Virgil van Dijk | Performances

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think he’s very good, but 56 pages on our rivals player?
Bloody hell!
A lot of the early pages where spent laughing at the transfer fee for a defender who is not even one of the better ones in the league, then claiming he is basically Smalling with more ability on the ball, then bumping the thread whenever there was the hint of a mistake to discuss how not-good that meant he was. Now we are at the grudging 'still not as good as vidic/rio' stage.

How can allowing any player to shoot from a central position 10 yards from goal only be a 25% chance? If Sissoko wasn't such a twunt. he'd have calmly rolled that into the net no problem. It's just pure fluke Spuds didn't score, nothing to do with the defending.
Because he knew he had a right footed player running at him who wasn't a great finisher even in the best of circumstances. Instead of it being 2v1 with the attackers dictating what happens he forced Sissoko to do the thing he least wanted to do. It's textbook defending.

montpelier

Carragher would have taken man & ball up near halfway. And not even got a yellow, (Anfield).

Game's gone.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
A lot of the early pages where spent laughing at the transfer fee for a defender who is not even one of the better ones in the league, then claiming he is basically Smalling with more ability on the ball, then bumping the thread whenever there was the hint of a mistake to discuss how not-good that meant he was. Now we are at the grudging 'still not as good as vidic/rio' stage.
Just re-read the first five pages, they are glorious in hindsight :lol: Better yet that it's mostly the usual suspects as well who couldn't seem to wait to bash him for any mistake, and still do.

montpelier

And Son should have come around to this side, Sissoko drives slightly to the right & VVD isn't where he wants to be anymore.

Straightforward lay off to the left & Son scores comfortably.

that's easy to say from here, obvs :D

predator

Youth NITK
He did enough to stop a 2 on 1 scoring. He put sissoko off and also stops Son getting involved (who most likely would've scored).

It was a piece of defensive genius.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's neither a bad piece of defending nor the piece of genius that some would have you see it as.

He knows Sissoko is shite at striking the ball. He has scored ONE goal in 82 league appearances for us, for a midfielder that is beyond dreadful. Even Dembele who had horrible striking technique managed to grab a few. It's not rocket science to process that Sissoko getting a shot on goal is better than Son getting one off. He also knows that Sissoko isn't used to this kind of situation so will panic, like he did. You could see Sissoko was desperate to play the pass and was not confident taking it on himself.

I guess it's impressive he processed this in a tense situation, but he's a professional footballer and will know the top PL sides inside and out. Sissoko being crap at shooting is one of the eternal truths of life.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think you're missing a point here. You forgot to add the relentless praise he was receiving, and still is I might add, at every little accomplishment on the pitch - case in point. The OTT criticisms only reflect the OTT praise a rival player has continuously received in this thread. Only 8 of our players performance threads are longer ffs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
To be fair, I was one of the ones who said this and it wasn't meant as an insult.

I was one of the very few who wanted him from Soton, and thought the fee Liverpool were paying would be more than worth it when everyone else was laughing. His talent was as obvious as it comes. However, Smalling himself is a very good defender whose ball playing abilities let him down so, from a defensive POV, I did see similarities. I still do a bit, but van Dijk has obviously gone to an even higher level defensively since I said the initial comment.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
United fans won't like this but IMO he's been at least as good as Vidic/Rio this season, the only thing they have over him is that they did it over numerous seasons, but if he keeps this level up for a couple more seasons he'll definitely be viewed on the same level as those two.

If you win the league he will win POTY and absolutely deserve it, honestly even if you finish a tight second the award should probably go to him. He's been unbelievably good.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
United fans won't like this but IMO he's been at least as good as Vidic/Rio this season, the only thing they have over him is that they did it over numerous seasons, but if he keeps this level up for a couple more seasons he'll definitely be viewed on the same level as those two.

If you win the league he will win POTY and absolutely deserve it, honestly even if you finish a tight second the award should probably go to him. He's been unbelievably good.
It might help him that there's not a standout #1 at City if they win the league. B. Silva, Sterling and Aguero are all deserving of a mention imo.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It might help him that there's not a standout #1 at City if they win the league. B. Silva, Sterling and Aguero are all deserving of a mention imo.
Fernandinho too, he's been excellent.

