Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sylar

He went down the tunnel right? Assuming he got a knock and couldn't continue
Hopefully he will be back after the international break

criticalanalysis

Started the game like he was injured and came off like he had an injury.

So passive and poor with his closing down and usage of the ball. Did 'ok' after that but it's a really low bar.

ArmaDino

He should be starting ahead of Varane next to Martinez. He is everything the Frenchman is minus the injuries and slightly better ball player as well.

PoTMS

Was he injured? He better have been fecking injured. Losing him was the reason we lost this game.

Gandalf

Yes, that something tells us of your football opinion, if you think that's true. That's fine though, it's yours to own.
Meant as in best of a bad bunch right now. We have conceded 7 in our first 4 games and if our opponents were not so wasteful it could be double that. We needed at least 1 and probably 2 top class CBs this summer and instead we messed around and then ended up signing Johnny fecking Evans on a free. At least next season we won't need to worry about midweek games and perhaps the drop in revenue from missing Europe will finally persaude the Glazers to cash in and feck off.

Irwin99

Thought he was pretty good aside from the woeful yellow card incident. Big loss if he's out with Varane and Martinez injured too.

criticalanalysis

Meant as in best of a bad bunch right now. We have conceded 7 in our first 4 games and if our opponents were not so wasteful it could be double that. We needed at least 1 and probably 2 top class CBs this summer and instead we messed around and then ended up signing Johnny fecking Evans on a free. At least next season we won't need to worry about midweek games and perhaps the drop in revenue from missing Europe will finally persaude the Glazers to cash in and feck off.
Unless I've got it wrong, you think Lindelof is our best CB ahead of Varane and Martinez?

The same Lindelof today that had time on the ball after Onana and Martinez drew the press dozens of times and not once did he drive with the ball or make a forward progressive pass in the first half. Instead he consistently took the ball on his back foot and preceded to go back where it came. The same Lindelof that waited for a ball to go out for a throw in and was generally very passive with his defensive output? Go look at the play directly before the penalty incident and see his 'pressing'.

Other than that I agree we need another CB. Martinez' injury situation is an outlier for now but we always knew about Varane and expecting Lindelof to hold the forte after what we've seen of him of for the past 5-6 years is just mental. He's always been someone, who flatters to deceive because of his non-committal/pass the responsibility style. A few decent blocks and headers in the box don't change that.

always_hoping

Thought he was pretty good aside from the woeful yellow card incident. Big loss if he's out with Varane and Martinez injured too.
Was having a good game, so lose him,Martinez to injury during the game and Varane before it is some bout of bad luck.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

That yellow card incident was just comically bad :lol:

Good apart from that.
It really shows why we can be so bad. Because even if he thought the ball was going out, a “proper” team would be trying to restart as soon as possible. So he should have been jogging faster to the ball anyway.

Gordon S

He was feeling ill apparently, so not an injury, good news

jesperjaap

He should be starting ahead of Varane next to Martinez. He is everything the Frenchman is minus the injuries and slightly better ball player as well.
Really? The backing of Lindelof really baffles me. Personally thought it quite apt when he went off that JOhnny Evans came on for him, as that is how I see Lindelof, he is like Evans was here a decade ago.

Remarkably average all round with quite a few flaws as well. He has actually improved his physicality the last year or so, but he isnt great on crosses or in the air, he gets bullied b physical players, isnt great against pace and the most over rated part of his game is the perception he is good on the ball, he is only capable of playing the simple pass msot of the time even when a relatively easy progressive one is on.

Its all opinions of course, I totally disagree with yours though and personally feel our failure to sign a proper centre back that does actually challenge Varane and is good cover for him when injured, will be costly for us this season as for me Lindelof isnt that player and its only how utterly dreadful Bailly and Maguire have been that he has survived so long, for me despite the performances both are better centre backs than Lindelof let alone Varane

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He is absolutely capable of playing good progressive passes.
We have seen loads of examples of accurate long passes from him.
He doesn’t do them enough though or them passes straight into midfield which Martinez makes. We now have a runner upfront in Hojlund so it will be good to see him try and find him from time to time.

Gordon S

He doesn’t do them enough though or them passes straight into midfield which Martinez makes. We now have a runner upfront in Hojlund so it will be good to see him try and find him from time to time.
Only a YT comp but it still shows a bunch of forward passes absolutely spot on. Up there with both Martinez and Varane imo in this aspect.

FerociousCorgis

dude needs to be healthy after the international break. Both him and martinez have to start every game until varane and shaw are back healthy or else we gonna be in trouble

ArmaDino

Really? The backing of Lindelof really baffles me. Personally thought it quite apt when he went off that JOhnny Evans came on for him, as that is how I see Lindelof, he is like Evans was here a decade ago.

