Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The sole thing that seems to be in his favour is this idea of him being better andmore able to implement his style of play 'if he had better players'....which surely applies to every manager ever?
Some styles work better for underdogs, some styles work better for top teams. A manager who has perfected the art of parking the bus might massively struggle at top teams where he needs a plan how to play when his team is the favourite and the other parks the bus as well. Kompany (according to what I read here) seems to be on the opposite of the spectrum, using a strategy that depends on his players being able to dominate and keep possession. His players were able to do that in the Championship but apparently not so much in the PL, but Bayern's players would more likely be able to do it in the BL and most of the CL.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have no idea how he fared at Burnley and for what he was to blame :) I just think his profile fits Bayern and no proven coach of his profile is available so I'd prefer a proven bad fit over an unproven good fit.
How do you know his profile fits Bayern if you haven't followed what he's been doing at Burnley?

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Don't think that's quite right. From what I read they were 8th when he joined. He took them to 4th and 3rd and then after he left they finished 11th. I guess they were just going through a rough few years by their normal standards.
At the time, I thought he did a bad job. In hindsight, he actually did a good one keeping Anderlecht in the top 5. The standards had already dropped; we just didn't realize it back then. When he left, it really showed where they were really at.

I'm still baffled by this decision, though. He's a Van Gaal lite who fails to adapt and stubbornly holds fast to his principles, resulting in football with a lot of possession for possession's sake without creating many chances. Granted, he'll have the personnel now to bring the football he wants, and he might get some good results from the start, but coaches are going to find him out and he'll have no answers.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
At the time, I thought he did a bad job. In hindsight, he actually did a good one keeping Anderlecht in the top 5. The standards had already dropped; we just didn't realize it back then. When he left, it really showed where they were really at.

I'm still baffled by this decision, though. He's a Van Gaal lite who fails to adapt and stubbornly holds fast to his principles, resulting in football with a lot of possession for possession's sake without creating many chances. Granted, he'll have the personnel now to bring the football he wants, and he might get some good results from the start, but coaches are going to find him out and he'll have no answers.
Van Gaal set the course for very attractive and successful football during his stint at Bayern. In that sense, you're giving me hope. :lol:

plex

Van Gaal set the course for very attractive and successful football during his stint at Bayern. In that sense, you're giving me hope. :lol:
Exactly, van Gaal played a major part in Bayern‘s success in the following years. He implemented the basics, the fundamentals of possession football. Based on this, Heynckes adjusted it slightly and chose a more balanced approach, which imho resulted in one of the best team performances I’ve seen so far. Guardiola then again was similar to van Gaal, just more likeable and less of a military governor. However, since Pep left the club, Bayern isn’t as good as they used to be in terms of possession football. Sure, there are many ways to be successful, i.e. Real Madrid is hardly playing possession football, they have a more pragmatic style and simply high quality players, but I guess Bayern wants to go “back to the roots” or improve in the possession area. Kompany however should not make the mistake to play pure possession football and be able to adjust his style against strong opponents. Tuchel for instance is more pragmatic, which is why Bayern was able to beat Arsenal and was on par with Madrid in the semi finals.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
Exactly, van Gaal played a major part in Bayern‘s success in the following years. He implemented the basics, the fundamentals of possession football. Based on this, Heynckes adjusted it slightly and chose a more balanced approach, which imho resulted in one of the best team performances I’ve seen so far. Guardiola then again was similar to van Gaal, just more likeable and less of a military governor. However, since Pep left the club, Bayern isn’t as good as they used to be in terms of possession football. Sure, there are many ways to be successful, i.e. Real Madrid is hardly playing possession football, they have a more pragmatic style and simply high quality players, but I guess Bayern wants to go “back to the roots” or improve in the possession area. Kompany however should not make the mistake to play pure possession football and be able to adjust his style against strong opponents. Tuchel for instance is more pragmatic, which is why Bayern was able to beat Arsenal and was on par with Madrid in the semi finals.
Also needs to be said that the 2 least league points in the last 12yrs were under Tuchel within 15months of managing Bayern.
Bayern got smashed by City last year, struggled to eliminate Lazio and Arsenal. And lost to Madrid, The Madrid game was close in scoreline but Madrid battered Bayern in Bernabeu that a 5-1 scoreline wont have been a shock

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
I have no idea how he fared at Burnley and for what he was to blame :) I just think his profile fits Bayern and no proven coach of his profile is available so I'd prefer a proven bad fit over an unproven good fit.
If you don't know how he fared then how can you know his profile fits? Talking absolute nonsense.

