Victor Osimhen - £74m Napoli Signing

astracrazy

But he isn't.

"We reserve the right to take legal action and any useful initiative to protect Victor," Calenda wrote on X.

"What happened today on Napoli's official profile on the TikTok platform is not acceptable.

"A video mocking Victor was first made public and then, but now belatedly, deleted. A serious fact that causes very serious damage to the player and adds to the treatment that the boy is suffering in the last period between media trials and fake news."

There was only one video posted that day and it was the penalty miss.
The coconut one wasn't posted by the Napoli account anyway, was it?
Ok this has to be the answer then. Otherwise I fail to see how he'd find the penalty miss one offensive but not he coconut one.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's fine and all but we don't have the funds to pay £120M+ for another player with our current or Ratcliffe ownership, the Osimhen ship has sailed for us.

We've backed Rasmus for £80M and if we want competition it's for our scouts/future DoF to finally do their jobs and find a worthy talent that won't cost us an arm and a leg.

garelo

We should be looking for another striker regardless of how hojlund performs but it would be better if we looking for another type of striker instead of another no. 9.

Appletonred

Any ambitious club that wants to challenge for honours would be interested in this guy, unfortunately, the reality is we are not that club anymore.

zaafi

Biggest club in the world aren't we? Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea all linked...
He is a good striker, but he isn't worth that. I'm confident Højlund will be better than him at his age.

I know we shouldn't be relying on a 20 year old to carry us, but we're just not a top team anymore and we've got a long way to go.

cyberman

Any ambitious club that wants to challenge for honours would be interested in this guy, unfortunately, the reality is we are not that club anymore.
So nobody is ambitious since he’s still in Napoli?
The tweet literally says we were interested in him

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is a good striker, but he isn't worth that. I'm confident Højlund will be better than him at his age.

I know we shouldn't be relying on a 20 year old to carry us, but we're just not a top team anymore and we've got a long way to go.
Not sure anyone should be confident Hojlund will be better.

Thats seriously underrating how good Osimhen actually is right now

Redstain

United won't be in the market for this level of signing in the future. The club's crippled by FFP, the ownership situation is seemingly worse as the Glazers will continue to withdraw dividends.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
United won't be in the market for this level of signing in the future. The club's crippled by FFP, the ownership situation is seemingly worse as the Glazers will continue to withdraw dividends.
Even if you had the money to spend, you're not going to be so going for a starting CF anyway. I'd imagine if Martial leaves you'll be looking for someone as backup for Rasmus and that ain't gonna be this guy.

zaafi

Not sure anyone should be confident Hojlund will be better.

Thats seriously underrating how good Osimhen actually is right now
Osimhen is almost 25 and has had one good season in Napoli, although he has started this season very good.

Osimhen has one clear stand out quality, which is his aerial ability. I don't think people really know what kind of striker Osimhen is. He benefits a lot from having Kvaratskhelia on his left and Politano on right who are both great crossers and constantly look to supply him. If they're not able to, they struggle and he barely sees the ball. He will not create by himself. He is a bit like Højlund and Haaland in how they rely on service to score, except I think Højlund has actually shown a lot in terms of linking up with his team mates and hold-up play.

Osimhen struggles with link-up and working with his team mates, which are actual quotes from Spalletti.

One thing is certain and that is that Højlund has far more obvious qualities than Osimhen at 20.

Redstain

Even if you had the money to spend, you're not going to be so going for a starting CF anyway. I'd imagine if Martial leaves you'll be looking for someone as backup for Rasmus and that ain't gonna be this guy.
That's not what was voiced from journalists familiar with the club, the reports when Hojlund was signed was that Ten Hag saw him as a long term prospect. That view could obviously change depending on his impact. The bottom line is United didn't move for any high profile striker because the money wasn't there. Glazers veto the Kane move, there wasn't the resources to move for Osimhen. It was Kolo-Muani or Hojlund due to the limitation of funds.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That's not what was voiced from journalists familiar with the club, the reports when Hojlund was signed was that Ten Hag saw him as a long term prospect. That view could obviously change depending on his impact. The bottom line is United didn't move for any high profile striker because the money wasn't there. Glazers veto the Kane move, there wasn't the resources to move for Osimhen. It was Kolo-Muani or Hojlund due to the limitation of funds.
I'm not talking about why you signed Rasmus, I'm talking about what you're going to be looking for now that you have him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The tweet basically says we are/were interested in him though? Napoli just didn’t want to sell last season (unless someone stumped up crazy money). Now affordability might be an issue due to FFP.

