Vincent Kompany | Burnley Manager

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The only team in the last decade who won the championship with 10 points clear has been Leeds, and there hasn't been one in the last decade with 100+ points which Burnley can still achieve.

He definitely did prove something this season. But of course it remains to be seen how he'll hold up against teams with a bigger budget in the Premier League, that much is true.
He may turn out to be a good manager but Burnley spent £34mill. To put that into perspective- that’s equal to the total spend of 20 of the other 23 clubs.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He may turn out to be a good manager but Burnley spent £34mill. To put that into perspective- that’s equal to the total spend of 20 of the other 23 clubs.
Someone on a United forum should know that money spent doesn't necessarily lead to results on the pitch, even if you're not a Utd fan :D

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Ex City obviously, but I like him. Strong character and speaks with authority. Has his team playing good football too.
Here's hoping that he can be one of the few guys to be a great player and a top manager. But those people are few and far between.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Someone on a United forum should know that money spent doesn't necessarily lead to results on the pitch, even if you're not a Utd fan :D
This post only makes sense if we’d have spent the amount of 17/20 of the PL clubs. The reality is we’ve spent as well as a a fair few other clubs, yours included.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
You can't knock the job he's done, however like many promoted teams over the years...the toughest job now is transitioning and being able to cope with inevitable setbacks in the Premier League.

But getting out of the Championship as clear winners is a big achievement, especially when you consider the massive changes in players without dipping into a budget, but actually turning a profit in sales/purchases.

In terms of points and the gap, only Wolves and Leicester are comparable and they've both had good runs as PL clubs so the Burnley stigma could be about to change.

Remember the geese

Gerrard's stock was pretty high after winning the title with Rangers. Did that team play good football? I've no idea.
I think Kompany is a bit more of a genuine winner and leader. He gives me the impression that he'd be a success in anything that he attempted. There's also the Guardiola factor. I'm sure he's learnt a lot from him. Gerrard did a good job at Rangers but flopped hard in the Prem.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think Kompany is a bit more of a genuine winner and leader. He gives me the impression that he'd be a success in anything that he attempted. There's also the Guardiola factor. I'm sure he's learnt a lot from him. Gerrard did a good job at Rangers but flopped hard in the Prem.
Maybe. Time will tell I guess.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This post only makes sense if we’d have spent the amount of 17/20 of the PL clubs. The reality is we’ve spent as well as a a fair few other clubs, yours included.
No, more than every other club apart from Chelsea (net) over the past 5 years. United have spent double what Liverpool have in that time frame. But definitely not as much v peers as Burnley TBF.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Back from the break on 5 June :eek:

Their season ended like 4 weeks ago. They played their last game May 8. They’ve been chilling for a month. This isn’t shockingly early at all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It kind of is though. Gonna be a hell of a long pre-season for them.
Is it? United's first preseason game is on July 22 from what I can see, I'd assume they'll report back to training a week or two before that which is about 4 weeks about your last game of the season. Chelsea's schedule is similar. I doubt Burnley will be putting the players through an extremely strenuous training camp in June but reporting back 4 weeks after the last game seems normal to me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is it? United's first preseason game is on July 22 from what I can see, I'd assume they'll report back to training a week or two before that which is about 4 weeks about your last game of the season. Chelsea's schedule is similar. I doubt Burnley will be putting the players through an extremely strenuous training camp in June but reporting back 4 weeks after the last game seems normal to me.
Pre-season is usually thought of in terms of the number of weeks before your next match, not number of weeks after your last one.

izec

They should have given the players another 2-3 weeks. Obviously, they should keep fit privately. But going now into pre season is unusual.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pre-season is usually thought of in terms of the number of weeks before your next match, not number of weeks after your last one.
Fair enough. It just didn't stand out to me as something particularly out of the ordinary. I googled Burnley's preseason plans (yes, I'm bored :lol: ) and it seems like they're a doing 10 day training camp in Portugal then giving the players a 2 week break before preseason starts properly. It all seems rather fair enough to me.

Leg-End

Half of these promoted Championship sides have half a new squad by September anyway.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It will also be less ironic when they are bottom, having shipped 30+ goals over the next 10 games :(

Adnan

Talent Spotter
no offence Adnan but that was fecking awful
No offence taken. But I shared the clip because I've actually encountered people like that who get irritated by descriptive terms like inverted fullback, double pivot or first phase etc and will argue points that are easily refuted.

So I found the clip to be quite funny for those reasons.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
No offence taken. But I shared the clip because I've actually encountered people like that who get irritated by descriptive terms like inverted fullback, double pivot or first phase etc and will argue points that are easily refuted.

So I found the clip to be quite funny for those reasons.
I thought it was a great find. I know plenty of people from Burnley and that hits the nail.

Chairman Steve

We play them the weekend after next. They’re currently pointless. Kompany getting sacked after this weekend before playing us? :p

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is that the second time they've collapsed at home in the final few minutes of a game!?

Ludens the Red

Reckon he’s she’ll shocked at his side this year. He definitely thought they’d be doing a lot better. Don’t know if his comments earlier in the week about expecting the league to be harder was a piss take or something he was telling himself because they generally keep the ball more than their opponents. But they’re so easy to beat it seems. Let them faff about with the ball for half an hour then just finish them off in the second half with unchallenged balls into the box.