Victor Osimhen

The Original

Nigerian posters are saying not to sign Osimhen and Uruguayan posters are saying not to sign Darwin… mad market with the prices. Could easily be Lukaku and Moratta all over again.
Ignore those. They have no clue what they're talking about.

For Nigeria, Osimhen has the world record for most goals scored at a u17 world cup in history with 10.

He also has the second highest goal conversion in Nigerian history with a 50% in a very uncreative side.

So you have to ask yourself what those Nigerians are seeing.

We're talking about a special talent here.

Jibbs

Nigerian posters are saying not to sign Osimhen and Uruguayan posters are saying not to sign Darwin… mad market with the prices. Could easily be Lukaku and Moratta all over again.
Darwin most likely go to Liverpool. They are doing a silent Portuguese revolution there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They didn't really though. Napoli "paid" Lille €70m for Osimhen and in return Lille paid them €20m for four completely worthless players (three anonymous academy kids who were quickly loaned out to 3rd/4th division Italian sides, one backup 35 year old GK who hadn't played the previous season and went on to make one appearance for Lille before retiring) who had a value close to zero. It was one of these dodgy Italian FFP deals, like the Arthur-Pjanic swap. His real valuation in the deal was effectively €50m.

Its hard for me to see United buying any striker for huge money unless Ronaldo is leaving this summer.
Ah, makes a bit more sense. Didn’t seem like Napoli to fork out that much money.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's already the most expensive African player in the world with a EUR 70M fee that could rise to 80M at Napoli. We'd really have to break the bank to sign him.

gulli_G

Doesn't seem to have much variation in his finishing, a problem we already have with Rashford and Martial

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I love the player. But for that price I skip him and Darwin and bring Haller back to the epl
Haller is a poor man's Lukaku. When I was reading through an Ajax forum for their thoughts on losing Ten Hag, half the posts were along the lines of "I hope he takes Haller with him". :lol:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Halgkler is a poor man's Lukaku. When I was reading through an Ajax forum for their thoughts on losing Ten Hag, half the posts were along the lines of "I hope he takes Haller with him". :lol:
The point is he knows how to get the best out of Haller. The comparison is dreadful though. Haller is consistently good with his touch

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The point is he knows how to get the best out of Haller. The comparison is dreadful though. Haller is consistently good with his touch
Wasn't talking about touch or even playstyle, just the general type of a striker who puts up very good numbers himself but seems to take something away from the overall team. The frustration Ajax fans appear to have with Haller reads like a copy of how I felt about Lukaku when he was here.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What is it with Napoli and leaking crap to the press about REALLY not wanting to sell their players, but would be forced into it if someone pays a reasonable amount, a pittance really.

It didn't work with koulibaly, hasn't worked with Milinkovic-Savic and it won't work with Osimhen.

If they were somewhat realistic about their prices they'd have made some decent profits on all of the above, but they're greedy cnuts.
Imagine how much profit they’d make on Milinkovic-Savic if the buyer was to confuse Napoli and Lazio as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For anyone saying Napoli are inflating the fee — don’t forget they paid over €70m for him in the first instance!
He's their best player too. Just not worth the money it would take

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We can't afford to spend 80m on Osimhen. In my opinion its all depends on the Greenwood situation. If he returns then I wouldn't say no to a punt like Eddie Nketiah. He's on his last months of contract. Simeone's boy is doing very well and he shouldn't cost us a fortune either.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We can't afford to spend 80m on Osimhen. In my opinion its all depends on the Greenwood situation. If he returns then I wouldn't say no to a punt like Eddie Nketiah. He's on his last months of contract.
If he returns where? Do you think that he has future at Man United?

Ranchero

isn't his scoring record completely average. Why do fees like this get mentioned for guys who've already moved for huge money and done basically nothing
I agree. United have been masters at paying over the odds for average players. £84m for a nobody striker blows much of a budget when we (and am bored saying this for many years) desperately need quality box to box all-arounder midfielders who have a football brain, are creative and can tackle.

Mainoldo

If he returns where? Do you think that he has future at Man United?
Yes. The balance sheet will request he stays. They’ll just get some positive PR out there.

*Not going to add my personal opinion to it obviously being an open case and touchy subject, as it should.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I rate him highly but I can’t see it happening

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does it ever go through your mind that he might (give him a 0.01% chance) be not guilty?
I think the only way he gets off is lack of evidence or a technicality. No way he plays for united again. His team have disowned him, the negative PR, fans reactions at every ground, sponsors not wanting that, there’s a multitude of reasons. He’s done in England, he’d be better going abroad somewhere to rebuild his career IF he doesn’t get sent down

Kaushal

Of all the available strikers I've actually seen enough of to have an opinion on, he'd be the one I wanted. But I fear he may be too expensive for our tastes this summer.
He’s a real beast of a striker I think he’d do very well in the premier league, said before I’d want him here and he’s said he wants to be here. The price is a little high though..
He’d be my choice of striker but I think the price will be too high purely based on what they paid originally.
He is fantastic. Closest thing to Mbappe in the market, had he been playing for any European side, he’d be far more valued.
Ignore those. They have no clue what they're talking about.