Redstain

I'm not talking about why you signed Rasmus, I'm talking about what you're going to be looking for now that you have him.
Subsequently there's no way to measure that, if he doesn't hit the ground running or if the team continue to fail to put away chances then it's open for debate. The potential reshaping of the hierarchy could see a DOF come in and deem it a priority position. There's no way to unequivocally determine if United will not sign a player ahead of Rasmus to lead the front line, there's not enough traction with a 20 year old signing who's in his first season to determine the immediate future. What I'm certain of is regardless if the club approach a player in a summer window it won't be Oshimen due the club's resources.

The Original

Osimhen is almost 25 and has had one good season in Napoli, although he has started this season very good.

Osimhen has one clear stand out quality, which is his aerial ability. I don't think people really know what kind of striker Osimhen is. He benefits a lot from having Kvaratskhelia on his left and Politano on right who are both great crossers and constantly look to supply him. If they're not able to, they struggle and he barely sees the ball. He will not create by himself. He is a bit like Højlund and Haaland in how they rely on service to score, except I think Højlund has actually shown a lot in terms of linking up with his team mates and hold-up play.

Osimhen struggles with link-up and working with his team mates, which are actual quotes from Spalletti.

One thing is certain and that is that Højlund has far more obvious qualities than Osimhen at 20.

That's obviously not true. Osimhen at 20 was top scorer in Belgium. Has Hojlund ever had a double-digit goal scoring season anywhere?

Over the last three seasons in Napoli, starting from 2020/21, Osimhen has scored

10 in 30
18 in 32
31 in 39

His first season in Napoli wasn't excellent but it was decent enough for a first season. His next one certainly was goo even if not in an exceptional way. And obviously his last was indeed exceptional.

But before that Osimhen at 20 was top scorer in the Jupiler League and shortly after scored 16 goals in Ligue 1.

Has Hojlund shown anything like this at any point at all??

Also here is a video of nearly all his goals for Lille. Let me know how many headed goals you can count:

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He doesn't have one standout ability and hes also has had more than one standout season.

I think Hojlund can be great but we need to see more before saying he can reach that level

zaafi

Thats obviously not true. Osimhen at 20 was top scorer in Belgium. Has Hojlund ever had a double goal scoring season anywhere?

Over the last three seasons in Napoli, starting from 2020/21, Osimhen has scored

10 in 31
18 in 30
31 in 39

His first season in Napoli wasn't excellent but it was decent enough for a first season. His next one certainly was goo even if not in an exceptional way. And obviously his last was indeed exceptional.

But before that Osimhen at 20 was top scorer in the Jupiler League and shortly after scored 16 goals in Ligue 1.

Has Hojlund shown anything like this at any point at all??
What? Osimhen scored 12 goals in the Belgian league, a league where Lukaku scored more at the age of 16. It's not really impressive at all. Osimhen also scored 13 goals in Ligue 1, not 16.

Scoring 10 and 14 goals in the Serie A isn't good for a striker at all. They play against the likes of Hellas Verona, Salernitana, Empoli, Cagliari etc, so while neither Osimhen nor Højlund's goal scoring was impressive at a young age, it is the combination of Højlund's abilities that make him the striker with highest potential for me.

There's more to a striker's potential than how many goals they score, you know. Højlund has 3 CL goals in 2 games, for instance, almost 4 but it was just offside. Another goal that was ruled out in the PL, as well. I'm not saying he has scored as many goals as Osimhen, obviously. I'm saying that he has more to his game than Osimhen at 20, and if he follows this progression, I think he will be a better striker than Osimhen.

zaafi

He doesn't have one standout ability and hes also has had more than one standout season.

I think Hojlund can be great but we need to see more before saying he can reach that level
I just think Højlund has more to his game than Osimhen had at 20. There is 5 years between them and it is not unlikely at all that Højlund will be just as good, but my guess is he'll be better. We've seen his ability, and his qualities were evident even at Atalanta. He is a very natural striker with great instincts.

The Original

What? Osimhen scored 12 goals in the Belgian league, a league where Lukaku scored more at the age of 16. It's not really impressive at all. Osimhen also scored 13 goals in Ligue 1, not 16.

Scoring 10 and 14 goals in the Serie A isn't good for a striker at all. They play against the likes of Hellas Verona, Salernitana, Empoli, Cagliari etc, so while neither Osimhen nor Højlund's goal scoring was impressive at a young age, it is the combination of Højlund's abilities that make him the striker with highest potential for me.

