g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Virgil van Dijk | Performances

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Glad Keane shut him straight down. Getting arrogant for someone that’s only really had 1 good season and plays for a team that’s won 1 premier league title.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
People are funny get so offended over what VVD said. He has a bit of a point and if one of our players would be taking the piss out of a rival club like that, many here would cheer it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You should be happy he said what he said. Brings a little spice back into the rivalry which has been missing.

criticalanalysis

He mentions 'they're buzzing with a point'. There wasn't much footage of the overall pitch but in most of the close ups straight after the match, it was fairly mundane with players shaking hands etc. Nobody looked like they were ecstatic but merely content after a gruelling game.

Unless it was in the dressing rooms and/or our players were jumping for joy or something in the tunnels, this reeks of grandiose delusions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You should be happy he said what he said. Brings a little spice back into the rivalry which has been missing.
It's definitely not helped that, bar 08/09, neither of us have been in competition for the title at the same time. When we were good, you weren't. Now that you're good, we aren't. It's pretty unique, really. We are the big two in England but have never really had a prolonged title chase throughout multiple seasons between us like Real Madrid and Barcelona, AC Milan and Inter, Bayern Munich and Dortmund have. In my lifetime, anyway

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's having a meltdown for whatever reason. Even the fact that they're sitting 2nd is already a miracle because I didn't see a lot between the two teams in that game. They're just as shite as us. Keep crying.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
People are funny get so offended over what VVD said. He has a bit of a point and if one of our players would be taking the piss out of a rival club like that, many here would cheer it.
I'm not gonna lie, if one of my team's players said that I'd cringe and hope he stops talking like that in post match interviews.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Can't believe how much an honest remark has rattled these scouse clowns :lol: They're rolling out all their dinosaurs. Kenny next?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Can't believe how much an honest remark has rattled these scouse clowns :lol: They're rolling out all their dinosaurs. Kenny next?
I heard they're all going to be wearing Virgil is not Arrogant t-shirts before their next game. They love the Streisand effect over there.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Italy next I imagine.
Inter probably.

Then, how do you rate him in PL, if he leaves at the end of the season
1. With Liverpool not winning any trophy.

2. With Liverpool winning the league title

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Inter probably.

Then, how do you rate him in PL, if he leaves at the end of the season
1. With Liverpool not winning any trophy.

2. With Liverpool winning the league title
Doesn’t make sense. He came in 2019. Won the league, CL, FA cup, and league cup

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
You didn't understand my question :D

My question was, if he does leave at the end of the season, with Liverpool winning the title this season where does Van Dijk rank in PL.

Or if Liverpool doesn't win any trophy this season and he leaves where does that leave him at?

I believe with another PL title this season then he solidifies his status as an PL great.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
But if he doesn't win any of those trophies for a second time, is that enough to still rank him among the best ever PL defenders?

Right now his trophy haul doesn't even compare to Gary Cahill, let alone some of the PL greats.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
But if he doesn't win any of those trophies for a second time, is that enough to still rank him among the best ever PL defenders?

Right now his trophy haul doesn't even compare to Gary Cahill, let alone some of the PL greats.
And that’s why a player’s trophy haul is a limited metric.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And that’s why a player’s trophy haul is a limited metric.
It is. Performances are important as well. He was great for a limited time, and wasn't anymore after that, reverting to a good but not excellent defender - being actually pretty bad at times. He'll rank as being one of the good PL defenders historically, but not one of the greats - just a level behind them.

Then the Pool PR machine (which in fairness has been ongoing for him for a while) will try to make sure he is always included in "all time greats" debates, obviously.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was great for a limited time, and wasn't anymore after that, reverting to a good but not excellent defender - being actually pretty bad at times. He'll rank as being one of the good PL defenders historically, but not one of the greats - just a level behind them.
Think that's sort of how I see it, also. A peak for around 12-18 months at an extremely high level, with the rest of his time at Saints/Pool ranging from decent to pretty good.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just imagine your captain saying something like that. Way to add to the uncertainty.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Then the Pool PR machine (which in fairness has been ongoing for him for a while) will try to make sure he is always included in "all time greats" debates, obviously.
The Caf PR machine routinely includes Stam as well in those "greats" lists.

Agree with the overall sentiment though. If he leaves after this season (and even if he doesn't), he'll be a tier below the likes of Terry and Ferdinand.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, better defender than Van Dijk, but too short a time in the PL to reasonably be in there.

