Victor Osimhen

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Are you a simpleton? It's not bollocks, we have a fecking budget and spanking it on Kane without knowing ahead of time if we win the league like some fortune teller carries an element of risk that you don't seem to be able to comprehend (not even counting that, again, we aren't just a striker away from blowing every team off the pitch).

You're acting as though it's done and dusted we buy him and the league is ours when people are debating whether he's good value. No shit if we knew ahead of time all it takes to win the league is Harry Kane then we'd be all for it at any price, but we don't.
No I'm just not a moron. Quite clearly ETH and the club would think that's a good investment (which it is) if we get him at that price. Hes seemingly one of Ten Hags number one targets for a reason. We're talking about one of the best strikers in the world already proven in the league, so yes, I do think signing Harry Kane gets us challenging for the title and a strong possiblity of winning it. The talk of value is bollocks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
who plays high lines for us to make runs in behind? Also whats different as rashford to striker than osihmen except heading?
Osimhen movement isn't only about make runs in behind.

The difference between Osimhen and Rashford is that Osimhen is a striker that has cavani type of movement hence he’s better with his subtle movements to move defenders, create space and lose markers.

Last edited:

croadyman

We should never spend that kind of money on Osimhen. He is not Haaland or Mbappé, so kindly feck off Napoli.

Chelsea is going to run into FFP issues.

Take the 120 million and buy 2-4 quality players with it: a dm, a striker, a number 10 and a rb.
Which striker though?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Which striker though?
As said Osimhen would cost an eye watering 120m-140m. He'll be expected to hit the ground running as well as we all know that Martial is pretty useless. If you ask me I'd go for two strikers instead.

a- Marcus Thuram. He's 25, he's versatile and while not as talented as Osimhen is he's quite a solid scorer.
b- We then aim for a young striker. Leipzig for example is said to be ready to sell Sesko if a 50m bid comes their way.

If you then add the likes of Mcneill and the player that can't be named then we'll have a competitive forward line. Meanwhile we can spend the dosh in other areas as well like CM (Casemiro and Eriksen can't play week in week out) and RB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
a- Marcus Thuram. He's 25, he's versatile and while not as talented as Osimhen is he's quite a solid scorer.
b- We then aim for a young striker. Leipzig for example is said to be ready to sell Sesko if a 50m bid comes their way.

If you then add the likes of Mcneill and the player that can't be named then we'll have a competitive forward line.
Yeah, a 25 year old who is only about to hit more than 10 league goals for the first time his entire career (he scored 3 in the Bundesliga last season), and a kid who isn’t even a guaranteed undisputed starter in the Austrian league. If that’s not enough, add in a youth player who is quite obviously so far from first team quality.

That’s one hell of a “competitive forward line”

OmarUnited4ever

Yeah, a 25 year old who is only about to hit more than 10 league goals for the first time his entire career (he scored 3 in the Bundesliga last season), and a kid who isn’t even a guaranteed undisputed starter in the Austrian league. If that’s not enough, add in a youth player who is quite obviously so far from first team quality.

You are right, the likes of Thuram & Sesko aren't good enough or ready to lead the line for a team aspiring to win trophies, we really need a top class CF who can deliver now, even though Osimhen is too expensive for his ability, but he has an excellent goal scoring record in Serie A, with 40G and 12A in 68 appearances, if he is a target, then I hope the club has assessed him properly before they go and attempt to sign him, as we all know he'll cost a bomb, and as well know, the striker market is basically dead, not that many of options to go with.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yep, as I and others here have pointed out Serie A really is crap right now and him scoring lots of goals there doesn't mean that much.

I wouldn't be taking a chance on him unless he's excellent against tougher teams in the CL this season. He didn't even score in his two appearances against a mediocre Liverpool side earlier in the season - in fact when Napoli beat them 4-1 at home he just missed a penalty.

As an aside, looking at his stats "holding on to the ball" and "passing" are highlighted as supposed weaknesses in his game - which is really not the profile of player Utd should be considering for their CF.
“He didn’t score against Liverpool” firstly, not scoring doesn’t mean he didn’t play well, he actually played well in the first game as was stretching Liverpool’s defence. He also only played less than a half of the game in the 4-1 win due to injury.

