Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don’t care about his stint with Burnley. The question is, wether his personality and tactics fit a club like ours. Tactically, what I’m reading sounds encouraging. I can’t judge his personality, though.

I don’t mind the signing. Wouldn’t be shocked, if it turned out well, wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t. But considering the amount of top managers we went through lately, getting someone like him might make sense.
He was crap at Anderlecht too, though.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Isn’t Uli Hoeness a convict? Why did Bayern take him back?
He served his sentence, is therefore rehabilitated, integrated and a better man. Or something along those lines. ;) He was elected in a democratic process, so there‘s that. On a more serious note: he is a massive bellend and should shut up. At least he was one of the very few celebrities that actually went to jail for tax evsion.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think this kind of phenomenon is becoming more frequent every year, specially if the manager tries to instill a possession hipster football style. Somehow they start getting a lot of hype in the market.

Red Royal

Poor Harry Kane... he has gone from a year ago nailed on for a league triumph to being managed by Vincent Kompany!

diarm

You can get 4-1 on Leverkusen retaining the Bundesliga next year. Easy money.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Bayern are currently a basket case. It's becoming like the viewing zoo at PSG. All sorts of fascinating stuff to see.

justboy68

He was crap at Anderlecht too, though.
Don't think that's quite right. From what I read they were 8th when he joined. He took them to 4th and 3rd and then after he left they finished 11th. I guess they were just going through a rough few years by their normal standards.

JagUTD

So Bayern have decided to give up on winning things?

Interesting move but if any club can pull this off, it's Brian Munik

whitbyviking

Bayern Munich spent £100m or whatever it was on Kane just to troll him. Dedication!

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Don’t care about his stint with Burnley. The question is, wether his personality and tactics fit a club like ours. Tactically, what I’m reading sounds encouraging. I can’t judge his personality, though.

I don’t mind the signing. Wouldn’t be shocked, if it turned out well, wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t. But considering the amount of top managers we went through lately, getting someone like him might make sense.
I think that you'll be fine. He's a promising manager, in my opinion.

RoyH1

I think that you'll be fine. He's a promising manager, in my opinion.
It's the size of the perceived promotion that people are reacting to. If he'd taken the job at let's say Leipzig or Werder Bremen there'd be much less talk about it. But Bayern is unquestionably one the very top elite clubs in the world and it feels like too much, too soon.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bayern have appointed a bloke whose only achievement is relegation? Interesting.
Why ignore him taking Burnley to the PL with 100 points?

It's the size of the perceived promotion that people are reacting to. If he'd taken the job at let's say Leipzig or Werder Bremen there'd be much less talk about it. But Bayern is unquestionably one the very top elite clubs in the world and it feels like too much, too soon.
I think Bayern are more placed than the average person to know whether the job is beyond his capabilities or not

And there is no standard path to management at top positions in recent times. No one cares about you managing League 1 then Championship then relegation club then lower table club then CL club then big club in that order. Do you have tactical chops around you, that go beyond hoof and pray? Can you drill that into the players we give you? That's all that is needed.

RoyH1

Why ignore him taking Burnley to the PL with 100 points?

I think Bayern are more placed than the average person to know whether the job is beyond his capabilities or not

And there is no standard path to management at top positions in recent times. No one cares about you managing League 1 then Championship then relegation club then lower table club then CL club then big club in that order. Do you have tactical chops around you, that go beyond hoof and pray? Can you drill that into the players we give you? That's all that is needed.
But I'm not your average person? I'm RoyH1 from the Caf and as such, eminently qualified to pass judgement on who's qualified or not.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Don’t know about that. Nagelsmann did exactly what people are demanding. He failed.
I think that this idea, that managers need to climb the ranks in order to be able to manage a topclub is flawed. Some coaches work best at the very top. Someone like Pep for example would probably be a disaster at smaller clubs. That doesn’t make him a bad choice for the biggest clubs there are, though.
So the question about Kompany is not wether his previous work was good or great even. It’s about his fit for a topclub. And from what I’ve been gathering the last few hours and by looking at the managers he played for, the outlook really isn’t that bad. It’s actually quite promising.
He wants to play a possession based approach, learned from some great coaches with this approach and has great experience from being a player. All this in multiple leagues and as a leader of his teams.
Other great managers started in a similar way. Everyone’s darling right now, Alonso, for example had a similar career before breaking records with Leverkusen. Going by his cv, however, we would apparently have been really stupid to sign him.