plex

Also needs to be said that the 2 least league points in the last 12yrs were under Tuchel within 15months of managing Bayern.
Bayern got smashed by City last year, struggled to eliminate Lazio and Arsenal. And lost to Madrid, The Madrid game was close in scoreline but Madrid battered Bayern in Bernabeu that a 5-1 scoreline wont have been a shock
I haven't followed many Bayern games this season, but as far as I can see, Bayern was doing well until the winter break. They collected 44 points in 17 games, just one point less than Leverkusen. What happened afterward is hard for me to assess, but when I look at the data on Transfermarkt, it is noticeable that the Bayern team had several injured players, and others like Sane were out of form. Otherwise, I don't know if it's fair to blame Tuchel for the mediocre results at the end of last season. From what I see, Bayern under Nagelsmann lost 10 points to Dortmund in a short period, after which he was fired, and Tuchel had to take over a new team mid-season without a pre-season. It has also been repeatedly heard that Tuchel requested a strong defensive midfielder, which was denied to him.Furthermore, I don't find Bayern's midfield that strong to be honest, neither defensively nor in terms of game understanding. This is where Bayern needs to make improvements if they want to be successful with the potential new coach Kompany, who seems to be primarily focused on ball possession. As for the games against Arsenal and Real Madrid, I think Tuchel got the maximum out of the squad. Bayern was only able to prevail against Arsenal because of the pragmatic approach and kept it exciting against Real Madrid until shortly before the end (and in my opinion, with a bit of luck, they could have advanced, having led until around the 75th minute).

Regardless, the Bayern management appears to be kind of clueless in recent years, considering they've had a new coach almost every year since 2020 (Flick, Nagelsmann, Tuchel and now most likely Kompany.. a new sporting director..). Though Eberl and Freund are quite experienced and definitely an upgrade to Kahn and Salihamdzic. Maybe they have a clear plan with Kompany and see potential in him..

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If you don't know how he fared then how can you know his profile fits? Talking absolute nonsense.
I bet you have a ton of opinions on players and coaches that you didn't see enough by your own standards. See, if I was in charge of recruitment at a football club I would obviously put more effort in the scouting but I'm not and I'm not going to watch fecking Burnley before taking a guess on an internet forum. That's why god created football articles. In fact, we signed a player from Burnley last summer and I researched how Kompany sets up and if Tella fits in our tactical approach, only to find that he seemingly has similar principles to Alonso. And you know what, I also trust the opinion of the guy who is about to sign him because he has a great record with coaches and in recent times pursued a certain profile of coaches. Eberl had been observing Alonso for years when we signed him and almost convinced him to sign for Gladbach when most fans didn't even think he was good enough for an EL level club. And he also opted for de Zerbi at Bayern, another coach of a similar tactical profile who I rate very highly. That's enough information for me to have an opinion - not a definitve one, it can still be subject to change, but we're on a fecking internet forum, what I say here has no consequences for anyone whatsoever. Eberl is trying to unearth the next top coach before he has his breakthrough at another club and that makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How do you know his profile fits Bayern if you haven't followed what he's been doing at Burnley?

When did I say I know? I don't, I'm just connecting the dots. A great DoF who's not afraid of making unconventional choices when he's convinced of a coach targeting him after pursuing coaches of a profile that sound very similar to how Kompany was described in articles I read after he got Burnley promoted last season.

Oh, and maybe even more importantly, you guys seem to think he's shit and that's a very strong indication he isn't ;)

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
feck this shit. We are Man Utd 2.0. All because the guys in charge.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Maybe Bayern will reconsider this now that ETH is suddenly 99% likely to be available within a few days

Rojofiam

I would have expected them going for Poch and ETH tbh.
I don't think Kompany is such a disastrous move for Bayern as presumably they've done their research on him and as a Pep disciple he's also an adherent of positional play and possession football, which will obviously work with way better in the Bundesliga with Bayern's squad, than it did for Burnley's players in the PL.

However, I think a lot of this is true for ETH as well and the Bayern squad would suit him better too, as well as the Bundesliga.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Am I mad in thinking Brendan Rogers might have been a shout if going for Kompany?

Got promoted from the Championship playing posession-based football with Swansea and actually kept them up rather comfortably without sacrificing that style. Didn't spend much that summer.

Some experience managing a big club, almost won a title. As well as liking posession, his teams like to attack.

Has won other trophies.

Rojofiam

Am I mad in thinking Brendan Rogers might have been a shout if going for Kompany?

Got promoted from the Championship playing posession-based football with Swansea and actually kept them up rather comfortably without sacrificing that style. Didn't spend much that summer.

Some experience managing a big club, almost won a title.

Has won other trophies.
I think there are dozens of managers who could win the league with Bayern, even with finally a serious competitor appearing in Alonso's Leverkusen, as well as go far in the CL with the squad they have.