If you check the match, after about 40 seconds he had beaten Allison to the ball, went round him and hit the post. You saw his pace and movement in full flow in under a minute.

But sure, let’s find a striker that has pace, hold up, passing, finishing, does it against top quality opposition all the time and won’t break the bank. Give me the names of those strikers?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think we’ll sign Vlahovic instead. Hes going to be expensive

devilish

Thuram had spent most of his career playing as LW.

Look if there was a prime Van Basten or even a prime Shearer around then I'd say then we should go for him no matter the price. Unfortunately there is no one at anywhere near to that level. Thus we need to act smart and do what SAF had done with the likes of Saha, Ole, Yorke and to a lesser extent Cole ie develop the player. My suggestion is called distributing the risk on multiple bets. If let's say we have 200m to spend then I see it as a safer option to bring in Thuram on a free, Sesko for 50m, we reintroduce the player that can't be named to the first squad and we strengthen CM (DM and MC) and the RB rather then simply blow most of the budget for a striker who scored goals in a league were even Immobile, Arnautovic, Abraham, Scamacca and Lookman look world beaters in. If we're so unlucky that Thuram, Sesko, the player that can't be named and Mcneill are duds then it would be easy to keep them as squad players and sell the rest for a slight loss. Its almost impossible to get rid of a 140m rated striker without looking silly especially since he'll probably ask a salary that would reflect that fee. Let's avoid another Maguire incident shall we?

redcucumber

No I'm just not a moron. Quite clearly ETH and the club would think that's a good investment (which it is) if we get him at that price. Hes seemingly one of Ten Hags number one targets for a reason. We're talking about one of the best strikers in the world already proven in the league, so yes, I do think signing Harry Kane gets us challenging for the title and a strong possiblity of winning it. The talk of value is bollocks.
How could you possibly know this?

zaafi

Thuram had spent most of his career playing as LW.

Look if there was a prime Van Basten or even a prime Shearer around then I'd say then we should go for him no matter the price. Unfortunately there is no one at anywhere near to that level. Thus we need to act smart and do what SAF had done with the likes of Saha, Ole, Yorke and to a lesser extent Cole ie develop the player. My suggestion is called distributing the risk on multiple bets. If let's say we have 200m to spend then I see it as a safer option to bring in Thuram on a free, Sesko for 50m, we reintroduce the player that can't be named to the first squad and we strengthen CM (DM and MC) and the RB rather then simply blow most of the budget for a striker who scored goals in a league were even Immobile, Arnautovic, Abraham, Scamacca and Lookman look world beaters in. If we're so unlucky that Thuram, Sesko, the player that can't be named and Mcneill are duds then it would be easy to keep them as squad players and sell the rest for a slight loss. Its almost impossible to get rid of a 140m rated striker without looking silly especially since he'll probably ask a salary that would reflect that fee. Let's avoid another Maguire incident shall we?
First of all, Kane could be available. Just because a shit source says Levy won't sell Kane to a rival this summer does not mean we have to start looking at the likes of Marcus Thuram and Sesko to chase instead. And I agree, it is quite clear that Thuram has barely played as a striker because he is not a natural striker or a consistent goal scorer. But at the same time, he isn't exactly a great team player unless he plays left forward where we already have Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho, so please explain why we should go for him. Is it because we can get him on a free? That's not good enough imo.
As for Sesko, the hype surrounding him is weird. He hasn't shown anything at all for us to be interested in him. He can't even score goals in the Austrian League. Also, for £50m? So why shouldn't we just double that and get Osimhen?

