g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Heck of a lot of change though isn’t it.

Downgrade on manager, whole new staff, club captain gone (good chance Salah moves too I feel)
Oh yeah, I mean I'm not expecting a title challenge or anything next season. Staying in the top four would be an achievement if we're losing all of them.

I really just want a clear indication of what the manager is trying to do on the pitch, and that it's kind of being implemented? We were a mixed bag in Klopp's first season but at least I could see something building there.

It's when there's not even a style of play that problems arise. I saw that with Hodgson.
He's not great at all tbf.
Yeah you're right. He's crap. Get rid.

criticalanalysis

I just don't see it and i doubt many will, given the option of a peak Rio or a peak Vidic in the squad and i doubt many would opt for Vidic.They were a great duo, but Rio was main man in that back 4 and he made Vidic look better than he was. Sublime defender for years and an all round excellent defender that could carry the ball forward for us, Vidic was more of an enforcer.
Well there have been threads here of Vidic v Ferdinand and it's pretty even. It was the other way around, Ferdinand was struggling to get to the next level at United until Vidic came and things changed. Not fair to call Vidic just an enforcer, you make him sound limited.

To compare, Vidic twice won Premier League Player of the Year (none for Ferdinand), twice Fifa World XI (once for Ferdinand), United's player of the year (none for Ferdinand), ESM Team of the Year x3 (Ferdinand x1).
Agree. It's been said before but the more time has passed, Rio has been elevated to almost defacto GOAT PL status and Vidic reduced as a physical bruiser. It's also same of the player in your username. Scholes been talked about as magical and sublime, whilst Keane was just a 'hard man' who ran around a lot.The truth imo is that both Vidic and Keane were a level above as players with their influence, actual in game contributions and ability to raise the bottom level of their teammates.

All four are fantastic players and needed each other for those successful periods of course but it grinds my gears a little, where I hear the retrospective putting down.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The guy's aura let's him commit two fouls in his own box without conceding a penalty for either of them. Truly a unique defender.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Konate has been better than VVD this season

Also Vidic is the best PL defender of all time

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What annoys me about him is his "legend" was all made up. Remember "No one dribbled past VVD"? and then when you watch him, he gets beaten by some random PL wingers because let's be honest, no CB is as fast as as winger. It happened multiple times even during his peak. He seems to be a better CB due to this stupid legend created by scouse bastards' fantasy. Then they froth at their mouth when debating VVD vs Ferdinand/Vidic saying "ackshually VVD never gets beaten or dribbled through" when it happened just 3 days ago. Feck off. You know what I think of when I see Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Nesta, Stam, etc? gladiators. But when I see VVD what I think of is mongo from Blazzing Saddles.

Last edited:

gajender

What annoys me about him is his "legend" was all made up. Remember "No one dribbled past VVD"? and then when you watch him, he gets beaten by some random PL wingers because let's be honest, no CB is as fast as as winger. It happened multiple times even during his peak. He seems to be a better CB due to this stupid legend created by scouse bastards' fantasy. Then they froth at their mouth when debating VVD vs Ferdinand/Vidic saying "ackshually VVD never gets beaten or dribbled through" when it happened just 3 days ago. Feck off.
His legend was created due to him being best CB in the world with no discernible weakness , more or less a complete CB who would have been asset for any Team irrespective of their style of play .

He simply had that aura of being invincible at his peak if you could see beyond his Club affiliation .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well there have been threads here of Vidic v Ferdinand and it's pretty even. It was the other way around, Ferdinand was struggling to get to the next level at United until Vidic came and things changed. Not fair to call Vidic just an enforcer, you make him sound limited.

To compare, Vidic twice won Premier League Player of the Year (none for Ferdinand), twice Fifa World XI (once for Ferdinand), United's player of the year (none for Ferdinand), ESM Team of the Year x3 (Ferdinand x1).
Vidic is the best defender I’ve ever seen in the PL (Stam was before my time). Then Rio. Then Terry, probably.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His legend was created due to him being best CB in the world with no discernible weakness , more or less a complete CB who would have been asset for any Team irrespective of their style of play .

