Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

He isn't as bad as many on here would have you believe. Not world class, nor will he ever be IMO, But he isn't that bad a player either. If he keeps bringing out the best of Smalling then long may he stay in the team.

Kostov

You make it sound like he has cost at least ten goals so far this season. I might be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, there isnt even one conceded goal this season after a ‘disastrous mistake’ from him. And to my knowledge none goals conceded because of him losing a duel because he is ‘weak’.
He was ok in the last match. Not amazing, but totally ok.
If costing 10 goals is the bar to label a CB not good enough, Titus Bramble would be a classifies as a solid defender. Let me put it this way and be pedantic with my memory, he was very shaky against Leicester, Iheanacho caused him problems and we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Against Brighton he lost Murray for the first goal, was lost in no man's land for the second, with no command of that defense, and as a CB that's disastrous for me. The third goal is all marked on Bailly as it should because it was a stupid decisions, but Lindelof again was too far behind and nowhere near the attacker. Against Spurs he basically gifted a goal to Alli if it wasn't for De Gea. And't that's just he mayor incidents that I can remember. His general insecurity is the biggest problem, coming from a CB it's detrimental and it won't pass as a CB here. Attackers have identifies him as weak link, and they target him, it's just a matter of time before he costs us a game again.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Scholes also said that Smalling told him he preferred playing with Lindelof over the other CB’s.
Well yeah... its the best option if you want to look like the best centre back in the world in comparison!

Classical Mechanic

Well yeah... its the best option if you want to look like the best centre back in the world in comparison!
Probably because Jones, Rojo and Bailly all like to be aggressive like Smalling does, they have instincts to go for the same balls. Lindelof likes to do as little as possible, which would be fine if he offered something when playing out of defence but he doesn't.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Probably because Jones, Rojo and Bailly all like to be aggressive like Smalling does, they have instincts to go for the same balls. Lindelof likes to do as little as possible, which would be fine if he offered something when playing out of defence but he doesn't.
Yeah that's probably a better, more serious answer.

Scholes also said that Smalling told him he preferred playing with Lindelof over the other CB’s.

17:30
Makes sense. Smalling likes to go for every ball but he lacks a bit of awareness. If he has another aggressive defender by him they lose track of each other's position. Lindelof is calm and always where Smalling expects him to be. Bailly often charges up the field and Rojo could be anywhere.

A-man

If costing 10 goals is the bar to label a CB not good enough, Titus Bramble would be a classifies as a solid defender. Let me put it this way and be pedantic with my memory, he was very shaky against Leicester, Iheanacho caused him problems and we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Against Brighton he lost Murray for the first goal, was lost in no man's land for the second, with no command of that defense, and as a CB that's disastrous for me. The third goal is all marked on Bailly as it should because it was a stupid decisions, but Lindelof again was too far behind and nowhere near the attacker. Against Spurs he basically gifted a goal to Alli if it wasn't for De Gea. And't that's just he mayor incidents that I can remember. His general insecurity is the biggest problem, coming from a CB it's detrimental and it won't pass as a CB here. Attackers have identifies him as weak link, and they target him, it's just a matter of time before he costs us a game again.
In summary no goals because of disastrous mistakes. The only goal which was clearly his was Murray’s, but that was not because of a disastrous mistake. All the other goals you mention, I could really see other players being more guilty than him. Bailly’s penalty was not just the poor judgement and poor execution, it was also Bailly being in the wrong place to destroy the offside trap.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In summary no goals because of disastrous mistakes. The only goal which was clearly his was Murray’s, but that was not because of a disastrous mistake. All the other goals you mention, I could really see other players being more guilty than him. Bailly’s penalty was not just the poor judgement and poor execution, it was also Bailly being in the wrong place to destroy the offside trap.
That's a bit short-sighted though isn't it?

I mean you could have a player who gifts the opposition 5 chances per game through silly mistakes, but then if the keeper saves them all, then there would also be no goals conceded through disastrous mistakes... so in that case would it be a good idea to keep playing that defender?

Denis79

He looked good enough in the Swedish national team, but then again he was shielded by 4 midfielders because of Swedens hyper-defensive tactics, also his job in the national team was to clear the ball to anywhere at first touch. Here he's supposed to hold his own in a sense. He's not a bad player nor a good one, unfortunately for him we really don't need more mediocre players in the squad.

Kostov

Well it's been 5 games and I never said we conceded to those disastrous mistakes, he was lucky we didn't get punished vs Spurs for example, but in 4-5 games he has made enough mistakes so people will doubt him. Conceding a goal due to losing his man was a bad enough mistake against Brighton, and what offside trap are you talking when Brighton were on a fast brake and Bailly was caught between two Brighton attackers, Bailly was right to follow through the one between him and Young, since Young was out of position, Lindelof should have been closer to the attacker running behind his partner. That does not erase the blame from Bailly, it was a stupid mistake lounging in like that, but if he didn't and they scored from that, it would have been just as much on Lindelof, as it is on Bailly. On the second goal he just stands in the middle of the box with no idea what's happening, that coming from a CB is pathetic for me.

He was shaky against Leicester and Spurs also.

A-man

That's a bit short-sighted though isn't it?

I mean you could have a player who gifts the opposition 5 chances per game through silly mistakes, but then if the keeper saves them all, then there would also be no goals conceded through disastrous mistakes... so in that case would it be a good idea to keep playing that defender?
Of course but this was about costly mistakes. Not mistakes that potentially could lead to a goal. Sure, the poor pass to DDG was a big mistake, not arguing about that. There are a lot of areas where he needs to improve, just don’t understand why people try to fabricate more, non-valid arguments against their own players. He just played a decent match, got 6-7 in most papers, but people try to come up with all kinds of anecdotal supported arguments why he really wasn’t good enough.

