Villarreal defender Ruben Semedo charged with attempted murder

Oscie

That's awful. Although he must be disappointed he missed out on an assist.

Brophs

The One and Only
I saw Newcastle being linked with him during the summer. Given this news, I think it's fair to say Semedo dodged a bullet there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Ashley Williams reacts to the news that a central defender from the top flight of a European league is about to be charged with attempted murder.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This should be evidence enough that some people really cannot leave the life they otherwise would have had if not for football, alone.

By this measure, Morrison's doing alright.

Don't know anything about Semedo, but a professional footballer in a team in its top division is on his way to being a millionaire that has no business even interacting with people who do things like this, so it really makes it clear how hard some find it to break rank from the criminal elements they [probably] grew up with.

Wasn't Aaron Rodriguez another textbook case?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Taking hard man labels to the next level.

Why can't these pretend gangsters wait until they've earned all the legit money they can before throwing their lives away?
To go through with what he has is anything but pretend. You want to throw labels, but pretend definitely shouldn't be one of them.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Horrible person. He also had problems here in Portugal. He was arrested for driving without a license when he just got promoted to our senior team. He was also fined, demoted to the B team and then loaned to a spanish second division team Reus after hitting a fellow teammate Lewis Enoh. He was always a troublemaker but i didn't expect him to get involved with something like this. He's in serious trouble if the victims allegations are proved.

What a mess, truth be told if most of these footballers weren't playing football they would be criminals on the streets. Some of them just have no common sense so this doesn't surprise me.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Don't know anything about Semedo, but a professional footballer in a team in its top division is on his way to being a millionaire that has no business even interacting with people who do things like this, so it really makes it clear how hard some find it to break rank from the criminal elements they [probably] grew up with.
He comes from Amadora, a place near Lisbon with alot of social and delinquency problems. When he moved to Spain, some really shaddy and dangerous persons from that place moved with him, so it doesn't surprise me that he got into trouble. I just didn't expect the seriousness of the charges. He's a wannabe gangster. He had plenty of chances but it seems that he can't change his behaviour. I'm glad he's not our problem anymore but i feel sorry for Villarreal who paid us 14 million euros for a thug.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What a mess, truth be told if most of these footballers weren't playing football they would be criminals on the streets. Some of them just have no common sense so this doesn't surprise me.
I mean, you realize how ludicrous that statement is?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He comes from Amadora, a place near Lisbon with alot of social and delinquency problems. When he moved to Spain, some really shaddy and dangerous persons from that place moved with him, so it doesn't surprise me that he got into trouble. I just didn't expect the seriousness of the charges. He's a wannabe gangster. He had plenty of chances but it seems that he can't change his behaviour. I'm glad he's not our problem anymore but i feel sorry for Villarreal who paid us 14 million euros for a thug.
Yes, that seems to be a common theme with players/people like this - their 'entourage' follow and corrupt them everywhere they go. I have to say I don't understand the 'wannabe' part of your post, as he was very much the real thing and no wannabe if he's stringing people up and doing what the articles say he did, even if he was just party to it, those are not the actions of a wannabe.

The only way I could see it being so is if he was being bullied and made to do these things, but from the sound of it, he's always been a delinquent, so I doubt that's the case.

Not going to say it's a tragic case, because at 23, you're big enough and old enough to not feel peer pressure. I just think it's a cautionary tale that makes clear that for people who come from that life, the mindset is ingrained and the trappings of fame and fortune don't change that. I mean, wtf is someone who is making £10's of thousands a week doing robbing anyone, for example? Part of that has to be for the thrill... which is a sad indictment on the mind of such an individual but very probably a real part of him.

Aboutreika18

Thanks for that, I was thinking maybe the environment he was brought up in had something to do with it.

I was actually a little bit surprised you guys sold him because he and Coates seemed to have formed a decent partnership a couple of seasons back. But now I'm familiar with his personal problems, getting money for him and bringing in Mathieu was a good deal for you guys.

Deleted member 101472

According to The Sun, he and two other men tied the victim up, beating him with a bat, holding a gun to his face and threatened to cut his fingers off...
If they can make it so that when I try to swear it comes out as feck, they should be able to modify this so it comes out as “according to shite journalism”

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thanks for that, I was thinking maybe the environment he was brought up in had something to do with it.

I was actually a little bit surprised you guys sold him because he and Coates seemed to have formed a decent partnership a couple of seasons back. But now I'm familiar with his personal problems, getting money for him and bringing in Mathieu was a good deal for you guys.
There is probably some backstage history about him that we don't know besides the reported problems. We also sold him because after his excellent performance at the Bernabéu, he kinda stagnated and did some subpar performances, with concentration lapses and positional mistakes. He also had problems with our fans, who never liked him because he admited he's a Benfica fan. He kept getting booed with the mistakes and there was even a good riddance banner when rumours appeared that we were getting transfer offers.
Then Villarreal came and offered 14 millions and the rest is history. There was relief in the club, fans and even Rúben Semedo when he left.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
What an insanely reactionary, baseless and ignorant statement.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
These footballers. Indeed. Most of them.

arnie_ni

Is this the guy that plays rb for portugal and is actually quite good