He simply had that aura of being invincible at his peak if you could see beyond his Club affiliation .
He was the best because he had no other competitions within the same level. Put him in 2005-2008 era and he wouldn't even be considered to be the best in PL. So yeah everything made him to look better than he actually was.

gajender

He was the best because he had no other competitions within the same level. Put him in 2005-2007 era and he wouldn't even be considered to be the best in PL. So yeah everything made him to look better than he actually was.
He definitely would have been in conversation during that era as well and I have no doubt there would have plenty who would have considered him best even then .

amolbhatia50k

True. Such an invincible aura, Barcelona smashed them 4-1 at the Nou Camp and only a shocking defensive display from them saved his defence’s blushes. Even at their defensive best Liverpool never had the defensive record we did with Vidic. But I guess, “aura” is what matters not trophies and quality.

gajender

True. Such an invincible aura, Barcelona smashed them 4-1 at the Nou Camp and only a shocking defensive display from them saved his defence’s blushes. Even at their defensive best Liverpool never had the defensive record we did with Vidic. But I guess, “aura” is what matters not trophies and quality.
United defense had two of the possible best CB's ever seen in PL though basically cheat code and rest of the team wasn't shabby either that must count for something .

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
:lol:
And it's a different era as well, back then teams are more likely to play lanky, strong bastards up front and have a go at the goal, or to send their wingers up playing hoofball. Now whenever a goal happens more blame can be put into the midfielders than solely on the CBs. Not to mention there aren't a lot of world class CF playing these days who used to have 1v1 duel with CB and be a constant annoyance. On top of that Liverpool playstyle didn't require them to defend that much to begin with. But of course... it's about the aura, whatever that means.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
What annoys me about him is his "legend" was all made up. Remember "No one dribbled past VVD"? and then when you watch him, he gets beaten by some random PL wingers because let's be honest, no CB is as fast as as winger. It happened multiple times even during his peak. He seems to be a better CB due to this stupid legend created by scouse bastards' fantasy. Then they froth at their mouth when debating VVD vs Ferdinand/Vidic saying "ackshually VVD never gets beaten or dribbled through" when it happened just 3 days ago. Feck off. You know what I think of when I see Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Nesta, Stam, etc? gladiators. But when I see VVD what I think of is mongo from Blazzing Saddles.
So in todays day and age of social media, scrutiny by fans, but for a whole season of the media saying he wasn't dribbled past, no one showed anything to disprove it? And no CB is as fast than a winger? Seriously mate, do you ever watch football, it's not the 1980's anymore when CB's were mainly big immobile lumps, Dara O'Shea is the 4th quickest player in the PL this season (CB for Burnley), Antonio Rudiger when playing CB for Chelsea recorded the top speed in PL history, stopping a Brighton breakaway, 36.72km/h.

amolbhatia50k

United defense had two of the possible best CB's ever seen in PL though basically cheat code and rest of the team wasn't shabby either that must count for something .
As must winning the premier league five times and setting defensive records.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So in todays day and age of social media, scrutiny by fans, but for a whole season of the media saying he wasn't dribbled past, no one showed anything to disprove it? And no CB is as fast than a winger? Seriously mate, do you ever watch football, it's not the 1980's anymore when CB's were mainly big immobile lumps, Dara O'Shea is the 4th quickest player in the PL this season (CB for Burnley), Antonio Rudiger when playing CB for Chelsea recorded the top speed in PL history, stopping a Brighton breakaway, 36.72km/h.
Yeah it's only for one season but you fanboys keep yapping about it. That's my point.

You do realize CBs often don't have the same starting position as wingers right? they have to turn around first because they're defending, while wingers don't have to. Any athletes can clock out a really impressive speed but when you take account on what happens in the game (defenders defending from a stationary position), wingers are still faster than most if not all CBs. And you don't have to be extremely fast to be a good CB, it's more about positioning and Maldini would agree to that. So I didn't mean to compare top speed to top speed. Same thing with Ronaldo, Fergie used to say he ran faster with the ball. That didn't mean he was faster than all players, but on the pitch he looked faster than most, when playing football.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it's only for one season but you fanboys keep yapping about it. That's my point.

