Vinicius Junior

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not really, all Mbappe needs is an okay euro, which is pretty likely, considering the squad France have, and he will win it.

International football overrides everything.
But Vini has Copa América too

RoyH1

Best player in the world in my opinion. Should win the Balon d'Or.
I don’t know if he’s the best, but he’s certainly the most electrifying and seems so dangerous every time he touches the ball. He completely eviscerated Kimmich tonight

marktan

Why can't we sign players like this from the Brazillian league? I'd take 10 of those for £40m over spending £80m a pop on Sancho, Antony, Maguire, Lukaku and £40-60m on the likes of Mount, Onana, AWB etc.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People talking about how Mbappé would displace him and stuff like that haven't been paying attention to Madrid, or Mbappé. The problem isn't where each would play - they'd play close to each other, that's the important thing. The issue is Mbappé doesn't work at all defensively, plus he had his chance to sign for us 2 years ago and decided to be a little gobshite. He deserves to never win anything of note anymore, his legacy never amounting to anything special. Feck him

KeanoMagicHat

If Real is smart, they don't disrupt the team chemistry. Vinicius at LW is perfect, there is no need for Mbappe there.
Yeah their ideal player would be a younger version of Benzema to complement Vinicius and Rodrygo, plus Endrick coming through.

Taribo's Gap

Why can't we sign players like this from the Brazillian league? I'd take 10 of those for £40m over spending £80m a pop on Sancho, Antony, Maguire, Lukaku and £40-60m on the likes of Mount, Onana, AWB etc.
United is just not a preferred destination for such players. This is an in-built advantage that clubs like Real and Barcelona have, although Xavi is doing is level best to try to ruin that for Barca.

Baxquux

United is just not a preferred destination for such players. This is an in-built advantage that clubs like Real and Barcelona have, although Xavi is doing is level best to try to ruin that for Barca.
This is true, though Chelsea are favourites for 'Messinho' - there was also a chance at one point that they could have acquired Neymar before Barca. Obviously the 'climate', aspects of the culture and even just reputation (though if United had been gifted City Group style funding or RA spending levels under SAF in the 2000s/2010-13, when at reputational height, this might have made things more interesting) make it easier, but it's also about proactively cultivated links with the clubs and Brazilian agents, amongst other things. By all accounts, Chelsea are going in and trying to line up agreements for some of these guys 2-3 years before they can formally join, as well as expanding the contacts book.

The players are obviously appearing somewhere on the United radar, as for most clubs with global scouting, but the club don't seem invested in those SA avenues (especially Brazil). Given the supposed emphasis on 'smart' not 'silly' money, gambles in that direction (even if it means agreeing to more complex ownership deals for the interim, then converted once the player reaches 18 and is registered with the club in the UK - not my area, so I'm just speculating) are probably worth pursuing more heavily.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah their ideal player would be a younger version of Benzema to complement Vinicius and Rodrygo, plus Endrick coming through.
Benzema was some lightning in a bottle type of stuff. Unlikely we find someone like that anytime soon and I think one thing the club did well is to not try and replicate that 3-peat CL team 1:1. Rebuild with different profiles that are available and make that work.

jesperjaap

Stating the obvious, Antony could have been one, we also signed one after a seasonin Europe in Anderson who without the injury and carefree attitude to getting and remaining fitwould have been brilliant but failed ultimately despite a good first 15-18months.

The main thing is though....Madrid and Barcelona in the past are signing the cream of the crop....and probably Manstantuno next.....we have signedd the twins, KLeberson, Possebon and others. Also seenus linked with many others over the years....90% of whih have never had big careers.

I do agree with the sentiment though,not just South America but other countries, partiularly France for me. Obvious recent ones we have been heavily linked to before they moved, Enzo Fernandes, Caicedo, Alvarez i South America we couldhave got all three for less than pretty much any of our big signings and personally though I ratethe likes of Olise and Braitwaite I think there are othersdefinately better around the samecost and lower and several with muchhigher celings at a fraction of the cost and we needto make 6-8signings being realistic....its actually more andthe only ways to do that in one window is to setll several stars and a LOT of other players OR with 2/3 £10-30m signings fromthse types of places.

Saying that, if Mbappe moves and he is made availble....which seems to meno chance of happening, Viniscus is the only player in the worldIwould break the bank for.....instantly solves anarea we have spent fortunes in i fees and wages and neverbeen clost to solving sine Giggs retired

KeanoMagicHat

This is true, though Chelsea are favourites for 'Messinho' - there was also a chance at one point that they could have acquired Neymar before Barca. Obviously the 'climate', aspects of the culture and even just reputation (though if United had been gifted City Group style funding or RA spending levels under SAF in the 2000s/2010-13, when at reputational height, this might have made things more interesting) make it easier, but it's also about proactively cultivated links with the clubs and Brazilian agents, amongst other things. By all accounts, Chelsea are going in and trying to line up agreements for some of these guys 2-3 years before they can formally join, as well as expanding the contacts book.