For Nigeria, Osimhen has the world record for most goals scored at a u17 world cup in history with 10.

He also has the second highest goal conversion in Nigerian history with a 50% in a very uncreative side.

So you have to ask yourself what those Nigerians are seeing.

We're talking about a special talent here.
I rate him highly but I can’t see it happening
How many times you lot have watched him ? I follow serie A as closely as premier league so I’m curious to know how much you have seen him week in week out ? He is just not good enough for a team aiming to be amongst the top again. If you watch serie a then you would know Tammy Abraham is better than him in almost everything. Osimhen is decent to good in serie A for the same reasons lukaku was world class. I like serie A a lot but it’s a weak league where bang average players like Luis Alberto are top dogs. I would sign Giacomo raspadori before Osimhen, tiny as feck but atleast he won’t cost a bomb.

He is the exact sort of player we should move away from. Technically average, finishing average, build up play average, passing average. The amount of times our attack would break down due to him would be a sight to behold. Physically strong, works hard and good in the air but that’s it. Go for Gianluca Scamacca if you want a target man, plus he is more than that. People here complain about players being less technical like AWB, Mctominay etc and then you want to bring a player like him. I won’t even sign him for £50m. It baffles me how posters can come to the conclusion that he is good enough if they see him on a weekly basis. Napoli signing him from Lille for 70 odd million was shady as hell and money laundering at its finest.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I still don’t understand why they paid so much for him

just a bizarre transfer and I can’t see any club being daft enough to let them off the hook

post-Woody United included

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That Scamacca guy actually seems like a really good outside bet doesn't he?

Mcking

Personally think his all-round game is good enough for a Premier League striker, but his numbers are average at best. Strikers live on the amount of goals they score. He doesn't have the great technical game he'd have to come with to compensate for the lack of goals. Don't think we should even consider him.

The Original

How many times you lot have watched him ? I follow serie A as closely as premier league so I’m curious to know how much you have seen him week in week out ? He is just not good enough for a team aiming to be amongst the top again. If you watch serie a then you would know Tammy Abraham is better than him in almost everything. Osimhen is decent to good in serie A for the same reasons lukaku was world class. I like serie A a lot but it’s a weak league where bang average players like Luis Alberto are top dogs. I would sign Giacomo raspadori before Osimhen, tiny as feck but atleast he won’t cost a bomb.

He is the exact sort of player we should move away from. Technically average, finishing average, build up play average, passing average. The amount of times our attack would break down due to him would be a sight to behold. Physically strong, works hard and good in the air but that’s it. Go for Gianluca Scamacca if you want a target man, plus he is more than that. People here complain about players being less technical like AWB, Mctominay etc and then you want to bring a player like him. I won’t even sign him for £50m. It baffles me how posters can come to the conclusion that he is good enough if they see him on a weekly basis. Napoli signing him from Lille for 70 odd million was shady as hell and money laundering at its finest.
I've watched him quite a lot right from Lille. He's not your Kylian Mbappe technically but he's far better than McTominay/AWB level. That is an atrocious comparison. He can run with the ball and has a good first touch.

He's also quite clearly better than Abraham. He's much faster, once clocked at the same top speed as Mbappe, has a better scoring ratio, much more physical, in fact, I struggle to see what metric Abraham is as good at him at, let alone better.

He'd also be an instant hit in the premier league. As far as i recall he has 3 goals in 4 games against premier league opposition, which were Chelsea and Leicester. He particularly tore Leicester a new one physically.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's lightning fast, moves really well and is a high IQ striker

The only problem is the price. For a club that only needs a striker he'd make sense. For United, not so much

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Not claiming to be an expert, I've maybe only seen him play nine or so times. But of the strikers we've been linked to who I've actually watched at any point, he's the one I was most impressed by. Though I haven't seen anything of the likes of Scammacca for example, who seems to be highly rated.

You mention technical ability but as @andersj pointed out on the previous page, it isn't neccesarily that important in a CF. Our new manager's current team plays with their CF being notably less technical than the rest of the attack, the same will be true of City when they sign Haaland, while the other CF we've been linked with Nunez has similar technical limitations. Not all set-ups require the striker to be heavily involved in play and overly technical as a result.

When I've seen Osimhen he's seemed strong, fast, good in the air, press-friendly and has that striker's knack of getting into good positions to get chances. And that's backed up by his underlying stats, which are very promising. With the striker market as is, that'd do me in a CF signing if it wasn't for what I expect to be an OTT price.

Giggsforever

This guy look like he never has full control of the ball, and he has scored 12 goals this season and har the worst shot accuracy of the 22 top goal scorers in serie A. Average, next.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He’s not exactly lighting up Serie A to justify that price.
His league goals per 90 has been fine. 0.63 compared to (for example) Caf favourite Nkunku at 0.62 and Ronaldo's 0.67. He just missed some time out, with a broken cheekbone and then Covid I think.

Infra-red

He's excellent and would do well in the Premier League. The price is too high for us, though. I suspect United's name is being used to drum up some interest elsewhere.