Is Rodgers one of them? I'd say he probably is.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think Kompany is such a disastrous move for Bayern as presumably they've done their research on him and as a Pep disciple he's also an adherent of positional play and possession football, which will obviously work with way better in the Bundesliga with Bayern's squad, than it did for Burnley's players in the PL.

However, I think a lot of this is true for ETH as well and the Bayern squad would suit him better too, as well as the Bundesliga.
Very true and I am also not too pesimistic about Kompany. Truth be told, I wouldn‘t mind ETH. He‘s kinda been Pep‘s understudy at Bayern and to me Pep‘s football is still the version I want to see being played there.
But yes, on paper Kompany could work. Similar principles, speaks German/English/French, knows the league although it‘s been a while, had authority as a player etc.

Rojofiam

Very true and I am also not too pesimistic about Kompany. Truth be told, I wouldn‘t mind ETH. He‘s kinda been Pep‘s understudy at Bayern and to me Pep‘s football is still the version I want to see being played there.
But yes, on paper Kompany could work. Similar principles, speaks German/English/French, knows the league although it‘s been a while, had authority as a player etc.
I think it could work as well, and let's be honest, Bayern can afford to take such risks, even with Leverkusen in the picture now. CL qualification is very unlikely to be in danger, and if they've clearly made a mistake, they can get someone to steady the ship easily.

If it does work out, you might have a good manager for 5 or more years.

PS: If I was Bayern, I'd also assess Xavi's situation. Could be another decent option.

TheRedHearted

With Ten Hag and Poch available sort of insane to go with Kompany. Unless it’s a year stop gap and Alonso is coming in a year? Idk. I imagine Alonso goes to Madrid in a year or two if he holds up

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
With Ten Hag and Poch available sort of insane to go with Kompany. Unless it’s a year stop gap and Alonso is coming in a year? Idk. I imagine Alonso goes to Madrid in a year or two if he holds up
Poch doesn't speak German, EtH is known at Bayern. Probably they had reasons not to go for those two.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

Some experience managing a big club, almost won a title. As well as liking posession, his teams like to attack.

Has won other trophies.
Brendan Rodgers best before date has expired !! The Scottish prem is his level. The last season at Leicester was horrendous , he didn't have a clue.

criticalanalysis

Based on what we've seen with ETH and Utd, I think the idea that ETH will play Guardiola type football because he worked under/near him in some capacity is a bit simplistic.

Nobody abandons that kind of principle to do the hogwash crap that we've been serving up this year and even last.

By some accounts, ETH actually prefers very vertical football in his game, is quite 'pragmatic' and doesn't necessarily prioritise possession as a form of a defence the way Guardiola does. They're quite different fundamentally and don't be fooled by his Ajax stint like we have. I'm not saying he won't possibly be a good/great manager for another team but it may not be in the style you're thinking of.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not even a Bayern supporter and even I feel triggered by this. :lol:

Feels a bit when we appointed Benitez and everyone knew from the beginning it was a terrible idea.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Brendan Rodgers best before date has expired !! The Scottish prem is his level. The last season at Leicester was horrendous , he didn't have a clue.
I know he was awful with Leicester, that was kind of the point and it wasn't meant to be a glowing endorsement for Rodgers. It was said semi-jokingly too. Kompany is a surprising choice to me, and neither of them would be someone who I'd have thought Bayern would be interested in.

Recent jobs are obviously important when appointing managers, everyone wants to see someone arriving when they're on the up. Rodgers' time at Leicester ended on a big a downturn but then Kompany recently getting relegated was not good for him either.

Burnley's relegation is less bad than when Leicester went down and we always know newly promoted teams can struggle but it's difficult to look at this past season with any kind of positivity for Kompany. Won the Championship with ease, spent quite a lot and ended up on 24 points without ever looking like surviving. There was nothing good there.

From previous work you could genuinley make a case for Rodgers over Kompany though. At least he has more of a foundation, comparing Swansea to Burnley Rodgers did better in similar circumstances albeit a long time ago now. He has other things on his CV that would be plus points over Kompany too. At Celtic like Bayern he's expected to win and has, with the obvious caveat that it's at a lower level. Ultimately failed at Liverpool but that's experience at one of the biggest clubs in the world and they were entertaining in full flow. Kompany doesn't have any of that.

I don't think a club of Bayern's stature should be looking at either but if it came to it I probably would go for Rodgers over Kompany if I had to choose one of them, hoping to re-kindle some past promise that eclipses anything that Kompany has shown yet.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Sky Sports News are reporting a fee of £10.2m has been agreed between Burnley and Bayern, Bayern must be daft if they are paying that much.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It actually happened?

Good luck to all involved it feels like a crazy decision but who knows? I like him, for some reason, feck knows....

Imagine he goes and does well and then goes back to city in a few years a much better coach and leads them onto more domination..... nightmare fuel.