Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

With the Maguire situation looking bleak I wonder if Ole might opt for the back 5 like when we played PSG away.

5 at the back is what knocked us out of the CL so would be a massive risk.

Also not playing Pogba was the next biggest factor.

Don't see Ole doing it again.

McFred is what will decide this game imo. Both in shocking form.

If they play anything like they have done for the past two months then they are very likely to cost us goals. And we already know they can't make up for the goals they cost in attack.

The only real choices are the left forward and centre-back (and maybe central midfield, although I think McFred is near certain with Maguire being out).

For me Rashford has to play, even if it's at the expense of Pogba. I've criticised him this season, and loved Pogba's recent performances from the left - but against their right-back Gaspar, who's pretty fecking slow, I'd fancy him to have a big game. He's got a very good habit of coming up big in big games too.

At centre-back I'd go Lindelof and Bailly...and just pray that good Bailly comes out to play. Moreno's going to be a problem whoever we play.

You'd like to go balls to the wall and throw out a Fred, Pogba midfield but I can't see it happening. Although Pogba's biggest problem in midfield is press-resistance and Villarreal don't exactly have an energetic midfield...so it might not be the worst idea.

-----------------De Gea------------

AWB---Bailly---Lindelof---Shaw

-----------McT------Fred----------

Mason----Bruno---Rashford

---------------Cavani--------------

laughtersassassin

I really wish we wouldn't play McFred tbh.

Past two months they haven't made us defensively solid at all. At fault for so many goals.

Would rather just opt for more control on the ball

RkkMan

Despite not being in a boot, Ole has said that he is very unlikely for the final, he is barely walking now and not close to running and ligament damage takes time to heal. Maguire has a lot of good qualities but, his speed is not one of them, even a 80% fit Maguire will be big liability considering Villareal will be playing on the counter attack most likely.

Start Bailly with Lindelof and drill it in them, this is the game of their lives - this will determine if they really have any future playing next season next to Maguire. As for AWB, same thing, not a momentary lapse on the back post or with his passing. As long as the defense doesn't cock it up, trust the attackers to do their job.
If you actually have faith in Bailly and Lindelof as a pair I wish I had optimism in life. I'd personally go with a back 3 with Shaw at LCB and Axel in place of Bailly

Valencia Shin Crosses

What will happen: Greenwood on the bench with the predictable XI

What I wish for: Pogba and Fred in midfield, and our 3 forwards going at these cnuts. This isn’t Man City and it would do us a lot better to have all of our firepower on the pitch to take the game to them. Would also make us much more dangerous on the break if they want to high press us, as Pogba can find any of our front 3 from deeper.

tomaldinho1

I really wish we wouldn't play McFred tbh.

Past two months they haven't made us defensively solid at all. At fault for so many goals.

Would rather just opt for more control on the ball
Villarreal concede a shed load of goals as well, we really need to stop with such a conservative approach unless it's against one of the few teams that has equal/better players than us (and there's literally only about 4 of them).

RedIan

The only real choices are the left forward and centre-back (and maybe central midfield, although I think McFred is near certain with Maguire being out).

For me Rashford has to play, even if it's at the expense of Pogba. I've criticised him this season, and loved Pogba's recent performances from the left - but against their right-back Gaspar, who's pretty fecking slow, I'd fancy him to have a big game. He's got a very good habit of coming up big in big games too.

At centre-back I'd go Lindelof and Bailly...and just pray that good Bailly comes out to play. Moreno's going to be a problem whoever we play.

You'd like to go balls to the wall and throw out a Fred, Pogba midfield but I can't see it happening. Although Pogba's biggest problem in midfield is press-resistance and Villarreal don't exactly have an energetic midfield...so it might not be the worst idea.

Seriously no Pogba? But those 2 clowns in the pivot. Pogba is our best player along with bruno he has to start.

Swiss_Red89

Seriously no Pogba? But those 2 clowns in the pivot. Pogba is our best player along with bruno he has to start.
I'm saying this for two weeks now. I can't understand why we really consider to leave ouf one of Pogba, Rashford or Greenwood so that we can play McFred. Don't get me wrong, i like them both and think they are very good squad options and i would understand this point of view when we would play the CL Final against City. But we're playing the EL Final against Villareal. We should go for it and not try to sneak it. And it's not like Pogba absolutely can't play the CM position, he could well play a blinder there next week.

It's small club mentality if we really choose the pragmatic way imo.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
What a disgrace of a post, give yourself a wobble. They may not be top players but to class them as clowns is bonkers.