Remarkably average all round with quite a few flaws as well. He has actually improved his physicality the last year or so, but he isnt great on crosses or in the air, he gets bullied b physical players, isnt great against pace and the most over rated part of his game is the perception he is good on the ball, he is only capable of playing the simple pass msot of the time even when a relatively easy progressive one is on.

Its all opinions of course, I totally disagree with yours though and personally feel our failure to sign a proper centre back that does actually challenge Varane and is good cover for him when injured, will be costly for us this season as for me Lindelof isnt that player and its only how utterly dreadful Bailly and Maguire have been that he has survived so long, for me despite the performances both are better centre backs than Lindelof let alone Varane
I was talking based on current form. Varane has been on the decline for a while now and is starting to lose his hunger as well. Lindelof right now is a better option as he is more mobile and a better progressor of the ball. Not saying he is the solution long term mind you. That would have been Kim Min Jae, but we have a board full of idiots.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was talking based on current form. Varane has been on the decline for a while now and is starting to lose his hunger as well. Lindelof right now is a better option as he is more mobile and a better progressor of the ball. Not saying he is the solution long term mind you. That would have been Kim Min Jae, but we have a board full of idiots.
Huh? Unless you’re a member of the United coaching team you have no clue about that
Varane is without doubt our best CB when fit. The question is how many games can he manage in a season

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think Lindelöf as the more passive defender has been quietly going about his work for the last few years. I like him and think he’s a very decent squad player. He’s always ready to come in and do his part and hold things together. He’s usually fit and seems like a decent sort that won’t complain.

I’d rather someone more aggressively knocking on the door to oust Varane, someone more physical and vocal on the pitch but he’s a good player for his status in the squad. I don’t get why people constantly bash on good squad players as the reason we aren’t winning, players who are happy to come in and give it their all when called upon. It’s a squad game. The main problem we have is that Varane probably the highest paid defender in the league (world?) is always injured.

jesperjaap

Reakky cant agree with majority of this. Varane is obviously in decline as he is picking up injuries and seems unable to play consecutive games over any period, cant disagree with that part of the response....I mean lets be honest we knew this was a potential problem when we signed him.

But when he did play last season it was his best performances since he has been here and for quite a while, his partnership with Martinez was a bedrock of our success until the injuries to both.

How are you seeing Lindleof as a more progressive passer or even more mobile? Lindelof isnt quick over distance, acceleratio or reading the game. I am sure someone will come up with laoded stats but he looks far behin Varane in that regard and Varanes passing is crisp and accurate, moves the ball quickly, I see Lindelof bar the foot over the ball nonense of Maguire...almost as ponderous.

But seeing this thread, just go back to my original statement, really am baffled by the support of Lindelof. How many seasons has he been here now? In that period, how many games can you remember him putting in a fantastic performance? I dont think it is in double figures over tht period? There have been a lot of poor ones and the rest of tha majority are 6 out of 10s if generous.

That in itself wouldnt be so bad, I mean we have had valuable players like that before O'Shea, Berg, May etc etc....but we are not talking about a current side of Pallister/Bruce Stam/JOhnsen Vidic/Ferdinand where the players are in there peaks and seem solid and not suffering many injuries. We are talking about a centre back partnership where somebody is probably from evidence going to be starting 20+ games a season and 6 out of 10 especially when the partner may not be fit, doesnt cut it.

For me Lindelof is a player that is a godo 4th choice option.....we seem to have two 4th choice optios.....and a years contract to onebarely good enough now to be a 5th choice, there simply is no 3rd choice for the right sided spot that is good enough and it is going to cost us valuable points this season

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Dude was really poor and this performance is allowed to slide because we’d rather put up with him than allow his deputy an Avenue in.

Rossa

One thing is how absolutely atrocious his defending and passing was, but when caught out of position or losing the ball he hardly broke into a jog. I can’t believe players are allowed to do that - not sprinting back in defense. Same travesty with McTominay.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Felt like he was back to the Linedlof of old yesterday - timid, not aggressive, backing-off etc... was really disappointing to see.

Idxomer

He is reverting to type because his position in the squad can't be affected anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nah - he was defending much better when he came in at the back-end of last year. Even @golden_blunder gave him credit on the odd occassion.
I was but thinking back it was either to support an inform Varane or Martinez. This season Varane is injured already and Martinez to me hasn’t yet hit the form he was in pre-injury. I don’t think Lindelof is good coming in to support in those scenarios. He needs others to be on top of their game in order for him to find his.

Last edited:

GueRed

He's the Goldenboy in the fanbase.

Always gets a free pass whilst others take the heat.