When it comes to the bolded part, neither of these players have ever looked world beaters in Serie A with the exception of Immobile. It seems you only look at goals scored, and even then, Scamacca scored 16 goals in 36 matches played (25 in which he started). You should look at the player's ability before spouting out how shit the league is. I agree, though, it is a bad league with horrible teams in it, but Osimhen's abilities are evident and there is nothing that suggests he wouldn't make it in Premier League. I mean, have you seen us lately? We create a lot of chances every game, and even Weghorst could've had a few more goals if he had Osimhen's pace.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Or in other words it's going to be Osimhen vs Kolo Muani. Feels a bit like CF candidate casting.
I like Kolo Muani better. Feel like his dribbling, passing and hold up play is very good but Osihmen looks like a better goal scorer. Kolo Muani with some of Benny McCarthy’s finishing coaching could be great in my opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I like Kolo Muani better. Feel like his dribbling, passing and hold up play is very good but Osihmen looks like a better goal scorer. Kolo Muani with some of Benny McCarthy’s finishing coaching could be great in my opinion.
I haven't seen Muani, what makes him better? Particularly when his stats suggest he is massively less of a goal threat?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Napoli want 134m pounds for Victor Osimhen this summer, and are preparing for an 'auction'. #MUFC are working to get 'in pole position' to sign Osimhen.
From - [@mattinodinapoli via Sport_Witness]

Low tier source anyway :(
His contract is expiring next year. He would be sold for half of it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I haven't seen Muani, what makes him better? Particularly when his stats suggest he is massively less of a goal threat?
But he is a much better creator than Osimhen. So it comes down to the question if you want your CF to be the main goalscorer, or are you happy if he also often assists Rashford, Bruno etc.

Because United has these strong finishers and I don't feel like the quality gap between Kolo Muani and Osimhen is massive to me it becomes a matter of preferred style.

I still think that Osimhen currently might be a bit better, but as both would have to adjust to a new club and league I think it's hard to predict how they would develop after a transfer to United.

devilish

First of all, Kane could be available. Just because a shit source says Levy won't sell Kane to a rival this summer does not mean we have to start looking at the likes of Marcus Thuram and Sesko to chase instead. And I agree, it is quite clear that Thuram has barely played as a striker because he is not a natural striker or a consistent goal scorer. But at the same time, he isn't exactly a great team player unless he plays left forward where we already have Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho, so please explain why we should go for him. Is it because we can get him on a free? That's not good enough imo.
As for Sesko, the hype surrounding him is weird. He hasn't shown anything at all for us to be interested in him. He can't even score goals in the Austrian League. Also, for £50m? So why shouldn't we just double that and get Osimhen?

When it comes to the bolded part, neither of these players have ever looked world beaters in Serie A with the exception of Immobile. It seems you only look at goals scored, and even then, Scamacca scored 16 goals in 36 matches played (25 in which he started). You should look at the player's ability before spouting out how shit the league is. I agree, though, it is a bad league with horrible teams in it, but Osimhen's abilities are evident and there is nothing that suggests he wouldn't make it in Premier League. I mean, have you seen us lately? We create a lot of chances every game, and even Weghorst could've had a few more goals if he had Osimhen's pace.
If Kane is available at around 60m-70m then let's go for him. Unfortunately I can't see Levy selling him for less then a 100m which is crazy for a (then) 30 year old. My argument is simple. There is no top quality striker out there worth spending 100m+ upon. Doing so would be unfair on the player who'll have to carry such price tag (think of Maguire and Nunez) and stupid from the club. Thus we need to take a step back, get a player (actually two) on a reasonable fee who has potential to fit into the system we're using and develop them. The likes of Sheringham, Ole, Yorke and Saha were hardly world beaters but they served the club extremely well and ended up becoming the players we needed.

Thuram might be that sort of player. He's versatile, he's technically gifted, he's physical and he's got an eye for goal. His father must have instilled in him the persistence and the can do attitude he had as its very rare for the son of a football legend to become so good in football himself. Finally his time as winger had enabled him to keep an eye of what going around him as well which makes him an unselfish player. I am not too concerned about his position change. Pirlo moved from a very average forward (who was far worse then Thuram was as a LW) to a deep lying playmaker rather late in his career and we all know how that worked out.