It's not even as if they're shite people outside football or anything to justify this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Think you're 10/11 with that lineup, but no way Ole leaves Pogba out.
Think Greenwood will be kept as the super sub from the bench.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What a disgrace of a post, give yourself a wobble. They may not be top players but to class them as clowns is bonkers.

It's not even as if they're shite people outside football or anything to justify this.
My 50 years watching United pal was telling me Fred is championship level the other day/

I don't get how people underrate our players so ridiculously,

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
My 50 years watching United pal was telling me Fred is championship level the other day/

I don't get how people underrate our players so ridiculously,
Yeah we're by far the worst bunch in England at that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Fred and Pogba in midfield, hopefully we get a similar performance to the Sevilla game in the EL SF last year but with a different result.

I don't want to see McTominay anywhere else except the bench and then lifting the trophy.

laughtersassassin

Fred and Pogba in midfield, hopefully we get a similar performance to the Sevilla game in the EL SF last year but with a different result.

I don't want to see McTominay anywhere else except the bench and then lifting the trophy.
I'd do this as well. Or Pogba and McT.

Anything but Fred and McT together.

That way we can play Greenwood and Rashford can play.

I really don't think we should fear Villareal. In my mind it is asking for trouble if we do that

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd do this as well. Or Pogba and McT.

Anything but Fred and McT together.

That way we can play Greenwood and Rashford can play.

I really don't think we should fear Villareal. In my mind it is asking for trouble if we do that
I wouldn't play McT. He's not mobile enough, doesn't win the ball as much as Fred, which is what Pogba needs next to him in midfield. They won't press high up, where Fred and Pogba's weaknesses get exposed, so let's just go aggressive and put them to the sword in first 30 minutes.

I also don't think we should fear them. I am more wary of our bottling mentality because we've barely won any one-off games in cups. We've done well in this year's EL but last year when it was one-off games, we never looked comfortable.

Hopefully, the ref is taking the European approach and I don't expect Villareal to be physical, so Lindelof might be OK. Both him and Bailly should be OK with a Spanish side.

Lee565

I fear that ole will go with mcfred which will allow Villarreal to control the tempo of the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing de beek in midfield considering this is a European match which he has shown better performances in for us.

Irrational.

Just play our best team:

DDG

AWB, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw

Fred

Bruno, Pogba

Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford
Anything else would be cowardice. We’re likely to see McT in for Pogba though. I’d rather we just played our strongest XI and got the game done and dusted. McT can come on to consolidate in the second half.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just play our best team:

DDG

AWB, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw

Fred

Bruno, Pogba

Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford
Anything else would be cowardice. We’re likely to see McT in for Pogba though. I’d rather we just played our strongest XI and got the game done and dusted. McT can come on to consolidate in the second half.
Fred as a single pivot :nervous:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Its almost a full team from Emery today. Those who want to watch them play - against Real in 7 mins

GwilDor

Villareal leading 0-1 at the break after scoring in the 20th minute. AM also trailing Valladolid 1-0 atm. Both potential league winners bottling atm...

cyberman

Theyve been so slow with the ball and run out of ideas as soon as they reach the box. 5v4s and they come to standstills.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This isn't going to be easy. They are a very well drilled side

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
They're a gritty, well-organised side that likes to defend deep. Exactly the kind of team we tend to struggle against. We'll need to be really on our game and switched on.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Watching their game here. On one hand they look a good side, but on the other hand Spurs reject Capoue is running their midfield...

RkkMan

They're a dangerous side for sure. If they score first which is likely we'll be in for a very tough time as they're solid defensively. Think they'll pull off an upset

jamesjimmybyrondean

Imo we should not press them or else they create chances easily. They are very good at beating the press and ours is not always effective. I also think we would struggle to score as they sit back and defend. Definitely would start Pogba over Rashford on the left. They will be very focused as they are the underdogs with little pressure and also eager to win their first cup

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Looking at the way they play, I want to see Rashford starting on the left. Need players running at them and making good off-the-ball runs or they've got things under control.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Watching their game here. On one hand they look a good side, but on the other hand Spurs reject Capoue is running their midfield...
Capoue has been strong and energetic - couple of pirouettes to quickly turn defence into attack. Villareal in general have been great at their transitions in that one half I watched - there were so many midfield splitting passes from deep to set up their counters. We need Fred/McT to be very vigilant with the interceptions.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Anyone be tempted to pair Matic with Fred in the final?
Prefer Matic and Mctominay myself.

Fred has been a liability in recent weeks, as he has for most of the season. It's a shame because he looked to be making great progress before this season kicked off.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Is this their first team against Real?

Nero

Far superior to them. Simple victory by 3 goals or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.