Virgil van Dijk | Performances

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Bit of both, but nearly all Allison.

van Dijk was arguably at fault for not heading it, but after that he blocked his man so Allison could clear. Don't know why Allison shat the bed.
VVD blocked Martinelli so that Allison can come and collect the ball. If VVD headed it from that position, it would have been risky. He chose the safer option.

Find it baffling that people are blaming him for this goal. It's just haters waiting to jump on anything they can find against him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
VVD blocked Martinelli so that Allison can come and collect the ball. If VVD headed it from that position, it would have been risky. He chose the safer option.

Find it baffling that people are blaming him for this goal. It's just haters waiting to jump on anything they can find against him.
In a more conventional team the centre-half could have safely glanced that back to the goalkeeper in his box. Not so straightforward with the way Liverpool play as we can see by Alison’s starting position outside the box. I agree it’s all Alisson.

For the first I think Konate needs to step up or track. He ended up doing neither.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I thought out of the two, Konate had a worse game overall. He’s arguably been the better player this season too.

The third goal was somewhat lazy from Van Dijk. Alisson could do more. I think we were done by that point.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
2nd goal I'd chalk it up to an "accident" but the 3rd goal was more shocking to me, the man was too scared to commit
Bit of a shitshow for all goals, really. He was in the middle of nowhere for the first goal, instead of focusing on the space in behind him and Havertz, he pushes forward on Odegaard.

Second goal is margins but also poor defending, looks like he gets the speed of the ball wrong and expects it to bounce further in towards the goalkeeper, when it doesn't it's a lazy attempt at brushing Martinelli aside where VVD ends up getting nudged into Alissons path, who then gets the angle towards the ball wrong so he can't get anything on it because he doesn't want to barge into VVD. As soon as the ball bounced he should've played it safe and just booted it out for a throw in.

Third goal he just waits far too long before he starts to close down Trossard.

Traub

I thought out of the two, Konate had a worse game overall. He’s arguably been the better player this season too.

The third goal was somewhat lazy from Van Dijk. Alisson could do more. I think we were done by that point.
Van Dijk looked gassed. It’s Feb, he’s getting older, it happens.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s just very lazy and arrogant. Roy Keane had it right when he called him out weeks ago.

There’s over 10 PL centre backs who I’d have over him.

Shinjch

Konate did look a bit ropey, but it felt like he was having to do the job of two. His workload was immense because the right back has very little interest in defending.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
“Virgil”
“Trent”

Since when did people start referring to these pool players by their first name.
It’s understandable, especially for Trent — who has the time to type in his full surname?

We (and many neutrals) often refer to United players this way too — Rio, Cristiano*, Bruno, Licha… it’s a weird hill to die on. For Dutch players it’s often acronyms but I can certainly understand those who prefer to use their first names instead (I don’t recall many calling van Persie or van der Sar Robin/Edwin, but for van Nistelrooy people often use Ruud).

* it’s a bit tougher with Portuguese/Brazilian players as their actual surname gets omitted entirely more often than not

“Bobby” for Firmino was the worst.
That one I agree with though, but I wouldn’t mind Roberto (except that it his case typing in his surname would be faster and would lead to less misunderstandings).

Mike Smalling

I was just watching the build-up to Arsenal's first goal, and he is in absolute no man's land, allowing Martinelli to run through on goal unchallenged.

Oranges038

I was just watching the build-up to Arsenal's first goal, and he is in absolute no man's land, allowing Martinelli to run through on goal unchallenged.
Yeah, he ran out and just jogs back like he thinks it's all under control, expects the keeper to make the save. Which he does to be fair, but he should be there or thereabouts for the second ball.

Loved seeing him get bumped off the ball for Martinelli's goal. He was awful for thr third goal.

VAR also didn't spend long looking at him dropping the knee of the Arsenal player on the ground, that was naughty, thought that could have at least been a yellow, but Konate was just sent off, so they couldn't do anything more to upset the cnuts.

fallengt

He's lucky that he plays for media's darling Liverpool.
If that was Onana & Maguire, we would never hear the end of it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That was a tactical problem that Klopp / Liverpool weren't able to answer. For the goal Arsenal are 5v4 and Odegaard and Havertz both drop into the hole. Gravenberch or McAllister is marking Martinelli and lets him run through. Gomez and Konate are both caught between marking the winger and the central threat. There are individual errors in there, but fundamentally all the players were fecked.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s just very lazy and arrogant. Roy Keane had it right when he called him out weeks ago.

There’s over 10 PL centre backs who I’d have over him.
At his absolute peak he had 3 forwards who would press the hell out of their opposition in Mane, Salah and Firmino. Three hard pressing midfielders in Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho and Liverpool averaged about 60-70% possession. I’m not saying he was average but my god did he enjoy the level of protection he was afforded.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Konate did look a bit ropey, but it felt like he was having to do the job of two. His workload was immense because the right back has very little interest in defending.
That was so predictable. Martinelli has the time of his life every time he plays against TAA. He needs to pick it up because Bradley has looked like a decent option there.

erikcred

That was so predictable. Martinelli has the time of his life every time he plays against TAA. He needs to pick it up because Bradley has looked like a decent option there.
Consider how predictable it was, Klopp should've started Bradley. He would've been high on confidence after the Chelsea game.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Consider how predictable it was, Klopp should've started Bradley. He would've been high on confidence after the Chelsea game.
Bradley's dad passed away a few days earlier so he missed the game.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Brilliant brilliant performance. Absolute colossus of a Centre Back.

Has it all. One of the most complete Centre Backs you'll ever see.

Calm, clutch and a great leader. Just has that invincible aura around him. That presence cannot be replaced.

One of the very best I have seen.

Spoony

The People's President
Brilliant brilliant performance. Absolute colossus of a Centre Back.

Has it all. One of the most complete Centre Backs you'll ever see.

Calm, clutch and a great leader. Just has that invincible aura around him. That presence cannot be replaced.

One of the very best I have seen.
Supports Neutral.

Okay....