Not quite sure how that's relevant though? Was it your gotcha moment?
No, just pointing out that your own fanbase is guilty of overhyping your own players as well. And that a "Liverpool PR machine" doesn't really exist in reality.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No, just pointing out that your own fanbase is guilty of overhyping your own players as well. And that a "Liverpool PR machine" doesn't really exist in reality.
Terms like "your own fanbase" don't actually mean anything though. It also has nothing to do with me or my opinions?

The amount of ex-Liverpool players in the media is actually very real, as is "the Liverpool PR machine" - you just need to see the narrative around the club in general and around Klopp more recently to see how tangible is. You've also already said on this forum you don't follow British media, so what exactly are you arguing here?

You used to be so reasonable, Robin :(

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Stam won 3 league titles in 3 years, including a treble. He also won a lot before and after United which strengthens the argument he was an excellent defender, but doesn't add to his Premier League achievements.

Not sure if your argument works here.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just imagine your captain saying something like that. Way to add to the uncertainty.
It's okay because he wasn't dribbled past for more than 10 games, that's the most important thing to consider.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It is. Performances are important as well. He was great for a limited time, and wasn't anymore after that, reverting to a good but not excellent defender - being actually pretty bad at times. He'll rank as being one of the good PL defenders historically, but not one of the greats - just a level behind them.

I think that just comes from an anti-Liverpool bias.

I'd certainly include him as one of the greats, and I think when all's said and done that's where most people will place him. I'd go further and say that if I had to choose from one of those greats in their prime I'd probably go for Van Dijk.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Terms like "your own fanbase" don't actually mean anything though. It also has nothing to do with me or my opinions?

The amount of ex-Liverpool players in the media is actually very real, as is "the Liverpool PR machine" - you just need to see the narrative around the club in general and around Klopp more recently to see how tangible is. You've also already said on this forum you don't follow British media, so what exactly are you arguing here?
But which "narrative" are you referring to here? I think I am trying to argue that you tend to rate a lot of Liverpool-related things very (extremely) negative because of your dislike of our club. I think you're a great poster but when it comes to Liverpool I routinely find myself thinking that you come across very negative / bitter / biased, whatever you'd like to call it. But it is striking, to me at least.

You used to be so reasonable, Robin :(
It used to be waaayyyy more fun in the football forums when we were still bad, before Klopp came around and during his early days. When most used to laugh at us - now quite a few have turned into the conspiracy theory guys they used to mock back in the days. Trying to stay clear from Liverpool-discussions as much as possible.

Stam won 3 league titles in 3 years, including a treble. He also won a lot before and after United which strengthens the argument he was an excellent defender, but doesn't add to his Premier League achievements.

Not sure if your argument works here.
As someone said above, a player's trophy haul is a limited metric. Stam just happened to be part of a historically strong United team, that's not (entirely) related to how good a defender he was. Van Dijk won everything he could've won at Liverpool in a relatively short timeframe, whilst going up against a better domestic opponent than United did in Stam's period. I actually think they would be in the same tier for me, which is one below the very best defenders.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It used to be waaayyyy more fun in the football forums when we were still bad, before Klopp came around and during his early days. When most used to laugh at us - now quite a few have turned into the conspiracy theory guys they used to mock back in the days. Trying to stay clear from Liverpool-discussions as much as possible.
Ah now I know what I need to do to drive you out of the NFL thread. There's only room for one Saints in there.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ah now I know what I need to do to drive you out of the NFL thread. There's only room for one Saints in there.
You can't handle another Dennis Allen / Derek Carr led season on your own in there mate :lol:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
As someone said above, a player's trophy haul is a limited metric. Stam just happened to be part of a historically strong United team, that's not (entirely) related to how good a defender he was. Van Dijk won everything he could've won at Liverpool in a relatively short timeframe, whilst going up against a better domestic opponent than United did in Stam's period. I actually think they would be in the same tier for me, which is one below the very best defenders.
I actually think you're underplaying Van Dijk there.

It seems to me that the main determinant here (after ability) for who's a PL great and who's not, is just longevity and trophy haul in the league. For example, if Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi moved to the PL in their prime but only stayed for 3 or 4 seasons people wouldn't include them in this list. In which case who cares about the fecking list!