Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Perfect performance from him. I think he'll grow into the commanding leader we need. Let's sign someone to play next to him, keep Smalling and Bailly for backup, and sell Rojo and Jones.

I agree that he hasn’t progressed to that level. But he’s our best defender when compared to the current squad and when talking about actual defending
I'm really not so sure, and, anyway, would still offload him, along with Jones and Rojo. Just my opinion, but I think we all agree we need major surgery at centre back.

LoveFootball

Bailly is our worst centre back for me.

Jones/Smalling and Lindelof can stay. Still need to see more from Victor. I don’t know if he is United quality.
Jones was awful today.

Bailly will come good, give him time, he was good in La Liga, very good indeed. Remember his 1st months with us before Mourinho and injuries sucked out his confident.

Lindelof was very good today but blame him for that Alli's shot thought.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's not responsible for the whole defensive unit. Not sure we'd have conceded 3 or 4 as we were defending the lead. If Spurs had scored to level it up, I'm sure our attitude would have been different in response...

Nothing positive to say about his performance then?
He played well but isn't the long term solution IMO..

Aloysius's Back 3

He has improved - but he always seems 10% behind the process of understanding where to position himself.

I want an defender that is a step ahead of the attackers & is able to read the game - enabling us to have a relative stability in defence.

Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Lindelof are all defenders that are too reactionary for me - they defend after the attack has happened.

Smalling on the other hand is a step ahead; normally making it harder for the attackers to attack what so ever. Not my favourite or anything - just the signs I see in our defence when he plays vs everyone else.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He’s massively improved but imho we need better, he was saved by DDG on quite a few occasions today.

Litch

Great game and generally the only time Kane was a threat was when he was up against Jones. For me proved the doubters absolutely wrong when they talk about him being weak and having no pace. Like said, this lads been turning in these performances for a long time now but for some on here, they struggle to give him any credit for if nothing else having the balls not to fade away after a poor start (like others have before him) and to prove he has the mental strength and self belief to be a Manchester Utd player, at one of the worst times to join this football club....

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The defence was very underwhelming today. A clean sheet is a combination of De Gea, luck and Spurs finishing.

Acole9

Outstanding
Bailly has no business being first choice anything.
I agree, Bailly's time has come and gone. Too much of a liability, had a good start to his career at United but fizzled out very quick like Darmian.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to official stats he was best on the pitch in the air. Won 3 lost 0.

To be fair Tottenham could easily have conceded a few more goals as well.
We have a very dangerous attack so scoring afew more against Spurs wouldn't have been a surprise.

Litch

Had DDG not made them saves, the tone in this thread would've been very different.
Each to their own I guess but there's a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in football. Not sure what long term is anymore in football but currently, it's others that have been here a lot longer will be worrying about their utd career and not him....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Each to their own I guess but there's a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in football. Not sure what long term is anymore in football but currently, it's others that have been here a lot longer will be worrying about their utd career and not him....
I agree..

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The defence was very underwhelming today. A clean sheet is a combination of De Gea, luck and Spurs finishing.
A bit simplistic. They never had a shot on goal first half. Alamo stuff second half alright, but that was a team thing, not just defence. Phil struggled but I thought Lindelof was excellent.

dutchred

once Smalling is fit I would like to them have a few games together. Smalling is excellent in the air and i think they could form a good partnership

davidmichael

Lindelof has look really good since the Juve game so for this season Lindelof/Smalling has to be first choice and then sign a first choice partner for Lindelof with Smalling and Tuanzebe as back up and maybe sign Jones to a pay as you play contract but sell Darmian, Bailly and Rojo.

Ban

Fair enough, we agree we need changes as we go forward, but we just have a difference of opinion on Smalling. Personally I would prefer to keep Bailly instead, provided he can stay fit, but, if not, I would have Smalling ahead of Jones until we can recruit better. :)
I dont see Bailly making it. Injuries and his play is too crazy and erratic.
Not to mention an interesting heading tactic.

dutchred

But can Smalling play to the left?
Which of Rio and Vidic was left Footed? Which of Bruce and Pallister was left footed? It's a question of reading the game. I think Victor is good enough to play on the left of Smalling

A-man

Which of Rio and Vidic was left Footed? Which of Bruce and Pallister was left footed? It's a question of reading the game. I think Victor is good enough to play on the left of Smalling
Agree, and some of his best matches from a defensive POV were to the left. But more or less all his good matches where he has stepped up, taken initiative, played the ball, dribbled etc, are to the right. And it is those features that could make him a top player in the future.

Copa Mundial

Decent performance but let’s not get carried away. De Gea rescued him several times today.
This +1

The love in for Lindelof's performance today is OTT in my opinion.

It seems all the saves Dave made were down to Jones' errors whilst Lindelof had a blinder.

At times both of our centre halves were taken to the cleaners today, (not just Jones) and the defense was bailed out by a combination of brilliant goalkeeping and poor finishing.

For me Lindelof's performance was ok, but it certainly wasn't outstanding.

Reactions: Sultan

Jeffthered

You're kidding. We just played a very, very, very good Spurs team. And we are still finding a rhythm, these are not Ole's players ok. We defended well, of course Spurs missed chances, what would you expect? Lindeholf was superb today, all over Kane. I hope he can grow from this. Young was a superb captain, Matic, Herrera.. worked their socks off.

Give us time. We have had a few years of a lot of crap. We rode our luck, and DDG was superb. Although... Spurs finishing wasn't great. But I'll take all that. We earned our luck. Spurs were excellent, but we earned our luck.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
His aerial game is rubbish, don't dissapear when he gets exposed..
Your bias is pretty apparent. When you see something that can be disproven with hard info, you might want to rethink.

Copa Mundial

You're kidding. We just played a very, very, very good Spurs team. And we are still finding a rhythm, these are not Ole's players ok. We defended well, of course Spurs missed chances, what would you expect? Lindeholf was superb today, all over Kane. I hope he can grow from this. Young was a superb captain, Matic, Herrera.. worked their socks off.

Give us time. We have had a few years of a lot of crap. We rode our luck, and DDG was superb. Although... Spurs finishing wasn't great. But I'll take all that. We earned our luck. Spurs were excellent, but we earned our luck.
How can anyone say we defended well when our goalkeeper made more saves in one half than any other goalkeeper has made in an entire game this premiership season?

That stat does not imply a solid defensive performance in my book.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Kane had 7 shots on goal. Very likely some sort of record.

A-man

How can anyone say we defended well when our goalkeeper made more saves in one half than any other goalkeeper has made in an entire game this premiership season?

That stat does not imply a solid defensive performance in my book.
It was a little of a wild and offensive match. DDG made four saves more than Lloris, remember that. And I know lots of United supporters love Vertongen and Alderweireld more than their own players, but to me they did not have a clue what to do with Martial and Rashford in first half.

Adcuth

Does his improvement have much to do with moving across to the right side of the pairing do we think? Or just the way the team is set up now?

Foxbatt

A lot of those saves had got to do with our midfield not been able to stop those chances being created. I think only the Ali chances was due to Lindelof.

Status
Not open for further replies.