You do realize CBs often don't have the same starting position as wingers right? they have to turn around first because they're defending, while wingers don't have to. Any athletes can clock out a really impressive speed but when you take account on what happens in the game (defenders defending from a stationary position), wingers are still faster than most if not all CBs. And you don't have to be extremely fast to be a good CB, it's more about positioning and Maldini would agree to that. So I didn't mean to compare top speed to top speed. Same thing with Ronaldo, Fergie used to say he ran faster with the ball. That didn't mean he was faster than all players, but on the pitch he looked faster than most, when playing football.
all fair

Mike Smalling

This thread is so bitter and weird.

He is obviously an excellent centre back. One of the best PL CB’s of the last 10 years.
Yeah. People are just reacting to how the media elevates him to some sort of mythical, best-ever defender level and then overcorrecting the other way. This is amplified, because he seems like a bit of a prick.

But I think there is also some genuine points to be made about how he hasn't had the number of excellent seasons of the likes of Rio, Vidic, Kompany, Terry, etc., and about how he isn't the player he once was. The few Liverpool games I've watched this seasons, it's been Konate that has stood out in defense - not van Dijk.

Neutral like Switzerland

...if Switzerland was in Liverpool
Supports
Orlando Pirates

Tribalism is crazy within football... Couldn't agree more with your point.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What part? Vidic was more dominant than Ferdinand and covered his weaknesses very well. At his peak, I thought Vidic was the better defender.
Rio and Vidic's peaks didn't quite overlap. Rio was the best in the world in 06/07 and 07/08, but his back injury caused him to decline a bit just as Vidic hit his peak in 08/09 and the following couple of seasons.

Rio's 07/08 is the best season in the history of the PL for a defender IMO, and probably the second best season any defender has had in the world since the turn of the millennium (Nesta in 02/03 probably being the best). Vidic then started 08/09 even better somehow, but he dropped off a bit in the second half of the season so overall wasn't quite as good.

Reactions: Fortitude

KeanoMagicHat

This thread is so bitter and weird.

He is obviously an excellent centre back. One of the best PL CB’s of the last 10 years.
Him and Trent RedCafe has a massive blind spot to their ability. Understand being biased given who they play for but have to respect their ability.

Stadjer

Him and Trent RedCafe has a massive blind spot to their ability. Understand being biased given who they play for but have to respect their ability.
but but but.. Virgil van Dijk got dribbled passed and Vincius scored against Trent in the CL final. They are shite!

GlasgowCeltic

Yeah. People are just reacting to how the media elevates him to some sort of mythical, best-ever defender level and then overcorrecting the other way. This is amplified, because he seems like a bit of a prick.

But I think there is also some genuine points to be made about how he hasn't had the number of excellent seasons of the likes of Rio, Vidic, Kompany, Terry, etc., and about how he isn't the player he once was. The few Liverpool games I've watched this seasons, it's been Konate that has stood out in defense - not van Dijk.
He shits on Kompany

Robbie Boy

Seeing 'United fans' S-I-M-P for Liverpool players will always be really, really fecking weird to me.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I want to know if he is still keeping the record, because I see him getting dribbled every game but yet for some reason those dribbles are ignored. Does someone from RAWK works at OPTA or something?

Stadjer

Seeing 'United fans' S-I-M-P for Liverpool players will always be really, really fecking weird to me.
It is also a bit weird to not recognise or wanting to admit the quality of a player just because he plays for Liverpool. That is like Liverpool fans claiming that Ronaldo wasnt good or that Paul Scholes was just an average midfielder.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It was Allison's fault not VVD.
Bit of both, but nearly all Allison.

van Dijk was arguably at fault for not heading it, but after that he blocked his man so Allison could clear. Don't know why Allison shat the bed.

Robbie Boy

It is also a bit weird to not recognise or wanting to admit the quality of a player just because he plays for Liverpool. That is like Liverpool fans claiming that Ronaldo wasnt good or that Paul Scholes was just an average midfielder.
Nah, it's much fecking weirder that so called United fans have a tonne of posts in here wanking all over a Liverpool player. Much weirder.

I take it a fair few of these fans are Dutch though.