Don't take me wrong, I wouldn't mind if we don't sign him out. However I do believe that given the circumstances we're should go for a player like him or Muani. If it doesn't work out then tough luck. We'll sell for a small loss and move on. That won't happen with a 120m striker. That's a manager career threatening signing that must succeed

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But he is a much better creator than Osimhen. So it comes down to the question if you want your CF to be the main goalscorer, or are you happy if he also often assists Rashford, Bruno etc.

Because United has these strong finishers and I don't feel like the quality gap between Kolo Muani and Osimhen is massive to me it becomes a matter of preferred style.

I still think that Osimhen currently might be a bit better, but as both would have to adjust to a new club and league I think it's hard to predict how they would develop after a transfer to United.
This is why I ask, as the stats suggest Osimhen is a lot more than a bit better over recent seasons. Twice as good in fact.

In terms of xG: 0.28, 0.34, 0.35 vs 0.61, 0.62, 0.65.
In terms of actual goals: 0.27, 0.37, 0.50 vs 0.57, 0.64, 1.03.

And the creativity stats don't seem to bridge that gap.

Basically if Bundesliga and Serie A translated 1:1 with the PL this season then Muani would be scoring as regularly from open play as Toney and expected to as regularly as Ollie Watkins, where Osimhen would be outscoring everyone bar Haaland and expected to score more than anyone bar Haaland & Nunez. So Muani would have to look pretty damn amazing in general play to be a better bet. Enough that I'm sceptical.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As said Osimhen would cost an eye watering 120m-140m. He'll be expected to hit the ground running as well as we all know that Martial is pretty useless. If you ask me I'd go for two strikers instead.

If you then add the likes of Mcneill and the player that can't be named then we'll have a competitive forward line. Meanwhile we can spend the dosh in other areas as well like CM (Casemiro and Eriksen can't play week in week out) and RB.
If Thuram is the option or Sesko who is not ready then I would rather us spending 120m-140m on Osimhen and sign Tielemans for free as Eriksen backup or any cheap midfielder out there. Lot of Mönchengladbach fans didn’t even think he’s good enough for top club. Among the average player you can pick, I’m more surprised you mentioned Thuram but not Weghorst. At least Weghorst is proper striker and proven has the right character.

devilish

If Thuram is the option or Sesko who is not ready then I would rather us spending 120m-140m on Osimhen and sign Tielemans for free as Eriksen backup or any cheap midfielder out there. Lot of Mönchengladbach fans didn’t even think he’s good enough for top club. Among the average player you can pick, I’m more surprised you mentioned Thuram but not Weghorst. At least Weghorst is proper striker and proven has the right character.
Weghorst is 30 years old, he'd cost us a fee and quite frankly I think he's too slow to ever become a regular player with United. However I accept your opinion and quite frankly Thuram is not the hill I am willing to die on. All I am saying is that spending 120m-140m on a striker who score goals that can make Immobile, Lookman, Arnautovic and Abraham look great in, is, in my opinion, a huge mistake. It's unfair on the player, its stupid by the club and its a potential managerial career threatening move for ETH. Considering that there are no safe bets out there then we should buy a gamble on realistic fee only to develop him further ourselves. Then we can invest the money in other positions that need TLC like CM and RB. Muani would be another great option.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Weghorst is 30 years old, he'd cost us a fee and quite frankly I think he's too slow to ever become a regular player with United. However I accept your opinion and quite frankly Thuram is not the hill I am willing to die on. All I am saying is that spending 120m-140m on a striker who score goals that can make Immobile, Lookman, Arnautovic and Abraham look great in, is, in my opinion, a huge mistake. It's unfair on the player, its stupid by the club and its a potential managerial career threatening move for ETH. Considering that there are no safe bets out there then we should buy a gamble on realistic fee only to develop him further ourselves. Then we can invest the money in other positions that need TLC like CM and RB. Muani would be another great option.
What’s wrong with signing 30 years old as short term then go for Osimhen again in 2024 or another more developed striker? Surely that option is better than signing Thuram as long term right? Weghorst is better than Thuram and it’s not even my opinion but it’s based on stats because his bundesliga stats record is far better than Thuram’s in goals, assists, and pressing.