Anyway, Mourinho seems to believe he is good enough to start for United and it is a big chance that Smalling /Lindelof will start more matches together, despite all experts here.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Lindelof's looked OK in the last few games. It's by no means a ringing endorsement but I'd like to see more him in the coming matches, see if he can grow into the position.

A-man

Well it's been 5 games and I never said we conceded to those disastrous mistakes, he was lucky we didn't get punished vs Spurs for example, but in 4-5 games he has made enough mistakes so people will doubt him. Conceding a goal due to losing his man was a bad enough mistake against Brighton, and what offside trap are you talking when Brighton were on a fast brake and Bailly was caught between two Brighton attackers, Bailly was right to follow through the one between him and Young, since Young was out of position, Lindelof should have been closer to the attacker running behind his partner. That does not erase the blame from Bailly, it was a stupid mistake lounging in like that, but if he didn't and they scored from that, it would have been just as much on Lindelof, as it is on Bailly. On the second goal he just stands in the middle of the box with no idea what's happening, that coming from a CB is pathetic for me.

He was shaky against Leicester and Spurs also.
IMO, Bailly screwed up the offside in that situation. For the second goal, it was a messy situation with most people out of position, what you call no mans land was a likely place for a shot. It is exaggerated to blame particulary him in for that goal.

Kostov

IMO, Bailly screwed up the offside in that situation. For the second goal, it was a messy situation with most people out of position, what you call no mans land was a likely place for a shot. It is exaggerated to blame particulary him in for that goal.
Bailly screwed up for that goal, but not an offside trap that built itself in 2 seconds while his partner is following a runner behind his full back. For the second I mostly blame both of the CBs for the mess firstly, than it was chaos and Lindelof is found standing in the second line instead in front of the GK, like the CB should be doing. It is exaggerated but bot of them deserved every slack they got.

Web of Bissaka

Still too soft and kind to opposing attackers. I can see he's getting tougher in dealing them, but not enough yet.

Is Mourinho gambling on him to improve throughout this season? Especially since out of our 5 current CBs, he's the only one that is often injury free available.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Lindelof's looked OK in the last few games. It's by no means a ringing endorsement but I'd like to see more him in the coming matches, see if he can grow into the position.
I think he's had the benefit of Smalling and Fellaini both covering for his deficiencies in the air, we'll have to see how he does when Fellaini isn't playing in that role. One thing I'd desperately like to see from him is actually passing the ball forward for a change, I'm convinced that every time he gets the ball it's straight back to DDG.

Sylar

Im hoping if he makes a big mistake, hes not dropped for Jones or something. Id like to see if he can bounce back from it rather than changing and chopping our CBs.

Id like to see him drive more with the ball too. Occupy the free space ahead of him allowing our midfielders to push forward further to opposition goal and get closer to our attackers.

ash_86

Why can't it happen here? We have enough games in the season and our CB 's are injury prone.
Cause we should be aspiring for better players. None of the games he started for us made me think he's the real deal. For Eg. when DDG came in and had flappy hands , we could still see the potential he had. So it was worth sticking with him though he made the defense nervous. I don't see that with Lindelof to be honest. He could become better , but is he a top top talent worth waiting for to realize his potential? Not for me. Anyway , we have him as a option and lets make the most of it.

Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd

Bobski

Much better tonight. had a tricky spell in the middle of the first half but came through it well and was one of the few players who did not seem to be struggling with the pitch, either in his own movement or use of the ball. Looked smooth and composed, even with the midfield struggling badly early on and leaving the defense exposed.

Zoo

Composed game again, good positioning and dealt with everything he had to. Even went on a foray forward which hopefully he’ll start to show more.

SirAF

Ageist
I REALLY like him, I’m just a little bit iffy about him in the air.

Ban

He reads the game very well but still too weak in some duels. He's growing into his role though and had a decent game. We should stick with this CB combo.

Trollholken

Solid today. Showed a bit more confidence carrying the ball forward. Hopefully the partnership with Smalling will continue to consolidate

Mcking

We were apparantly going to concede loads with Fellaini not there to babysit him imfao

kundalini

Get him in the gym. Teach him how to compete in physical duels. Then we might have a good central defender.

Ekeke

I'd give him a 7/10 today. 6.5 for his defending which was mostly fine but he did get beaten for 1 header that went wide. But I'd give him another .5 for 2 attempted adventurous passes, 1 that created a chance for Martial and another long ball with his left foot that caused some problems too. Would like to see him try that a couple more times per game and of course, improve a bit in the air.

Ekeke

We were apparantly going to concede loads with Fellaini not there to babysit him imfao
Different type of matches. Fellaini was in previous because those teams were known to be putting the ball in the air.

Today none of our players won over 3 aerial duels, which is great conditions for Lindelof who looks far more comfortable with the ball on the floor.

MadMike

I REALLY like him, I’m just a little bit iffy about him in the air.
He's a bit more than iffy in the air. But his positioning is generally good, he reads the game well most of the times and he's comfy on the ball. He's got some good attributes.

He just gets beaten in a lot of the physical or aerial duels, that's my main worry. I don't think he'll ever make a top EPL centre back due to that. If he makes a decent one that will do for now, let's be honest.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Against poor opposition he looks average, against anyone decent he looks crap. I am still thinking we scouted the wrong player.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We might get away with him starting against weaker opposition for now but that second centre back spot alongside Smalling clearly needs improving as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.