Van Djik has definitely been the standout player for your lot, but Robertson hasn't been all that far off. That many assists for a left back while being defensively solid as well is so impressive, extremely jealous as you have the left back position sorted for a while now.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Never seen so much arse-licking than on Sunday with the Sissoko chance. He got caught initially then Sissoko still managed to get a shot away and only because he’s so shit did they not score. Yet apparently it’s some amazing piece of defending? Completely made up. Earlier in the game the Spurs defender blocked both Salah shooting and passing to Mane and doesn’t get a mention. Proper embarrassing.

Good player but why the ridiculous over-hyping? To say he’s better than Rio is one thing but he has genuinely been up to a similar standard for one season, but to start saying he’s the best player in the world and the utter nonsense these clown pundits come out with...Christ. I think it’s a mixture of the fact he has made such a difference given how shit they were before so he looks like a godsend, and the fact there is a general overreaction from pundits at anything these days.

When he’s lifting his 5th premier league like Nemanja after being the best defender on the planet for 6 years I’ll sit up and listen. But his career doesn’t even compare with Phil Jones.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Never seen so much arse-licking than on Sunday with the Sissoko chance. He got caught initially then Sissoko still managed to get a shot away and only because he’s so shit did they not score. Yet apparently it’s some amazing piece of defending? Completely made up. Earlier in the game the Spurs defender blocked both Salah shooting and passing to Mane and doesn’t get a mention. Proper embarrassing.

Good player but why the ridiculous over-hyping? To say he’s better than Rio is one thing but he has genuinely been up to a similar standard for one season, but to start saying he’s the best player in the world and the utter nonsense these clown pundits come out with...Christ. I think it’s a mixture of the fact he has made such a difference given how shit they were before so he looks like a godsend, and the fact there is a general overreaction from pundits at anything these days.

When he’s lifting his 5th premier league like Nemanja after being the best defender on the planet for 6 years I’ll sit up and listen. But his career doesn’t even compare with Phil Jones.
TBF, Vidic played in a side that never had to achieve 90+ points just to be in with a chance of winning the league.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Matip is the plonker who rushed in leaving us 1v2. Gomez cant come back soon enough.
Matip had to go with with Kane, none of the midfielders followed Sissoko's run

El Zoido

Pretty much, but it’s a Liverpool player so what do you expect? Embarrassing arse-licking is par for the course every time they do anything decent, which is why even neutral fans don’t want them to win the league.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pretty much, but it’s a Liverpool player so what do you expect? Embarrassing arse-licking is par for the course every time they do anything decent, which is why even neutral fans don’t want them to win the league.
Sounds crazy but I do think a lot of the pundits and commentators (e.g. Tyler and Linekar) love it when Liverpool are doing well because of the nostalgia of it. Brings back memories of the 70s and 80s.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Matip had to go with with Kane, none of the midfielders followed Sissoko's run
He was in no man’s land and way too far off Kane. Either get him fouled before he gets a pass off or back off and cover. Matip did neither, hesitated and was in a useless position.

Liverpool's stats from last year, when he was still finding his feet and a bit error prone.

With him in the team (26 games)
For: 69 goals scored / 2.65 goals per game
Against: 22 goals conceded / 0.85 goals conceded per game
GD: +47
Points per game: 2.27

Without him in the team (12 games)
For: 15 / 1.25
Against: 16 / 1.33
GD: -1
Points per game: 1.33

Pretty impressive.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Salahs goal tonight and how the Southampton defender reacted to it. How was it different from the Sisokko chance from Sunday

The defender did almost the same thing VVD did last Sunday.

Last edited:

frodly

Salahs goal tonight and how the Southampton defender reacted to it. How was it different from the Sisokko chance from Sunday
He let Salah get the shot onto his stronger foot, while Van Dijk forced Sissoko to take the shot on his weaker foot. That is a massive difference.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He let Salah get the shot onto his stronger foot, while Van Dijk forced Sissoko to take the shot on his weaker foot. That is a massive difference.
Sissoko had enough space and time where he could have shifted the ball on his right leg only that Sisokko was not ready to shoot

IrishRedDevil

Sissoko is absolutely useless and a donkey infront of goal. Salah actually knows how to kick a ball. Thats the difference.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

The defender did almost the same thing VVD did last Sunday.
VVD blocked out Son, who is much more likely to score, letting Sissoko take the shot knowing he's not exactly prolific.