I’m willing to give Kompany the benefit of the doubt and think the positive arguments actually outweigh the negative ones. I have a good feeling about him. And even if this ends in disaster, who cares? At least we tried something new. We went for the established star managers before in Ancelotti and Tuchel and it didn’t work out. So why not change the approach?

IRN-BRUno

It's a gamble but one probably worth taking considering they've missed out on their top targets. This season was poor from him but the year before showed what he can do with a squad that's superior to most others in the league.

For Kompany this seems like a perfect opportunity to get experience at CL level before the City job becomes available.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don’t know about that. Nagelsmann did exactly what people are demanding. He failed.
I think that this idea, that managers need to climb the ranks in order to be able to manage a topclub is flawed. Some coaches work best at the very top. Someone like Pep for example would probably be a disaster at smaller clubs. That doesn’t make him a bad choice for the biggest clubs there are, though.
So the question about Kompany is not wether his previous work was good or great even. It’s about his fit for a topclub. And from what I’ve been gathering the last few hours and by looking at the managers he played for, the outlook really isn’t that bad. It’s actually quite promising.
He wants to play a possession based approach, learned from some great coaches with this approach and has great experience from being a player. All this in multiple leagues and as a leader of his teams.
Other great managers started in a similar way. Everyone’s darling right now, Alonso, for example had a similar career before breaking records with Leverkusen. Going by his cv, however, we would apparently have been really stupid to sign him.

I’m willing to give Kompany the benefit of the doubt and think the positive arguments actually outweigh the negative ones. I have a good feeling about him. And even if this ends in disaster, who cares? At least we tried something new. We went for the established star managers before in Ancelotti and Tuchel and it didn’t work out. So why not change the approach?
On point. Kompany could be a very good fit at Bayern with his playstyle. I think there are many underrated managers who never get the chance at a top club out there because of the requirement of having managed one or at least achieved something big. On the other hand, many good but not great managers get regular chances because of past accomplishments. Eberl is already having a good influence on your club. It is a very good sign for you that he seems to have convinced Hoeneß of a relatively unproven manager. I assume that took lots of effort given Kompany's vita and Hoeneß' attitude.

mu4c_20le

Yeah but they can still get it wrong, and then we can laugh at them when it happens.

Can it work? Of course. But the obvious issue is that he isn't flexible enough to save a club from relegation, and is probably still tactically naive. It's a big gamble, probably out of desperation.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I actually think Kompany comes across as an intelligent guy and a good manager, but I'm not really sure what to think of this new modern fad of judging a manager only his footballing philosophy. If it aligns with the powers that be, they just assume results will come and hope he'll just learn all the intangibles along the way with being an elite coach/manager?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ffs, how do you think Tuchel is feeling right now?
How should he feel? If he wanted he could have stayed, but he deemed the conditions unacceptable. So either he feels sympathy for Kompany (than it would be a feeling like "poor fella") or he is just laughing his ass off about this whole situation.

TheGame

£100m spent, £20m blown on a dropped GK alone. Luton spending no where near as much got more points than them and scored more goals yet we are led to believe Kompany plays this great brand of football.. He failed to adapt to the PL. 3rd worst defensive record, 3rd worst in league goals scored, 5 wins all season. Absolutely abysmal record yet he's landed on his feet due to his name and his playing record.

Ludens the Red

£100m spent, £20m blown on a dropped GK alone. Luton spending no where near as much got more points than them and scored more goals yet we are led to believe Kompany plays this great brand of football.. He failed to adapt to the PL. 3rd worst defensive record, 3rd worst in league goals scored, 5 wins all season. Absolutely abysmal record yet he's landed on his feet due to his name and his playing record.
You forgot the most crucial bit .
He worked under Guardiola…. There’s definitely a massive hype surrounding any coach/player who happened to play under him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Xabi Alonso failed to adapt his football to Segunda Division and in his next stint, he won the Bundesliga with a team not named Bayern, made it to the EL final and remained 51 games unbeaten across all competitions.