The players are obviously appearing somewhere on the United radar, as for most clubs with global scouting, but the club don't seem invested in those SA avenues (especially Brazil). Given the supposed emphasis on 'smart' not 'silly' money, gambles in that direction (even if it means agreeing to more complex ownership deals for the interim, then converted once the player reaches 18 and is registered with the club in the UK - not my area, so I'm just speculating) are probably worth pursuing more heavily.
Especially when one of our most successful young players at the moment is Garnacho, although more Spanish trained.

Todd

Kid is an absolute terror when he's on song. He was cooking Bayern down the left side in the second half.

I don't think Madrid should even consider displacing Vini to accommodate Mbappe. Unless they plan on just playing Mbappe as a 9?

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
People talking about how Mbappé would displace him and stuff like that haven't been paying attention to Madrid, or Mbappé. The problem isn't where each would play - they'd play close to each other, that's the important thing. The issue is Mbappé doesn't work at all defensively, plus he had his chance to sign for us 2 years ago and decided to be a little gobshite. He deserves to never win anything of note anymore, his legacy never amounting to anything special. Feck him
Mbappe really fecked up big time 2 years ago.

Had he made that shift
1. He would still be earning much much more that what Madrid offered him now
2. He would have made LW spot his own and had become the main man at Madrid. Now Vini and Jude are already there si he'll compete with them. Especially as one of those two is likely to win Ballon D'or before him.
3. Winning back Madrid fans won't be easy.

Ideally Madrid should not get him. Get that Brazilian guy Chelsea are trying to buy. That route has worked for them. But we know Perez won't do that.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
You guys overrate a lot this supposed preference for Madrid or Barcelona among Brazilian players. When United was the best team in the world and, foremost, had CR7, you guys were the biggest reference here and I'm sure that any kid would respond that they preferred to play for United than for Real Madrid at that moment. Brazilians don't care about any European club in particular; they just recognize the superiority of European football and that you've to play there to be considered one of the best.

About the cultural and climatic thing, top players gain so much money that they can make their massive houses as hot as the sun, can contract whatever kind of cook they want, can bring all their family and friends to live with them, etc. Any country will be fun when you are rich.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
I'm not following this closely, but this episode with Vitor Roque are resonating quite badly around here. Apparently, they weren't very patient with his adaptation period.

E-mal

He ruined Kimmich for me, had him on toast all day. Terrific player but a cnut.
Will gladly take him at united(tongue in cheeck) if Real does crazy things to make room for Mbappe

FCAES_7

I remember when rumors had it we wanted to pay 50M for him at the time of Ole, and everyone laughed about it!! what an upgrade it would be on what we have right now. My god what a team we would have if competent people where in place

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not following this closely, but this episode with Vitor Roque are resonating quite badly around here. Apparently, they weren't very patient with his adaptation period.
Isn't the case that Deco was at the forefront of the campaign to bring Vitor Roque to Barca and that Xavi was against it from the beginning, thinking he needed other areas addressed, so essentially this poor kid was brought there against the coach's will and he's since gone out of his way not to use him preferring Ferran Torres in the false 9? Listening to Barca fans, it sounds like this kid is stuck as the unfortunate pawn in a game of club politics.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Is Kimmich not a midfielder, who sometimes has to play RB?

I don't know why he is expected to stop Vinicius, especially without back-up a lot of the time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn't the case that Deco was at the forefront of the campaign to bring Vitor Roque to Barca and that Xavi was against it from the beginning, thinking he needed other areas addressed, so essentially this poor kid was brought there against the coach's will and he's since gone out of his way not to use him preferring Ferran Torres in the false 9? Listening to Barca fans, it sounds like this kid is stuck as the unfortunate pawn in a game of club politics.
Considering how much they paid for him and their financial situation, if that were the case they were mental to convince Xavi to stay

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I don't know why he is expected to stop Vinicius, especially without back-up a lot of the time.
Yeah, started out at RB then got moved to midfield iirc (similar to what pep did with Lahm). Then he was fairly much a midfielder - as far as I’m aware anyway. Was surprised to see him at RB but I’m guessing injuries forced it?

Vini was electric though. Not sure there’d have been many RB’s who would’ve kept him quiet last night. Fantastic player.

Amity Survivor

You guys overrate a lot this supposed preference for Madrid or Barcelona among Brazilian players. When United was the best team in the world and, foremost, had CR7, you guys were the biggest reference here and I'm sure that any kid would respond that they preferred to play for United than for Real Madrid at that moment. Brazilians don't care about any European club in particular; they just recognize the superiority of European football and that you've to play there to be considered one of the best.

About the cultural and climatic thing, top players gain so much money that they can make their massive houses as hot as the sun, can contract whatever kind of cook they want, can bring all their family and friends to live with them, etc. Any country will be fun when you are rich.
Always interesting to hear different perspectives on these things, most of us assume South American players prefer Spain.
But I guess the reality is money talks as always.
Thanks for your post

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

He's probably played somewhere near as much at RB during his career as in midfield, has been playing there in pretty much every game since late February, and won a CL final playing RB against Neymar and Mbappe.

Vinicius smoked him, but it's not like he's some random utility player they've put there. He's not the best defensively , but he's been capable of Alves/Marcelo type performances, running games from the fullback position plenty of times.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Weren't Madrid offering him around a few years back ?
I seem to remember rumours circulating about our supposed interest.