This was different as Salah had goal scoring pedigree.

Mcking

The Southampton defender tried to copy the best defender in the europe, but there is a reason Van Dijk is the best defender in europe and the Saint is not.

Exactly. Big difference and shows even though its easy to say what should be done, its much harder to actually do it.

Varun

Staff
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-virgil-van-dijk-is-my-pfa-player-of-the-year

Gary Neville has him as his POTY.

I think he's the best player in the country. Chris Sutton got shit from Paul ince and the presenter on Sky? when he said VVD is the 3rd best player in the world. Imo theres an argument to made.
The only argument to be made there is whether Ince gave Sutton enough shit for that comment.

Personally, I'd have to watch it before deciding one way or the other.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
The argument would last a few seconds, because it's quite obvious as brilliant as he is, he isn't the 3rd best player in the world.
Who do you reckon it is then?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
@StatmanDave
Follow Follow @StatmanDave
Virgil van Dijk’s game by numbers vs. Chelsea:

100% defensive aerials won
100% tackles won
90% pass accuracy
5 ball recoveries
5 clearances
1 interception
1 assist
0 fouls
0 goals conceded

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
@StatmanDave
Follow Follow @StatmanDave
Virgil van Dijk’s game by numbers vs. Chelsea:

100% defensive aerials won
100% tackles won
90% pass accuracy
5 ball recoveries
5 clearances
1 interception
1 assist
0 fouls
0 goals conceded
Wonder what Matips stats were like

Treble

Who do you reckon it is then?
If all star players are available, you think VVD would be the 3rd most picked player in the world? Over Mbappe, Neymar, Hazard, Aguero, Sterling, KDB? Not a chance. Even Salah would be more wanted than VVD. He's a CB and Liverpool's defence is solid because of the defensive shift of the whole team, not only VVD. You've conceded 12 league goals in 2019 which is about the 3rd or 4th best defensive record since the start of the year.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He got done for strength by RLC once, which I was absolutely gobsmacked about. Fair fecks to ruby, but other than that, another dominating performance.

still don’t know why he didn’t give giroud a go against him. Higauin was a body in the right position, but he was pretty shite otherwise.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
He got done for strength by RLC once, which I was absolutely gobsmacked about. Fair fecks to ruby, but other than that, another dominating performance.

still don’t know why he didn’t give giroud a go against him. Higauin was a body in the right position, but he was pretty shite otherwise.
That RLC challenge i don't think VVD expected him to make it. His biggest weakness right now is his own attitude, on occasions he acts way too casual and few times it's almost cost us.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
The strikers are clearly avoiding him. Seems to win every duel currently. If he can keep up this level for another two years or so he'll rightfully be regarded as one of the best center backs the league has seen

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That RLC challenge i don't think VVD expected him to make it. His biggest weakness right now is his own attitude, on occasions he acts way too casual and few times it's almost cost us.
Yeah, but I think it’s kinda part and parcel of his composure. Rough with the smooth and all that!

GeorgieBoy

Guy is incredible! Physical and intelligent.
Not sure if its recency bias or me just being a bitter United fan; but I don't ever recall Rio/Vidic getting the sort of 'love in' VVD is getting? He still needs to perform at this level and win things for a few more years to be compared to the aforementioned IMO.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure if its recency bias or me just being a bitter United fan; but I don't ever recall Rio/Vidic getting the sort of 'love in' VVD is getting? He still needs to perform at this level and win things for a few more years to be compared to the aforementioned IMO.
There were more quality CB's around in the days of peak Rio - Vidic. If one of them played today, they'd get the same hype if not more. It's just an overall weak era for CB's at the moment, therefore Van Dijk stands out.

Nevertheless, he's been immense for Liverpool.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think its also the increase in global exposure in general.