still young.
Agreed. Jones will get released i suppose and Rojo sold to some turkish side. I don't mind a PL loan for Lindelof but he cannot start for any team aspiring for any trophies yet. Needs to bulk up and start imposing himself.

haram

Agreed. Jones will get released i suppose and Rojo sold to some turkish side. I don't mind a PL loan for Lindelof but he cannot start for any team aspiring for any trophies yet. Needs to bulk up and start imposing himself.
Yeah, I worry for Lindelof physically. I still want to see more of him on the right of a back three as well.

ash_86

Yeah, I worry for Lindelof physically. I still want to see more of him on the right of a back three as well.
Like Smalling Bailly Lindelof ? That's sounds Interesting. Have we ever played it before?

haram

Like Smalling Bailly Lindelof ? That's sounds Interesting. Have we ever played it before?
Watford away last year we played Rojo, Smalling and Lindelof. Rojo left footed on the left, Mike in the middle, Lindelof right footed on the right. Lindelof dealt with Richarlison really well that night. I dont know how many times he has actually played on the right.

I think we did the same vs Arsenal at the Emirates as well.

ash_86

Watford away last year we played Rojo, Smalling and Lindelof. Rojo left footed on the left, Mike in the middle, Lindelof right footed on the right. Lindelof dealt with Richarlison really well that night. I dont know how many times he has actually played on the right.

I think we did the same vs Arsenal at the Emirates as well.
Hmm.. We just have 3 fit CB at the moment and maybe why we don't see 3 at the back. Shame we won't see it for quite a while as i heard Rojo injured himself during the u-23 game.

haram

Hmm.. We just have 3 fit CB at the moment and maybe why we don't see 3 at the back. Shame we won't see it for quite a while as i heard Rojo injured himself during the u-23 game.
We are seeing a sort of hybrid 3 at the back with Fellaini, but even then Lindelof is having to play on the left. Rojo and Jones injury history is a complete joke.

ash_86

We are seeing a sort of hybrid 3 at the back with Fellaini, but even then Lindelof is having to play on the left. Rojo and Jones injury history is a complete joke.
Yes Fellini has been assisting Lindelof past couple of games and doinga good job. But hopefully against a less physical opposition we might want Fred to play the game and have Matic and Pogba alongside him. Those are the games i'm really worried about Lindelof getting exposed. Anyway lets hope the string of games actually helps him adapt.

haram

Scholes also said that Smalling told him he preferred playing with Lindelof over the other CB’s.

17:30

meamth

Lindelof needs to upgrade his core strength. Maybe do some serious shoulder work out or something because he looks too shaky.

Once he gets past that he should be incredible.

Kostov

There was a moment through out the game where he was in a duel with Gray I think, in the middle of the pitch. You could see how aggressive he was trying to be, lounged for the ball and made a mess of it, yet Watford came out of it breaking all out on attack. Standard Lindelof play really, I can't give credit for that performance.

LInkash

Scholes also said that Smalling told him he preferred playing with Lindelof over the other CB’s.

17:30
Oh yes, I mentioned this the other day but didn't remember where I heard about it, was starting to think I had imagined it!

Litch

There was a moment through out the game where he was in a duel with Gray I think, in the middle of the pitch. You could see how aggressive he was trying to be, lounged for the ball and made a mess of it, yet Watford came out of it breaking all out on attack. Standard Lindelof play really, I can't give credit for that performance.
Not sure why people take a forensic look at his game like the examples they are giving aren't applicable to every single CB. There were moments in the game were he won a far about of duels too or certainly was bullied as some thought he would. I watched the again and like I said previously he's not the first player I've seen here that game might not produce highlight reels but game builds the confidence in others to play.

Kostov

Not sure why people take a forensic look at his game like the examples they are giving aren't applicable to every single CB. There were moments in the game were he won a far about of duels too or certainly was bullied as some thought he would. I watched the again and like I said previously he's not the first player I've seen here that game might not produce highlight reels but game builds the confidence in others to play.
Not sure why? Maybe because people just don't trust him after he has made disastrous mistakes before and has yet to show what he brings to the team. CBs just like GK are always going to be judged by their mistakes rather than the good things he will do, because their mistakes often prove very costly. That moment I described is a moment that he usually has every game when he is called upon to actually defend. He struggles in almost every duel. I've said many times before I don't want to write him off, but he doesn't leave much choice, he looks out of his depth.

Revan

Assumptionman
It was the same when he played with Blind (to be fair, I think that Smalling-Blind has been by far the best CB partnership we had in post-Fergie era), and Lindelof is a bit similar to Blind (not as good, but hopefully has a higher potential).

A-man

Not sure why? Maybe because people just don't trust him after he has made disastrous mistakes before and has yet to show what he brings to the team.
You make it sound like he has cost at least ten goals so far this season. I might be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, there isnt even one conceded goal this season after a ‘disastrous mistake’ from him. And to my knowledge none goals conceded because of him losing a duel because he is ‘weak’.
He was ok in the last match. Not amazing, but totally ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.