There's more to a striker's potential than how many goals they score, you know. Højlund has 3 CL goals in 2 games, for instance, almost 4 but it was just offside. Another goal that was ruled out in the PL, as well. I'm not saying he has scored as many goals as Osimhen, obviously. I'm saying that he has more to his game than Osimhen at 20, and if he follows this progression, I think he will be a better striker than Osimhen.
I was conflating season totals there, point taken. Still, you said, Hojlund has shown more at a comparable age so the question is even at what you call Osimhen's unimpressive goal-scoring levels, when has Hojlund had a season comparably unimpressive?

Okay, leaving that argument, what exactly are these abilities that you see in Hojlund?

MassVolto

Supports
Milan

A lot of what you're claiming is simply just not true at all which makes me really doubt that you've actually seen either Hojlund play in Italy&Austria or Osimhen when he first good the worlds attention at the U17 WC in 2015 when we won the golden ball(Where was Hojlund at that age? Exactly) or later in his career in Belgium&France were he showed a lot more promise than what Hojlund did in Austria.

For your information Osimhen is 24*, Politano is not a good crosser, Kvara has less than 10 assists direct assists to Osimhen(Osimhen has scored 65 times) Osimhen can score from any angle or with his back turn towards the goal.

Last edited:

zaafi

A lot of what you're claiming is simply just not true at all which makes me really doubt that you've actually seen either Hojlund play in Italy&Austria or Osimhen when he first good the worlds attention at the U17 WC in 2015 when we won the golden ball(Where was Hojlund at that age? Exactly) or later in his career in Belgium&France were he showed a lot more promise than what Hojlund did in Austria.

For your information Osimhen is 24*, Politano is not a good crosser, Kvara has less than 10 assists direct assists to Osimhen(Osimhen has scored 65 times) Osimhen can score from any angle or with his back turn towards the goal.
I know he is 24, that's why I said Osimhen is almost 25 (December). I don't think U17 is very relevant at all. Where was Lewandowski at 17? Or Falcao, van Persie, van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Cavani, Luis Suarez etc? There isn't a correlation between doing well in youth tournaments and how successful you're going to be as a professional football player.

Those goals from "all angles" you're talking about is mostly due to keepers' positioning. Look at the goals. It is absolutely ridiculous and some of the worst goalkeeping I've ever seen from professional goalkeepers. He would not score goals like that in Premier League, that's for sure. I'd like you to show me some goals that he scored with his back turned to goal if you can.

zaafi

I was conflating season totals there, point taken. Still, you said, Hojlund has shown more at a comparable age so the question is even at what you call Osimhen's unimpressive goal-scoring levels, when has Hojlund had a season comparably unimpressive?

Okay, leaving that argument, what exactly are these abilities that you see in Hojlund?
Extreme pace, physicality, hold-up play for his age, his willingness to link up with his team mates and run into channels, surprisingly decent dribbler for someone his size, shot power, but most importantly, I think he has extremely good movement and natural instincts that remind me of Cavani. If he can get the combination of these qualities to click and improve each aspect with experience, he will be an excellent striker and a defender's nightmare.
He has already improved since arriving here, and has already shown to be a handful against some of the best defenders in the league.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
I know he is 24, that's why I said Osimhen is almost 25 (December). I don't think U17 is very relevant at all. Where was Lewandowski at 17? Or Falcao, van Persie, van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Cavani, Luis Suarez etc? There isn't a correlation between doing well in youth tournaments and how successful you're going to be as a professional football player.

Those goals from "all angles" you're talking about is mostly due to keepers' positioning. Look at the goals. It is absolutely ridiculous and some of the worst goalkeeping I've ever seen from professional goalkeepers. He would not score goals like that in Premier League, that's for sure. I'd like you to show me some goals that he scored with his back turned to goal if you can.
The players you just mention were all huge talents and key players for their national youth sides with individual awards to prove it(-Drogba). Højlund has largely been unconvincing throughout his whole youth career you didn't know who he was a year ago, admit it.

Osimhen has a natural killer instinct which makes it hard for the goalkeepers to read where his shots will go. His finishing ability is up there with the best while Højlund is currently two levels below that. I rest my case.

Dragam

The players you just mention were all huge talents and key players for their national youth sides with individual awards to prove it(-Drogba). Højlund has largely been unconvincing throughout his whole youth career you didn't know who he was a year ago, admit it.

Osimhen has a natural killer instinct which makes it hard for the goalkeepers to read where his shots will go. His finishing ability is up there with the best while Højlund is currently two levels below that. I rest my case.
Except that osimhen has a lower accuracy %, and lower convertion rate - osimhen just shoots ALOT.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s injured again after international duty. 6 weeks out I think.

zaafi

I knew of him a few matches after he played for Atalanta, but not before. How is that relevant? You don't need to know a player for more than a year to see that they have obvious qualities.

Osimhen finishing is up there with the best? You clearly don't watch him play.