If you don’t think Weghorst is good enough then Thuram shouldn’t even be consideration. Your issue about spending 120m-140m on a striker so we can have enough cash to sign midfielder. I literally just remind you Tielemans a free agent midfielder. If there is an option to sign free player between Tielemans or Thuram, I’m surprised you would rather sign a player who is worse than Weghorst like Thuram.

footballbite

“He didn’t score against Liverpool” firstly, not scoring doesn’t mean he didn’t play well, he actually played well in the first game as was stretching Liverpool’s defence. He also only played less than a half of the game in the 4-1 win due to injury.

If you check the match, after about 40 seconds he had beaten Allison to the ball, went round him and hit the post. You saw his pace and movement in full flow in under a minute.
Playing well against the abysmal defence of this current Liverpool side should be the absolute minimum.
But sure, let’s find a striker that has pace, hold up, passing, finishing, does it against top quality opposition all the time and won’t break the bank. Give me the names of those strikers?
Did I say they need to not break the bank? Osimhen will though - for the money Napoli would want you'd need to be sure he's as good, if not better, than Kane, or even Goncalo Ramos. You'd also want to have some confidence that by spending all your money on him you won't miss out on another emerging talent such as Ferguson who might soon show themselves to have a higher ceiling. There are other interesting prospects around like Retegui who won't cost anywhere near as much, and leave room for someone else as well.

footballbite

I was on the Sesko train last season/this summer when there seemed like a real lack of CF talents emerging, but this season there have been quite a few all of a sudden who'd be worth considering instead.

devilish

What’s wrong with signing 30 years old as short term then go for Osimhen again in 2024 or another more developed striker? Surely that option is better than signing Thuram as long term right? Weghorst is better than Thuram and it’s not even my opinion but it’s based on stats because his bundesliga stats record is far better than Thuram’s in goals, assists, and pressing.

If you don’t think Weghorst is good enough then Thuram shouldn’t even be consideration. Your issue about spending 120m-140m on a striker so we can have enough cash to sign midfielder. I literally just remind you Tielemans a free agent midfielder. If there is an option to sign free player between Tielemans or Thuram, I’m surprised you would rather sign a player who is worse than Weghorst like Thuram.
Weghorst can do two things with United. He can succeed or he can fail. If he succeed then I can see Burnley asking silly money for him. If not then we wouldn't want to keep him right? Thuram on the other hand is younger, more versatile and he's a free agent. If he doesn't succeed as a forward its easier to move him around in other areas of the team or sell him off.

I have nothing against Tielemans joining United as long as his salary demands won't be over the roof. What I am against is paying 120m-140m on Osimhen. No disrespect towards the player who is quite talented indeed. However he's not worth that money which in turn would be bad business for United, unfair on the player and a risk for ETH's career.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Playing well against the abysmal defence of this current Liverpool side should be the absolute minimum.

Did I say they need to not break the bank? Osimhen will though - for the money Napoli would want you'd need to be sure he's as good, if not better, than Kane, or even Goncalo Ramos. You'd also want to have some confidence that by spending all your money on him you won't miss out on another emerging talent such as Ferguson who might soon show themselves to have a higher ceiling. There are other interesting prospects around like Retegui who won't cost anywhere near as much, and leave room for someone else as well.
Yes and he achieved the bare minimum, it was you who brought up that he didn't score against them despite not mentioning he went off injured in the first game after playing well and the second was a dead rubber that neither team brought any intensity to.

Also, Retegui? What do you see in him that would be a good investment? He's a year younger than Osimhen, has had 1 good season playing on loan rather than for his parent club who surely would be starting a 23 year old if he was that good. Goncalo Ramos will cost around the same as Osimhen. Evan Ferguson we don't know how good he can be, but Brighton will sell for a very high price. There isn't a plethora of strikers out there to choose from, maybe Mauni would be a good option for a cheaper price.

Also regarding Retegui, he has an Italian passport and is signed with Totti's agency. We can have a good guess to what country he will end up in.