TheGame

Xabi Alonso failed to adapt his football to Segunda Division and in his next stint, he won the Bundesliga with a team not named Bayern, made it to the EL final and remained 51 games unbeaten across all competitions.
That's quite a reach. You forget to mention Kompany already had a managerial job at Anderlecht where he didn't pull up any trees either. It also doesn't dispute any of the stuff I've said in terms of Kompany this season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Ffs, how do you think Tuchel is feeling right now?
In what way? He could’ve stayed if he wanted, but he didn’t want. I think after Bayern made it clear they intended on replacing him, and so it was agreed he was leaving, he made peace with that, and likely worked without pressure. Then, as it would happen, Bayern were rebuffed by virtually every managerial target they went after. This also coincided with Bayern getting to the CL semi and largely outplaying Madrid, only to go out in extremely unfortunate - and slightly controversial circumstances. Added to that, quite a lot of fan support for him staying. So the Bayern bosses went back to the table and tried to figure out a deal for him to stay. Tuchel listened but I’m not surprised he didn’t agree a deal. After watching Bayern come back to him after missing out on their top choice replacements, must’ve felt somewhat insulting. I imagine he’s happy with the pay off, and leaving with his reputation intact, or even enhanced.

If he comes to United, he’ll be back in the PL - which is where the real action is - and probably at the best time. Expectations are at an all time low, and for the first time in over a decade there is a proper structure in place, and genuine elite subject matter experts in each post. The squad will get a major rejuvenation this summer, and all signs point to United overhauling everything from key personnel, to infrastructure, to move towards becoming a true world class set up. It would be almost impossible to have done worse than Ten Hag. So it’s an easy job to take if offered. Will get paid through the nose too.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's quite a reach. You forget to mention Kompany already had a managerial job at Anderlecht where he didn't pull up any trees either. It also doesn't dispute any of the stuff I've said in terms of Kompany this season.
He got relegated with a team that was just promoted. I don't think you can read too much into the results since the players are probably too weak. See, I'm not disputing that he is very lucky that this chance opened up but from Bayern's perspective, it makes sense to choose him in this current situation. And trust me, I wish Bayern the worst sporting crisis imaginable but feel that this could be a good signing for them. They need somebody who works methodically and changes their playstyle back to where they came from and right now there are absolutely no proven managers for this on the market apart from maybe Xavi. I would have cheered if they signed Flick because I would have known what they are getting. But Kompany is a mostly unknown quantity with the right philosophy in mind for them. I'd prefer they sign a coach who I know will be good but nothing special than one who could be anything between world class and terrible.

TheGame

He got relegated with a team that was just promoted. I don't think you can read too much into the results since the players are probably too weak. See, I'm not disputing that he is very lucky that this chance opened up but from Bayern's perspective, it makes sense to choose him in this current situation. And trust me, I wish Bayern the worst sporting crisis imaginable but feel that this could be a good signing for them. They need somebody who works methodically and changes their playstyle back to where they came from and right now there are absolutely no proven managers for this on the market apart from maybe Xavi. I would have cheered if they signed Flick because I would have known what they are getting. But Kompany is a mostly unknown quantity with the right philosophy in mind for them. I'd prefer they sign a coach who I know will be good but nothing special than one who could be anything between world class and terrible.
Sorry have to disagree, you seem to be absolving him of blame for Burnley where he had money to spend and to shape the team how we wanted. He got that and they were awful. Will be interesting to see how it works out at Bayern.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sorry have to disagree, you seem to be absolving him of blame for Burnley where he had money to spend and to shape the team how we wanted. He got that and they were awful. Will be interesting to see how it works out at Bayern.
I have no idea how he fared at Burnley and for what he was to blame :) I just think his profile fits Bayern and no proven coach of his profile is available so I'd prefer a proven bad fit over an unproven good fit.

tomaldinho1

The sole thing that seems to be in his favour is this idea of him being better andmore able to implement his style of play 'if he had better players'....which surely applies to every manager ever?